• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2014 |OT| Leafs Suck, And Then You Die

Razorskin

----- ------
Per Russo (Beat Writer)- Chuck Fletcher is "perplexed" Ilya Bryzgalov can't land job. "There’s just a giant chasm between the perception of Bryz and the reality."

Bryzgalov is making better than backup goalie salary until 2027, dude should just retire or go to the KHL.

calder

Glad to see Hockeycentral@Noon is back. Will add that podcast back to my daily listening when I can.

I know, me too. I've had shorter commutes lately, and my Downcast is almost overfull, I had 20 unplayed yesterday and had to delete a bunch. I see ESPN's Hockey Today is back too, haven't had a chance to give that one last try yet again (I find it alright but a bit dry).

I still can't explain how Hockeycentral, a show featuring only guys I can't stand (plus a few mostly silent fill-ins), is the only regular hockey podcast I can tolerate.

ShaneB

I know, me too. I've had shorter commutes lately, and my Downcast is almost overfull, I had 20 unplayed yesterday and had to delete a bunch. I see ESPN's Hockey Today is back too, haven't had a chance to give that one last try yet again (I find it alright but a bit dry).

I still can't explain how Hockeycentral, a show featuring only guys I can't stand (plus a few mostly silent fill-ins), is the only regular hockey podcast I can tolerate.

Haha, I actually like the guys as I've said before. I'll be squeezing Hockeycentral in between the regular football stuff I listen to.

JSR_Cube

I agree. Kypreos and MacLean are awful but I still listen/watch. I don't know how I'm going to handle more Kipper with Rogers having the coverage this year. Kipper has a gift of a Stanley Cup ring. But, the way he talks, you'd think that he played like Rocket Richard in his career.

play like 120 games and that should do it

there are specific faster ways though

Clearing Classic Mode a certain number of times seems to unlock most of them. Some you have to play at 7.0 or higher. A couple characters need you to play a certain number of matches.

Thanks. Should just let my brother do it (he's way better than me).

And by "certain matches" does it mean regular Smash or online? What if I just do 1 stock Battlefield no items against easy AI?

zroid

Banned
I feel similarly about Jeff O'Neill. He's a terrible analyst but I still enjoy listening to him run his mouth on Leafs Lunch. It is entertaining, somehow. It's especially entertaining when Ray Ferraro yells at him.

And by "certain matches" does it mean regular Smash or online? What if I just do 1 stock Battlefield no items against easy AI?

yeah iirc you can just SD out of a 1 stock match repeatedly until you unlock everyone. 120 is actually a lot faster than it used to be in the old games.

I feel similarly about Jeff O'Neill. He's a terrible analyst but I still enjoy listening to him run his mouth on Leafs Lunch. It is entertaining, somehow. It's especially entertaining when Ray Ferraro yells at him.

Kypreos, O'Neill, McLennan and McLean are all excellent radio.

On TV they're terrible.

Yawnier

Banned
I think I am mostly content with the leafs news and cuts today. The goons and Holzer being cut, Nylander going back to Sweden for at least another year.... None of that really surprises me and I think I'm okay with it.

What's with the Canucks and Leafs fans wanting to burn a year of ELCs for awesome rookies on subpar seasons?

Flames did the same thing last year. Now their awesome rookies are down one year on their ELC and all they had to show for it was nothing. Let them learn the system in the AHL or compete against supreme European talent in the SEL.

Winning is about having prime talent on ELCs.

If you wanted Nylander and Shinkaruk to have the first 9 games first, then excuse me.

Bryzgalov is making better than backup goalie salary until 2027, dude should just retire or go to the KHL.

He likes living in America and his wife/kids do not want to go to Russia, from what I have seen.

Wild offered him a two way and an AHL deal and he went home to his family to talk about it. Apparently Fletcher will talk to him in the next few weeks about it again.

I think I am mostly content with the leafs news and cuts today. The goons and Holzer being cut, Nylander going back to Sweden for at least another year.... None of that really surprises me and I think I'm okay with it.

I'm quite content. Nylander gets to develop out of the lime light, and Percy is a pretty interesting option.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I was just watching a media scrum of Bryan Murray about the final roster, he's gotten way skinnier even compared to 6 months ago. I really hope that he's gonna be ok :(

What's with the Canucks and Leafs fans wanting to burn a year of ELCs for awesome rookies on subpar seasons?

Flames did the same thing last year. Now their awesome rookies are down one year on their ELC and all they had to show for it was nothing. Let them learn the system in the AHL or compete against supreme European talent in the SEL.

Winning is about having prime talent on ELCs.

If you wanted Nylander and Shinkaruk to have the first 9 games first, then excuse me.

I don't follow the Flames but I think their rookies learned a lot by playing lots of minutes against NHL competition. Granted it's only been one year but they looked better than the Oilers and their perpetual rebuilds.

Horvat will get 9 games, but I don't see any other prospects making an impact this season.

