• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Quick

Banned
Devils-GAF right now:

iqafOp8zvhprM.gif

Cake Boss

Banned
HOLY FUCK.

I thought he was retiring because of some undisclosed injury we didnt know about, but hes actually retiring to go back to the KHL? holy shit.

This is why teams are afraid of drafting russians in the 1st round, especially ones that come from KHL and MHL.

There will always be the KHL factor.

sammich

There's no GIF for this

Maybe the exploding head one.

This shits on the franchise on so many levels.

Actually this probably saved your franchise as you guys cant pay any bills right now and in theory saved his 11 mil or whatever he makes per season for a 250k cap hit.

Cake Boss

Banned
THE STATS GUY ‏@TH2NSTATSGUY 5m
Kovalchuk & Clarkson scored 27% of the Devils goals over the last 2 seasons.....now it's up to Clowe & Ryder.

Osorio

Actually this probably saved your franchise as you guys cant pay any bills right now and in theory saved his 11 mil or whatever he makes per season for a 250k cap hit.

Assuming most people renewed their ticket plans we'll be fine next season.

The one after that I'm not so sure.

calder

He'd be stupid not to go to the KHL and earn all that ruble.

Well yeah it's pure win for him, shorter season, easier competition, almost as much money when you factor his not being taxed, and he gets to be home. And the Olympics. Wow.

One thing I had forgotten, are the Devils in financial trouble a bit? We're so used to seeing shit like this and focusing on the cap hit because 90% of the time that's what the team is worried about, but in this situation is it more that the Devils really don't want to pay him 11m a season for a few more years? Is this the benefit for the Devils?

Merguson

Banned
I wonder if Lou Lamoriello knowing about Kovalchuk's potential retirement was the basis for the appeal to the NHL to keep the 1st round pick in 2014?

Top Bottom