• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2013 |OT| Racism, Pokémon, and the Pursuit of Saltiness

Red Wings Twitter said:
CONFIRMED: You can see Sergei Fedorov wear the Winged Wheel one more time at the 2013 Alumni Showdown.

Best news this entire season!! FEDEROV!!!!! Maybe we can sign him to play this year, even at his age he probably is still better than half the guys on the team right now.

I'm really looking forward to the Alumni game more than the regular Winter Classic game right now.

yyzjohn

Banned
So a Leafs blogger made a post highlighting a lot of Kessel bashing over the last few years, non-Toronto fans I hope you guys will have a quick look and understand why a large majority of us cannot stand the media and why you see us bitch about them so hard:

http://theleafsnation.com/2013/10/30/the-phil-kessel-bus-tossing-database

Some of those articles are pathetic and just shows how short-sighted and stupid the media can be. They constantly rip Leafs management for not being patient and trading guys away too early, and then they write shit like that, where a bunch of them all wanted Kessel traded before he was even 25.

Merguson

Banned
So a Leafs blogger made a post highlighting a lot of Kessel bashing over the last few years, non-Toronto fans I hope you guys will have a quick look and understand why a large majority of us cannot stand the media and why you see us bitch about them so hard:

http://theleafsnation.com/2013/10/30/the-phil-kessel-bus-tossing-database
Damien Cox in March 2012

For starters, Kessel isn’t a Carlyle player and he’s not going to be. In this spectacular 18-game crash that began after that impressive Saturday night victory in Ottawa, Kessel has continued to produce numbers — seven goals and 11 assists — but hasn’t asserted himself in any way as a player who can carry or lead a struggling team.
Damien Cox Today:
Kessel will never be a fire-and-brimstone type leader. But that kind of play is another form of invaluable leadership.

Kessel can't lead. He's not a Carlyle player.

Now has invaluable leadership and continues to play at a point-per-game pace!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Add me, Spl1nters.

Me and a couple other people use the Neogaf unofficial mumble for voip when we play.

Feschuk was shitting all over Kessel again this morning on tsn radio. What a joke.

Yeah I just heard, apparently they brought up the article I linked and asked him about it.

From what I saw he just basically called Kessel "Mr. October" and said something about Kessel isn't even a 50 goal scorer nor will he do what is needed to win a championship.

Feschuk has easily moved near Simmons for King Turd in my books when it comes to the media.

Spl1nter

Yeah I just heard, apparently they brought up the article I linked and asked him about it.

From what I saw he just basically called Kessel "Mr. October" and said something about Kessel isn't even a 50 goal scorer nor will he do what is needed to win a championship.

Feschuk has easily moved near Simmons for King Turd in my books when it comes to the media.

Last year: Kessel off to slow start, trade him away before he has no value.

This year: Kessel killing it, its only October and doesnt play in playoffs.

Poor phil cant catch a break but that is what happens when you are poor with the media.

qsITTs6.png

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Canucks-GAF, small thought experiment: IF AV had had the idea of trying/playing Kesler on the wing with the Sedins, would Hodgson still have gotten traded?

Would our top9 look like

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler
Booth-Hodgson-Burrows
Higgins-Santorelli-Hansen

? :(

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Last year: Kessel off to slow start, trade him away before he has no value.

This year: Kessel killing it, its only October and doesnt play in playoffs.

Poor phil cant catch a break but that is what happens when you are poor with the media.

The media here is terrible.

Acid08

Banned
Boyle and Havlat are game time decisions tonight. Havlat skated on Pavs long in practice, replacing Nieto. Super interested to see how he would do there, a final third line of Torres-Pavs-Havlat also sounds really interesting.

But don't know how I feel about having two guys fresh off injuries in against the Kings. Havlat in particular hasn't played since June.

Quick

Banned
... You've been able to do that on 360 for a long time... (No idea about ps3, don't have one)

Yeah, half the games available allow you to play music while playing a game. In NHL 14 specifically, you get to put in custom goal horns and arena music.

Parch

Yeah, poor Leafs :( they never get the attention they deserve
Leafs win a game and fans act like their "dynasty" has been wrongly covered by "unfair" media. Good grief.

It's such a joke when the Leafs come to town. Half the crowd are these transplants who came to Alberta for jobs because Ontario sucks. When Leafs win they act like we should be honored by their holy presence.

