• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Oilers writer is saying there were only 3 Edmonton players at Smyth's retirement function today? That's just wrong if true.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Someone has to replace your sarcastic snark for the playoffs, I'm just afraid that since I've been so active with the ignore button lately, the fruits of my labour will be spoiled.

Socreges

Banned
Apart from Nice Guys, Trie Hard, Love Watch Hockey Ducks-Age, everyone here is a sarcastic fuckhead. And I say that with great affection.

yyzjohn

Banned
Carlyle told Shanahan to fold his clothes and fetch the tv remote. Maybe Shanahan holds long-term grudges?

Randy_Carlyle_0410_NP-600x320.jpg

Hey Shanny, remember those compromising pics I took of you?? Oh yeah I still got em!

Erdrick

The first thing I want the Jets to do is to get rid of Setoguchi. As in don't even think of offering him anything. People can go on about how disappointing Ondrej Pavelec's season was (Which it rightfully was.) but Setoguchi was absolutely atrocious for us and I really wish we hadn't wasted a draft pick on him last July. See Eric Fehr 2011-12 and Olli Jokinen in the shortened 12/13 season last year for other examples of busts. Difference with Jokinen though was I could see he actually gave a damn and was angry at himself for his admitted poor play. He manned up this year and played much better for us. I'd be on for resigning him (For sure as hell much less than 4.5 Million a year though.)

Pavelec... I like him, I really do. I just wish he was *better*. I could see him being bought out. Whether or not that's a good thing, would remain to be seen.

I also wish the media would just shut up regarding Evander Kane. Saying stuff like his career with the Jets is beyond repair is simply hyperbole and it does nothing good except stir the pot for said media who say such things. I don't want him to leave this team. He's one of the most exciting players in the league to watch and to give up on him would be a costly mistake.

Wasn't all bad for us this year though. Montoya played great and hopefully has earned a raise and another contract with us. This other goalie, Hutchinson who played the last 3 games with us, also played quite well, considering. Awesome for him to have started the year in the ECHL, then to the AHL and to make it to the NHL by the end.

Bryan Little, Andrew Ladd, Blake Wheeler, all had good seasons and I am happy with the core of this team. Byfuglien being moved to forward worked much better for us, and Enstrom played with no injuries this year.

Michael Frolik (Who has been great for us, thanks Blackhawks.) was a good addition for us, and his solid defensive play with some decent point production was a nice surprise. (I had hoped Setoguchi could have really helped with scoring but again, he was an utter failure for us in my view.

Mark Scheifele and Jacob Trouba had very solid first NHL seasons. Had Trouba not missed a bunch of games, I like to wonder that he would have been higher up on the Calder nominee list. Scheifele finally made it on the squad after 2 previous years of trying, and dare I say it, he was already going high up on our depth chart for C's. Just look at how the team played after he got hurt. As soon as we lost him, the team lost all momentum. Not saying that it was just because of his loss, but it was very much something that did affect the rest of the team. I'm very, very excited to see them play next year. Hopefully Josh Morrissey and Nic Petan can make the team in a few years and I can see how they will all mesh. Bright future for those kids, for sure.

Paul Maurice did a great job for the team in the short time he has been here. I do hope he decides to stay, as I've grown much more fond of his responses to the media after games as opposed to Claude Noel. If he goes... Maybe the Jets should go for Dale Hawerchuk? Summer will be interesting...

Erdrick

I think Reimer will be a Jet next season.

No.

Why does everyone keep saying this? Just because he's from Manitoba? I don't want him. I don't see him as any better than Pavelec. Nothing against the guy personally, just anytime I've seen him play i.e. against the Jets, he has looked atrocious. Given how your season turned out, it seems like he didin't play much better against other teams, either. Or am I wrong? Was it the defence in front of him who left him out to dry? Other reasons?

zroid

Banned
Basically, Reimer wants to be a #1 or at least a #1A/B goalie. He's not going to get that in Toronto, however well he plays. I don't know if he's better or worse than Pavelec, although from what I've heard, I think he is better statistically, at least. Winnipeg probably wants a new goalie; Reimer has maintained that he wants to be a Leaf, but it's better for his career to go elsewhere and since the Jets are his home team it seems a very likely destination.

No.

Why does everyone keep saying this? Just because he's from Manitoba?

Because Winnipeg's biggest problem is probably in the goalie position, and he's a good young goaltender. If you look at the UFA goalies, the only guys available that would be as much of an upgrade are Halak and Hiller. And both those guys are going to cost *a lot* more than a 25 year old RFA will.

I don't want him. I don't see him as any better than Pavelec. Nothing against the guy personally, just anytime I've seen him play i.e. against the Jets, he has looked atrocious. Given how your season turned out, it seems like he didin't play much better against other teams, either. Or am I wrong? Was it the defence in front of him who left him out to dry? Other reasons?

In terms of numbers, Reimer's bad years = Pavelec's good years.

This season he was average at the same time the players in front of him were awful. Same thing happened to Bernier after he came back from injury.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight, I'm on Team Cakeboss! BE BAD FOR EKBLAD!

Fuck all youse who are 'playing for pride' and 'want to keep the streak against the Sens'. I'm about the future now and ANYTHING we can do to increase our chances to get a higher pick or a 1st overall is fine by me.

Hopefully this is the last time Carlyle coaches the Leafs. And maybe the last time this front office is in charge too.

#accountability

zroid

Banned
I read somewhere that Shanny might be looking to bring analytics into the Leafs organization to some extent. I don't necessarily think they should treat it as gospel, but certainly taking it more seriously than the off-hand rejection of the concept by Carlyle and co. will be an improvement.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I read somewhere that Shanny might be looking to bring analytics into the Leafs organization to some extent. I don't necessarily think they should treat it as gospel, but certainly taking it more seriously than the off-hand rejection of the concept by Carlyle and co. will be an improvement.

What do Manics' sources say?

Erdrick

Basically, Reimer wants to be a #1 or at least a #1A/B goalie. He's not going to get that in Toronto, however well he plays. I don't know if he's better or worse than Pavelec, although from what I've heard, I think he is better statistically, at least. Winnipeg probably wants a new goalie; Reimer has maintained that he wants to be a Leaf, but it's better for his career to go elsewhere and since the Jets are his home team it seems a very likely destination.

Because Winnipeg's biggest problem is probably in the goalie position, and he's a good young goaltender. If you look at the UFA goalies, the only guys available that would be as much of an upgrade are Halak and Hiller. And both those guys are going to cost *a lot* more than a 25 year old RFA will.

In terms of numbers, Reimer's bad years = Pavelec's good years.

This season he was average at the same time the players in front of him were awful. Same thing happened to Bernier after he came back from injury.

Good to know. Thanks guys. I don't know too much about the finer details of the Leafs.

Top Bottom