• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2013 |OT| Racism, Pokémon, and the Pursuit of Saltiness

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I was just pontificating on how much I hate the Ranger's own beat writers - anybody else feel that way about their beat writers?

The Caps beat writers are awful. They rarely write good personal stories, they never ask tough questions etc and they never get good scoops. They basically just report on what the PR office tells them.

It's a joke when Kypreos (first to mention Dale Hunter as candidate for head coach) or other national guys actually mention rumors that come true. Our beat writers never do that.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
"Subban? You logged heavy minutes and had a solid game all-around. However, I noticed you were chirping too much and your jersey was sort of tucked in. Fix your attitude, please."

"Desharnais? You played 20 minutes and zero points? Hmm that's not good. I'll give you more ice-time so you can get on the board."
Desharnais has 22:39 PP TOI and 0 points. Still getting PP time. Unbelievable, the only reason I can come up with for them playing him so much still is the management trying to show him off for some dumbass to pick up.

This is what bugs Leafs fans. So many media members here write shit just to cause controversy and get reactions it seems. No sensible reporting, only reactionary ripping of the team after a few bad games. As late as this summer reporters were calling for Kessel to be traded and he's not worth building around, meanwhile he'll probably finish top 10 in scoring again this year. These are the same reporters who love to rip Leafs management if some player is traded away and succeeds somewhere else. They want it both ways, keep guys, trade guys, rip away.

So you're saying Toronto journalists and game journalists went to the same school of bullshit

yyzjohn

Banned
They've been awfully quiet about Grabo the last few weeks.

Makes me sad though but looking into it myself I see Grabo is doing fairly okay in Washington and I'm glad for him, I know he'll finish he season strongly, he's a warrior.

edit:

Update on that blog post from Jeffler:

Damien Cox has not responded and instead blocked him.

Dave Feschuk acknowledged the blog on radio and decided to rip Kessel further

Steve Simmons responded to Jeffler on twitter and called it nonsense.

Whoever MacDonald is owned up and admits they are very happy with Kessel now.

Hilarious. The one guy that nobody knows owns up and admits he was wrong. Everyone else, business as usual.

Feschuk seems to think that at some point, Crosby and Kessel were at the same skill/potential level, which pretty much renders his opinions as worthless.

yyzjohn

Banned
Feschuk seems to think that at some point, Crosby and Kessel were at the same skill/potential level, which pretty much renders his opinions as worthless.

Think he's referring to them coming up through junior. Kessel was one of the most hyped American prospects as a junior and was compared to Crosby before his draft year.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Leafs win a game and fans act like their "dynasty" has been wrongly covered by "unfair" media. Good grief.

It's such a joke when the Leafs come to town. Half the crowd are these transplants who came to Alberta for jobs because Ontario sucks. When Leafs win they act like we should be honored by their holy presence.

Leaf fans are a never ending source of hilarious entertainment.
Media has been terrible; just as terrible as the city of Edmonton and their hockey team.

Ontario does suck for jobs. I was thinking of moving back West to Calgary for a job, but sure a shit not Crapmonton. Also, not the Leafs' fault the Oilers make it so easy to beat them.

We're called a never ending source of hilarious entertainment? By an Oilers fan?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Media has been terrible; just as terrible as the city of Edmonton and their hockey team.

Ontario does suck for jobs. I was thinking of moving back West to Calgary for a job, but sure a shit not Crapmonton. Also, not the Leafs' fault the Oilers make it so easy to beat them.

We're called a never ending source of hilarious entertainment? By an Oilers fan?

I'm pretty sure at this point every Canadian team has their own entertaining storyline. Maybe except the Jets, they haven't done anything (yet) except piss of Quick

Smiley90

Still winning games.

We're gonna be filled with depth once everyone returns.

But... really... I don't want to give up Vatanen or Lindholm to Sbisa or Souray :( ... Different roles, I know! But still.

Sbisa being injured made me look up Josi, because I haven't heard anything about him this season.

Yep, also injured, only played 2 games. Apparently he's just getting back now.

yyzjohn

Banned

Settle down Kuro, we're not in the playoffs yet.

Quick

Banned
Therrien isn't a fan of all the rap music he plays in the locker room.

