• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

I just feel bad for whatever board he ends up on when he inevitably bandwagons to another team.

Maybe it will come out that Archie Manning had an affair with a Canadian woman and that kid gets drafted by an NHL team. He would then go bug that teams fan base.

These are all the Canucks signed for next year (years left in parentheses):

Sedin (1)
Sedin (1)
Kesler (3)
Booth (2)
Burrows (4)
Higgins (4)
Hansen (1)
Kassian (1)
Bieksa (3)
Garrison (5)
Hamhuis (3)
Ballard (2)
Edler (6)
Luongo (eternity)
Schneider (2)

UFA/RFA's (bolded are ones to keep, most minor-leaguers not included on this list):

Schroeder
Roy
Malhotra
Raymond
Lapierre
Weise
Sestito
Pinizzotto
Alberts
Tanev
Joslin
Barker

Lineup next year looks like this right now:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Hansen-Schroeder-Higgins
Lapierre

Hamhuis-Garrison
Bieksa-Edler
Tanev-Corrado
Ballard

Schneider
Luongo
Lack/Cannata

Assume Corrado makes the team, but having him and Tanev means two RHD on the bottom pairing, which is weird.

So it looks like the objectives will be to buyout/trade Ballard and Luongo, and acquire a third-line centre and a fourth line. Jensen and Gaunce could make the team on the bottom six.

But it still looks very much like the same team as last year.

Hopefully we don't fuck this coach thing up. Was just wondering what the lines would be like next season, McGinn and Stastny did not have the same magic they did after the trade was initially done. Jones needs to eat some 4th line minutes until he stops sucking so fucking much.

Cake Boss

Banned
Lightning sign Radko Gudas to a three year extension. The Northeast teams are going to love playing against him.

DAT BEARD!

radko-gudas.jpg

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Switzerland starting 3-0 into the World Championships, casually beating Sweden, Canada and the Czech republic so far. Those 3 teams are ranked 4th, 5th and 3rd in the world respectively, with the Swiss being ranked 10th. Niederreiter with 3 goals in 3 games.

Also, because they're always hilarious, daily power rankings from the IIHF:

The Slovakia one made me sad-lol :(

http://www.iihf.com/se/competition/352/home/power-ranking.html

RUSSIA
Ilya will kill ya

SWITZERLAND
The dish is Puck à la Torino, cooked by chef Martin Gerber

FINLAND
Jari, you played with Gretzky – was he as good as Kontiola?

UNITED STATES
Is America ready for an openly gold medal-contending team?

NORWAY
Who doesn’t love a little Viking-on-Viking action? Woo hoo!

SWEDEN
It’s about consistency, and we score two goals every game

CANADA
OMG...we got beaten by Tom Cruise’s daughter!

CZECH REPUBLIC
Could a non-NHLer please get a point?

SLOVAKIA
Antti, we hate you! Retweeted by Vancouver Canucks

FRANCE
After we beat Austria, Napoleon friended us on Facebook

BELARUS
Who here can score from center ice?

GERMANY
Herr Kovalchuk, please retire before 2025

DENMARK
Norway, we do not love your Viking-on-Viking action

LATVIA
Can't stop 20 Americans with one Rochester American

AUSTRIA
Clone Vanek before it's too late

SLOVENIA
Leading the tournament in guys named Rok

Fei

Sabres keep Rolston. Of course they did. Why would they wait to see if they could get Vigneault? I suppose the coach doesn't matter much when the GM openly says we're going to suck for top draft picks. Everything about this organization sucks at the moment.

Sabres keep Rolston. Of course they did. Why would they wait to see if they could get Vigneault? I suppose the coach doesn't matter much when the GM openly says we're going to suck for top draft picks. Everything about this organization sucks at the moment.

That's the "prepare for suffering" spirit!

Do you think Ruff will be a good coach for Vancouver?

Socreges

Banned
What the hell, Crawford. Stamkos passes the puck through a defenceman's legs and past another to Schultz. Schultz is given an incredible amount of space and has a huge passing lane to Giroux, who gets the pass and taps it in. Marc Crawford then proceeds to masturbate over Schultz's pass while ignoring Stamkos.

Stamkos has impressed me so much in this period. Would be nice for him to get some recognition.

Fei

Do you think Ruff will be a good coach for Vancouver?

To be honest I'm not sure that Ruff is right for the Western Conference. That style of hockey is so different from the East, where defensive focus leads to slower game pace. He let Buffalo play a fast and loose style for a couple years from 05-07, but as soon our skill level dropped a bit he immediately reverted back to his defensive system. Not saying it wouldn't work, but it doesn't seem like a natural fit.

