• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ronald_mcd said:
Thought 4 - 1 was the end of that game, glad I kept it on. I want so bad to hate on Jason spezza with all his turn overs, but damn.

Dont know how you can hate Spezza. He's 2nd or 3rd (maybe even 1st now) in points since last season's all star break. Poor puck handling game thats it.

Anyway, Karlsson (and Spezza) is the best player on this team right now plain and simple. This guy is fucking boss and complete sex

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I think it's fair to say that Vancouver is just slumping a little but they'll be fine, what is up with Boston though? They seem tired and frustrated but I may be reading them wrong.

Manics

Banned
FortunateSon said:
3 goals allowed.

HOLY SHIT.

Jonas Gustavsson:

.886% / 3.86 gaa. FUCKING LOL. This shit will get us to the promise land BOYS. Guess what? Reimer ain't too hot as well. Please give me Thomas or something.
3 goals allowed on 37 shots is actually very good especially considersing a lot of the shots were tough. You DO realize one of those 3 goals was on 2 man advantage for the Pens right? (probably not since I'm sure you don't watch the game but instead just look at the score later)

Yeah Gustavsson's overall record right now looks bad cause of the bad start against Boston, but in his defense he hadnt played a game in WEEKS before that start.

The last 2 games where we've needed him and he's starting to get in a groove his save % is .925. Funny you never mention that, but then again you are a fucking idiot so I expect no less.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm starting to think the Wings' problem is more X's and O's than player-related.

After watching several other teams (Pittsburgh, Toronto, Washington, Edmonton, etc) I see a huge difference in what the Wings run in the offensive zone compared to what everyone else does. When watching those other teams I see a lot of guys moving around and an almost constant desire to get the puck in close. I see a lot of other teams getting a LOT of open shots.

Detroit, on the other hand, is content to keep feeding the puck back to the defenseman and let him shoot from as far back as possible, trying to get the puck through 5 bodies. It's ridiculous.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Oh damn, they are playing tonight.

FortunateSon you gotta keep things into perspective.

- We're about 10 games into the season and there are 71 left to go. Obviously, these players are not in mid-season form yet.
- Gust hasn't played many games. He's been the back up for many and got called in cold when Reims was injured.
- His GAA could be 9.5 and if our record was 8 - 0 - 2, I'd still be happy. You mention 'if the the Leafs' offense stops', well, in this case, it wouldn't matter if his GAA was 0.5 if we could score. We're finding ways to win NOW, and ironing out the kinks.

on an unrelated note

Steckel is 2nd in the league in face-offs won...who's the first? SPEZZA?!?!?!?!?!?? D:

SpectreFire said:
I think at this rate, Higgins might turn out into one of the league's best bargains. He's definitely gotten back his scoring touch and unless something goes horribly south, he'll easily notch another 20 goals season, hell, he's on pace for 40 and could potentially see 25-30.

This smacks of Tambellinism. Higgins is a decent player when he's in form, no doubt, but it's been a long while since he played on a competent team. As you say, he'll probably peak somewhere between 20-25 if everything goes really well - nothing about his career suggests otherwise. Of course, I think we all agree that Gillis did a decent job drafting him and Lapierre. Great squad players. However Canucks are still below .500 for the month. It's still going to come down to how well the team compensates for losing Ehrhoff, rather than if Chris Higgins scores above his skill level.

Now having done my debbiedowner bit: It was truly great to see Luongo start to finally get his game together in the 3rd.

Silexx said:
Alfredsson is out for tonight's game against Toronto. Filatov is being recalled.

Wolski better get suspended, what an embarrassment to Poland.

Lehner is starting tonight, will be interesting to see at what level is play is at.

Silexx

KernelPanic said:
Wolski better get suspended, what an embarrassment to Poland.

Lehner is starting tonight, will be interesting to see at what level is play is at.

Still don"t get how that was not more than a 2 min minor.

And it turns out that Filatov won't be playing tonight. Bobby Butler is taking Alfie's slot.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Epic Tales of Penis said:
What face-off percentages do Steckel and Spezza have? Who has taken more draws?
Spezza has taken 254
Steckel has taken 207

Steckel though is the best in the league FOW% wise at 61.8

He really has added some confidence in the draw for us.

MacAttack

Spire said:
I think it's fair to say that Vancouver is just slumping a little but they'll be fine, what is up with Boston though? They seem tired and frustrated but I may be reading them wrong.

In the seven losses they have lost four games by 1 goal, Montreal and San Jose scored empty netters to make them two goal games and the only game they were really out of was Carolina where half the team got ejected before Carolina pulled away in the third.

