• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Leafs went 2-12-0 in their last 14 games of the season.

But no, Carlyle shouldn't be fired.

antique_moon_face+cleaned.gif

Samyy

Disappointing thing is that the centres and D in this draft are relatively weak, seems like most of the top 10 talent are wingers, not what we really need...

Disappointing thing is that the centres and D in this draft are relatively weak, seems like most of the top 10 talent are wingers, not what we really need...

The first round this year isn't anything special. Especially the top half. But the rest of the draft 2nd round and beyond is really deep.

The first thing I want the Jets to do is to get rid of Setoguchi. As in don't even think of offering him anything. People can go on about how disappointing Ondrej Pavelec's season was (Which it rightfully was.) but Setoguchi was absolutely atrocious for us and I really wish we hadn't wasted a draft pick on him last July. See Eric Fehr 2011-12 and Olli Jokinen in the shortened 12/13 season last year for other examples of busts. Difference with Jokinen though was I could see he actually gave a damn and was angry at himself for his admitted poor play. He manned up this year and played much better for us. I'd be on for resigning him (For sure as hell much less than 4.5 Million a year though.)

Pavelec... I like him, I really do. I just wish he was *better*. I could see him being bought out. Whether or not that's a good thing, would remain to be seen.

I also wish the media would just shut up regarding Evander Kane. Saying stuff like his career with the Jets is beyond repair is simply hyperbole and it does nothing good except stir the pot for said media who say such things. I don't want him to leave this team. He's one of the most exciting players in the league to watch and to give up on him would be a costly mistake.

Wasn't all bad for us this year though. Montoya played great and hopefully has earned a raise and another contract with us. This other goalie, Hutchinson who played the last 3 games with us, also played quite well, considering. Awesome for him to have started the year in the ECHL, then to the AHL and to make it to the NHL by the end.

Bryan Little, Andrew Ladd, Blake Wheeler, all had good seasons and I am happy with the core of this team. Byfuglien being moved to forward worked much better for us, and Enstrom played with no injuries this year.

Michael Frolik (Who has been great for us, thanks Blackhawks.) was a good addition for us, and his solid defensive play with some decent point production was a nice surprise. (I had hoped Setoguchi could have really helped with scoring but again, he was an utter failure for us in my view.

Mark Scheifele and Jacob Trouba had very solid first NHL seasons. Had Trouba not missed a bunch of games, I like to wonder that he would have been higher up on the Calder nominee list. Scheifele finally made it on the squad after 2 previous years of trying, and dare I say it, he was already going high up on our depth chart for C's. Just look at how the team played after he got hurt. As soon as we lost him, the team lost all momentum. Not saying that it was just because of his loss, but it was very much something that did affect the rest of the team. I'm very, very excited to see them play next year. Hopefully Josh Morrissey and Nic Petan can make the team in a few years and I can see how they will all mesh. Bright future for those kids, for sure.

Paul Maurice did a great job for the team in the short time he has been here. I do hope he decides to stay, as I've grown much more fond of his responses to the media after games as opposed to Claude Noel. If he goes... Maybe the Jets should go for Dale Hawerchuk? Summer will be interesting...

So....you're trading Byfuglien to us, right?

calder

The first thing I want the Jets to do is to get rid of Setoguchi. As in don't even think of offering him anything. People can go on about how disappointing Ondrej Pavelec's season was (Which it rightfully was.) but Setoguchi was absolutely atrocious for us and I really wish we hadn't wasted a draft pick on him last July. See Eric Fehr 2011-12 and Olli Jokinen in the shortened 12/13 season last year for other examples of busts. Difference with Jokinen though was I could see he actually gave a damn and was angry at himself for his admitted poor play. He manned up this year and played much better for us. I'd be on for resigning him (For sure as hell much less than 4.5 Million a year though.)

Pavelec... I like him, I really do. I just wish he was *better*. I could see him being bought out. Whether or not that's a good thing, would remain to be seen.

I also wish the media would just shut up regarding Evander Kane. Saying stuff like his career with the Jets is beyond repair is simply hyperbole and it does nothing good except stir the pot for said media who say such things. I don't want him to leave this team. He's one of the most exciting players in the league to watch and to give up on him would be a costly mistake.

Wasn't all bad for us this year though. Montoya played great and hopefully has earned a raise and another contract with us. This other goalie, Hutchinson who played the last 3 games with us, also played quite well, considering. Awesome for him to have started the year in the ECHL, then to the AHL and to make it to the NHL by the end.

Bryan Little, Andrew Ladd, Blake Wheeler, all had good seasons and I am happy with the core of this team. Byfuglien being moved to forward worked much better for us, and Enstrom played with no injuries this year.

Michael Frolik (Who has been great for us, thanks Blackhawks.) was a good addition for us, and his solid defensive play with some decent point production was a nice surprise. (I had hoped Setoguchi could have really helped with scoring but again, he was an utter failure for us in my view.

Mark Scheifele and Jacob Trouba had very solid first NHL seasons. Had Trouba not missed a bunch of games, I like to wonder that he would have been higher up on the Calder nominee list. Scheifele finally made it on the squad after 2 previous years of trying, and dare I say it, he was already going high up on our depth chart for C's. Just look at how the team played after he got hurt. As soon as we lost him, the team lost all momentum. Not saying that it was just because of his loss, but it was very much something that did affect the rest of the team. I'm very, very excited to see them play next year. Hopefully Josh Morrissey and Nic Petan can make the team in a few years and I can see how they will all mesh. Bright future for those kids, for sure.

Paul Maurice did a great job for the team in the short time he has been here. I do hope he decides to stay, as I've grown much more fond of his responses to the media after games as opposed to Claude Noel. If he goes... Maybe the Jets should go for Dale Hawerchuk? Summer will be interesting...

