• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2014 |OT| Leafs Suck, And Then You Die

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Reposting for sake of heeeeeeeeeeelp

Are there any Toronto/Montreal/Philly gaffers that might have a couch to crash for me for a day or 2 (or 5 days in the case of Philly.......) in December? I'll be visiting. I'll bring beer. I'd be eternally grateful.

Hunter S.

Preseason is such a joke for win/loses. If it had any correlation to the season Edmonton would have won multiple Stanley cups and not LA. Most teams have not even started working on critical areas such as PP and PK until now or have done real work on systems. Only one team in the league even has a 23 man roster now, Dallas.

I think the Avs, fancy stats regression is over blown. They are a team built on young stars who should only be getting better. Its for instance how people said that the first line for the leafs would regress heavily in on-ice shooting percentage for the past 3 years, except when you have players who are just above average shooters you are not going to regress to the mean. The Avs are obviously not a division winning team but they are not the bottom place finisher stats people want to predict them to be this season.

Stats are great, but too often they are not placed in the correct context, and with them being so new to hockey it happens too often right now.

Hockey stats are far from perfect predictors, thankfully. Nice post.

Reposting for sake of heeeeeeeeeeelp

Are there any Toronto/Montreal/Philly gaffers that might have a couch to crash for me for a day or 2 (or 5 days in the case of Philly.......) in December? I'll be visiting. I'll bring beer. I'd be eternally grateful.

I would just make a thread.

Acid08

Banned
Sharks continue to treat Joe Thornton like a leper.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: "@PollakOnSharks: Read into it what you will: #SJSharks here are Pavelski, couture and Vlasic." It's going to be a fascinating year in SJ.
Posted this on the last page but I think they're the three who will end up with letters.

TMac said today that Thornton is in the best shape he has been in since coming here.

Smiley90

I would just make a thread.

I figured I'd ask here first, since I trust most of you guys more than the rest of GAF. I don't wanna walk into some brony's apartment or sleep next to a waifu pillow. Sorry TUSR.

zroid

Banned
The Avs are obviously not a division winning team but they are not the bottom place finisher stats people want to predict them to be this season.

I don't think anyone is predicting they'll be last. Perds and Jets are still a lot worse, even if they regress (and they will, but to what extent we'll have to see).

The Avs and Stars look like very similar teams to me this year, I think they're going to be duking it out for the 3rd seed in Central. Well, the Wild will be in the mix too.

Smiley90

We will be fighting for a playoff spot for sure. Berra ain't an NHL goalie and our defense is even worse than last year

Why do you keep talking about Berra like he's your first goalie

You think Varlamov will get arrested halfway through the year or what?

Also wtf are the Blue Jackets doing, why is Johansen STILL not signed. Someone just offer sheet him already.

Pierre LeBrunVerified account
‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Inch by inch.... told Jackets improved offer to $3.25 M per year, Johansen camp countered with $4.5 M per year... still wide gap

Samyy

Also wtf are the Blue Jackets doing, why is Johansen STILL not signed. Someone just offer sheet him already.

Pierre LeBrunVerified account
‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Inch by inch.... told Jackets improved offer to $3.25 M per year, Johansen camp countered with $4.5 M per year... still wide gap

Probably because the dude was an AHL healthy scratch 18 months ago, do you blame CBJ for wanting to see more before they commit?

Smelly I know you're invested heavily in his success but he fucking sucks and he's our backup. And any win with him in net will be a goddamn miracle, Varlamov can't carry us forever.

Hunter S.

No one really expected the Avs to win the division last year. And I still think had they been healthy they would have beat the wild. Duchene made a huge difference in that final game he played. Not to mention Mr. clutch Tyson Barrie was brutally kneed by a scumbag Wild.

Truth. Will Varlamov be a .927 goalie again?
He is 27 and in his prime. It is possible.

They better get this damn thing done. My fantasy team might depend on it.

Chris R

So it looks like I'll be able to get down to Denver to watch some Avs games in person this year! The 4 game home stand in February looks to be my best bet price wise for hotels/flights/ect.

Acid08

Banned
Poor Joe Thornton. He's a good guy, who's played his ass off for the Sharks, yet he gets treated like shit.
Ha, this offseason is crazy. Now Thornton is this amazing player everyone defends. Before he was a choker and a loser to everyone outside of the SJ fanbase.

Fuck all y'all.

