• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT2| The Teemu Selanne Sweepstakes

Marvie_3

Banned
bqmfblxcqaegr7a.jpglalok7g.jpg

60/1 to win the Cup? WHO LIVES IN VEGAS I NEED TO PAYPAL YOU SOME CASH.

Also, wow somebody was sure impressed as hell by the Blues signing of Jake Allen I guess.
Whoever made those odds has no idea what they're doing.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Best betting deal on that board, mhmmm. Blue Jackets at 40/1? Lightning at 60/1? Detroit and Blues have got to be the worst bets :lol

I think I might put some money down on the Flyers at 35/1, I will check the local sports books and see if they all have the same odds.

fallout

bqmfblxcqaegr7a.jpglalok7g.jpg

60/1 to win the Cup? WHO LIVES IN VEGAS I NEED TO PAYPAL YOU SOME CASH.

Also, wow somebody was sure impressed as hell by the Blues signing of Jake Allen I guess.
Sweet! We can use your winnings to finance the parade down Portage. =D

Samyy

This is making me want to play Civ 5 but I can't
A) Because I have no idea whats going on and
B) I have an essay to write dammit!

The Blues ranked 3rd overall? Wat?

The team that was 2 points shy of the President's Trophy in 2011/12? Yeah man, fuck that .

If our Goalies don't collectively shit themselves and half our forwards actually show up, I don't see why not.

Roy isn't Stastny, but if he lets us not force Berglund into 2C I don't really care. MPS hopefully gels with Berglund to make a consistent third line. Lapierre + Sobotka + CPR make for some fantastic options on the fourth. D is exactly where it needs to be as long as Jackman stays with Shatty. Tarasenko has a full offseason and training camp. Schwartz should keep improving and he looked great at the end of the season. No reason that this team isn't better than last year.

Stillman wouldn't be spending to the cap if he didn't think the window was open.

Socreges

Banned
Those odds are ridiculous.

Also, why play Civ 5 when you could be playing Crusader Kings 2 + Game of Thrones mod?
Never heard of Crusader Kings. Checked out a video (of the mod). Looks fairly boring? Does it test your brain or is mostly just OCD micro-management?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Never heard of Crusader Kings. Checked out a video (of the mod). Looks fairly boring? Does it test your brain or is mostly just OCD micro-management?

Wow you weren't kidding. I just saw a lot of nothing watching some gameplay videos.

The team that was 2 points shy of the President's Trophy in 2011/12? Yeah man, fuck that .

If our Goalies don't collectively shit themselves and half our forwards actually show up, I don't see why not.

Roy isn't Stastny, but if he lets us not force Berglund into 2C I don't really care. MPS hopefully gels with Berglund to make a consistent third line. Lapierre + Sobotka + CPR make for some fantastic options on the fourth. D is exactly where it needs to be as long as Jackman stays with Shatty. Tarasenko has a full offseason and training camp. Schwartz should keep improving and he looked great at the end of the season. No reason that this team isn't better than last year.

Stillman wouldn't be spending to the cap if he didn't think the window was open.

If we're making odds based on this stat then the Rangers should be better than the Blues...

ShaneB

It's okay it's a long weekend yay!

72 hours vanish just the same as 48 hours while playing Civ :(

This is making me want to play Civ 5 but I can't
A) Because I have no idea whats going on and
B) I have an essay to write dammit!

A) Just jump in and learn :) There are tutorial popups, and the game is quite passive on the beginner difficulties, so you get a hang of just building your Civ. B) uhhh, keep your priorities in check :)

To be fair, most Civ videos don't exactly make for a spectator sport either. That being said, yeah, the very brief time I played CK2 demo, it hurt my brain from just being more complex than I care for.

Spl1nter

As for Civ V, after your long weekend session, I want you to come here immediately and write down your regrets while they're still fresh.

I know tom chick is pretty controversial but he nails the issues with Civ and its following expansions. Although I cant comment on Brave New World. Not buying that at full price considering the debacle that is civ5. Still a good game for people new to 4x gameplay.

The paradox games such as CK2 are actually not that complex once you understand them.

Socreges

Banned
Not to mention the team that WON the president's trophy in 2011/12.
Blues have gotten better. The Canucks have not.

I know tom chick is pretty controversial but he nails the issues with Civ and its following expansions. Although I cant comment on Brave New World. Not buying that at full price considering the debacle that is civ5. Still a good game for people new to 4x gameplay.

The paradox games such as CK2 are actually not that complex once you understand them.
What's the debacle? What does he say?

If we're making odds based on this stat then the Rangers should be better than the Blues...

I don't give any more of a shit about the odds on some useless board than anyone else here, just the idea that the Blues as a WCF contender next year is some kind of insanity akin to the Jets winning the cup in 2013/14.

Spl1nter

Main thing is AI and diplomacy for me. But there are a number of other issues such as global happiness. The lead designer has even wrote about the mistakes made with civ5. Personally because of the AI and diplomacy the game is unplayable for me.

This is a good read but dont read it if you are still enjoying the game.
http://www.garath.net/Sullla/Civ5/whatwentwrong.html

I don't give any more of a shit about the odds on some useless board than anyone else here, just the idea that the Blues as a WCF contender next year is some kind of insanity akin to the Jets winning the cup in 2013/14.

All I'm saying is that if you want to talk about your teams prowess, don't use an example from 2 seasons ago. Doesn't mean much.

Smiley90

All I'm saying is that if you want to talk about your teams prowess, don't use an example from 2 seasons ago. Doesn't mean much.

That was my point too.

Also, I wouldn't call Civ 5 a "debacle" by a long shot. It's an amazing game with some flaws - but most great games have smaller flaws that are easily overlooked because the game itself is so good. (Same goes for e.g. Bioshock infinite and its flaws in combat)

I'm having a blast every time I play, that's what matters to me.

RC

Banned
I've had Civ4 sitting in my hardrive for years. And the furthest I've ever gotten was half way through the tutorial.

Sure it does when you're talking about the same core on a team that is young and has had siginificant improvements made to the roster at key areas of weakness from that season.

It's not like last season was normal by any stretch of the word.

I'm not comparing dicks with the Nucks and Rags.

Smiley90

Sure it does when you're talking about the same core on a team that is young and has had siginificant improvements made to the roster at key areas of weakness from that season.

It's not like last season was normal by any stretch of the word.

I'm not comparing dicks with the Nucks and Rags.

Saying "my team was near the top of the league during the regular season more than a year ago, so we're rightfully ranked 3rd likeliest to win the Stanley Cup" is all I have an issue with. I agree that they're more likely to win than the Nucks or Rangers, but a) regular season success 2 years ago means nothing, even with a similar core (the canucks' core is also still basically the same) and b) I'd argue other teams should be above the Blues (Bruins, Ducks come to mind).

I don't think anyone is picking the Rangers to win the cup next year because two years ago they won the East regular season. They have essentially the same core and more depth now as well.

Top Bottom