• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2017 [OT]- Kneelin' and dealin'

yyzjohn

Banned
What are the options for Vegas's roster right now? They have to get to 23 men by 5pm and they have like 11 d and 3 goalies.

Solo

Pacioretty – Drouin – Gallagher
Hudon – Plekanec – Lehkonen
Galchenyuk – Danault – Shaw
Byron – De La Rose – Hemsky
Mitchell

Mete – Weber
Alzner – Petry
Streit – Benn
Morrow – Davidson

Price - Montoya

Well, that is a 23 man roster. My thoughts are thus:
- actually semi decent 4 lines, BUT, it's more like a 2nd line and 3 3rd lines, so we are once again going to need to seriously score by committee or we are fucked. Basically need to count on each of Lehkonen/Gallagher/Hudon/Byron to score at least 15 goals.
- goaltending as always is no concern.
- that D. Oh man, that D. Worst defense core in Montreal in ages. Pure puke. We are going to lose a lot of games with that D.
- other shit: when Schlemko returns, one of those D is headed back to the AHL. And for some reason, both Froese and Martinsen are still listed on the Habs' official site roster.

Syrinx

Who you thinking?

I think Skinner deserves it.
I guessed at the beginning that it would be Faulk. Would like to see either him or Skinner get it, but wouldn't be surprised if it was Staal. Maybe Williams but I'm not sure they'll give it to a guy who just joined the team.

Well, that is a 23 man roster. My thoughts are thus:
- actually semi decent 4 lines, BUT, it's more like a 2nd line and 3 3rd lines, so we are once again going to need to seriously score by committee or we are fucked. Basically need to count on each of Lehkonen/Gallagher/Hudon/Byron to score at least 15 goals.
- goaltending as always is no concern.
- that D. Oh man, that D. Worst defense core in Montreal in ages. Pure puke. We are going to lose a lot of games with that D.
- other shit: when Schlemko returns, one of those D is headed back to the AHL. And for some reason, both Froese and Martinsen are still listed on the Habs' official site roster.

I think I like this forward Group more than last year, it’s a younger forward group. As for the Defenceman going to be sent down it’s probably going to be Streit or Davidson.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I guessed at the beginning that it would be Faulk. Would like to see either him or Skinner get it, but wouldn't be surprised if it was Staal. Maybe Williams but I'm not sure they'll give it to a guy who just joined the team.

Some say Williams getting it because of his experience - and he IS a returning Hurricane.

That being said, Williams doesn't seem like the Captain type to me like Skinner or Faulk does.

Ouch @ Pouliot. Dude just never developed. I remember the hype about him coming out of the draft. What a let down.

Faulk baby lesh go

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Smelly, give me the low down on Andrey Pedan.

He's big and snarly, but prone to mistakes. Good depth for the AHL, but probably tops out as a 7/8th defensemen for a team who needs size.

I heard him described on the radio this morning as a "watered-down Erik Gudbranson." Pretty accurate.

Solo

I think I like this forward Group more than last year, it’s a younger forward group. As for the Defenceman going to be sent down it’s probably going to be Streit or Davidson.

Certainly arguable that its a more balanced offense this year.

Just imagine that D if we had Subban and Markov on it alongside Mete............

aidan

Who is Derrick Pouliott?

Edit: Seriously someone help me. Is he good? Why is he on opening night roster?

Former 8th overall draft pick. Drafted as a high-end offensive/puckmoving/PPQB defenseman, but has had trouble cracking the Pens (relatively weak blueline). Coached by Travis Green while he played for the Portland Winterhawks.

Ondor

Banned
Former 8th overall draft pick. Drafted as a high-end offensive/puckmoving/PPQB defenseman, but has had trouble cracking the Pens (relatively weak blueline). Coached by Travis Green while he played for the Portland Winterhawks.
Thank you! So a buy-low move that could potentially result in a boost to the blue-line that hinges on whether or not Travis Green can develop him back into that 8th overall pick.

Okay, not mad.

Edit: Or a bad draft pick😕

aidan

Never got to show skill bc he'd be sent to the press box after one mistake. Guy never got to play so he could learn from his mistakes. They handled him poorly.

I can guarantee he'll look like a legit NHLer once he's paired with Tanev. The question is whether that continues with other partners.

Never got to show skill bc he'd be sent to the press box after one mistake. Guy never got to play so he could learn from his mistakes. They handled him poorly.

I guess but he fell behind a 27 year old AHLer on the depth table last playoffs when injuries hit.

I hope he can get better in Van, I watched him play in juniors so :(
I really hope he can redeem himself

That looks like a good trade for the Canucks. Pouliot is already 23 but could still be a decent puck-moving D. Pedan is a big body and we have enough of those already.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I can guarantee he'll look like a legit NHLer once he's paired with Tanev. The question is whether that continues with other partners.

Tanev can make everyone else look like a legit NHLer though because he covers defensively, that's not really a valid argument lol

Socreges

Banned
So in all likelihood we just threw away a 4th for the low probability that Pouliot will defy the odds and develop into the player people hoped he would be. I'd almost rather take a chance on the 4th rounder.