Almost too much to unpack. I agree with most of your points, especially about Kane and Seto/Jokinen. I'm less bullish on Joker though, I thought he was pretty damn effective this year but to come back he'd have to take at least 1.5 mil less and for a max of two years and I can't see that happening.

Oh, and I half agree with you about Reimer - I disagree in that I think he's a solid upgrade on Pavelec no matter what but I agree that I'm not frothing at the bit to get him or anything. I think there is likely cheaper backups out there with as much upside as Reimer, and I'd actually like to take a chance on the best available backup who looks like he's ready to maybe start, a guy a bit cheaper than Reimer would be in trade cost and payroll. Mainly, I want to see if Hutchinson looks NHL ready at training camp, the Jets have some really interesting goalie prospects coming along and they only need one of them to pan out.

Main thing though, Pavelec HAS to be gone. It's a shame since he's clearly a really nice guy and well liked by his teammates as a man, but he's just awful at his job sadly. Even if you didn't know anything about him you'd be able to tell he was a good locker room presence simply by the fact he's a starter in the NHL with stats that show he shouldn't be in the league at all - if he was a raging asshole he'd have been out of the league years ago. But he's a nice guy and had some real success in junior and the "top prospect" label sticks to guys for a LOOOOONG time unless they alienate their clubs by being dipshits.

Socreges

Banned
Somehow I managed to miss that this Dane Fox kid has 64 goals in 67 games. I know he's already 20 and skated with some great playmakers but shit...

I'm guessing he'll just play with Utica next season?

Got to see some more McDavid while watching Fox highlights. Canucks need to tank HARD next season. Trade Kesler, trade Edler, trade everyone. I'll gladly suffer a horrible season if it means a first overall pick.

I know Linden won't allow it, though. Pretty obvious this organization is focused on fan and ticket season holder retention which means they have to at least appear to be trying to succeed each season.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It'll be interesting to see how the shitty teams are managed next year, it will be really tempting to intentionally tank for him. He could turn a franchise around.

Erdrick

So....you're trading Byfuglien to us, right?

As popular as it is with some people to say he should be traded from the Jets, I'm not one of those people. Love having him on the team, esp since he has moved to a forward position and is much less a liability on defence.

No, Byfuglien for Reimer & Phaneuf.

I thought it was bad when people said Reimer was coming here, but you've somehow made it worse. Maybe you want to throw in that overpaid Clarkson kid too? Y'know, the one who had about the same production of Chris Thorburn on the Jets? Who also gets paid about $860 000 a year as opposed to however millions your player makes? =P

Almost too much to unpack. I agree with most of your points, especially about Kane and Seto/Jokinen. I'm less bullish on Joker though, I thought he was pretty damn effective this year but to come back he'd have to take at least 1.5 mil less and for a max of two years and I can't see that happening.

Oh, and I half agree with you about Reimer - I disagree in that I think he's a solid upgrade on Pavelec no matter what but I agree that I'm not frothing at the bit to get him or anything. I think there is likely cheaper backups out there with as much upside as Reimer, and I'd actually like to take a chance on the best available backup who looks like he's ready to maybe start, a guy a bit cheaper than Reimer would be in trade cost and payroll. Mainly, I want to see if Hutchinson looks NHL ready at training camp, the Jets have some really interesting goalie prospects coming along and they only need one of them to pan out.

Main thing though, Pavelec HAS to be gone. It's a shame since he's clearly a really nice guy and well liked by his teammates as a man, but he's just awful at his job sadly. Even if you didn't know anything about him you'd be able to tell he was a good locker room presence simply by the fact he's a starter in the NHL with stats that show he shouldn't be in the league at all - if he was a raging asshole he'd have been out of the league years ago. But he's a nice guy and had some real success in junior and the "top prospect" label sticks to guys for a LOOOOONG time unless they alienate their clubs by being dipshits.

I'd be fine with Montoya/Hutchinson/Pasquale as a goalie trio, to be honest. It'd free up a lot of cap space to get some real offence. I think we are really set for defence, esp if Morrissey somehow makes the team next year (I don't expect this.) Really need better forwards as opposed to guys like James "I can't score to save my life" Wright. When Pavelec has as many assists as you (Or more, I haven't checked lately.) you know it's bad.

Oh, and I just want to remind Quick that the Jets finished higher in the overall standings than the Leafs, according to NHL.com. =)

zroid

Banned
The only thing dumber than signing Clarkson to his current contract would be trading for him after the year he's had. That's why Edmonton is our only hope. :U

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Lamorielle told the media that DeBoer is under contract for 2014-2015 and will be coaching then as well.

yyzjohn

Banned
Who said he was injured?

He had a groin issue, was iffy for that LA game and eventually had to leave.

Also, I like how Mirtle neglects their respective win/loss records after Olympic break.

Reimer 2-10-0
Bernier 4-3-2

Reimer also upped his save % in the last 2 meaningless games he played when the season was already lost. Lots of saves against Tampa and last night's meaningless swan song. Look at Reimer's numbers when Bernier was out and he was the #1 with the season on his shoulders.

Merguson

Banned
DeBoer is staying with the Devils so I guess the Leafs will stick with Carlyle.

EDIT: Looks like a 4th year might have been a mutual or club option. Either way, he's staying.

DeBoer is staying with the Devils so I guess the Leafs will stick with Carlyle.

EDIT: Looks like a 4th year might have been a mutual or club option. Either way, he's staying.

Uh-oh. This means we might get mini-Carlyle Kiven Dineen as new h/c.

This org. is farked beyond belief.

Top Bottom