• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2014 |OT| Leafs Suck, And Then You Die

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Enough of the gifs of the shitty hits. How about some gifs of the good stuff.

Duclair_First_Goal.0.GIF

Zuccarello_Winner.0.GIF

Stasis

Last season the Canucks ended up on a 2x5min continuous penalty kill. It was surreal.

On another note, I've finalized my schedule for my December trip.

Philly - Dec 5-10
Montreal - Dec 10-14
Toronto - Dec14-17

Also buying tickets for the Montreal-Kings game on the 12th because when I'm already in Montreal I kind of have to go see a game, no?

Contemplating also buying tickets for the Leafs-Ducks game on the 16th but I'm not sure I can afford that lol.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, come hang out with me and show me the city dudes. And kat.

Does anyone else here even live in Montreal? Alucard? I don't remember...

I don't know what my schedule is gonna be like since we're moving into our new house soon etc. etc. but if I have any free time I'd be down for a mini MTL NHL gaf meetup for some boozin' or anything really. I think I have a final that Friday morning. Not yet sure if I'm working the weekend or not.

Anyway, lots of time to see. Your trip is gonna be pretty badass. What hotel you looking at for Montreal? I used to stay at the Sheraton a lot before I moved here, and that's pretty central (and basically directly across from The Bell) but can be pricey. I don't know what your budget is or if you're even doing hotel vs. hostel. A friend of mine who visited a few months back stayed at Zero 1 which was pretty cool for the price. Worth checking. Also conveniently about 2 blocks from an awesome bar my friend owns. =P

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Does anyone else here even live in Montreal? Alucard? I don't remember...

I don't know what my schedule is gonna be like since we're moving into our new house soon etc. etc. but if I have any free time I'd be down for a mini MTL NHL gaf meetup for some boozin' or anything really. I think I have a final that Friday morning. Not yet sure if I'm working the weekend or not.

Anyway, lots of time to see. Your trip is gonna be pretty badass. What hotel you looking at for Montreal? I used to stay at the Sheraton a lot before I moved here, and that's pretty central (and basically directly across from The Bell) but can be pricey. I don't know what your budget is or if you're even doing hotel vs. hostel. A friend of mine who visited a few months back stayed at Zero 1 which was pretty cool for the price. Worth checking. Also conveniently about 2 blocks from an awesome bar my friend owns. =P

I just booked at the HI Hostel in both Montreal&Toronto. Since I'm travelling by myself I figure it's easier to get hooked up with activities that way and it's a lot cheaper lol.

Let me know if you're available! thanks for responding ha

dem

Let's face it... The east is a joke..

Oilers are playoff team in the east. The west is a whole different beast.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I just booked at the HI Hostel in both Montreal&Toronto. Since I'm travelling by myself I figure it's easier to get hooked up with activities that way and it's a lot cheaper lol.

Hooked up with "activities" via the Hostel.

post-30824-Jack-Nicholson-Creepy-Nodding-SRXv.gif

Quick

Banned

I wouldn't mind meeting up if time permits.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

You're here in the middle of the week though. D: Except for the Sunday.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Smiley you sure you want to be there in December ? The weather is kind of cold... I know Ontario winter and it sucks since I'm used to BC winter. Montreal should be even colder, yeah ?

Smiley90

Smiley you sure you want to be there in December ? The weather is kind of cold... I know Ontario winter and it sucks since I'm used to BC winter. Montreal should be even colder, yeah ?

I'm a winter person and I'll be going to Switzerland afterwards anyway, so I'll have all my warm clothes packed. :p

KAT THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO SEE QUICK

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

We've had some milder winters in recent years but last year was pretty cold.

I'm a winter person and I'll be going to Switzerland afterwards anyway, so I'll have all my warm clothes packed. :p

KAT THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO SEE QUICK

LIES

I will probably disappoint everyone.

See?

Smiley90

I think Philly might be the coldest destination of the three... NY was kinda cold when I was there for New Year's a couple years ago. Anyway, I like the cold.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I think Philly might be the coldest destination of the three... NY was kinda cold when I was there for New Year's a couple years ago. Anyway, I like the cold.

lol why are you in BC then ? Move to east coast and chill out with Don Quick.

