• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Poach all the Red Wings people in Front Office.

Could Mike Ilitch say no to Shanahan? Of course not. We'll take everyone. Except Holland and Babcock because those two are untouchable.

You don't need our front office, you need Dan Cleary for that veteran leadership, he can lead you to the playoffs from the press box!

Montresor

I hope Nonis and the entire GM staff gets fired. Especially that fucktard Claude Loiselle. He is supposed to be a salary cap genius, and all he seems to do is overpay players. Just clean house. Fire the entire coaching staff too, and maybe the director of scouting.

I feel really crappy as a Leafs fan. It's been three years in a row of epic collapses. This organization (management staff, coaching, and players) cannot do anything when under pressure. Look at Boston and Montreal, two of our biggest rivals, doing extremely well. Montreal has two Canadian olympians (Subban/Price) and they actually made a decent trade deadline deal (Vanek) and their players seem to love each other. Montreal makes the playoffs every fucking year, minus the year they got Galchenyuk. =/ Boston is once again a juggernaut... Makes me sad to see TML fail so spectacularly...'

Fuck this team.

yyzjohn

Banned
I hope Nonis and the entire GM staff gets fired. Especially that fucktard Claude Loiselle. He is supposed to be a salary cap genius, and all he seems to do is overpay players. Just clean house. Fire the entire coaching staff too, and maybe the director of scouting.

I feel really crappy as a Leafs fan. It's been three years in a row of epic collapses. This organization (management staff, coaching, and players) cannot do anything when under pressure. Look at Boston and Montreal, two of our biggest rivals, doing extremely well. Montreal has two Canadian olympians (Subban/Price) and they actually made a decent trade deadline deal (Vanek) and their players seem to love each other. Montreal makes the playoffs every fucking year, minus the year they got Galchenyuk. =/ Boston is once again a juggernaut... Makes me sad to see TML fail so spectacularly...'

Fuck this team.

Rumors are Nonis is staying, Shanahan's job is more upper level stuff and they'll let Nonis run the team. The coaching staff is gone though.

gaming_noob

Fuck this team.

While they're at it, get rid of some of the players. There's obviously a conflict of interest when you have two different coaches saying they couldn't instill their system onto the team. Your best player should be the captain but Kessel is not the outspoken type. Meanwhile you have a blockhead as your captain. It's probably creating an indifference in the locker room. Get rid of one of them.

Montresor

While they're at it, get rid of some of the players. There's obviously a conflict of interest when you have two different coaches saying they couldn't instill their system onto the team. Your best player should be the captain but Kessel is not the outspoken type. Meanwhile you have a blockhead as your captain. It's probably creating an indifference in the locker room. Get rid of one of them.

I think Phaneuf has now been exposed as a shitstain of a captain and an overpaid _asshole_. We get rid of Phaneuf, not Kessel.

Kessel is far from the problem. He is one of the best players in the league and Leafs are lucky to have him.

Rumors are Nonis is staying, Shanahan's job is more upper level stuff and they'll let Nonis run the team. The coaching staff is gone though.

I hope those rumours are wrong. Nonis is an incompetent GM. I can't believe I ever defended and felt excited about the Clarkson signing. Thing is, I'm not being paid millions of dollars to manage the Leafs.

...I hope Cleary comes back in time for the playoffs. :mad:

Sad thing is that he keeps talking like he wants to and is shooting for, but like he has a roster spot now. Glendening is Babs new Cleary (and a much better one in terms of defense and energy) and there really isn't anyone else he could fill in for since everyone else is completely outplaying what he could even do. His time as a Wing I can say with 99% certainty is done.

Stet

Banned

Nah, I don't agree that your captain has to be your best player. Your captain should be the player that has leadership. Neither of them have that, mind you, but I'm fine with Kessel being the silent type and just being there to play.

It's so strange how it took me so long to see how utterly shit Carlyle is. Even up to his firing I didn't see any reason that he was apart of it.

Then again, advanced analytics never even came to Californias teams until Leafs bloggers started adapting them.

Goddamn trendsetters in the field they are.

Stet

Banned
Leafs are gonna Shannaban the league.

Who replaces him as Displincary Bad Guy?

Sean Avery.

"On October 5th, 2014, in a game versus the Minnesota Wild...*video starts playing* look at this fuckin' guy, he's minding his own business and then WHAM out of nowhere Cooke fuckin' nails him in the head. *replay* ha ha ha look at him flop around. Fuckin' pussy. No suspension or anything, I just wanted to show you this because it's fuckin' hilarious."

calder

I still <3 you.