Leaf fans are a never ending source of hilarious entertainment.

Samyy

Leafs win a game and fans act like their "dynasty" has been wrongly covered by "unfair" media. Good grief.

It's such a joke when the Leafs come to town. Half the crowd are these transplants who came to Alberta for jobs because Ontario sucks. When Leafs win they act like we should be honored by their holy presence.

Edmonton fan?
And we're the source of hilarious entertainment? lol.

yyzjohn

Banned

You didn't actually read what we're complaining about with the media related to Kessel did you? Your beef sounds bitter and childish, but carry on.

Heretic

Teemu out 4 to 6 weeks. Needs oral surgery. Missing several teeth and needed 40 stitches...

Injuries, injuries, injuries.

ANAHEIM DUCKS
UPDATED PLAYER POS INJURY
10/30/13 Teemu Selanne RW Mouth
10/29/13 Saku Koivu C Head
10/24/13 Matt Beleskey LW Thumb
10/24/13 Dustin Penner LW Concussion
10/22/13 Viktor Fasth G Lower Body
09/30/13 Luca Sbisa D Ankle
09/30/13 Sheldon Souray D Wrist

yyzjohn

Banned
Teemu out 4 to 6 weeks. Needs oral surgery. Missing several teeth and needed 40 stitches...

ANAHEIM DUCKS

Damn, that's quite the list.

TUSR

Banned

ANAHEIM DUCKS

Teemu :(

Canucks-GAF, small thought experiment: IF AV had had the idea of trying/playing Kesler on the wing with the Sedins, would Hodgson still have gotten traded?

Would our top9 look like

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler
Booth-Hodgson-Burrows
Higgins-Santorelli-Hansen

? :(

I mentioned this a couple pages back. I think AV valued Kesler as a two-way shutdown centre too much to replace him with anyone else. Hodgson wasn't strong defensively and frankly there was nothing wrong with Burrows and the Sedins.

Santorelli can't be 2C forever. But hopefully his recent play means that Selke Kesler is back and he'll score 40 while playing with scrubs.

Torts hasn't tried Kassian with the Sedins yet either.

Moral of the story: Sedins play well with anyone. Put an elite player with them and they get even better.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Leafs really seem to have some of the worst writers and reporters in the business, almost everyone of them is a stuck up, know it all prick. Montreal has that too, but they have some great sensible writers to balance out the stupidity.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Leafs really seem to have some of the worst writers and reporters in the business, almost everyone of them is a stuck up, know it all prick. Montreal has that too, but they have some great sensible writers to balance out the stupidity.

Did you read "About Last Night" on hockey inside out. Some interesting points about Subban of late. Wonder what's going on. Therrien being Therrien?

I'm not even a Leafs fan, but...

1) Learn to read

2)

tumblr_m1z5jtM2Aw1r76nwy.gif

Red_Man

Did you read "About Last Night" on hockey inside out. Some interesting points about Subban of late. Wonder what's going on. Therrien being Therrien?
It worries me because before Therrien got the HC job, he was on L'antichambre ragging on PK every night and has seem to have it out for him since the beginning. He refuses to give him any credit and is constantly beating him down too, did you see the episode of 24 CH where he just shits on him? I understand tough love coaching, but I really hope he doesn't run him out of town.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It worries me because before Therrien got the HC job, he was on L'antichambre ragging on PK every night and has seem to have it out for him since the beginning. He refuses to give him any credit and is constantly beating him down too, did you see the episode of 24 CH where he just shits on him? I understand tough love coaching, but I really hope he doesn't run him out of town.

Yeah, saw that, it's pretty fucked. Therrien is worse than Smelly.

It really pisses me off. If Therrien keeps shitting on him it is going to make it more difficult to sign him. Maybe if PK was French?

Giggzy

It's 4-6 weeks for Teemu now?!? Did that just get updated? Ducks site said he'll return in two weeks.

Heretic, your list is missing Silfverberg who is 4-6 weeks. Did you mistake that for Teemu?

Red_Man

It really pisses me off. If Therrien keeps shitting on him it is going to make it more difficult to sign him. Maybe if PK was French?
I think it's just PK's cocky attitude that rubs him the wrong way, and he's afraid if he praises him or uses him like he should it'll go to his head. Guy won a Norris, fucking use him like he did. Really frustrating to watch, if they ever end up having to trade him because of this shit I'll light a building on fire.

