• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

zroid

Banned
Just kidding, nobody wants Clarkson.

I feel like New Jersey might take him back if we eat half the salary. I would make that trade in a heartbeat. Or we might be able to sucker Edmonton into something.

I hate Clarkson and what he was this year, but I'll wait to see if a new coach/new system gets him some more playing time/PP time and actually gets something out of him next year. Pretty much everything about Carlyle's coaching and tactics makes no sense.

I think that's fair although I really can't see new coaching improving his performance to the point where he's worth more than ~two thirds of his salary, at best. I'd rather free up his roster spot and half his cap hit for someone else any day.

edit: with that said, I doubt he's going anywhere this off-season unless Nonis is fired

Who do Leafs fans want as next coach? Short list? I have no idea who they should hire. I wouldn't mind a total trap system type of coach, keep the scores down, Kessel only scores 28 but Leafs win a lot more games.

If de Boer is available I wouldn't mind him. He might be the only coach in the league who can get any kind of meaningful production out of Clarkson.

yyzjohn

Banned
More and more they're saying the Shanahan thing will happen with Leafs. Either Nonis gets canned or he becomes a puppet GM.

Delryk

More and more they're saying the Shanahan thing will happen with Leafs. Either Nonis gets canned or he becomes a puppet GM.

The good thing i see with Shanahan is that he must have good relations with pretty much *all* teams right now..

Merguson

Banned

Seems that a good number of teams are moving towards that type of model where the President and GM works together.

McKenzie sort of compared it to LaFontaine situation. People were calling for Darcy Regier's head, then the Sabres brought in LaFontaine to basically calm people down.

Eventually LaFontaine replaced the GM after a period of time.

Probably a similar situation here depending on whether Shanahan (or anyone) and Nonis can work together.

yyzjohn

Banned
Seems that a good number of teams are moving towards that type of model where the President and GM works together.

McKenzie sort of compared it to LaFontaine situation. People were calling for Darcy Regier's head, then the Sabres brought in LaFontaine to basically calm people down.

Eventually LaFontaine replaced the GM after a period of time.

Probably a similar situation here depending on whether Shanahan (or anyone) and Nonis can work together.

Lafontaine isn't the best example, he quit after a few months. LOL

calder

april8ktu2y.png

6.2% or bust

#tanksohard

zroid

Banned
ElK0ips.png

Seeing stuff like this makes it hard for me not to say just nuke the entire roster.

For my own sanity I have to believe it's primarily the coaching to blame... fortunately for me the stats seem to agree. I would love to see Carlyle elaborate on what, specifically, he was trying to impart to his players, though. That would surely be illuminating.

Merguson

Banned
ElK0ips.png

Seeing stuff like this makes it hard for me not to say just nuke the entire roster.

For my own sanity I have to believe it's primarily the coaching to blame... fortunately for me the stats seem to agree. I would love to see Carlyle elaborate on what, specifically, he was trying to impart to his players, though. That would surely be illuminating.

Give Nonis a chance with a new coach. If the struggles continue, just clean house. We're talking 3 coaches with the same core, more or less. Running out of excuses for the players.

Samyy

Give Nonis a chance with a new coach. If the struggles continue, just clean house. We're talking 3 coaches with the same core, more or less. Running out of excuses for the players.
sFPAiUe.png

This upsets me greatly, Poulin is a fucking idiot based on his comments to the media. 100% guaranteed Bolland gets 5x8 if this clown stays.

Merguson

Banned
sFPAiUe.png

This upsets me greatly, Poulin is a fucking idiot based on his comments to the media. 100% guaranteed Bolland gets 5x8 if this clown stays.

There's also rumors of both Poulin and Loiselle being contacted for the Canucks/Flames GM job.

We'll have to wait and see.

ElK0ips.png

That quote is an amazing condemnation of the man's skills (and those of this staff) as a coach. You have a two week period to address an issue, and you make it worse.

Ugh at the idea of Poulin staying on board if Nonis is fired. Just bounce everyone in the org and move on.

zroid

Banned
That quote is an amazing condemnation of the man's skills (and those of this staff) as a coach. You have a two week period to address an issue, and you make it worse.

It's honestly reaching the point where I'm struggling to understand how he can possibly be that bad.

That's where my doubt comes from, lol.

Merguson

Banned
Poach all the Red Wings people in Front Office.

Could Mike Ilitch say no to Shanahan? Of course not. We'll take everyone. Except Holland and Babcock because those two are untouchable.

yyzjohn

Banned

Ugh at the idea of Poulin staying on board if Nonis is fired. Just bounce everyone in the org and move on.
Given what Leiweke did to the Raptors I expect a full spring cleaning on the Leafs. Poulin can join Burke and Nonis in Calgary.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

I think that the time hammered home that shit defensive style and prevented any other tendencies that might have helped. When a coach has no answers then you gotta change the players or the coach.

EDIT: GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahaha, Carlyle.

He thought that the players would have more 'compassion' than to drop a turd on MacIntyre's face in his first NHL start.

So now he's taken to blaming them too.

Just like those useless Ducks in Anaheim, right coach??

Socreges

Banned
april8ktu2y.png

6.2% or bust

#tanksohard
I got all excited, thinking the Canucks could actually catch and pass the Flames. But apparently we've beaten them handily in the season series, which would be the tiebreaker.

Then I got all sad, realising that the Canucks are that fucking bad that I thought for a moment that they could be worse than the Flames.

Top Bottom