• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Dang, this gen is going to be a complete opposite in terms of what systems people have.

I honestly don't want a PS4, it just doesn't really intrigue me exclusives wise or controller wise, Xbox One or my current awesome PC for me but I'm still in a wait and see approach. I'll get a PS4 down the road as a Naughty Dog Machine, pretty much what my PS3 is right now.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Expect a Paul Martin-esque comeback season from Fleury in 2013-2014!

I think the Pens may have to trade Letang. Word on the blogosphere is that he wants 5-8 years, no trade or movement clause, and 7-8 million a year. Way too much for a guy who coughs up the puck as much as he does. Pens could probably get a couple of solid replacement pieces for that kind of cash.

"Guys guys the Pens D is fine. We don't need our Norris nominee, he sucks anyway, we have a couple rookies coming up who'll pick up the slack easily!"

Alucard

Banned
"Guys guys the Pens D is fine. We don't need our Norris nominee, he sucks anyway, we have a couple rookies coming up who'll pick up the slack easily!"

If he wants 7-8 million, I say trade him. No way is he worth that. 5-6 million is conceivable, but probably on the lower end of that.

Smiley90

If he wants 7-8 million, I say trade him. No way is he worth that. 5-6 million is conceivable, but probably on the lower end of that.

And how are you gonna keep the puck out of your net if Crosby&Malkin don't score for 17Mio of cap space worth of players?

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins 5m
NEWS ALERT: #Pens have agreed to terms with forward Evgeni Malkin on an eight-year $76 million contract extension: http://pens.pe/12pwjMb

Jesus Christ. $9.5M cap hit.

I thought he was playing in the KHL?
And how are you gonna keep the puck out of your net if Crosby&Malkin don't score for 17Mio of cap space worth of players?

Same way we did the other years? It only increased 800k in salary... He went from 8.7 to 9.5. I'm not sure how it's now doom and gloom but before it wasn't.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Michael Del Zotto had surgery for ...something this morning. Wasn't any more specific than that.

So that's Callahan, Hagelin, and Del Zotto now that have all gone under the knife in the last couple weeks.

Don't know if you're being sarcastic or not but doesn't it have to do with the style of play that Torts had them playing?

I'm not sure, most of them were from shot blocking the last couple of years but hags and callahan were both shoulder injuries. I guess that would be bad luck or being physical?

Fei

Well, if you want to fairly measure his worth, let's look at the last five years of Norris finalists and their cap hit:

Chara $6.9, Weber $7.9, Karlsson $6.5, Lidstrom $6.2, Green $6.1, Doughty $7, Keith $5.5, Suter $7.5, Subban $2.9

That's an average of $6.3 with Subban or $6.7 without (since he's a RFA). Then take into account there are a some banned back-loaded contracts in there. Letang should get $7M easily.

Alucard

Banned
The idea that Letang should make more than Chara, Keith, and Lidstrom (pre-retirement) is hard to swallow. If they do pay him, he better damn well take it as a sign that he needs to step up and be more responsible.

Fei

Agreed, but Chara's contract runs until he's 41 and Keith's contract is 13 years (lol). Lidstrom took a paycut at the end because he was 41 or 42 I think. He was $7.5 before that (in 2010 dollars)

Letang is 26. He's entering his prime and he's going to be paid like it. Just like Perry and Getzlaf.

Alucard

Banned
Agreed, but Chara's contract runs until he's 41 and Keith's contract is 13 years (lol). Lidstrom took a paycut at the end because he was 41 or 42 I think. He was $7.5 before that (in 2010 dollars)

Letang is 26. He's entering his prime and he's going to be paid like it. Just like Perry and Getzlaf.

Then the Pens have two choices. They either lock him up now and overpay a bit, or let him walk at the end of next season and hope the Pens win a Cup with him. Not sure where his head is going to be if he's playing in the last year of his contract without a new deal already in place.

I don't even want to begin to imagine what Stamkos' agent is going to ask for in three years.

I would be shocked if he's not the highest paid athlete in the league when his contract hits. His age and amount of goals thus far is just beyond insane.

The idea that Letang should make more than Chara, Keith, and Lidstrom (pre-retirement) is hard to swallow. If they do pay him, he better damn well take it as a sign that he needs to step up and be more responsible.

I would have no reason to be mad at that contract if he would play better in the playoffs. That kind of salary to be a beast in the regular season but then be a detriment to your team in the playoffs kind of makes it hard to swallow. Dude has to wake the fuck up in the offseason if we're dropping that kind of money on him.

ZeroGravity

Anyone up for a good laugh?

First, I heard a rumor out of Canada on Monday (very good source) that the Leafs have offered two mid-level roster players and a package of draft picks for Tampa Bay’s 3rd selection overall and Vincent LeCavalier, who would then be bought out.

Not making it up—I wouldn’t pretend to know enough about either team to do so. Good source, take it for what it is.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/John-Jaeckel/More-Game-1-ThoughtsToronto-TB-Rumor/128/52094#.UboGrvk3v2Y

Alucard

Banned
I would have no reason to be mad at that contract if he would play better in the playoffs. That kind of salary to be a beast in the regular season but then be a detriment to your team in the playoffs kind of makes it hard to swallow. Dude has to wake the fuck up in the offseason if we're dropping that kind of money on him.

I agree about his needing to step it up more in the post-season. He was a bit better this year, but he has lost his shit far too often. Seems like a bit of a hothead at times, but I thought he was better at controlling himself during this playoff run.