Smiley90

lol why are you in BC then ? Move to east coast and chill out with Don Quick.

I've asked myself that too... But I'm here and it's nice. lol.

Also

Fun fact:

The last time the Rangers came back from a 3-goal third period deficit was against the Minnesota North Stars.

Tabris

Man I'm so torn. It's hard to tell whether the Canucks will be a good or bad team this year.

I see good things, but then they get blown out by DAL and COL.

At the very least, the games are more fun to watch this year now that they are scoring again.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
AV when asked after the game tonight if the decision to keep or send down Duclair is becoming more difficult:

“Well, when he plays the way he did the last two games, it’s not hard. He played a real solid game in Montreal, and tonight the minutes that he played, he played well. Talent has no age. When you’re talented and you go on the ice and you perform, you play.”

Kid's not going anywhere.

Heretic

Stasis

I think Philly might be the ghettoest destination of the three... NY was kinda ghetto when I was there for New Year's a couple years ago. Anyway, I like the ghetto.

ftfy

No but srsly they'll all be cold. We're supposed to have an awful Winter in Quebec this year according to whoever determines that shit so far in advance. Farmers and their fucking almanac =/

Smiley90

ftfy

No but srsly they'll all be cold. We're supposed to have an awful Winter in Quebec this year according to whoever determines that shit so far in advance. Farmers and their fucking almanac =/

I'm not staying in a Hostel in Philly, I value my life too much for that. Staying at the Sheraton. Also I have to look presentable since I'm actually there for work so there's no way I'm not sleeping in a proper bed :lol

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Let's face it... The east is a joke..

Oilers are playoff team in the east. The west is a whole different beast.

drake-oh-no.gif

This can't be serious. *Looks at username* Riggghhhttt. The only reason Edmonton has won any of their past 4 games is because Scrivens is standing on his head.

Ugh, this game blows. I could have possibly went to the Flames game tomorrow, but if they are gonna play this it ain't worth $125
I would still go, Price is starting and I have a hard time seeing them coming out flat after being shut out by the Oilers of all teams.

The amazing thing is Kreider barely even puts any energy into that hit on Brodin. It's clearly a stupid and unnecessary boarding penalty since it's in the numbers and way too close to the boards, but that's basically Kreider going for a light hip check. He's just so freakishly fast and strong that Brodin goes down hard into the boards and was really lucky to apparently not be seriously injured.

This sort of thing, Kreider not knowing his own strength, has happened a few times now, and it's actually been a thing over the last several games that he has been talking to the referees both during and after games about how he's supposed to play physically, especially along the boards.

Hopefully he's learned yet another lesson tonight. He still needs to learn when to hold back with his size and strength.

Oh, fucking please. It was a dirty hit and he full extended his arms to knock him. He's not some goddamn hulkish freak who can't understand his strength and he tapped him and the dude went flying. He gave a solid hit and nearly injured someone again. Stop making excuses.

http://m.imgur.com/hRnM4YA?tags

Merguson

Banned
AV when asked after the game tonight if the decision to keep or send down Duclair is becoming more difficult:

“Well, when he plays the way he did the last two games, it’s not hard. He played a real solid game in Montreal, and tonight the minutes that he played, he played well. Talent has no age. When you’re talented and you go on the ice and you perform, you play.”

Kid's not going anywhere.

According to Bob McKenzie, the Rangers are burning a year on his contact no matter what they decide to do with him.

Must as well keep him. At the worst he gets to train with the NHL club.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Oh, fucking please. It was a dirty hit and he full extended his arms to knock him. He's not some goddamn hulkish freak who can't understand his strength and he tapped him and the dude went flying. He gave a solid hit and nearly injured someone again. Stop making excuses.

Yeah, I have to agree. Kreider is a professional athlete playing at the highest level who seems to always be injuring people... he knows his own strength. He's not Lennie from Of Mice and Men.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I know we're 7-2 and tied for best record in the NHL, but being shut out by the Oilers? Welcome to rock bottom.
I've been giving it to the Montreal coworkers today over that :)

BUT........
drake-oh-no.gif

This can't be serious. *Looks at username* Riggghhhttt. The only reason Edmonton has won any of their past 4 games is because Scrivens is standing on his head.

