• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Love the title change for this XBone thread

Can't believe so many people thought it was real. I guess it was the one saving grace that would have sorta rationalized continuing to side with Microsoft despite everything.

Also, Heretic, you called me a conspiracy theorist. In your world are the people who believe in the moon landing the ones who need to get their heads checked? :p

There is still zero evidence for it being limited to 60 mins. That thread got a title change because anti-MS is how the winds are currently blowing. Obviously there is no point trying to explain this to you though.

There is still zero evidence for it being limited to 60 mins. That thread got a title change because anti-MS is how the winds are currently blowing. Obviously there is no point trying to explain this to you though.

charlton-heston-laughing-gif.gif

Montresor

Animal Crossing is getting so much better now that I've left the island alone and have started to treat the game as more of a 20-min distraction during the day instead of a hardcore game. I could easily spend 6 hours each day on this thing but it is too much of a stupid timesink. Today I re-organized stuff in my house, I enjoyed my new Nookington's shop (T&T Mart), collected the daily fossils, donated them, and shut the system down.

Animal Crossing is getting so much better now that I've left the island alone and have started to treat the game as more of a 20-min distraction during the day instead of a hardcore game. I could easily spend 6 hours each day on this thing but it is too much of a stupid timesink. Today I re-organized stuff in my house, I enjoyed my new Nookington's shop (T&T Mart), collected the daily fossils, donated them, and shut the system down.

So.... why not just reorganize your REAL LIFE home? This whole game makes no sense to me! I WANT to understand!

Montresor

http://winsupersite.com/xbox/xbox-one-preview-what-really-happened-family-sharing?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Somebody is not telling the truth. People's willingness to accept demo model as 100% truth isn't any better than the full model. TRUTH

The change is still a great thing, even if family sharing worked the way MS originally advertised it (10 members in the family, 2 could play any game simultaneously). You can now trade in your games to pay for new games, and you don't have to worry about unexpected internet outages. This is a victory. Just thank the internet for bitching about this and move on! XB1 got 100 times better after removing the DRM. I enjoyed the possibility of the original family sharing plan but I take the status quo any day.

Montresor

So.... why not just reorganize your REAL LIFE home? This whole game makes no sense to me! I WANT to understand!

In real life I cannot afford to pay off multiple mortages in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Plus you can personalize everything in this game, from your furniture, to the trees in-town or at the island, your clothes, your house's exterior, the amenities and construction projects around town, etc... and your villagers' greetings too.

BNTwCa0CEAIt-P3.jpg:large

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
http://winsupersite.com/xbox/xbox-one-preview-what-really-happened-family-sharing?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Somebody is not telling the truth. People's willingness to accept demo model as 100% truth isn't any better than the full model. TRUTH

The PR is very particularly worded, and "unlimited" to them doesn't necessarily mean what "unlimited" might mean to you. See also: "unlimited" data plans.

More importantly, though, Microsoft's own FAQ actually stated outright that you could only play for one hour when accessing your library from another Xbox One. It was just worded very obtusely and in such a context that it could have been read to mean that you could only play for one hour without checking in online, even though that's not what it actually said.

fallout

It's really the best way to play AC. I played both the GameCube and DS ones for 20 minutes day for close to 6 months. It doesn't feel like much, but over that period, you really have invested a ton of time into the game.

Socreges

Banned

Paul Thurrot, writer for SUPERSITE FOR WINDOWS, (deliberately?) misinterpreted Microsoft's cloudy language:

Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games.

So it's not that Microsoft was necessarily lying. It just appears that they've been both giving us information in cryptic phrasing (I'm reminded of "at a given time") and withholding information.

I'm gonna have to side with the story that doesn't completely unravel once faced with reality (publishers pushing to eliminate used game sales, yet allowing for such a sharing system that would cannibalize new game sales?). Like I said before, Microsoft communications were always shrouded and contradictory. They could have definitely misrepresented their family sharing system, the one that apparently existed for just a handful of days.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Paul Thurrot, writer for SUPERSITE FOR WINDOWS, (deliberately?) misinterpreted Microsoft's cloudy language:

Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games.

So it's not that Microsoft was necessarily lying. It just appears that they've been both giving us information in cryptic phrasing (I'm reminded of "at a given time") and withholding information.

I'm gonna have to side with the story that doesn't completely unravel once faced with reality (publishers pushing to eliminate used game sales, yet allowing for such a sharing system that would cannibalize new game sales?). Like I said before, Microsoft communications were always shrouded and contradictory. They could have definitely misrepresented their family sharing system, the one that apparently existed for just a handful of days.

Wording is definitely muddy. Doesn't really matter at this point anyways.