Letang's problem is that he often tries to do too much. He thinks he's Bobby Orr, and he frequently leaves his position unmanned in an attempt to create offense. However, that's just the way he is. You have to take the good with the bad.

Montresor

Is there a post with all of NHL-GAF's 3DS/AC codes? I only have Socreges and Marvie on my list. My code is 3754-6216-4461

I'd really really love to visit some of you guys and grab some rare fruits. I've tried visiting my brother locally all day today and every we get an error that ends our session.... it's making visiting his town totally impossible.

Merguson

Banned
NOOOOOOOOOO NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN!
Im scared of trading picks after the past 10 years have taught us that its better to hang on to the first rounders and invest in better scouting.

We don't even know what kind of picks are involved.

But I don't really believe this anyways.

EDIT: I do see the Leafs attempting something like this. Get a good pick and buy out a bad contract for another team.

Let Komisarek's contract run out, it's only one year left. Save one compliance buyout for next year.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Bergevin re-signed Drewise for 2 years. The fuck.

I do not understand this at all, signing him is one thing, giving him two years for doing nothing is another. I can only see him in Hamilton, and even then their blueline is going to be crowded, and I'd rather the young guys get icetime.

Marvie_3

Banned
Is there a post with all of NHL-GAF's 3DS/AC codes? I only have Socreges and Marvie on my list. My code is 3754-6216-4461

There is now:

Code:
Acid         1478-3803-6229 
Forza        0044-2804-8530
Kave_Man     4313-0419-9714
Marvie       0301-9797-2166
Montresor    3754-6216-4461
Plinko       3351-4066-7234
Razorskin    4957-3039-0831
Samyy        3995-7790-7329
Sazabirules  0533-4881-4027
Smelly       3625-8108-8283
Socreges     0430-8422-7386
TUSR         1005-9272-0110
Var          3308-4726-4434
yankeehater  3823-9927-3255
I think this is all of them. I thought Smelly posted his too but I couldn't seem to find it.

I can get you some of the fruit you're missing later.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Del Zotto's surgery was for a sports hernia, recovery time of 4 weeks. I think he had the same thing in 2011 too.

I have a feeling we're going to get off to a shitty start next year. Bunch of guys either missing the start of the season or missing training camp or getting a late start on offseason training, not to mention I wouldn't be surprised if we're scheduled with a long run on the road to start the season like we were supposed to have this year due to the MSG renovation.

I agree about his needing to step it up more in the post-season. He was a bit better this year, but he has lost his shit far too often. Seems like a bit of a hothead at times, but I thought he was better at controlling himself during this playoff run.

Letang's problem is that he often tries to do too much. He thinks he's Bobby Orr, and he frequently leaves his position unmanned in an attempt to create offense. However, that's just the way he is. You have to take the good with the bad.

Ya, the beginning of the boston series though most of those goals were on him. Either not clearing in front of the net or not picking up his guy. He was better the second half of that series but the first half was beyond unacceptable. Especially with how well he can play.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure, most of them were from shot blocking the last couple of years but hags and callahan were both shoulder injuries. I guess that would be bad luck or being physical?

Not to mention Gaborik had the same surgery as both Callahan and Hagelin last year.

Callahan had a shoulder injury and missed a week or two in February or so, though, so I would guess that's when he suffered it, and that happened in a fight. I have no idea when Hagelin's injury happened or if it was just a built up thing over time.

Montresor

There is now:

Code:
I think this is all of them. I thought Smelly posted his too but I couldn't seem to find it.

Thanks a ton Marvie I'll add everyone right now. If I visit you I might hold off on taking any island fruits since I'm close to unlocking my island. I just need Apple, Peach, and Cherry. I will definitely take some jerseys if you have them up at Able's shop.

Does anyone know how to unlock the mail order catalog at Nookington's?????

Marvie_3

Banned
Thanks a ton Marvie I'll add everyone right now. If I visit you I might hold off on taking any island fruits since I'm close to unlocking my island. I just need Apple, Peach, and Cherry. I will definitely take some jerseys if you have them up at Able's shop.

Does anyone know how to unlock the mail order catalog at Nookington's?????

I only have 4 jerseys in Ables. I've made 8 so far:

-Blackhawks
-Canucks (stick in rink logo)
-Sharks
-Leafs
-Ducks (3rd)
-Kings
-Flames (3rd)
-Jets

You have to get Nook's to expand before the catalog unlocks.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Guess I'm in the minority in liking this.

Just based on just that little blurb I'd have no problem in making this move. Would have to wait and see what we're giving up exactly to see if it's as crazy as it could be.

But this would let us finally draft the Center we've been coveting since Sundin left. I'm assuming off of a quick look that would be either Monahan or Barkov unless Drouin plays some C?

Smiley90

There is now:

Code:

3625-8108-8283
Sucker.

Razorskin

----- ------
Guess I'm in the minority in liking this.

Just based on just that little blurb I'd have no problem in making this move. Would have to wait and see what we're giving up exactly to see if it's as crazy as it could be.

But this would let us finally draft the Center we've been coveting since Sundin left. I'm assuming off of a quick look that would be either Monahan or Barkov unless Drouin plays some C?

With the 3rd overall selection in this year's 2013 draft, the Maple Leafs are proud to select, from the London Knights, Max Domi.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Is PK more or less confirmed to win? Otherwise it will be embarrassing.
Kypreos is pretty solid, and remember PK did work with sportsnet during the lockout.
Bergevin re-signed Drewise for 2 years. The fuck.
This is weird. If its purely a depth signing then whatever, but if he takes a spot away from one of the kids ill be pissed.

Top Bottom