I dont think any of Boston's opponents could say they had an easy game against Boston. Its a combination of good goaltending from opponents and not getting any breaks. The Bruins were streaky last season. At one point they won 6 games in a row during a west coast road trip (including a game against Vancouver in which Lucic scored the game winner.) and then proceeded to drop 6 of the next 7.

They still have a good team, they just need to get a little momentum. Hopefully they can turn things around with 5 winnable games in the next 8 games vs : NYI twice, Sens, Devils and Blue Jackets.

If they can win 6 of the next 8 during the upcoming homestand they will be right back at .500 and ready to redeem themselves Monday the 21st at Montreal.

Silexx said:
Still don"t get how that was not more than a 2 min minor.
And it turns out that Filatov won't be playing tonight. Bobby Butler is taking Alfie's slot.

Looks like no hearing for Wolski so no suspension pending. Fucking NHL, I actually had some hope at the start of the season.

I expected Butler to play since he's RW like Alfie, Filatov is LW and he looks like crap in the few games they had him on the right. Dunno why they called Filatov up just to sit in the pressbox.

Wow. Pretty impressive on Spezza's part too.

He's been money on faceoffs for about 2 years now. That little fact rarely gets mentioned in the media outside of Ottawa. We put him on just for key defensive zone draws, especially if Konopka is out.

KernelPanic said:
He's been money on faceoffs for about 2 years now. That little fact rarely gets mentioned in the media outside of Ottawa. We put him on just for key defensive zone draws, especially if Konopka is out.
I've known about his face-off skills for awhile now but he's really up there right this season. He was smoking the Caps earlier this season in the game I was watching then.

Kuro Madoushi said:
He really has added some confidence in the draw for us.

He has been by far the most pleasant surprise this year. It's amazing what just having somebody who can reliably take a defensive zone faceoff will do.

Slurmer

Banned
I am pretty surprised with Toronto's start this year. I know lots of people are shrugging it off as just another hot start like last year, and they will inevitably fall, but I've seen a few games now and think they're a pretty good team (as long as their goaltending is there.)

Slurmer said:
I am pretty surprised with Toronto's start this year. I know lots of people are shrugging it off as just another hot start like last year, and they will inevitably fall, but I've seen a few games now and think they're a pretty good team (as long as their goaltending is there.)
No one is shrugging them off. Most of us are just surprised at how opposite the start is to last season standing. I would love to see Leafs in playoffs, btw.

Silexx

KernelPanic said:
I expected Butler to play since he's RW like Alfie, Filatov is LW and he looks like crap in the few games they had him on the right. Dunno why they called Filatov up just to sit in the pressbox.

It appears they called him up because they were still unsure if Kanopka was going to be suspended or not and decided to play it safe.

Tabris

shagg_187 said:
No one is shrugging them off. Most of us are just surprised at how opposite the start is to last season standing. I would love to see Leafs in playoffs, btw.

I am shrugging them off. It's October. In October, Vancouver, Boston, Detroit and Anaheim are out of a playoff spot. These teams will be leading their divisions (well San Jose and Chicago may have a thing to say but they'll be battling for that top spot) by November/December.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Plinko said:
I'm starting to think the Wings' problem is more X's and O's than player-related.

After watching several other teams (Pittsburgh, Toronto, Washington, Edmonton, etc) I see a huge difference in what the Wings run in the offensive zone compared to what everyone else does. When watching those other teams I see a lot of guys moving around and an almost constant desire to get the puck in close. I see a lot of other teams getting a LOT of open shots.

Detroit, on the other hand, is content to keep feeding the puck back to the defenseman and let him shoot from as far back as possible, trying to get the puck through 5 bodies. It's ridiculous.
That's what I've been saying for 3 years now. Teams have easily caught on to this and just clog up the middle of the ice, totally negating all good scoring chances. They also know when to pressure our D to make them hurry the shot, 9 out of 10 times blocking/deflecting it before it even comes close to be a scoring threat. If I could write down what my brain is seeing fast enough when I watch them play, I could predict 8 out of 10 plays/passes/shots that the Wings will attempt before it happens. It's quite sad. I was hoping two new assistant coaches would be able to shake things up a bit, but it appears they're just sticking with what they think works.

Detroit loves that puck control and they still do control the puck better than any other team in the league, but because they limit themselves to that style of play, other teams have figured out how to stop them. Detroit isn't set up to play dump and chase, we don't have fast/big players that can skate into the corners and retrieve the puck. Helm is fast, but not big, Homer is big, but not fast, etc.

I think Tuesday's game against the Wild will be a blow out one way or another. It won't be another 1-0/2-1 win/loss. Either the Wings wake up and smoke them 5-2 or 6-1, or the Wild hand us another embarrassing loss.

Spike

FortunateSon said:
We aren't going to make the playoffs with goaltending like that, if we do, we are sure to get bounced.

3 goals allowed.