Samyy

Also now that they've canceled it they have no reason to tell us what it actually was. They'll string people along with the idea because a lot of fans rallied around it like it was some saving grace. It'll probably be forgotten just like the damn UMD transfer program.

Marvie_3

Banned
It's really the best way to play AC. I played both the GameCube and DS ones for 20 minutes day for close to 6 months. It doesn't feel like much, but over that period, you really have invested a ton of time into the game.

Fuck that. I've got landscaping to do.

Socreges

Banned
Also now that they've canceled it they have no reason to tell us what it actually was. They'll string people along with the idea because a lot of fans rallied around it like it was some saving grace. It'll probably be forgotten just like the damn UMD transfer program.
Yeah it does seem like a PR move to have people quietly rally around DRM and its "features" (these are the sorts of things that are possible! this is the future!) which will inevitably be introduced in the next console cycle, if not sooner (in some form).

Acid08

Banned
Finished Season 1 (2005) of Doctor Who. Thought it was great, especially the finale.

Yeah, I am about at the end of the next season. I liked the first season a lot better.

I have watched the first two of season 2 and I like it, but at this point I prefer Eccleston. I do like Billie Piper.
Eccleston is definitely awesome but Tennant will grow on you. By the end of the 2nd season you'll love him.

One day I'll go back and finish the Matt Smith stuff I guess. Only made it a few episodes into season 6 before giving up.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Gillis should have gotten the boot along with AV.
He should've gone first in my opinion. He offered almost nothing to the team positively and saddled them with that Loluongo contract.

I don't think anything he has done has made the team better, he's just the beneficiary of a good core from Nonis and Burke.

Not sure how many Canucks fans blame AV...? The ones I spoke to say it's Gillis.

Finished Season 1 (2005) of Doctor Who. Thought it was great, especially the finale.

Correction: It was fantastic. ;)

Doctor Who is amazing. Unfortunately I've never built the same emotional attachment to Smith. I blame Amy Pond mostly, who after 1/2 of Season 5 I was already over. Hoping to like the next guy more.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Correction: It was fantastic. ;)

Doctor Who is amazing. Unfortunately I've never built the same emotional attachment to Smith. I blame Amy Pond mostly, who after 1/2 of Season 5 I was already over. Hoping to like the next guy more.

I really didn't know anything about Doctor Who going into it. I love the continuity between characters and time periods so far.

And yeah it was fantastic :)

He should've gone first in my opinion. He offered almost nothing to the team positively and saddled them with that Loluongo contract.

I don't think anything he has done has made the team better, he's just the beneficiary of a good core from Nonis and Burke.

Not sure how many Canucks fans blame AV...? The ones I spoke to say it's Gillis.
I'll be honest. That is the biggest pile of shit I have ever heard. There's a lot of blame to go around Gillis for things, but there's just much praise for him as well. What has he done to make the team better? Well let's see.

- Signed and locked up our top 4 defense to long and below-market values contracts.
- Signed the Sedins to hilariously below market value contracts.
- Signed Alex Burrows to a even more hilariously below market value contracts.
- Signed Ryan Kesler to a below market value contract.
- Acquired and signed Chris Higgins and Max Lapierre, both of them who would late become core pieces of the team.
- Acquired pieces in 2010 that became a huge part of our cup run that year, including Malhotra, Hamhuis and Torres.
- Signs good prospects off of the free agent market/undrafted market: Tanev, Lack, Eriksson, McEneny
- Hired Laurence Gilman
- Traded garbage for Christian Ehrhoff
- Traded garbage for David Booth

Our best two defenseman from last season (Hamhuis/Garrison) are both entirely products of Gillis and came to Vancouver for very good value.

He's ensured that there exists a culture of taking hometown discounts to stay and help the team acquire more talent.

His draft record hasn't been great in his early years, but they've improved much more recently and his FA prospect finds have generally turned out into really good finds.

You can't even blame him for the Luongo contract considering that deal made absolute sense at the time. Hell, we had a top NHL goaltender making 5.3 million dollars a year against the cap, that is an incredible steal. And you want to talk about Luongo's albatross contract while completely ignoring the other similar contracts going on at the time? Hell. fucking Jonathan Quick got the exact same contract Luongo had and no one is bitching to LA about that.

I think for anything who believes Mike Gillis has been nothing but bad for this team is out of their fucking mind. He's made plenty of gaffes, most of which you can't really even blame him for. How was he going to predict that Keith Ballard, someone who was a consistent top-4 defenseman for his entire career, would've bombed in Vancouver? How would he know that David Booth would've gone on to acquire the wrath of the gods in his two season in Vancouver and refuse to stay healthy? At the time, those trades were absolutely good trades that anyone would've made. You cant' go ahead and blame the GM with 20/20 hindsight when things don't work out for unforseen reasons.

