• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm suprised Canucks Gaf went at it with Cake Boss, I guess it's part of the NHL-Gaf experience now.

Quick

Banned
Globalization. Same reason SARS made it to Canada.

tumblr_mbjkkeNyK61raqiw9o1_400.gif

Ference stating the obvious in that he won't be back next year.

Boston Bruins ‏@NHLBruins 6m
Andrew:"with the current cap, Peter's not going to be able to keep me. He's got to resign Tuukka & obviously do his side of the business"^CS

Boston Bruins ‏@NHLBruins 4m
AF21 said "w/the new CBA [GM Peter Chiarelli] is restricted. Wish it wasn't so"-said how much he loves team, city^CS pic.twitter.com/48r8m2Janu

I'll miss him.

According to McKenzie buyout period starts at 11pm tonight but candidates must clear waivers. Tommorrow's waivers at noon EST will be the 1st set of candidates. Buyout period runs till 5pm EST 4 July. So the last set of buyouts candidates on the waiver line will be on July 3rd.

Bryz on the buyout: so long, and thanks for all the money.

I liked him as a person, and he had some flashes of great goaltending...but there was no way he could ever play up to the contract. The Philly media feud certainly didn't help (wonder who they'll go after next,) but there were plenty of other issues with his performance and Lavy.

I figured they'd keep him another season, then do the buyout. Best of luck to him wherever he lands up.

Cake Boss

Banned
2. I'm hearing Yzerman is trying to trade Ryan Malone. Tampa Bay would prefer to avoid a buyout payout and the Lightning are offering a draft pick as an enticement. Malone has a no-move clause in his contract until July 1, which gives him some control of the situation. It is a limited no-trade after then.

From 30 thoughts of Elliot Friedman.

2 years left at 4.5.

Edit:

24. The other interesting one is Marian Hossa, who was very good until a back problem slowed him down. This is purely an educated guess, but I wondered if Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray might approach the Blackhawks to see if he is available. Things did not end well between Hossa and the Senators in 2005, but maybe time heals the wound. He would be a perfect fit for Ottawa, but that's harder to see now.

Friedman, pls stahp.

ZeroGravity

So much for this loophole that people were talking about:

The NHL on Monday moved to close a loophole left in the allegedly airtight collective bargaining agreement by notifying general managers the league would deem re-signing a player following a trade and a subsequent amnesty buyout as circumvention, and thus would not register the contract, The Post has learned.

It is believed the Lightning and Maple Leafs had discussed such a maneuver regarding Vincent Lecavalier, who has seven years and $45 million remaining on his contract, with the buyout thus worth slightly more than $30 million.

Friedman, pls stahp.

LOL Friedman descended into HFBoards territory with that one and he is usually very good.

I am sure Muckler burned all the bridges for good, not that there is any reason for him to leave Chicago anyway.

Besides our cheapskate owner would never agree to taking on that contract.

Cake Boss

Banned
All those trips to barbados and the divorce settlement are costly.

If you cant make some cash with the last 2 seasons we had and with one of the lowest salaried teams in the league then you need to GTFO and give us a real owner.

All those trips to barbados and the divorce settlement are costly.

If you cant make some cash with the last 2 seasons we had and with one of the lowest salaried teams in the league then you need to GTFO and give us a real owner.

yeah I am sure he got cleaned out in that divorce, probably spent a lot on the Matt Cooke CSI investigation too.

I am sure he's made money but how much more can he invest in the team without raising ticket prices ? Don't forget the Sens probably lost a lot of money due to the lockout.

They can't charge MLSE ticket prices up here.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Vancouver asked for permission to talk to Mike Sullivan?

IO4KfUe.gif

I wanted him out of the organization much much more than I ever wanted Torts out. Enjoy your new power play, 'Nucks-GAF.

Cake Boss

Banned
Wayne Scanlan ‏@HockeyScanner 2m

@FriedgeHNIC Murray told me yesterday that the easy fix for the Sens would be a couple of $5 mil free agents, but budget is not there.

Ahh fuck off Melnyk.

Yeah remember when the Preds and the Coyotes won the cup as a budget team or when that team won it by not being so close to cap, yeah remember that.

I liked him as a person, and he had some flashes of great goaltending...but there was no way he could ever play up to the contract. The Philly media feud certainly didn't help (wonder who they'll go after next,) but there were plenty of other issues with his performance and Lavy.

I figured they'd keep him another season, then do the buyout. Best of luck to him wherever he lands up.

Bryz' talents were wasted in Philadelphia because of their lack of depth on defense. He'll thrive elsewhere and on a cheaper contract. But I've also heard that Bryz' locker room presence wasn't always the best.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
mc79hockey ‏@mc79hockey 11m
As far as Leafs dealing for Vinny goes...say they deal for him, buy him out, a third team signs him and trades him for a 7th. Is that ok?

Ahh fuck off Melnyk.

Yeah remember when the Preds and the Coyotes won the cup as a budget team or when that team won it by not being so close to cap, yeah remember that.

Only way we win a Cup is catch lighting in a bottle with a lot of talented players who break out while still on their cheap ELCs. We might not be able to afford to keep the lineup we have once players hit RFA status.

I don't really mind what they're doing. No point in spending on mediocre UFA players. Keep cap room to resign the players we do have. We're a lot better than some cap teams.

I can't really think of anyone really worth spending for. They need to replace Gonchar and add a top-6 winger. Sounds like Wiercioch will fill that role internally.

They'd need a top-6 winger on a short term deal as we have prospects that could do the job in a few years or less. Probably why the Hemsky rumors are around.

Cake Boss

Banned
Only way we win a Cup is catch lighting in a bottle with a lot of talented players who break out while still on their cheap ELCs. We might not be able to afford to keep the lineup we have once players hit RFA status.

I don't really mind what they're doing. No point in spending on mediocre UFA players. Keep cap room to resign the players we do have. We're a lot better than some cap teams.

I can't really think of anyone really worth spending for.

Yeah I am not saying he goes all Pegula and signs a bunch of Leino's and Erhoff's, just worried that we will stay a budget team forever and he thinks that being a budget team can get him a cup.

History has shown that all cup winners have had to go out and get external talent and paid a heavy price for it in order to win it all.

Chi- Hossa
LA- Carter/ Richards
BOS- Chara/Horton
etc

Heretic

Philadelphia... Where goalies go to die.

Yeah I am not saying he goes all Pegula and signs a bunch of Leino's and Erhoff's, just worried that we will stay a budget team forever and he thinks that you can take the next step without spending and relying on ELCs.

I doubt we'll stay a budget team forever unless there are problems with Melnyk's finances (and some guys on HFB are saying that Melnyk isn't doing as well he used to).

They were willing to trade for Nash who wasn't cheap, I'm willing to bet they would have thrown a lot of $$ at Perry if he hit UFA. I think they are just being really careful and efficient to only spend on a player who will really make a difference and who is better than any of our prospects. A big name who would sell tickets and jerseys as well is something Melnyk would look at.

I'd rather they save budget and cap room to resign our own guys. Free agency gets worse every year.

It's more important that they make the right trade(s) at this point to take us to the next level. We have a really good core forming.

History has shown that all cup winners have had to go out and get external talent and paid a heavy price for it in order to win it all.

LA is the closest to us IMO. Most of the King's best players were drafted by them and that will be true for us as well. They have/had quite a good prospect tool and could afford to trade Schenn and Johnson for Richards/Carter. If BM can find a trade like that (they don't happen often) I think he will pull the trigger. He was willing to trade Zib+++ for Nash because it's very unlikely any of our prospects will ever be as good as Nash.

And we have been getting external talent where needed. Look at what Anderson has brought since they got him. Gonchar was pretty good in his time here as well.

Samyy

Holy hell were the Bruins trying to kill Bergeron, how do they let him play like this?

"GM Chiarelli expands on Bergeron's injuries: rib cartilage damage, separated shoulder, nerve block, small hole in lung. Played thru all."

Hole in lung...what the fuckkkkkkkk

DomZ

Holy hell were the Bruins trying to kill Bergeron, how do they let him play like this?

"GM Chiarelli expands on Bergeron's injuries: rib cartilage damage, separated shoulder, nerve block, small hole in lung. Played thru all."

Yeah I just read that. All I thought it was was just broken bones and stuff like what usually happens, but a hole in the guys lung. Jesus.

TheFatOne

That is fucking insane. How do you let a player play with those types of injuries. This is seriously some fucked up shit. Bruins organization should be held accountable.

That is fucking insane. How do you let a player play with those types of injuries. This is seriously some fucked up shit. Bruins organization should be held accountable.

It happens all the time. It's the playoffs no player wants to be on the sidelines.

The Bruins let him but Bergeron probably insisted he play no matter what as well.

Desharnais resigns for 2 years with SJ.

wut ? Habs got rid of him already ?

Come on Army, I wanna see the Petro and Shatt contracts done.

Berglund 1 yr 3.25, not sure if anyone posted that yesterday. Still RFA after 13-14, ideal contract for a trade.

DomZ

@HackswithHaggs-Peter Chiarelli: "It was a very small puncture (in the lung), but Patrice is fine now."
Just fine. It's also coming out that he had nerve issues and they just froze it.

Sheeeet. Rib cartilage stuff is enough reason to shut him down, as your diaphragm isn't working as it should at that point. But a punctured lung too? Jesus, that is an immense amount of pain to just breath at their rate in game.

Alucard

Banned

Kind of irresponsible on the Bruins' part, IMO. Get that man off the ice.

I'd love for the Avs to go after Ference, Horton or Stalberg this off season.

Also it's crazy Bergeron had a hole in his lung, but they said it happened after game 6.

Holy shit, talk about irresponsible. Their medical staff should have dragged him out of the locker room before the game.

He's a warrior, and obviously wanted to (and could) play, but there's no way he should've been on the ice.

I'm glad that this was the man that beat the Maple Leafs.

Top Bottom