I don't follow the Flames but I think their rookies learned a lot by playing lots of minutes against NHL competition. Granted it's only been one year but they looked better than the Oilers and their perpetual rebuilds.

Horvat will get 9 games, but I don't see any other prospects making an impact this season.

Here you're posting two contradictory examples of why developing in the NHL works and doesn't.

I'm going to assume the Flames rookies would've developed either way, whether against AHL talent or otherwise. There are so many variables at play though that it's hard to decipher what it is exactly that makes a prospect develop better in the NHL than some.

Since the Oilers prospects are all awesome but suck at the NHL, I'm going to place the blame directly on their player development team.

But for playoff bubble teams like the Leafs and Canucks, you'd want your talent to develop to a certain level before you start burning ELC years. THAT is what pushes you forward (if cap is an issue). The Ducks are awesome on cap/paper and on the ice simply because of this.

fallout

Yeah Phoenix seems to make their goalies better than they are though I still think he could be better than Pavelec. I read Pavelec was better in the pre season, so maybe he can turn it around?
Maybe. I'm just hoping that Hutch can compete and give Pavelec a reason to play for the job.

Question regarding hockeystreams, I'm probably going to renew my subscription either tomorrow or Wednesday before the game, but has anyone been able to stream it through PS4?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
bzte2qiigaawqjkagky1.jpg

I can check for you later.

gotcha. I'll see if it works when im home later.

Ty both.

Funny enough, I wasn't a fan of O'Neill when he came on Leafs Lunch. Then I realized that he, Hayes and McLennan have such good chemistry on the show and he provides that comic aspect as well.

RC

Banned
I'm liking my new co-worker he's a hockey guy and a geek. Of course if he likes anime I'm putting in my two weeks notice.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm liking my new co-worker he's a hockey guy and a geek. Of course if he likes anime I'm putting in my two weeks notice.

p17Zs.gif

Also, there's a "discrimination against men" thread in OT. only good things can come of that.

Spl1nter

Funny enough, I wasn't a fan of O'Neill when he came on Leafs Lunch. Then I realized that he, Hayes and McLennan have such good chemistry on the show and he provides that comic aspect as well.

Ya they all have really good chemistry and Hayes and O'Neill are at least self-aware of their homerness. Ferraro chirps on O'Neill are amazing.

Ya they all have really good chemistry and Hayes and O'Neill are at least self-aware of their homerness. Ferraro chirps on O'Neill are amazing.

Nothing yells homer than O'Neill's fist pumps in the press box lol. Also Ferraro usually chirps O on his eating habits which makes the chirps even better haha.

Side note, regrettably I did not buy the Leafs winter classic toque last year and now that I want it, they're selling for ridiculous prices.

I thought I was tired of the oversaturation of zombies in media.

But lately I've been watching The Walking Dead (I dropped out at S02E03 a while ago because it was boring but now I've gotten back into it and marathoned up to S03E10) and it's pretty fucking cool.

As well as playing TLOU while I'm in a house with no internet. And it's got me by the bollocks. Such a masterpiece of a game. I'm so disappointed I didn't get to play it earlier, but glad my first playthrough is of the remaster. I just got past the bit where
Henry shoots Sam and then himself, and it broke my goddamn heart

Samyy

But lately I've been watching The Walking Dead (I dropped out at S02E03 a while ago because it was boring but now I've gotten back into it and marathoned up to S03E10) and it's pretty fucking cool.

As well as playing TLOU while I'm in a house with no internet. And it's got me by the bollocks. Such a masterpiece of a game. I'm so disappointed I didn't get to play it earlier, but glad my first playthrough is of the remaster. I just got past the bit where

You actually just passed what is considered by many to be the weakest season in the game, which speaks to the quality of the rest of the game, so enjoy :)

I gave up on the Walking Dead later than you did, but I don't think I'll ever go back. The characters are dumb without redemption and the story has no direction, to me the only good season was the first.

You actually just passed what is considered by many to be the weakest season in the game, which speaks to the quality of the rest of the game, so enjoy :)

I have a dire hatred for
Sewer levels, and yet I still had fun that season

Fall is pretty good so far.

I gave up on the Walking Dead later than you did, but I don't think I'll ever go back. The characters are dumb without redemption and the story has no direction, to me the only good season was the first.

I can see it getting dumber and dumber. I'm already starting to care less about characters that aren't already well established since S02. My expectations are heading towards exactly where I've been hearing it's like in S04.

Good god Ubisoft Montreal should have never locked PS4 down just for the sake of parity. That being said, why say anything? What they said will cause a bigger shit storm than the one they contrived as a reason.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Good god Ubisoft Montreal should have never locked PS4 down just for the sake of parity. That being said, why say anything? What they said will cause a bigger shit storm than the one they contrived as a reason.

Streisand Effect. "Hey guys, one version of the game would perform worse than the other if we didn't downgrade the other version to the same specs, so we're making them the same so you don't notice that thing that we told you about that we don't want you to notice."

Top Bottom