HOLY SHIT.

Jonas Gustavsson:

.886% / 3.86 gaa. FUCKING LOL. This shit will get us to the promise land BOYS. Guess what? Reimer ain't too hot as well. Please give me Thomas or something.

Guess what? You don't know what you're talking about.

CCF23

Tabris said:
I am shrugging them off. It's October. In October, Vancouver, Boston, Detroit and Anaheim are out of a playoff spot. These teams will be leading their divisions (well San Jose and Chicago may have a thing to say but they'll be battling for that top spot) by November/December.

Boston will not beat Buffalo in the Northeast.

I wouldn't even be surprised if Boston missed the playoffs. That team is Tim Thomas, and Tim Thomas isn't putting up another record breaking year.

Manics

Banned
CCF23 said:
Boston will not beat Buffalo in the Northeast.

I wouldn't even be surprised if Boston missed the playoffs. That team is Tim Thomas, and Tim Thomas isn't putting up another record breaking year.
Have you seen Thomas's numbers? 2.14 GAA and .929 save %. It's not his fault the Bruins are losing.

Acid08

Banned
Tabris said:
lol

Solo

Got just in and checked the highlights. Fuck. Yeah! Another win for le boys! Eller with the sick dangle and goal.

CCF23

Manics said:
Have you seen Thomas's numbers? 2.14 GAA and .929 save %. It's not his fault the Bruins are losing.

You're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm not saying Thomas has been bad, I'm saying that he won't be as good as he was last year (obviously, who would expect him to be?) and that the Bruins need him to be.

I just don't see the scoring on that team. They don't have a "guy" you can count on to score, and I don't think they have the depth in scoring to make up for it. That puts a lot of pressure on Thomas to be what he was last year.

Manics

Banned
CCF23 said:
You're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm not saying Thomas has been bad, I'm saying that he won't be as good as he was last year (obviously, who would expect him to be?) and that the Bruins need him to be.

I just don't see the scoring on that team. They don't have a "guy" you can count on to score, and I don't think they have the depth in scoring to make up for it. That puts a lot of pressure on Thomas to be what he was last year.
Yep scoring is their issue full stop. Thomas can't put up crazy .938 numbers like last year (or maybe he can) but he's not that far off. He's been playing well enough to win games if the Bruins could actually score.

Edit just looked. It's even worse than I thought. 22 goals scored in 10 games. Given that in one win against the Leafs they scored 6, that leaves 16 goals scored in 9 games. LOL. I dont care who you have in net you're not winning many games with that type of offense.

Solo

6293813294_8942266c37_z.jpg

SCHUEY F1 said:
ELLLEEERRRRRR! What a snipe. Poor Solo missing it :(

:_(

I could see him leaving his date and beating off to Eller in the bathroom.

C Jones said:
and of course he's probably in an Eller costume so this scenario is even crazier to imagine

SCHUEY F1 said:
Man, Eller was close again, I almost came for Solo.

SCHUEY F1 said:
Whelp, big mistake by Eller there. Erection gone.

Razorskin said:
Really bad turnover by Eller, poor Solo

:lol

Manics

Banned
Solo said:
Got just in and checked the highlights. Fuck. Yeah! Another win for le boys! Eller with the sick dangle and goal.
Remember who called this rise for the Habs. When MPW was all doom and gloom before the Philly game I said the Habs were poised to take 2 of 3 and they did even better than that.

I'm your boy.

CCF23

Manics said:
Yep scoring is their issue full stop. Thomas can't put up crazy .938 numbers like last year (or maybe he can) but he's not that far off. He's been playing well enough to win games if the Bruins could actually score.

Edit just looked. It's even worse than I thought. 22 goals scored in 10 games. Given that in one win against the Leafs they scored 6, that leaves 16 goals scored in 9 games. LOL. I dont care who you have in net you're not winning many games with that type of offense.

They were 5th in scoring last year, which is fucked. I'd be surprised if they cracked the top 15 in scoring this year. I just do not see it on that roster. Their best scorer is probably Lucic (or maybe it will be Seguin) and I have a hard time seeing him hitting 30 again with how many empty netters he scored last year.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Saw the first 2 goals last night, and checked in every 5 mins or so, great goal by eller it was nice to see him finally finish, and fuck the bruins once again. I love how Subban drew two penalties by trolling those apes, great stuff, I'm feeling a lot better about this team even if Boston is playing like shit, at least this team looks like they're gelling.

fallout

Slurmer said:
I think part of the problem is the insanity of the very outspoken Leaf fans. Every year for the past 5 seasons has been The Year for Toronto fans. I've had to hear about it at the start of every season and every time they made a late season push. It starts to wear on you after awhile.

That said, I do think they have a much better shot this year than any of the years past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom