• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
We save a little bit of salary too.

I'll do the wait and see approach.

So you will take the wait and see approach....

You do realize he was the only defenseman that was able to consistently play defense, yes?

Either we are trading phaneuf or buying him out because i do NOT want to go through a whole year of him without gunnarsson saving his ass

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Which league? SEL? KHL? NHL? AHL? OHL? ALL THE LEAGUES?

everyone.gif

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Looks like this is the D next year:

Phaneuf-Boyle
Gardiner-Franson
Rielly-Polak

I guess Gleason has to fit in there somewhere too.

*puke*
Boyle isn't wasting time on a non-contender, so you can just slot Gleason into that top spot.

Merguson

Banned
So you will take the wait and see approach....

You do realize he was the only defenseman that was able to consistently play defense, yes?

Either we are trading phaneuf or buying him out because i do NOT want to go through a whole year of him without gunnarsson saving his ass

Don't be mad because we exceeded the swedish quota.

Boyle isn't wasting time on a non-contender, so you can just slot Gleason into that top spot.

I never believe NHL players when they say that shit.

Guys like Parise were talking about wanting to play for contenders but where do he end up signing? A team that missed the playoffs four times in a row.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I never believe NHL players when they say that shit.

Guys like Parise were talking about wanting to play for contenders but where do he end up signing? A team that missed the playoffs four times in a row.
Those are two very different scenarios, Dan Boyle is at the end of his career and wants a final chance, Parise is a younger guy who went to a very promising team, with a lot of upside. I don't think he expected a cup in the first 2-3 years. If Boyle is looking for a 2 year contract, why would he want to sign with the Leafs? They aren't even a lock for the playoffs in the next two years.

Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals.

AUSTRALIA HAS A FUCKING NHL DRAFTEE MOTHERFUCKERS!

Merguson

Banned
Those are two very different scenarios, Dan Boyle is at the end of his career and wants a final chance, Parise is a younger guy who went to a very promising team, with a lot of upside. I don't think he expected a cup in the first 2-3 years. If Boyle is looking for a 2 year contract, why would he want to sign with the Leafs? They aren't even a lock for the playoffs in the next two years.

Hey, the "insiders" are saying that Boyle's interest in the Leafs is high. I'm just assuming he would like to play for a contender but he'll sign with any team as long they give him the money.

Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals Nathan Walker selected third round, 89th overall, by Washington Capitals.

AUSTRALIA HAS A FUCKING NHL DRAFTEE MOTHERFUCKERS!

Let's drink beer

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
It was an awful trade, but Gunnarsson was nowhere close to the Leafs best D-man.

Gardiner and Phaneuf are well ahead of him, and Rielly could surpass him as early as this year.

Phaneuf doesn't play defense

And

Gardiner is a high end forward on the back end

Remember the phaneuf with holzer/kostka/franson/gardiner gongshow every damn time gunnar was injured?

I do.

I have those behind the net passes by phaneuf BURNED into my memory

Samyy

If we get rid of Gleason I'll be okay....
Still a terrible, horrible trade - Gunarrson is a better D then Polack in pretty much every way and we added in that trade. Fucking terrible management this team has.

Merguson

Banned
Phaneuf doesn't play defense

And

Gardiner is a high end forward on the back end

Remember the phaneuf with holzer/kostka/franson/gardiner gongshow every damn time gunnar was injured?

I do.

I have those behind the net passes by phaneuf BURNED into my memory

I know. It's amazing how Holzer, Kostka, Franson and Gardiner, top defensive defensemen, couldn't play good defense pairing with Phaneuf.

Razorskin

----- ------
Since everyone loves Cox

http://www.sportsnet.ca/blogs/the-spin/life-without-a-draft-might-be-better/

Cox: Life without an NHL draft might be better

PHILADELPHIA — The NHL draft has always been one of my favourite events.

Went to my first one in Minnesota back 1989. The Doug Zmolek Draft. Still can’t believe the Islanders got it all wrong with Dave Chyzowski, although 126 NHL games is more than yours truly will ever skate in.

The intrigue around this year’s event, meanwhile, is as compelling as any draft in recent times, with speculation swirling about both the order in which players will be taken and the position teams will be in to draft when it comes time to actually make selections.

In Aaron Ekblad, Sam Bennett and Sam Reinhart, you’ve got three possible No. 1 selections. Florida is willing to move the top pick — it hasn’t happened since 2003, but the Panthers have done it twice in team history — and you’ve got intriguing wild card players, including Nick Ritchie, Kevin Fiala, Nik Ehlers, Thatcher Demko and Josh Ho-Sang.

