• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2013 |OT| Racism, Pokémon, and the Pursuit of Saltiness

Merguson

Banned
That Incarceratedbob guy on twitter had the trade called 30 mins ago and was the first to get the scoop :lol never thought I'd see the day.

Isn't he an Islanders fan?

Like Eklund, he probably has some source in the organization. The "rest of the league" rumors are likely bullshit.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Isn't he an Islanders fan?

Like Eklund, he probably has some source in the organization. The "rest of the league" rumors are likely bullshit.
I believe so, even still, that's quite the scoop to land. Might just be his Eklund / Carter & Richards moment though, like you said.

Acid08

Banned
If Vanek turns out to just be a rental then the Isles really fucked that up. Huge risk on their part and even if he does resign it's a nice overpayment. They're not exactly on the cusp of having a contending team.

Razorskin

----- ------
Big E Langston

GZUKvFD.gif

Man that bad bounce really fucked up the tempo of the game.

Also, Islanders may have made a big mistake. A guy like Vanek is what you add after you address the rest of the problems with the team, he's not going to want to stick around if he can get the same money with a better group.

Steep steep price unless Vanek stays after this season. Are the Islanders ready to pay him 8 years at $7.5m?

I think the Islanders will hand him a blank check. Question is, does Vanek want to play there? Are the Minnesota rumors true? Isles aren't winning the cup this year, playoff bound but cup isn't happening. Isles need help in goal and on D. Lot's of good D prospects in Pulock and Reinhart but they are still young.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
It's a rental. I don't see how they re-sign somebody who is going to want substantially more in UFA than what the captain, and face of the franchise will make for the next 4 years...

well.. why not if he plays well? new york should throw lots of money at him and hope

players may not like the trade at first but then realize it's not so bad when they finally get to play for them

also moving to brooklyn might be seen as a positive

Fei

I hate to lose Vanek, but that's a great haul. Sabres can trade Moulson at the deadline for more of they want. :lol

Quick

Banned
Isles paid way too much for Vanek.

2 picks and a player for a rental. I guess the Sabres were adamant on getting a roster player back.

Hopefully that means the end of those silly Vanek to Minnesota rumors floating around everywhere.

That money should go to a defender like Girardi or Phaneuf or a goaltender like Miller or Lundqvist, if anybody.

I would be completely fine getting through free agency without making any substantial moves as well. But that's way down the line. Lots of hockey to play yet.

Hopefully that means the end of those silly Vanek to Minnesota rumors floating around everywhere.

That money should go to a defender like Girardi or Phaneuf or a goaltender like Miller or Lundqvist, if anybody.

I would be completely fine getting through free agency without making any substantial moves as well. But that's way down the line. Lots of hockey to play yet.

Why? He's still a UFA. They will be there for the entire year or until he signs an extension.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Yikes.

Dubi doesn't really ever make contact with his head though, or if he does it's very slight. It's that he hits Koivu's stick which bashes into his own face. Still brutal, but a really weird hit.

I don't know how you handle that in terms of supplemental discipline.

RC

Banned
Yikes.

Dubi doesn't really ever make contact with his head though, or if he does it's very slight. It's that he hits Koivu's stick which bashes into his own face. Still brutal, but a really weird hit.

I don't know how you handle that in terms of supplemental discipline.

It was a tad late, so at least a game or two is in order. But who knows with Shanaban.

Fei

All sources in Buffalo pointed to Vanek going to Minny in the offseason. Supposedly his friends/family all talk about it like it's a done deal.

Vman

The last thing the Wild need is fucking Phaneuf on our team. And we are in no need of a goalie.

Samyy

The last thing the Wild need is fucking Phaneuf on our team. And we are in no need of a goalie.

Phaneuf was 6th in norris voting last year.
But yea Phaneuf sucks man. He's only shutdown Crosby, Toews, Kane, Getzlaf, Perry in the last couple games we've played.

Top Bottom