At least until the Jets become competitive in the Central.

Friends forever then. :(

Randy Carlyle is a great coach who teaches a fantastic, highly successful defensive system. Oh wait, you *do* have two first ballot HOF defensemen at their peak on your blueline right? And your #3 dman would be the #1 on 25 other teams, right? No? Oh shit. Uh well, you at least have a surprisingly deep corps of forwards, with a couple of young all-star talents and a few highly effective veterans? You don't have that either huh... you know what, nevermind, Randy might not be the coach for you after all sorry.

Twitter is telling me that Peter de Boer and Shanahan have a 'connection'.

And apparently de Boer has some kind of relationship with Kadri.

I could see this going down.

Samyy

Apparently every decision will go past Shanahans desk now too, thank god.

Merguson

Banned

Don't know what to think of it.

It's kind of the opposite spectrum of the whole advanced statistics thing too. The Devils apparently are one of the best possession teams.

EDIT: What if DeBoer to Toronto, and Carlyle to New Jersey? I would love to see how it plays out, lol.

Samyy

Don't know what to think of it.

It's kind of the opposite spectrum of the whole advanced statistics thing too. The Devils apparently are one of the best possession teams.

EDIT: What if DeBoer to Toronto, and Carlyle to New Jersey? I would love to see how it plays out, lol.

Yes but the Devils have zero offence, like none at all, outside of Jagr.
Not a whole lot of good possession will do if you can't put it in the net.

Samyy

Might be a good fit for the Leafs then. Offence has not really been an issue.

But our players are not really the greatest possession players, is this something you can teach? I have no idea. Anyone is better then Carlyle right now then. My only expectation is that they bring in someone who works well with young players - need to fix the damage caused by Carlyles rampage.

zroid

Banned
But our players are not really the greatest possession players, is this something you can teach? I have no idea. Anyone is better then Carlyle right now then. My only expectation is that they bring in someone who works well with young players - need to fix the damage caused by Carlyles rampage.

Well that's the thing, a good start would be having a possession-oriented coach to see what we have to work with here.

Samyy

Well that's the thing, a good start would be having a possession-oriented coach to see what we have to work with here.

Yep, in my eyes as long as we move on from Carlyle I'll have no complaints. We try that possession game, it doesn't work then we know its a personnel issue and we end up with a good draft pick in the McDavid year, a crazy deep draft, if it works out then we get in the playoffs.

Win, win!

yyzjohn

Banned
Seems crazy to me for them to let him go. They only missed the playoffs because of shootouts and don't exactly have an amazing roster.

They have no choice if he wants to leave. His contract is up, it's not like a player where you hold his rights as an RFA or something, once the contract is up he doesn't have to sign another one even if they want to keep him. Hopefully he wants to come to the Leafs.

Merguson

Banned

Well, for starters.

Clarkson has a 42.7% possession number this year. Pretty bad right?

Last year, Clarkson had a 61.2% possession number, and the year before that was 51.1%. The 51.1% is more realistic but still much better than his current year. That's just one example so there's zero guarantees of him or the overall team improving dramatically.

Can't be any worse though.... can it?

Well, for starters.

Clarkson has a 42.7% possession number this year. Pretty bad right?

Last year, Clarkson had a 61.2% possession number, and the year before that was 51.1%. The 51.1% is more realistic but still much better than his current year. That's just one example so there's zero guarantees of him or the overall team improving dramatically.

Can't be any worse though.... can it?

It's the Leafs.

calder

By FAR the best/funniest thing about Clarkson's deal to me is the fact his agent threw language into it about the bonuses specifically to prevent a buyout. So awesome that his agent was like "damn I better put in a no take-backsies clause because this contract is fucking poison!"

yyzjohn

Banned
By FAR the best/funniest thing about Clarkson's deal to me is the fact his agent threw language into it about the bonuses specifically to prevent a buyout. So awesome that his agent was like "damn I better put in a no take-backsies clause because this contract is fucking poison!"

I bet the future of contracts will be like that. All players want to be able to protect themselves from buyouts and losing money.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
You avatar is amazing :lol :lol

I could see this really working out for the Leafs, and Clarkson. If they don't adapt under him then you know you have to move some of the players.

Top Bottom