• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Poor Devils.
Last year, Parise went home (Minny) and now Kovalchuk is also going home.

I don't think they Devils are FUCKED (cap penalty is negligible and the cash-strapped owner is probably kinda happy about this), but the team just lost their best player and there's really no way to replace him this year.

You could say that the Devils forfeited that 1st round pick (which might be VERY good... another reason why they should've forfeited last year's lolololol), but that wasn't really Kovalchuk's fault. That was Lou (and the NHL's) fault.

At the end of the day, the NHL lost one of it's best players in his prime... and that kinda sucks.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Assuming most people renewed their ticket plans we'll be fine next season.

The one after that I'm not so sure.
They announced today that 90% of season tick holders had renewed, probably waited to hear that before announcing this :lol

Red_Man

Per a source within KHL, Kovalchuk made upwards of $15M while playing there during the lockout. IF he goes there, that's his likely salary.
Yea, he's not walking away from money, he just doesn't give a fuck about the cup and probably realizes they won't be close again for a while.

Socreges

Banned
Why didn't the Devils forfeit their 2012 pick? #29 FFS. I'll never understand. Now they're forced to give up what could be a top ten pick.

Bobby Bonilla has company I guess?
KuGsj.gif

Bobby gets paid though, this is just the Devils taking a cap hit. The Bonilla situation is most like DiPietro

Red_Man

Short term? How long will it take them to find a replacement player of Kovalchuk's calibre?

Quite a long time.
Especially since they have to forfeit their first rounder this season which could very well be a top 10+ pick with Kovy's absence.

Socreges

Banned
I completely agree. You know he is laughing it up somewhere right now.
The NHL just lost Ilya Kovalchuk. And the KHL just scored Ilya Kovalchuk. This is also another bad precedent for Russian players in the NHL.

So I don't think Bettman is pleased about this.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 6m
If Kovalchuk had retired next year, the cap penalty would have been nearly $700,000 a year for the following 11 years.

Ken Campbell ‏@THNKenCampbell 1m
Let's not forget, the Devils are, according to some sources, carrying about $300 million in debt at the moment. Big savings for them.

Mike Colligan ‏@MikeColligan 47s
Considering the #Devils financial situation, the Kovalchuk retirement might end up being the best thing for their chances at survival

Mike Colligan ‏@MikeColligan 3m
If Kovalchuk had played 5 more seasons (age 35), he would have earned $56m ($11.2m/yr) and left #Devils with a $3.7m cap penalty for 7 years

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So are they off the hook for his contract this year?

Samyy

The NHL just lost Ilya Kovalchuk. And the KHL just scored Ilya Kovalchuk. This is also another bad precedent for Russian players in the NHL.

So I don't think Bettman is pleased about this.

Kovy is popular, but they are lucky he is really not that high profile. He was never really marketed as a premier NHL player and played for a smaller market team in NJ.

If the NHL was ever to lose Ovi though....

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie 2m
Source tells Post that NHL will not attempt to prevent Kovalchuk from playing in KHL. NHL return would have to be approved by every team.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 54s
RT @AlexandrZaytsev: Sport-Express is reporting that Kovalchuk will play for SKA in the KHL.

:LOL

calder

So are they off the hook for his contract this year?

Yes, they have a small cap hit but beyond that they are good. Well, other than losing an irreplaceable player in his prime and also losing a first round pick as a result of his initial contract. Oh and I guess the timing fucked them over on some recent FA moves too.

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 6m

On Kovalchuk: He was entering the "big money" years of his contract. From 2013-14 until 2017-18, he was to make $56M....

But tax rate (including NJ state tax) is about 45 per cent here, it is 13 per cent there. So, you have an idea what he will be paid...

While the Devils would be annoyed from a hockey perspective, I'd bet league/ownership is not upset from a business perspective. Why?...

Because without this contract on the books, it will be easier to find a seller or a cash infusion for the team.
Hmm, interesting about the Devils potential sale.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
A few quick thoughts on Kovalchuk's "retirement" from NHL that voids his NHL contract but paves way for him to sign in KHL:

1. Mutual (player and club agree) termination of an NHL contract not that unusual but usually involves lower-profile players.

2. If NJ had so chosen, it could've blocked Kovalchuk from the KHL by tolling contract. But NJ isn't doing that, he's free to go to KHL.

3. Kovalchuk doesn't get paid anything (by NJ) and Devils don't get cap hit other than a modest $250K/year penalty for each of next 12 years

4. NJ will miss Kovallchuk on ice in the short term but long-term gain is getting out from under long-term financial obligation.

Socreges

Banned
So Kovalchuk may have been doing the Devils a favour. In a way.

Kovy is popular, but they are lucky he is really not that high profile. He was never really marketed as a premier NHL player and played for a smaller market team in NJ.

If the NHL was ever to lose Ovi though....
No, he isn't that high profile, but it still isn't something that Bettman would welcome. For Kovalchuk himself, and for what him leaving could mean for other players down the road. When's the last time the NHL has lost one of their best players to another league?

So Kovalchuk may have been doing the Devils a favour. In a way.

No, he isn't that high profile, but it still isn't something that Bettman would welcome. For Kovalchuk himself, and for what him leaving could mean for other players down the road. When's the last time the NHL has lost one of their best players to another league?

Probably Jagr?

JABEE

I guess you can't blame the Devils for letting him go, but I wonder what the NHL thinks about them not tolling the deal.

No team should pay for someone that wants to retire/not play for their team anymore. It's just the ramifications are different in terms of how transfer agreements work in the NHL. Lou basically allowed for Kovalchuk to leave for the KHL while under contract.

The CBA already has information on cap recapture, so it all makes sense. The Devils did the right thing. It really sucks to lose your best player. The Flyers have experienced that with losing Pronger to a freak accident. It's tough to replace a player of their calibers. The Flyers are still trying to find a replacement.

@Sean_Leahy Ilya Kovalchuk will join SKA, could earn $20 million per season: Report | Puck Daddyhttp://yhoo.it/1aeNWiu

D:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Z1PKn6w.gif

Samyy

I would probably defect for 20mil a season too :loooool
They NHL has to start to worry when none Russian NHL stars start leaving I think.
What can they really do?

Top Bottom