• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

calder

No, he isn't that high profile, but it still isn't something that Bettman would welcome. For Kovalchuk himself, and for what him leaving could mean for other players down the road. When's the last time the NHL has lost one of their best players to another league?

34904876csya.jpg

I actually suspect the league might be more ok with this as they can shrug it off as an unintended result of the old cap-avoidance contracts they fought to eliminate in the lockout.

Cake Boss

Banned
Roenick going in hard on Kovalchuck on twitter :lol

Kovalchuk: " Lets say the KHL offer has moved me.....TO A BIGGER HOUSE!"

Edit: For 20M? holy fuck Roenick can suck my nuts, I can get paid 3 times as much right now, and get to play in my home country in front of my family and friends, against weaker competition plus a lock for the Olympics. PEACE OUT.

Kovalchuk: " Lets say the KHL offer has moved me.....TO A BIGGER HOUSE!"

Edit: For 20M? holy fuck Roenick can suck my nuts, I can get paid 3 times as much right now, and get to play in my home country in front of my family and friends, against weaker competition plus a lock for the Olympics. PEACE OUT.

:lololololol

Curufinwe

Pittsburgh and Columbus would be the only logical picks from the Atlantic. Then you would have:

TB
FLA
CAR
WSH
PHI
NJ
NYR
NYI

Basically a straight jaunt up I-95, more or less.

Yup. Pittsburgh would go to the Northeast and get to play six games against Detroit in return for only playing Philly twice. A fair compromise.

Columbus could stay in the Central (for balanced conferences) and have no more west coast travel than eastern teams if you used the schedule where teams only play the teams outside their division twice.

iLLmAtlc

Seems like a big betrayal right now but I think he did the Devils a big favour by leaving all of the rich years on the table given their financial situation. From the Devils' perspective having him here to make sure their pick forfeited isn't a really high one makes 0 sense because either way the pick is already gone. What's real though is the 11 million or whatever it is they'd have to fork over for him to play.

just saw the 20 million figure looks like he's on his way to bankrupting his 2nd team in as many tries

Heretic

I may be overreacting but this seems like a huge blow to the league and something the league should be worried about. I think if Ovi decides to leave then the league might be in big trouble.

Tabris

Cory Schneider, from one clusterfuck to another. Poor kid.

Hey at least our team is most likely making the playoffs for the foreseeable future (whether we blow it in first round or not is up for debate)... he's now gone to a team that most likely won't even make the playoffs for years.

I may be overreacting but this seems like a huge blow to the league and something the league should be worried about. I think if Ovi decides to leave then the league might be in big trouble.

This will certainly change scouting. More CHL/NCAA/USNTDP players are probably going to be picked first.

Samyy

It'll be interesting to see what Ovechkin does but I don't think Malkin would leave
I don't see Datsyuk leaving either.

It'll be interesting to see what Ovechkin does but I don't think Malkin would leave

Too many endorsements.

And his fiance is a professional athlete who travels all the time as well, so it wouldn't be like he'd be spending more time with her.

Already has his extension with it being said that he was open to adding another year onto it. So when this extension is up, he may opt for another year.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
$20m? And as Elliotte Friedman pointed out, the tax rate in Russia is much lower than it is for Kovy in NJ. He's going to be making a lot more money.
And most importantly, he doesn't have to live in New Jersey anymore.

NHL should bar Kovy from re-entering the NHL if he gets tired of the KHL until the original terms of his Devils contract would expire.
If he wants to come back all 30 teams would have to agree to it, which isn't happening.

This will certainly change scouting. More CHL/NCAA/USNTDP players are probably going to be picked first.
More? The majority of draft picks are already from NA, Russian players already had prejudice issues against them, this won't help obviously.

Socreges

Banned
Hey at least our team is most likely making the playoffs for the foreseeable future (whether we blow it in first round or not is up for debate)... he's now gone to a team that most likely won't even make the playoffs for years.
The Luongo/Schneider situation has been a clusterfuck, and continues to be a clusterfuck. I'm not taking anything for granted until I hear Luongo speak publicly.

Samyy

See its unlikely the three big Russian NHL stars leave, this is probably a bigger issue with future draft talent electing to not move over to the NHL.

That being said, if KHL continues expanding into other countries...this could effect talent from Sweden etc?

The Luongo/Schneider situation has been a clusterfuck, and continues to be a clusterfuck. I'm not taking anything for granted until I hear Luongo speak publicly.
It will continue to be a clusterfuck until our goalie pipeline runs dry.

Luongo still has Lack and Eriksson clawing at his job.

See its unlikely the three big Russian NHL stars leave, this is probably a bigger issue with future draft talent electing to not move over to the NHL.

That being said, if KHL continues expanding into other countries...this could effect talent from Sweden etc?
The chance of KHL expanding into Sweden seems to bee almost non-existing at this point and for Swedish talent to start leaving for KHL they will have to out pay NHL by a good amount if we arent talking about players that have a hard time to make it to the NHL.

Marvie_3

Banned
The chance of KHL expanding into Sweden seems to bee almost non-existing at this point and for Swedish talent to start leaving for KHL they will have to out pay NHL by a good amount if we arent talking about players that have a hard time to make it to the NHL.

I wouldn't completely rule it out though. Jokerit from SM-Liiga is moving to the KHL in 2014. It's possible an SEL team could do the same at some point.

Top Bottom