Heretic

It's 4-6 weeks for Teemu now?!? Did that just get updated? Ducks site said he'll return in two weeks.

Heretic, your list is missing Silfverberg who is 4-6 weeks. Did you mistake that for Teemu?

Damn... Copied and pasted off of a site.

Add Silf :'(

RC

Banned

So does Therrien make PK sit in the back of the team bus?

yyzjohn

Banned

This is what bugs Leafs fans. So many media members here write shit just to cause controversy and get reactions it seems. No sensible reporting, only reactionary ripping of the team after a few bad games. As late as this summer reporters were calling for Kessel to be traded and he's not worth building around, meanwhile he'll probably finish top 10 in scoring again this year. These are the same reporters who love to rip Leafs management if some player is traded away and succeeds somewhere else. They want it both ways, keep guys, trade guys, rip away.

Acid08

Banned
I was just pontificating on how much I hate the Ranger's own beat writers - anybody else feel that way about their beat writers?
We have two main beat guys.

Dave Pollak is really close to the team and gets to write nice personal pieces because he has access to the players a lot. Because of this he doesn't really ask tough questions, doesn't want to sour anything he has going with the team.

Kevin Kurz is a pretty new guy(used to write about the Flyers in Philly apparently) and he's an idiot. Runs his mouth about players and has horrible opinions on the team(trade Demers for a 7th, buyout Marleau). Sometimes he does squeak a gem in there, he really got on the organization over what's been going on with Havlat. Mostly he's a stupid piece of garbage though.

I prefer the output that Pollak gives us.

Red_Man

What's going on with Subban/Therrien?
Therrien refuses to play him on the PK or in the final minutes of a close game, and is constantly berating him and never giving him credit, while giving other shitty players tonnes of credit for doing nothing. He's had an agenda against him for years, going back to his broadcasting days.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
This is what bugs Leafs fans. So many media members here write shit just to cause controversy and get reactions it seems. No sensible reporting, only reactionary ripping of the team after a few bad games. As late as this summer reporters were calling for Kessel to be traded and he's not worth building around, meanwhile he'll probably finish top 10 in scoring again this year. These are the same reporters who love to rip Leafs management if some player is traded away and succeeds somewhere else. They want it both ways, keep guys, trade guys, rip away.

They've been awfully quiet about Grabo the last few weeks.

Makes me sad though but looking into it myself I see Grabo is doing fairly okay in Washington and I'm glad for him, I know he'll finish he season strongly, he's a warrior.

edit:

Update on that blog post from Jeffler:

Damien Cox has not responded and instead blocked him.

Dave Feschuk acknowledged the blog on radio and decided to rip Kessel further

Steve Simmons responded to Jeffler on twitter and called it nonsense.

Whoever MacDonald is owned up and admits they are very happy with Kessel now.

Quick

Banned
Therrien refuses to play him on the PK or in the final minutes of a close game, and is constantly berating him and never giving him credit, while giving other shitty players tonnes of credit for doing nothing. He's had an agenda against him for years, going back to his broadcasting days.

It's cause he's black, right.

We have two main beat guys.

Dave Pollak is really close to the team and gets to write nice personal pieces because he has access to the players a lot. Because of this he doesn't really ask tough questions, doesn't want to sour anything he has going with the team.

Kevin Kurz is a pretty new guy(used to write about the Flyers in Philly apparently) and he's an idiot. Runs his mouth about players and has horrible opinions on the team(trade Demers for a 7th, buyout Marleau). Sometimes he does squeak a gem in there, he really got on the organization over what's been going on with Havlat. Mostly he's a stupid piece of garbage though.

I prefer the output that Pollak gives us.

All of ours are terrible. The only one with actual sources is Larry Brooks, and that guy is essentially a hack. The Devils guy Gulitti and Isles guy Staple are good, so of course we get stuck with a bunch of jerk off know nothings that constantly get things wrong.

Merguson

Banned

"Subban? You logged heavy minutes and had a solid game all-around. However, I noticed you were chirping too much and your jersey was sort of tucked in. Fix your attitude, please."

"Desharnais? You played 20 minutes and zero points? Hmm that's not good. I'll give you more ice-time so you can get on the board."

Top Bottom