• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2013 |OT| Racism, Pokémon, and the Pursuit of Saltiness

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Ferraro pointing out on Twitter that the recording and accumulation of these "advanced" statistics is often done incorrectly during games. Never mind that there is a degree of subjectivity about them as well. What else needs to said about these BS stats?

It's about time Corsi and Fenwick go to die. Statistics with so little predictive usability and reliability just have no purpose being discussed, especially since more and more evidence is coming out that their recording isn't even uniform.

Statistics are science and these don't fit.

It's honestly the most ridiculous thing to happen to hockey since the puck highlight on Fox.

Advanced stats will be the future in how we look at players but for now it still needs tweaking as shown with your post.

My hope is if the Leafs make the playoffs and still show the advanced stats were wrong it may trigger these guys to start trying to figure out why it was wrong and how to properly use the stats.

But it may not matter as I said Mirtle seems to already be changing his song more to you can't win a Stanley Cup with these stats instead of you can't be a playoff team with these stats.

Holiday

Banned
Blues tonight, not looking forward to it. The games are usually either boring or we just get dominated. At lease Shark Killer Andy Macdonald isn't there anymore.

Sharks are fast and vicious on the forecheck, right? They will crush the Blues like seals between their jaws.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'd kill to have Simmonds on the Habs but they don't have anything they could give up for him. Exactly what the Habs need.

Montresor

You get dedis! And YOU get dedis! EVERYONE GETS DEDIS!

I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Awesome news but I might cancel my preorder anyway. I could game on nothing but 360 for the next two years and always have something interesting to play...

I hope tonight's Leafs game is really close. Let's grind out a win against Minnesota... It'll be huge challenge.

Samyy

Awesome news but I might cancel my preorder anyway. I could game on nothing but 360 for the next two years and always have something interesting to play...

I hope tonight's Leafs game is really close. Let's grind out a win against Minnesota... It'll be huge challenge.

The whole next week is a real big test.
A tough game against Minnesota, a should win game against Carolina and then probably our toughest opponents so far in the Hawks.

The whole next week is a real big test.
A tough game against Minnesota, a should win game against Carolina and then probably our toughest opponents so far in the Hawks.

I think the Leafs will lose tonight. No JVR, Clarkson, Kulemin and Fraser - it's too much, even if we do have The 2012 Authentic 1st Overall Pick Morgan Rielly in the line-up.

Samyy

I think the Leafs will lose tonight. No JVR, Clarkson, Kulemin and Fraser - it's too much, even if we do have The 2012 Authentic 1st Overall Pick Morgan Rielly in the line-up.

Yea me too, but the Wild do have their 3rd string goalie in so who knows. Kessel needs to have a big game.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Anyone know on average how much data it takes to stream one game in the highest settings on Hockeystreams?

Samyy

Anyone know on average how much data it takes to stream one game in the highest settings on Hockeystreams?

For just the periods or the total broadcast?
If its HD I imagine over the course of 3 hours it would be around 1.5 gigs? Assuming its compressed like Youtube/Netflix.

lupinko

E3x.png

B5YI7N1.jpg

Do we know if he's on the Pokeybandwagon or he's Skylanders-exclusive?

I tend to agree that advanced stats in hockey are way too subjective and difficult to accumulate. Everyone points to baseball, but that's a fucking simple game where you can easily measure the stats. In hockey, it's free flowing, different players on the ice effect the play at all times, and based on how tired or fresh they are coming off the bench, it can totally fuck with another's players stat who's also on the ice. Factor in the different buildings measuring stats however they feel like it and it's impossible to have reliable advanced stats system. Maybe it'll improve over time and rink to rink they'll be more consistent in recording these stats, but for right now to definitively say "team A is shit because this Corsi/Fenwick stat says so" is stupid.

Teams track their own stats. Also I don't think anyone says Team A it's good/bad just because of Corsi/Fenwick except James Mirtle.

Samyy

JHAmdrv.png

Galchenyuk pls.
Seriously though, I guess people are checking out Gardiner? Unless someone from the Wild is available.

Razorskin

----- ------
Advanced stats are junk. Yolo blazeit

The only people who seem to care about it in this thread are Leafs fans, I know they're conditioned to care about arbitrary things besides wins after all these years but I though they would snap out of it once their team started actually doing well.

Samyy

The only people who seem to care about it in this thread are Leafs fans, I know they're conditioned to care about arbitrary things besides wins after all these years but I though they would snap out of it once their team started actually doing well.

Hey its not all of us, and the reason why is because theres a reporter in Toronto that heavily relies on and cites advanced stats when discussing the Leafs and he reallllly ticks people off. It also helps that advanced stats make Toronto look like a shitty team and therefore you get more of a vocal reaction from one of the largest fanbases in the league.

Fei

Bob McKenzie tells TSN Drive that the Sabres are in no rush to deal Vanek but teams like the Oilers could be hot on Ryan Miller.

Edmonton would be an ideal trade partner for the Sabres. Rich in prospects and it's a good bet their pick would be in the lottery. That said, I think Darcy Regier still holds a grudge against Lowe for the Vanek offer sheet.

They (SOME of Leafs-GAF, to be fair) are just whining about them because the team looks awful through that lense. If next year they have the top Corsi rating, you'll hear them raving how the Leafs really the best team in the league.

Cactus

Banned
I definitely think there's a place in the game for advanced stats, but I don't think we're at the point where we can use them to accurately examine the effectiveness of a player without other factors being considered. With that being said, if certain advanced statistics are deemed credible after a multi-year evaluation process, I have no issue lumping them in with the more mainstream statistics (which have their own issues).

I mean, we regularly look at hits, giveaways and takeaways when evaluating players, and all of those stats are recorded by some guy in a booth whose ability to accurately record these specific apects of the game might be clouded by bias.

Teams track their own stats. Also I don't think anyone says Team A it's good/bad just because of Corsi/Fenwick except James Mirtle.

Actually, 29 teams use Corsi and QualComp numbers to look at how their players progress. The only team who doesn't is actually NJ from what I understand.

Some teams go as far as hiring their own stat team using Corsi and QualComps in minors to help determine their draft table.

Curufinwe

I definitely think there's a place in the game for advanced stats, but I don't think we're at the point where we can use them to accurately examine the effectiveness of a player without other factors being considered. With that being said, if certain advanced statistics are deemed credible after a multi-year evaluation process, I have no issue lumping them in with the more mainstream statistics (which have their own issues).

I mean, we regularly look at hits, giveaways and takeaways when evaluating players, and all of those stats are recorded by some guy in a booth whose ability to accurately record these specific apects of the game might be clouded by bias.

A few days ago on a Flyers board someone said Grossmann had no turnovers for the season. I knew that wasn't right because he turned the puck over in the first minute against Florida leading to a great scoring chance. It was even included on the official highlights. But it was ruled as a takeaway by Versteeg, not a giveaway by Grossmann. So there was no statistical record of his mistake.

http://flyers.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/icetracker?id=2013020039

Top Bottom