• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2013 |OT| Racism, Pokémon, and the Pursuit of Saltiness

is it a forgone conclusion that vanek signs with the wild in the offseason? assume they would buy out heatley first, but do they spend all that cash after last offseason's shopping spree?

edit: n/m, heatley will be a UFA

Well in the year Hall was draft the other option was...Seguin? Its.. hard to really blame the organization, the picks were indisputably considered the "best in the draft".

In the RNH year they could have taken Landeskog but they had just taken a winger in Hall so... choice was pretty clear there imo.

In 2012 yea they could've and probably should have taken Ryan Murray. Perhaps they were looking at it and thought Hall -RNH - Yakupov was gonna be their line of the future idk.

Besides its early, with Stamkos I don't think anyone expected him to do what he has done that quickly, Tavares now has a solid core of guys around him and Kane plays in Chicago with a real good team.

Yeah, that's definitely true.

The way they surrounded that talent though...

They just tanked three years in a row and threw them to the wolves without adding veteran pieces to shelter and help them.

Rich Smith ‏@ALLsportsINTEL 8h
Oilers reportedly would want Simmonds, Coburn and either Couturier or Laughton for Nail Yakupov and Hemsky

Hlmg pls.

Flyers desperately need more offense but I am not sure I would do that trade. It is possible that Nail just needs a change of scenery to become a big time player but I am not sold on that. I dont hate that trade but it does seem pretty risky.

Flyers are gonna shock the world tonight anyways.

By scoring 3 goals in 1 game

Samyy

Yeah, that's definitely true.

The way they surrounded that talent though...

They just tanked three years in a row and threw them to the wolves without adding veteran pieces to shelter and help them.

The problem stems from maybe management and the media expecting them to get anything done when they now need a period of growth. I don't know if we would be talking about the Oilers so much if they hadn't been hyped like crazy to start. Obviously this pushes pressure on guys like Hall, RNH and Eberle to sort of carry the team, which they may not be ready for.

Obvously everyone is very....tired of losing in the city but they need a chance to let more of their character guys grow and develop, find a few veteran pieces and spend a draft or two shoring up their defensive prospects. They pushed the hype 2-3 years too early.

This all makes me Kinda look back on it now im shocked at how well Burke orchestrated our rebuild. We have a team thats ready to fight for the playoffs every year, and a decent pool of prospects, mostly in defence. Nonis has done a good job giving us two stellar options in net. All this done without having to tank to the bottom and rely on top 5 picks.

It's crazy to think how much better shape the Oilers would be in if they prioritized getting established defensemen and goaltending.

They probably could have offered a better deal than Toronto for Bernier. They probably could have offered a better deal than St Louis for Bouwmeester. Visnovsky went for a 2nd round pick a couple years ago, etc.

But nope. Gotta keep the superstar kids!

I'm guessing Calgary and L.A would've wanted way more though.

Division rivals and all.

I would've done that Schneider deal though.

Merguson

Banned
So JVR had a maintenance day.. and carlyle says he's a question mark for tonight?

Let me calculate this.. and..

he's out for months, without any doubt

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The problem stems from maybe management and the media expecting them to get anything done when they now need a period of growth. I don't know if we would be talking about the Oilers so much if they hadn't been hyped like crazy to start. Obviously this pushes pressure on guys like Hall, RNH and Eberle to sort of carry the team, which they may not be ready for.

Obvously everyone is very....tired of losing in the city but they need a chance to let more of their character guys grow and develop, find a few veteran pieces and spend a draft or two shoring up their defensive prospects. They pushed the hype 2-3 years too early.

This all makes me Kinda look back on it now im shocked at how well Burke orchestrated our rebuild. We have a team thats ready to fight for the playoffs every year, and a decent pool of prospects, mostly in defence. Nonis has done a good job giving us two stellar options in net. All this done without having to tank to the bottom and rely on top 5 picks.
Ummmmm before we go sack lathering BB we did have a 2nd and a 5th overall and we also had a 7th and 4th too. They might not be intentionally tanking but it happened. I still don't think though that the Kessel trade was too one sided

Also the Bernier to Toronto rumours had been around for ages so I wonder if it wasn't also something in the works.