So it looks like I'll be able to get down to Denver to watch some Avs games in person this year! The 4 game home stand in February looks to be my best bet price wise for hotels/flights/ect.
Nice. You've been to the can before?
Ha, this offseason is crazy. Now Thornton is this amazing player everyone defends. Before he was a choker and a loser to everyone outside of the SJ fanbase.

Fuck all y'all.
Acid I still feel that way. I keeps it real.

Chris R

Lots of good food downtown.

I wish there was a cheaper place to stay downtown so I could just walk everywhere and be carless. Instead I've found a hotel near the I 70 & I 25 intersection that combined with a car still keeps me under $100 a day.

Avs-GAF you got to believe the offense will be better this year assuming no season ending injuries.
Depends completely on whether or not we have a real 3rd line. We look like shit without Mitchell and McGinn anchoring shit down.
I wish there was a cheaper place to stay downtown so I could just walk everywhere and be carless. Instead I've found a hotel near the I 70 & I 25 intersection that combined with a car still keeps me under $100 a day.
You don't need a car if you're just gonna be downtown. Otherwise yeah, I'd offer to help out but I'm 10 miles out of that area and just fucking busy for eternity it seems.

Hunter S.

Depends completely on whether or not we have a real 3rd line. We look like shit without Mitchell and McGinn anchoring shit down.
At least P.A. is gone he was not living up to the deal.

I thought the avs were trying to get bigger on the third and forth line?

'Leafs looking to platoon Orr and Kozun' Because if John Scott plays the Leafs need Orr dressed so he can not fight him.

Why not just dress the skill/speed guys and skate around the goons?

Wait, people think Babby got overpaid?

Do those same people realise that it's 2014? Good players get $7m. Not just your Crosbys and Ovechkins. Babby's not only a consistent 30G scorer and a community ambassador to whichever team he plays for. But a stalwart LE GENTLESIRE to everybody.

GOOD GUY BABBY

Great to see a beloved former Duck make that bank, and also allow for the first use of this gif:

I for one welcome the debut of this glorious GIF.

Chris R

You don't need a car if you're just gonna be downtown. Otherwise yeah, I'd offer to help out but I'm 10 miles out of that area and just fucking busy for eternity it seems.

Nothing booked just yet, so if I can find a hotel downtown for the price I'm looking for I'll grab it for sure. Walking around in winter doesn't bother me coming from a colder climate.

plus, you can drink more when you know you aren't driving back to a hotel room!

'Leafs looking to platoon Orr and Kozun' Because if John Scott plays the Leafs need Orr dressed so he can not fight him.

Why not just dress the skill/speed guys and skate around the goons?

I don't like wasting a roster spot with a goon, but at least Orr is better than Maclaren. Blech.

McGinn should actually be ready for opening night, who knows how long Mitchell is out, but I don't even like him on the 3rd unless there are other injuries. He needs to provide more offense than he does. Ideally, we want someone with size who is good defensively with some offensive output. Mitchell just skates around with the puck, he's too good for the 4th line, but not good enough for the 3rd. I wish Briere wasn't on the team, should have bought him out and brought in someone more suitable for the third line role. I still think PAP could have played on Duchene's wing. He had so many knee injuries last year and the year before that he was second in scoring on the team, gave up to early on him. Though that's 4 million for the next season. I would have preferred this forward lineup:

O'reilly-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Iginla
McGinn-Hishon-Tanguay
Talbot-Mitchell-Winchester

The likes of Bordeleau and McCleod could fuck off. On another note, disappointed to see Hishon demoted to minors, Roy said he needs to be defensive on the third line and hasn't learned a balance between offense and defense yet, though I think Beakley is probably the guy to fit that role.

867234147.gif

Canucks lines tonight vs. Edmonton:

Burrows - Bonino - Vey
Higgins - Matthias - Hansen
Shinkaruk - O'Reilly - Jensen
Sestito - Horvat - Dorsett

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Sbisa - Stanton

Lack

Vey slots in for the injured Kassian. Horvat gets an audition as a fourth-line centre. The 2nd line is the projected 3rd line and the 3rd line is probably Utica's top line.

Looks like the defence pairings are set for the regular season too, with Weber the 7th D.

Sorry folks, only doing it to spite Alucards insistence on posting wrestling GIFs in this thread by reminding him of the superior existence of an actual combat sport.

In a thread related to the best sport ever though, it's kind of overall redundant.

RC

Banned
I never liked MMA, but there was a point when I loved wrestling.

How I miss the attitude era.

Top Bottom