Not even joking, but I thought him "banning" the triple low-5 between him and Price was one of those things he probably thought was a "hood" or "thug" thing, on top of the whole team mentality thing he explained.

Pretty sure I heard that he "banned" them from doing it because it's not a team mentality thing to do. Could be wrong.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Not even joking, but I thought him "banning" the triple low-5 between him and Price was one of those things he probably thought was a "hood" or "thug" thing, on top of the whole team mentality thing he explained.

Pretty sure I heard that he "banned" them from doing it because it's not a team mentality thing to do. Could be wrong.
:lol he banned it because he thought it was being selfish and he has a stick up his ass. If they ever win the cup they better do it just to spite him.

Think he's referring to them coming up through junior. Kessel was one of the most hyped American prospects as a junior and was compared to Crosby before his draft year.

I think that does go to show what a strained comparison it is: By their respective draft years, Crosby was widely believed to be the best player to come up in several years, while Kessel was 'merely' expected to go in the top 10.

Razorskin

----- ------
gLl5u4p.png

Quick

Banned
TSN's going to do their Team Canada picks. :lol

Not quite as ridiculous as when Sportsnet did it months ago, since it's at least closer to the Olympics now, but the set-up looks way too serious for something purely speculative.

But honestly, looking at Team Canada, it's essentially hitting the Best Lines button on NHL 14 with a roster of every top Canadian player in the past few years.

Smiley90

Kessel/Kadri/JVR have more goals then the whole Flyer team I believe

Crosby, Kessel and Stamkos have at least as many points as the Rangers have goals.

Matt Moulson has more Powerplay-Goals (5, 1st in the league) than the Ducks, Panthers and Canucks (4, worst in the league)

Kessel, Steen, St. Louis and Kesler have 1 less Even-strength goal (7) than the NYR (8)

Steen is rocking a 1.1 G/G average atm (oO)

Toronto is leading the league in Hits atm, San Jose is last. Surprisingly (to me), STL is 29th oO

Toronto is last in the league in Giveaways, by quite a large margin. (they're also 2nd in takeaways though, so I guess that makes kinda up for it) STL leads by a large margin in givaways.

/stats are fun

But honestly, looking at Team Canada, it's essentially hitting the Best Lines button on NHL 14 with a roster of every top Canadian player in the past few years.

Yzerman will nonetheless manage to name every 'star' that's poorly suited to the big ice, and we'll lose in the Bronze medal game to Belarus (Grabo will score 6 goals).

Cat Party

We have two main beat guys.

Dave Pollak is really close to the team and gets to write nice personal pieces because he has access to the players a lot. Because of this he doesn't really ask tough questions, doesn't want to sour anything he has going with the team.

Kevin Kurz is a pretty new guy(used to write about the Flyers in Philly apparently) and he's an idiot. Runs his mouth about players and has horrible opinions on the team(trade Demers for a 7th, buyout Marleau). Sometimes he does squeak a gem in there, he really got on the organization over what's been going on with Havlat. Mostly he's a stupid piece of garbage though.

I prefer the output that Pollak gives us.
Pollak's great. I don't care for the beat guys who antagonize the team or certain players.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Toronto is last in the league in Giveaways, by quite a large margin. (they're also 2nd in takeaways though, so I guess that makes kinda up for it) STL leads by a large margin in givaways.

/stats are fun

I enjoy that stat. The media always brings it up but never makes reference to the takeaways.

Kessel/Kadri/JVR have more goals then the whole Flyer team I believe

Yeah but how's the TRUE 1C Tyler Durden Bozak doing?

He's probably the reason why our PP sucks right now. His blue line bombs helped sweep the Hawks last season :D

Damn right they did. And now I have "we got matched up with the Red Wings" lament. I'm so glad we never see them in the postseason ever again.

Or the old Nashville Predators with Suter and Tootoo.

Quick

Banned
I enjoy that stat. The media always brings it up but never makes reference to the takeaways.

Wow

Such stats

much advance

Diverting the conversation briefly, am I alone in thinking the Flames' Heritage Classic jersey is actually pretty cool? McDonald's aside, I think it's a solid-looking jersey. Should've been a third jersey.

And LOL McGrattan hulk smashing McLaren.

Top Bottom