Hopefully Green sees something others don't.

Someone is passing around a Pens' championship ring at work today. I didn't get a chance to handle it myself today but it is tentatively supposed to be back tomorrow. Seen pictures, though. Hot damn those diamonds. The "5" for the penguin's eye is a nice touch.

Pic from the web (ones from the office don't do it justice):

cut.jpeg

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I think Pouliot isn't a real catastrophe like Pedan

just like Puerto Rico is having a good time and not a real catastrophe like Katrina

-shoots self in head-

Someone is passing around a Pens' championship ring at work today. I didn't get a chance to handle it myself today but it is tentatively supposed to be back tomorrow. Seen pictures, though. Hot damn those diamonds. The "5" for the penguin's eye is a nice touch.

cut.jpeg

You work at Jostens? Used to work there for a bit myself, back in highschool. In shipping/handling/warehouse.

someone was passing one around at my work too, snapped a pic as well. Damn nice ring. Love the touch of the 5 in the eye. Would love to hold a player one just to see the sides.

You work at Jostens? Used to work there for a bit myself, back in highschool. In shipping/handling/warehouse.

Nah, the son of one of the founders of the company I work for is an exec for the Pens and he's brought one in for the past 3 Cups. Cool of him to do.

Funny story: when I started working here in 2009 on my first day they were passing around the '09 ring and one of my colleagues dropped it on his desk. He was like one or two people after me and I started walking away and heard a loud CLANK as it hit his desk. There was panic for a second but no harm done besides a new gash in his desk. He wasn't around long after that. The official story is he was let for for other reasons, but we all like to think it was because he dropped the ring.

Quick

Banned
Quoting this from the off-season thread in case anyone missed it:

Meant to post a list of stuff to give away, so here goes. I guess it's implied that the jerseys and apparel are all washed, but I figured I'd mention it in case you guys think I'm a slob or something.

McFarlane figures:

• Phil Kessel - Leafs (white jersey)
  • Dion Phaneuf - Leafs (blue jerey)
  • Darcy Tucker - Leafs (white jersey)
  • Alex Ovechkin - Caps (red jersey)

None of these figures are in their packaging, but I'll try to package them as best as I can when sending them out.

Jerseys:

• Washingto Capitals Winter Classic 2011 Jersey - Size L, blank jersey, worn maybe once or twice, but only to try on.
  • Dion Phaneuf Toronto Maple Leafs Home Jersey (2010-2016) - Size XL, worn a few times, but still in great condition.
  • Patrick Kane Chicago Blackhawks Alternate Jersey2009-2011 - Size 50. It's a fake jersey, but a pretty good one. Worn for pickup hockey games, but still in good condition.

Apparel:

• Montreal Canadiens Halak T-Shirt Jersey - Size XL, never worn.
  • Toronto Maple Leafs Majestic Therma Base jacket - Size XL, worn a couple of times. Has the previous Leafs logo.
  • Toronto Maple Leafs Scotiabank scarf - Also uses the previous Leafs logo, I got it from the home opener back in 2012. Worn a couple of times.

Meant to post a list of stuff to give away, so here goes. I guess it's implied that the jerseys and apparel are all washed, but I figured I'd mention it in case you guys think I'm a slob or something.

McFarlane figures:

• Phil Kessel - Leafs (white jersey)
  • Dion Phaneuf - Leafs (blue jerey)
  • Darcy Tucker - Leafs (white jersey)
  • Alex Ovechkin - Caps (red jersey)

None of these figures are in their packaging, but I'll try to package them as best as I can when sending them out.

Jerseys:

• Washingto Capitals Winter Classic 2011 Jersey - Size L, blank jersey, worn maybe once or twice, but only to try on.
  • Dion Phaneuf Toronto Maple Leafs Home Jersey (2010-2016) - Size XL, worn a few times, but still in great condition.
  • Patrick Kane Chicago Blackhawks Alternate Jersey2009-2011 - Size 50. It's a fake jersey, but a pretty good one. Worn for pickup hockey games, but still in good condition.

Apparel:

• Montreal Canadiens Halak T-Shirt Jersey - Size XL, never worn.
  • Toronto Maple Leafs Majestic Therma Base jacket - Size XL, worn a couple of times. Has the previous Leafs logo.
  • Toronto Maple Leafs Scotiabank scarf - Also uses the previous Leafs logo, I got it from the home opener back in 2012. Worn a couple of times.

Are the McFarlane Toys like the Import Dragon NHL Figures?

Solo

Pacioretty – Drouin – Gallagher
Hudon – Plekanec – Lehkonen
Galchenyuk – Danault – Shaw
Byron – De La Rose – Hemsky
Mitchell

Mete – Weber
Alzner – Petry
Streit – Benn
Morrow – Davidson

Price - Montoya

Both were just sent to Laval. So the Habs have a 23 man roster now + injured Schlemko. One of Mete, Morrow, Davidson or Streit goes to junior or AHL when Schlemko returns.

Top Bottom