You want to talk about inheriting a good core from Nonis and Burke, but completely disregard that 2/3s of our top six defense is entirely the product of Mike Gillis.

AV took the fall for Gillis's failures. But if they both get canned then it's a rebuilding signal.

Socreges

Banned

+ His draft picks haven't developed yet, and he had one top 20 pick (Hodgson)
+ Trading garbage (including a Burke draft bust) for Ehrhoff
+ Bringing in Hamhuis
+ Signing Burrows to a 4yr/8m deal
+ Re-signing the Sedins to great deals
+ Bringing in Malhotra
+ Holding onto Schneider when people were offering little (he NEVER gets credit for this, as if being burdened with two great goaltenders is somehow a fuckup) Nonis tried to trade Schneider for fucking BRULE
+ Bringing in Higgins

- The Grabner/Ballard trade (AWFUL)
- The Hodgson/Kassian trade (I've never liked it - might eventually work out, but who knows)

Please feel free to add anything I may have missed.

And I don't hold the Luongo contract against him. No one should. It wan't a bad contract until it became clear that the new CBA would change everything about those long-term deals (of which many exist).

Socreges

Banned
How he handled the entire Luongo situation was an entire fuck up.
Disagreed. And we've talked about this. I respect that other people think he should have traded him for peanuts earlier instead of inevitably trading him for peanuts later. But I personally liked having the two goalies if we weren't able to bring in immediate impact players.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Tortorella to Vancouver is both the best and tje worst thing that could've happened. It will be ridiculously entertaining to see how he'll handle the team and the media, but I'm scared the players are just gonna walk out crying after their first loss and call for a new coach.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Disagreed. And we've talked about this. I respect that other people think he should have traded him for peanuts earlier instead of inevitably trading him for peanuts later. But I personally liked having the two goalies if we weren't able to bring in immediate impact players.
The only people who don't seem to think he handled it as poorly as he could have are Canuck fans which is understandable and the only reason it didn't blow up in his face more is because Lu handled it better then I image most athletes would. Gillis disrespected him, and makes himself look foolish thinking he can get a great payment for one of the worst contracts in the league.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
+ His draft picks haven't developed yet, and he had one top 20 pick (Hodgson)
+ Trading garbage (including a Burke draft bust) for Ehrhoff
+ Bringing in Hamhuis
+ Signing Burrows to a 4yr/8m deal
+ Re-signing the Sedins to great deals
+ Bringing in Malhotra
+ Holding onto Schneider when people were offering little (he NEVER gets credit for this, as if being burdened with two great goaltenders is somehow a fuckup) Nonis tried to trade Schneider for fucking BRULE
+ Bringing in Higgins

- The Grabner/Ballard trade (AWFUL)
- The Hodgson/Kassian trade (I've never liked it - might eventually work out, but who knows)

Please feel free to add anything I may have missed.

And I don't hold the Luongo contract against him. No one should. It wan't a bad contract until it became clear that the new CBA would change everything about those long-term deals (of which many exist).

Hornet's nest! I love it!

Ehrhoff, Hamhuis and Schenider I'll give you (I keep thinking Ehrhoff and Hamhuis were Nonis)

Signing the Sedins was part of his job and it's not like they got far low market value for it. Also not like they wanted to go anywhere. Kesler is more indicative, but he wasn't even drafted by him.

Higgins meh?

Malholtra one good playoff?

Who brought Barker on? Ballard?

The only people who don't seem to think he handled it as poorly as he could have are Canuck fans which is understandable and the only reason it didn't blow up in his face more is because Lu handled it better then I image most athletes would. Gillis disrespected him, and makes himself look foolish thinking he can get a great payment for one of the worst contracts in the league.
So what does that make Jonathan Quick's albatross contract?

Hornet's nest! I love it!

Ehrhoff, Hamhuis and Schenider I'll give you (I keep thinking Ehrhoff and Hamhuis were Nonis)

Signing the Sedins was part of his job and it's not like they got far low market value for it. Also not like they wanted to go anywhere. Kesler is more indicative, but he wasn't even drafted by him.

Higgins meh?

Malholtra one good playoff?

Who brought Barker on? Ballard?
$6 million dollars for two elite scoring forwards isn't far low market value? They left at least $1 million a piece on the table to sign here.

Ballard isn't Gillis's mistake, it's AV's mistake for not playing him properly. When he was traded, no one griped about it. We were getting a legitimate top-4 defenseman for a 1st round pick and a redundant forward that had severe effort issues.

I didn't like the Barker signing much, but it didn't really hurt the team any way. It was a low-risk/high-reward signing for an 8th defenseman.

Top Bottom