Still we're in better shape than the Oil

yyzjohn

Banned
Ummmmm before we go sack lathering BB we did have a 2nd and a 5th overall and we also had a 7th and 4th too. They might not be intentionally tanking but it happened. I still don't think though that the Kessel trade was too one sided

Also the Bernier to Toronto rumours had been around for ages so I wonder if it wasn't also something in the works.

Still we're in better shape than the Oil

The Oilers situation just goes to show you that the theory that if you tank for 4-5 seasons and draft in the top 5 isn't a guaranteed recipe for success. You need a mix of the right players both younger and more mature guys, and most importantly you need to build out the back first, especially in goal.

The Oilers situation just goes to show you that the theory that if you tank for 4-5 seasons and draft in the top 5 isn't a guaranteed recipe for success. You need a mix of the right players both younger and more mature guys, and most importantly you need to build out the back first, especially in goal.

Its not just that. They just don't have ANY of the pieces for a cup run.

Vezina calibur goaltender? Nope
Norris Trophy contender? Nope, you actually draft those outside of the 1st round
Selke contender? Legit 1st line center? Nope, Nope.

If you want to know where the real problem is with the team. Its the front office. They do not know wtf they are doing.

Sounds like a job for............ You can probably guess who by now.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Miller on the 4th line wing in practice. What a fuckin waste. Just leave him in the AHL to play top minutes if you're not gonna play him properly.
I really don't understand why Pyatt and Miller haven't swapped lines. Miller-Boyle-Fast and Pyatt-Moore-Dorsett make so much more sense than what they're going with.

Also, Asham and Biron cleared waivers. Poor guys, nobody wants them.

I really don't understand why Pyatt and Miller haven't swapped lines. Miller-Boyle-Fast and Pyatt-Moore-Dorsett make so much more sense than what they're going with.

Also, Asham and Biron cleared waivers. Poor guys, nobody wants them.

I loved how Asham was about it. Was basically like "Eh, it is what it is." Biron says he might retire. Would save the Rangers some dough.

kingslunk

My stars prediction tonight: Stars are going to look like a much better team tonight, fix some of their glaring issues and bring the Avs back down to earth. 3-1 Stars.

Looks like The Monster is getting a 2nd start in a row.

8475361.jpg

He gazes into your soul and destroys you!!

Acid08

Banned
Blues tonight, not looking forward to it. The games are usually either boring or we just get dominated. At lease Shark Killer Andy Macdonald isn't there anymore.

LevelNth

Banned
Ferraro pointing out on Twitter that the recording and accumulation of these "advanced" statistics is often done incorrectly during games. Never mind that there is a degree of subjectivity about them as well. What else needs to said about these BS stats?

It's about time Corsi and Fenwick go to die. Statistics with so little predictive usability and reliability just have no purpose being discussed, especially since more and more evidence is coming out that their recording isn't even uniform.

Statistics are science and these don't fit.

It's honestly the most ridiculous thing to happen to hockey since the puck highlight on Fox.

Samyy

Ferraro pointing out on Twitter that the recording and accumulation of these "advanced" statistics is often done incorrectly during games. Never mind that there is a degree of subjectivity about them as well. What else needs to said about these BS stats?

It's about time Corsi and Fenwick go to die. Statistics with so little predictive usability and reliability just have no purpose being discussed, especially since more and more evidence is coming out that their recording isn't even uniform.

It's honestly the most ridiculous thing to happen to hockey since the puck highlight on Fox.

Why you so mad though, they have opinions and you have yours. Nothing needs to die, it'll probably evolve over time. If you don't care about it just don't pay attention to it.

yyzjohn

Banned

I tend to agree that advanced stats in hockey are way too subjective and difficult to accumulate. Everyone points to baseball, but that's a fucking simple game where you can easily measure the stats. In hockey, it's free flowing, different players on the ice effect the play at all times, and based on how tired or fresh they are coming off the bench, it can totally fuck with another's players stat who's also on the ice. Factor in the different buildings measuring stats however they feel like it and it's impossible to have reliable advanced stats system. Maybe it'll improve over time and rink to rink they'll be more consistent in recording these stats, but for right now to definitively say "team A is shit because this Corsi/Fenwick stat says so" is stupid.

Top Bottom