• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2013 |OT| Racism, Pokémon, and the Pursuit of Saltiness

toro5741

I think it's going to end up being a rental, but Moulson was on the last year of his deal too. The more I think about it, the more excited I am to see Tavares and Vanek play together... it's safe to say that they'll both be the most talented line mate the other has had at the NHL level so far.

Fubar's secretly wishing Vanek signs with Minnesota.
If the Wild don't go after a UFA defender or goalie, sure.
The last thing the Wild need is fucking Phaneuf on our team. And we are in no need of a goalie.

Phaneuf would be a fantastic addition to our defense and essentially give us a second first pairing if Dumba improves enough to handle it. Suter/Brodin + Phaneuf/Dumba. Good night. But it's not really worth discussing right now when we're so far away.

And Harding/Backstrom is a shaky tandem IMO. Backstrom has been a bit too injury prone recently for my tastes. And he's getting older, which doesn't help. Harding is Harding. He's been playing really well, for sure, but you never know what will happen with his MS. I would not say that the Wild need a goalie, but if they have to spend money this off-season and strike out on a defender, I'd pull the trigger on one of Miller/Lundqvist if they were available.

Vman

If the Wild don't go after a UFA defender or goalie, sure.

Phaneuf would be a fantastic addition to our defense and essentially give us a second first pairing if Dumba improves enough to handle it. Suter/Brodin + Phaneuf/Dumba. Good night. But it's not really worth discussing right now when we're so far away.

And Harding/Backstrom is a shaky tandem IMO. Backstrom has been a bit too injury prone recently for my tastes. And he's getting older, which doesn't help. Harding is Harding. He's been playing really well, for sure, but you never know what will happen with his MS. I would not say that the Wild need a goalie, but if they have to spend money this off-season and strike out on a defender, I'd pull the trigger on one of Miller/Lundqvist if they were available.

Sure, but i would rather go out and get a solid cheap d-men then overpay for Phaneuf. And i'm probably more fond of Harding/Backs more then you so i can see why you would want to upgrade there

Sure, but i would rather go out and get a solid cheap d-men then overpay for Phaneuf. And i'm probably more fond of Harding/Backs more then you so i can see why you would want to upgrade there

I can agree with both of these for sure. I would be fine with going into next season with Backstrom/Harding if we had to, but I'd still like to see either an upgrade brought in(UFA) or significant improvements made from either Kuemper or Gustafsson(sp?).

Here is a list of current defenders set for free agency next off-season. There is Dan Boyle, Dion Phaneuf, Dan Girardi, and then a huge drop-off. There are other potential guys like Meszaros or Orpik, but I'd rather just go all-in on one of those top three guys haha. Especially since we're dumping Heatley's 7.5m dead weight.

Acid08

Banned
I can agree with both of these for sure. I would be fine with going into next season with Backstrom/Harding if we had to, but I'd still like to see either an upgrade brought in(UFA) or significant improvements made from either Kuemper or Gustafsson(sp?).

Here is a list of current defenders set for free agency next off-season. There is Dan Boyle, Dion Phaneuf, Dan Girardi, and then a huge drop-off. There are other potential guys like Meszaros or Orpik, but I'd rather just go all-in on one of those top three guys haha. Especially since we're dumping Heatley's 7.5m dead weight.
All signs are pointing to Boyle staying here.

Both players are UFAs, Vanek probably wasn't going to re-sign with Buffalo and Moulson apparently requested a trade.

Doesn't sound like it:

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 19m
#Isles Just spoke with Matt Moulson "I was surprised...I thought this could be a possibility but I didn't think this was going to happen."

#Isles Moulson: "I guess this is what happens in pro sports. I gotta move on. I'll obviously miss everyone, but this will be a new chapter."

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 16m
#Isles Tough timing for Moulson family. 14-month old daughter and they just had newborn son. Moulson packing up, heading to Buff tmrw

Yeah I don't get what the Isles were thinking with this trade. Vanek is probably the more talented of the two, but i don't think the gap in their talent is equal to a first and second round pick.

Maybe Moulson told them he was not going to resign so they figured they'd swap him with someone who might possibly, but even that seems like a stab in the dark.

Vman

I'd just rather get Schultz back or get a guy like Greene or Mitchell and also sign Vanek

yyzjohn

Banned
Yeah I don't get what the Isles were thinking with this trade. Vanek is probably the more talented of the two, but i don't think the gap in their talent is equal to a first and second round pick.

Maybe Moulson told them he was not going to resign so they figured they'd swap him with someone who might possibly, but even that seems like a stab in the dark.

The dynamic duo.

wang_snow.jpg

Vanek, for me, is potentially one of the game's elite wingers. If the Isles can (a) make the playoffs and (b) resign Vanek, it's a total success for them.

toro5741

Well, here's what Snow said:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...888?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

"I didn't like the way we'd been playing," Islanders general manager Garth Snow told Newsday on Sunday night. "We're better than our record indicates and we need to take the next step. Thomas is an elite player in this league and he'll help us now and in the future."

I don't think this had so much to do with Moulson being unsignable. He was a desirable asset for the Sabres though, a pending UFA who could be moved again at the deadline for more picks if they so choose.

Vanek, for me, is potentially one of the game's elite wingers. If the Isles can (a) make the playoffs and (b) resign Vanek, it's a total success for them.

Yeah, but that's a lot of ifs. Seems like a pretty big risk.

But yeah it could work out for them, and I guess if things go south as far as even making the playoffs, they could unload Vanek at the deadline.

Top Bottom