I would still go, Price is starting and I have a hard time seeing them coming out flat after being shut out by the Oilers of all teams.

Pretty much this. Scrivens can't keep up this play, and the Oil will regress sure enough back to the bottom 3-10 (NOBODY can be as bad as Buffalo and Carolina...).

Yeah, I have to agree. Kreider is a professional athlete playing at the highest level who seems to always be injuring people... he knows his own strength. He's not Lennie from Of Mice and Men.
Exactly, and unless he's never played hockey before, I'm pretty sure he knows or has seen this before. You can't blame shit like that on inexperience.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Eh, no real excuses. It was a bad play that he didn't need to make in a bad spot on the ice, and it was a deserved major. All I'm saying is that he didn't go full force or drive him into the boards. By the standards of what Kreider can do, that's a relatively light play, but it's from behind, in the numbers, at speed, and it was still too much strength. What I'm saying is that he has to understand just how much force he's really throwing around out there and how and when to use it better. That was not the time or place.

John Moore will having a hearing with the NHL (automatic due to match penalty). I'm guessing 4-5 games.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

I only remember him really injuring one player off the top of my head, and that was entirely Alexei Emelin's fault, so...

EDIT: Ok, strike that, make it two. I forgot about Craig Anderson.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I only remember him really injuring one player off the top of my head, and that was entirely Alexei Emelin's fault, so...

EDIT: Ok, strike that, make it two. I forgot about Craig Anderson.

I could very well be wrong, but as someone who doesn't really follow the Rangers it seems like I have heard his name a lot in conjunction with injuries and cheap shot type plays. Maybe I was wrong to specifically call out injury frequency. But my point is that this isn't a Paul Kariya or something involved in a fluke hit that sent someone flying head first into the boards.

Eh, no real excuses. It was a bad play that he didn't need to make in a bad spot on the ice, and it was a deserved major. All I'm saying is that he didn't go full force or drive him into the boards. By the standards of what Kreider can do, that's a relatively light play, but it's from behind, in the numbers, at speed, and it was still too much strength. What I'm saying is that he has to understand just how much force he's really throwing around out there and how and when to use it better. That was not the time or place.

John Moore will having a hearing with the NHL (automatic due to match penalty). I'm guessing 4-5 games.
Which is stupid and irrelevant to everything. Did anyone argue if Cooke could have clocked Savard harder in the head? It's a dirty fucking hit, it doesn't matter if he didn't use every ounce of strength into the hit, he hit him more than hard enough and it was a dirty hit. You're not agreeing if you have to keep adding a caveat that he doesn't know his own strength like it's OK or excuseable. If this is inexperience then how is he not a rookie and what the hell did he do when he played again weaker/younger players? He only doesn't know his strength now but not before in his career?

Dirty hits really piss me off and I don't understand how any actual hockey fan can try to rationalize or defend them. They hurt your teams and they hurt the sport. This shit is unnecessary and needs to be removed, these aren't accidents.

"doesn't know his own strength" is the new pronger physics.
:lol

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I could very well be wrong, but as someone who doesn't really follow the Rangers it seems like I have heard his name a lot in conjunction with injuries and cheap shot type plays. Maybe I was wrong to specifically call out injury frequency.

It's mostly just that the instances have been pretty high profile. He also plays a very aggressive game and is kind of like a bull in a china shop when he's at his best. He has speed that's second only to Carl Hagelin's, but the difference between him and Hagelin is that Hagelin usually peels off (and he doesn't have the same strength Kreider does). He doesn't usually take his speed in on net or into the dirty dangerous areas, so he doesn't lose control of his speed as often, and when he does he tends not to bowl into goalies/high traffic areas. Kreider on the other hand goes full tilt right into the boards, right into the paint. Which is really the best thing about his game. It's what you want him to be doing. But it also can get him into a lot of trouble, especially if he's tripped up or somehow taken out of his stride. When he loses control of that speed, it gets dangerous.

That's not what happened last night, though. He just made a dumb fucking decision.

Top Bottom