• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Nick Ritchie highlights

He seems good if he can be motivated to run over people and just go to the net.

451177906_slide.jpg

He better be good and not remind me of Evgeny Artyukhin

iLLmAtlc

Not really happy with Kesler return tbh, not a single blue chipper in return. it was within the division too ffs!

I was legit shook by James Neal trade tbh. Also thought Pits could have gotten more for him. Maybe his rep around the league is pretty much product of Malkin?

You guys think a Kesler for Neal trade straight up was discussed? Wonder if it's true Chicago + Anaheim were the only teams on the list, or maybe Vancouver was on Neal's no trade list

Wild need to strengthen their prospect pool down the middle and in net.

Top LWs at this point include Zucker and Lucia, two solid options. Defense has Dumba and Olofsson. RW has Tuch and Gabriel. Goalie has Kuemper and Gustavsson, while center mainly only has Phillips - and he's not looking too good.

I would love to pick up a big playmaker in the 2nd but that would mean trading up. A guy like MacInnis in the early 2nd, or Eric Cornel or Brayden Point in the mid-to-late 2nd.

Then of course draft a token Minnesotan or two with Snuggerud in the 3rd and Yon in the 7th.

After the Tyler Biggs fiasco, there's something just off about dudes his size playing in the minors. It must be so easy for scouts to unconsciously overrate them.

When some guys are having a hard time getting to 200 points on a 6'3" wiry frame there's this guy eating them.

He's definitely got a size advantage. Maybe he's got the mind of a 12 year old though. If so, just tell him there's a cookie for every goal.

I like how Murray just comes out and says what shit he tried to do. No vague "we tried to make deals but nothing solid materialized."

There’s just no pretense with the guy. He told reporters flat-out he offered all three of today’s second-round picks to seven teams to get back into the first round. Imagine the buzz that kind of move would have made. He said he hopes someone overpays him for pick No. 31, today’s opening pick in the second round.

And that stone cold face.

436913_1403912500898.jpg

Acid08

Banned
BrMPawkCYAAS3yx.jpg

Goaldobin with The Professor. Been reading a lot about him, sounds like a great kid. Lots of speed and skill while being solid defensively. Not sure if I'd expect him to grab a spot at camp but maybe in 15-16.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Its kinda cool how nylander has two distinct playstyles

When he's drifting he looks a lot like patrick kane but when he's in flight he looks kinda like forsberg

And when the leafs are done "developing" him he'll probably play like tie domi

Acid08

Banned
Shovel Knight is really fun. Everyone is saying how easy it is but the phantom boss killed me like 5 times until I got the fight pattern down -_-

Socreges

Banned
Shovel Knight is really fun. Everyone is saying how easy it is but the phantom boss killed me like 5 times until I got the fight pattern down -_-
Everyone or just those that want their Internet peers to know how h-core they are? Seems like a tough game by its own right, but other similar vintage games (eg, I Wanna Be The Guy, Super Meat Boy) are normally extremely difficult so people exaggerate in relative terms.

He better be good and not remind me of Evgeny Artyukhin

That name. Shudder.

And judging purely by that brief but concise highlights vid, we've already got someone that Artyukhin is not - skillful. He made some very precise shots there.

Yeah he's a big boy, but so are a lot of power forwards. That's why they're power forwards.

When some guys are having a hard time getting to 200 points on a 6'3" wiry frame there's this guy eating them.

He's definitely got a size advantage. Maybe he's got the mind of a 12 year old though. If so, just tell him there's a cookie for every goal.

Or even worse if he has the emotional maturity of Hodor. Cracking under pressure and panicking while making stupid decisions.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Reading up on Scherbak some more this morning, and he really seems like a bigger Galchenyuk-lite. Timmins said he's 6'2 and still growing. Here's an excerpt from a scout who used to scout for the Habs and is very close to Timmins now from about a month ago on the kid:

You think Goldobin and Ho Sang have more "home-run" potential than Scherbak? He's the one that's 6-2..and also has amazing lateral moves. First year in North America he puts up 78 points on a team with no supporting offensive talent at all. Very creative, quick, excellent vision and hands. One scout I talked to says he thinks he may play in the NHL next season, and even compared him to Galchenyuk. His exact phrase concerning him was that "he could be a home run."

Scherbak is the real wild card of this draft I think. If he's there at 26...I'd be quite happy if the Habs took him..and I don't often say that about a Russian player.

Not expecting him in the NHL for a few years, but he can go straight to Hamilton next year I believe, which is awesome. Also, Bergevin said that if he was taken by their pick he was ready to trade down, which I assume was why he was discussing so much with Murry and others before their pick.

Curufinwe

It's really unfortunate how Canadian kids who aren't good enough to play in the NHL right away are forced to spend two years in the CHL when they would be better off spending at least one of them in the AHL.

Seems like Sanheim was a Penguins fan who had some harsh things to say about Brayden Schenn during the playoffs two years ago. Pretty funny.

BrMPn-rCEAEIF_M.jpg

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It's really unfortunate how Canadian kids who aren't good enough to play in the NHL right away are forced to spend two years in the CHL when they would be better off spending at least one of them in the AHL.
The CHL as a whole is pretty backwards, they're so concerned with losing players that it impairs players development.

Curufinwe

Yeah, Morin is a better prospect than Hagg but Hagg may well jump ahead of him in terms of getting to the NHL by being able to play a full season in the AHL this season.

yyzjohn

Banned
After the Tyler Biggs fiasco, there's something just off about dudes his size playing in the minors. It must be so easy for scouts to unconsciously overrate them.

Biggs was a pick in the 20s so he was a project to begin with, guys ranked in the top 10 should have a better chance of making it.

Sadly the #305,Worldwide Chico DALÉ Headquarters burned down last night attempting to build a 40ft scale model of Ekblad's hair. Who knew Kodaks don't put out fires.

If the Sabers take Barber. (I think they will) I'm hoping for Lemieux. We don't have real pest player like him. Plus he's Ekblad's BFF.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Reading up on Scherbak some more this morning, and he really seems like a bigger Galchenyuk-lite. Timmins said he's 6'2 and still growing. Here's an excerpt from a scout who used to scout for the Habs and is very close to Timmins now from about a month ago on the kid:

Not expecting him in the NHL for a few years, but he can go straight to Hamilton next year I believe, which is awesome. Also, Bergevin said that if he was taken by their pick he was ready to trade down, which I assume was why he was discussing so much with Murry and others before their pick.

Mmmm Red Man giving me my daily dose of Habs optimism. That's what's up.

Top Bottom