• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2014 |OT| Leafs Suck, And Then You Die

What happened???

Shoulder injury in pre-season I think.

Edit: Looks like he fucked it up a while ago

Bennett said his shoulder “was really sore … and it’s looking like something that’s a little more serious. I had problems with this shoulder last year, but I didn’t think anything of it, and I played through it all year. It just started to act up a little in camp this year.

“I want to be playing, that was my goal this year. Ultimately, I think this is going to be the best for my career. After I get this all healed up, I’ll be that much more confident and that much stronger when I do get a chance to play.”

Razorskin

----- ------
What the fuck

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...debut-mascot-with-disturbing-firefighter-skit

i92QNBb.jpg

People love seeing firefighters getting hurt by fire, right? And look at Scorch. He (or she) is pretty happy about what he (or she) did.

I'm not exactly sure what they were trying to go for here, but the family-friendly mascot injuring a first-responder as part of his (or her) origin story isn't exactly going to be the most endearing tale to tell.

I doubt there was any ill intent here as the team probably just wanted a creative way to unveil their mascot, but this misses the mark in a pretty big way.

UPDATE: The Adirondack Flames have issued a statement of apology from team president Brian Petrovek about Scorch's introductory skit:

“Earlier today we unveiled our new mascot Scorch. In an attempt to provide background material for the character who will be the face of our team, particularly with young fans, we crafted a story that Scorch was the remaining ember from the tragic fire that destroyed much of Glens Falls in 1864.

We also crafted a skit that helped to launch the new mascot – with the help of the Glens Falls Fire Department. While it seemed in good taste when it was on the drawing board, it is evident now that it was in poor taste.

On behalf of our entire organization we want to apologize for our thoughtlessness today. We have obviously turned something good, the launch of a mascot which we will use to entertain and encourage young fans, into something that is in poor taste. That was not our intention and again we apologize.

We would like to emphasize that we as an organization take seriously the dangers associated with fire, understand its potentially devastating effects and acknowledge that those in our nation who are called upon to face and fight fires on a daily basis are truly heroes.

We apologize.”

My first thought was "thats weird to have a dead firefighter on the ground" but whatever. I didn't see the video (and I didn't click your link yet), but has the "skit" even been released or is it just from that still? I can't really judge until I see the actual thing with context (also I don't really care that much). It seems like everyone has a big ass apology written up ready for moments like this when people get offended by stuff

Razorskin

----- ------
I'm just gonna assume that's because of the Burrows hit, he was groggy afterwards

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2014/10/09/flames-scratch-veterans-wideman-mcgrattan/

Bob Hartley, this morning at the team hotel, announced that Dennis Wideman, the team’s highest-paid player, would not be in the lineup tonight.

Wideman, who pulls down a salary of $5.25 million, will sit against the Edmonton Oilers. Raphael Diaz draws in.

The Flames coach was asked about sitting someone like Wideman, a veteran commanding millions in pay.

“I’m not a banker, I’m a coach,” replied Hartley.

Minutes later he confirmed: “It’s not a matter of injuries.”

I expect our play to be very sloppy, given that it's the beginning of the season and everyone is still adjusting the new systems and new linemates. Really interested to see how our bottom six plays considering it's completely new (only two returning players from last year).

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Propose to her right now.

It was an entertaining game. I don't have legitimate beef, just with how flukey it got in the end.
I considered it. Leafs top line was MIA last night, Kessel didn't really look like himself either.

Ugh, Moen is playing tonight, Weise is out.
Weird. Wonder if they're just showcasing him to move him or Weise is hurt.

ShaneB

It's baffling to me how Pronger qualified in any fashion for player safety. Beyond stupid decision. Not to mention his still being paid by the Flyers. I imagine his injury history itself was the factor, but he's the last name I'd ever think to have any capacity of player safety.

Game time. Go Caps!

Alucard

Banned
I expect our play to be very sloppy, given that it's the beginning of the season and everyone is still adjusting the new systems and new linemates. Really interested to see how our bottom six plays considering it's completely new (only two returning players from last year).

Pretty much. I'm excited either way, but I'm not expecting much outside of .500 hockey for the first few months.

Foggy

Damn it feels good to watch hockey again

Lines:

Foligno-Johansen-Atkinson
Hartnell-Anisimov-Dano
Calvert-Letestu-Wennberg
Chaput-Skille-Boll

Good to see that Wennberg and Dano are going to get some good minutes.

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
Stars start their season tonight. This going to be...

*Versus the Blackhawks*

*sees Dallas defense*

Fuck, this is going to be rough.

WOOHOO DUCKS HOCKEY IS BACK

WhN55r7.gif

Oh god we're gonna get creamed by the Pens...

Tokarski starts tonight.

Also, Pleky is funny:

tumblr_inline_mgbps4R7C11qdw2ue.gif

4FmTwg8.gif

mafpads.png

...or for another MAF trainwreck.

Wager tonight. If the Ducks win you NEVER GET TO POST ANOTHER WRESTLING GIF IN THIS THREAD EVER AGAIN.

If Pens win, I will never reply to your wrestling GIFs with a UFC GIF EVER AGAIN.

Result for failing either is a ban.

Lemme do some work on this, hold up brah. I already made the "raining coins" one but there is too much good stuff to stick with just that.

Yeah, like you said the coin one is great for FA signings.

So it SUCKS that Rogers took over NHL Gamecenter in Canada. My NHL account doesn't work in PS4 anymore because it now requires 'My Rogers' account.

So lame. Rogers is charging twice of what they're asking for at NHL Gamecenter.

Any way to make NHL Gamecenter work on PS4 Canadian PSN account without dealing with Rogers?

I've already paid for NHL Gamecenter. :/

Edit: Should try creating US Account. Ugh, hate multiple accounts use.

Top Bottom