Quick

Banned
NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| We Are All Canucks

Sorry, Canucks-GAF. You guys deserved a better fate.

Smiley90

Do the Canucks trade Luongo or Schneider or both? Do they fire the GM/Coach? Trade a Sedin? Blow it all up?

Luongo. Yes, Coah for sure, GM maybe. No, Sedin won't get traded. No, team won't get blown up.

Jachaos

Awesome ! Really happy with this and I'm also happy for Luongo who's going to get more respect elsewhere by playing well like he can. Great game, great series, LET'S GO SHARKS !

Quick

Banned
Awesome ! Really happy with this and I'm also happy for Luongo who's going to get more respect elsewhere by playing well like he can. Great game, great series, LET'S GO SHARKS !

Hey, get out of here. You guys are still in the playoffs!

Socreges

Banned
So this means the Canucks are picking, what, 21st-24th, depending on who makes the ECF/WCF?

Exciting.

I'm happy for Luongo who's going to go to a team that's willing to pay millions against the cap for years after he retires.

Cake Boss

Banned
So this means the Canucks are picking, what, 21st-24th, depending on who makes the ECF/WCF?

Exciting.

I'm happy for Luongo who's going to go to a team that's willing to pay millions against the cap for years after he retires.

Ryan Hartman is your man, you desperately need a player like that in your locker room.

To be honest I'm not sure that Ruff is right for the Western Conference. That style of hockey is so different from the East, where defensive focus leads to slower game pace. He let Buffalo play a fast and loose style for a couple years from 05-07, but as soon our skill level dropped a bit he immediately reverted back to his defensive system. Not saying it wouldn't work, but it doesn't seem like a natural fit.

Sounds a bit like the Canucks, honestly. The 2011 version (which led the league in goals) was fast and skilled.

But the Boston series changed the team. They needed to get bigger and nastier. Injuries to Kesler and Booth, the loss of Ehrhoff and Salo, plus the Hodgson trade changed the Canucks. Now they were playing more defensively, more physical.

If the addition of Garrison and the rental of Roy meant anything, it was a signal for the Canucks to revert back to a more skilled style of play. But for whatever reason (force of habit? Aging core? Stifling coach?) they couldn't do it.

I hope the new coach injects some energy into the team.

There seems to be talk about trading Edler and keeping Ballard. Edler took a step back this year while Ballard might revive his career with a new coach. Plus, Edler would net a much better return than Ballard.

Curufinwe

I've seen Edler for Couturier + Read type proposals. I think Edler's NTC kicks in on July 1st, so maybe he gets traded on draft day.

Solo

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 1m Lars Eller skated for a few minutes this morning. #canadiens #RDS

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg

Cassie Campbell ‏@CassieCampbell 41s Gionta will undergo bicep surgery on Friday and obviously done for the season @hockeynight This was initially reported by @KevinWeekes

In my eyes, the end of his career.

Var

I've seen Edler for Couturier + Read type proposals. I think Edler's NTC kicks in on July 1st, so maybe he gets traded on draft day.

No thanks. I think he gets traded before the start of next season; but I can't see him bring that much back.

Smiley90

No thanks. I think he gets traded before the start of next season; but I can't see him bring that much back.

Wat? Edler is young and extremely talented. Unless there's a big return I don't want to see him traded. I actually really like our D-corps.

Edler
Bieksa
Hamhuis
Garrison
Tanev
Corrado

Alberts as 7th.

Get rid of Ballard (and fucking Barker of course) and we're good.

Wat? Edler is young and extremely talented. Unless there's a big return I don't want to see him traded. I actually really like our D-corps.

So do I. Our main problem (apart from cap) is figuring out how to renew the top line before our best players get too old. Philly made various mistakes but they did spectacularly in renewing up front too. Nobody we draft is going to make the team year one so trades and cap finangling seems to be the plan.

Yep, Canucks actually have pretty decent defensive depth at the moment, though it's too early to rate Corrado. Up front though, they lack any top-line talent and their prospect pool isn't great.

Sedins and Edler will go to the World Championships.

RC

Banned
Edler had a lousy season. The man was a defensive liability more often than not. But I'd only consider a trade if we can get a really good return on him.

Quick

Banned
The Stars are unveiling their new jerseys on June 4th. Really took them long enough to finally change it. Their current/now-old ones suck purely because of the wordmark logo. Could've probably fixed that by replacing the wordmark with the Stars logo.

Marvie_3

Banned
The Stars are unveiling their new jerseys on June 4th. Really took them long enough to finally change it. Their current/now-old ones suck purely because of the wordmark logo. Could've probably fixed that by replacing the wordmark with the Stars logo.
They'd still look terrible, just slightly less so. Its awesome they're going back to green as the primary color.

Top Bottom