My question, however, is whether this is all really necessary. Or more to the point, whether the draft is really the best way to distribute hockey talent among the NHL’s 30 member clubs.

The NHL, at its board meeting on Thursday, is also actively considering tweaks to the system, although that would have more to do with the draft lottery system.

But what if there was no draft at all?

Certainly, we’re getting a little window into what such a world might look at this week with the “interviewing” period during which NHL clubs are permitted to talk to unrestricted free agents, just not negotiate or sign them.

Agent Steve Bartlett told me this morning he’s got six or seven teams looking to discuss Tomas Vanek. Another agent, Anton Thun, is taking calls from teams on David Bolland. Dan Boyle’s agent is in town sifting through approaches from various clubs.

Nothing can happen until Tuesday, of course. But that could be one wild day, something like what happens in the U.S. on national signing day for all the NCAA football programs.

Well, couldn’t the recruitment of teenage hockey players work the same way?

Your first objection, of course, will be to say that the draft is vital to maintain competitive balance.

Sure about that?

The New York Rangers didn’t need high picks to get to the Stanley Cup final. Lots of teams, of course, could have picked Anze Kopitar ahead of of the L.A. Kings. Multiple high picks, meanwhile, don’t seem to be making the Islanders better. Or the Oilers. Or the Florida Panthers.

Good operations find ways to put good teams on the ice. Bad operations can’t be saved by the draft.

Moreover, as we see every year with U.S. college free agents, players with a choice don’t just flood to the best teams. Just as often, they are looking for opportunity, a chance to play sooner as opposed to later. Tyler Bozak signed with Toronto, not Detroit. Justin Schultz elected to become an Edmonton Oiler.

Finally, there’s a salary cap in place. Teams, particularly if they had to sign their junior-aged players rather than just draft them, would be limited to some degree in their ability to attract multiple players.

So let’s say there was no draft right now. Teams would have a week to wine and dine eligible 18-year-olds. Aaron Ekblad might well choose Buffalo or Florida. He might want to be a Leaf. He could, theoretically, choose to go to Chicago if the Blackhawks had the room, even knowing he might not be able to break into the NHL for another couple of years.

Next year, Connor McDavid could be courted. Those teams that didn’t get him might have the wherewithal to chase Jack Eichel. Might a team be able to get both? Theoretically, sure. But they’d have to do it within the confines of a rookie cap and a salary cap.

Why reward teams for being terrible with high picks? Why force talented young players to join lousy organizations?

The draft is an orderly way to distribute talent, sure, but whether it’s an effective way to distribute talent, maintain competitive integrity and motivate teams to improve their organizations is much less clear.

Plus, if you want to generate excitement about your sport, having a week to talk to eligible juniors followed by an official signing day would be an awfully good way of doing that.

It won’t happen, and as it stands, the draft is still a thoroughly entertaining exercise with a lot of history behind it.

Whether it’s the best way of doing things is another question entirely.

Nathan Walker, my homie <3333

I've watched you play at the Icehouse so many times. I bought you a beer at Groove Train after the last IIHF vs Melbourne Ice derby...

I love you Nathan <33333333333333

I don't know. I think I'd rather see my team get beat by a better team in the cup final then watch my 1 seeded team get beat by a wildcard in the first round when they had multiple game lead in the series - but hey that's just me!

Well to be fair, pretty much any team could get out of the first round of the East. That's not even possible, but there ya go.

I'm sure one day the Avs will make it out of the first round again. One day.

Well, Minnesota had more points than the the Rangers, and only 2 less than LA. Maybe if we were in a shit conference we could have gone to the finals? Montreal did all of the heavy lifting for you guys anyway. Philadelphia knows what that's like.

Well, Minnesota had more points than the the Rangers, and only 2 less than LA. Maybe if we were in a shit conference we could have gone to the finals? Montreal did all of the heavy lifting for you guys anyway. Philadelphia knows what that's like.

Dat salt. Whatever helps you sleep at night. I'm sure you've been going over this a lot since your team was eliminated in April.

ZeroGravity

Really liking this Brayden Point kid we got in the third round. Might actually be the best player we've gotten so far. Eighth best goal scorer in the draft, but only 5'10" so of course no one but Tampa wants him. He'll fit in well.

Top Bottom