• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

calder

Yep:
#NHLJets HC Paul Maurice says Dustin Byfuglien will start next season as a forward

8:42 AM - 13 Apr 2014​
https://twitter.com/WiebeSunSports/status/455370446926393344

Also:
Jets GM: 'Ondrej Pavelec is the number one goaltender going into next season'​
http://beta.thescore.com/news/482293

:(

I came around on Buff as a forward this year. He certainly prefers playing defense and makes no bones about it, but he was effective at forward and Maurice likes him up front. If only he didn't leave a plus sized hole on the blueline.

As to Pavelec, I have to be positive and just keep telling myself that things change and maybe Reimer is cheap in July so Chevy makes a trade and then decides to buyout Pavs.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
NHL GAF I think one of my songs is going to get played on the CBC
in windsor
tomorrow morning. So, that's nice :)

Oh fuck no, we were a regional hit in southern Ontario. Mostly Sarnia/London/Windsor. Got to open for some cool acts though. Black Eyed Peas, Bedouin Soundclash, and Big Wreck.

We were called Hello Bella. Here's a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sLdkjBTDGA

It was fun :)
That's pretty awesome, is that you in your avatar?

Curufinwe

Burke_zps17db61bb.jpg

fallout

I came around on Buff as a forward this year. He certainly prefers playing defense and makes no bones about it, but he was effective at forward and Maurice likes him up front. If only he didn't leave a plus sized hole on the blueline.
I was never convinced that it was going to be effective, especially when he kept saying: "I want to play defense". In the end, I think it worked out and it's been great to watch him crash the net.

As to Pavelec, I have to be positive and just keep telling myself that things change and maybe Reimer is cheap in July so Chevy makes a trade and then decides to buyout Pavs.
Yeah, I'm hoping that statement doesn't preclude them from trying to upgrade this summer.

The Buffalo Sabres today announced several changes to the team’s coaching staff, effective immediately: Assistant coaches Joe Sacco and Jerry Forton have been offered reassignment within the organization’s hockey department; the contract of assistant coach Teppo Numminen will not be renewed; goaltending coach Jim Corsi will not return as part of the team’s staff next season.

Surprised Corsi is gone, not so surprised about everyone else. Rumors now are Arturs Irbe will be the goaltending coach.

Pavelec's contract is not that bad. If they can sign a 1A goalie for $2.5-3M that's $7M tied up in net which is reasonable for most teams. Cap is going up anyway.

Garrison is going to the Worlds, which is a bit strange since some think he's been playing hurt most of the year. But I guess he has offseason to recover.

Socreges

Banned
Pavelec's contract is not that bad. If they can sign a 1A goalie for $2.5-3M that's $7M tied up in net which is reasonable for most teams. Cap is going up anyway.

Garrison is going to the Worlds, which is a bit strange since some think he's been playing hurt most of the year. But I guess he has offseason to recover.
I'd think that means he probably hasn't been playing injured...

fallout

Why not just double Montoya's salary and let him compete for the #1 job?
They tried to ride him a bit late in the season and he started to falter. So, I really don't think Montoya's shown that he can be a #1. There's a big difference between performing well when playing 30 games and 60+ games.

That said, I'm open to them giving him a shot if there aren't any other options.

Erdrick

Very pleased with the Maurice signing. He's been a positive for the team since his arrival. Now the wait for the draft begins...

Curufinwe

It was just some banter, he does seem prety happy in Ottawa. I find the Flyers fans who actually think Ryan coming to Philly is preordained really annoying. Almost as bad as the ones who are obsessed with trading for Weber.

Socreges

Banned
It was just some banter, he does seem prety happy in Ottawa. I find the Flyers fans who actually think Ryan coming to Philly is preordained really annoying. Almost as bad as the ones who are obsessed with trading for Weber.
The only major acquisition the Flyers will be making is Kesler for Couturier.

Which is almost as bad as tons of Minnesota fans guaranteeing we get Vanek in a few months.

I mean, it's certainly possible and is leaning that way but I will not be surprised in the slightest if he goes to another team.

Like 90% of Wild fans, on the other hand, will probably start riots if he doesn't come here.

Yeah. If Philly wants Ryan, they have to trade for him. He won't hit the free market.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
You left out the best part which is funny and insane at the same time.

2 MORE YEARS!!

eR8Mn.gif

If there's any proof of inept management in this organization, it's signing Chris Phillips, a player who is barely an NHL defenceman at this point in his career, to a 2 year deal.

If there's any prrof of inept management in this organization, it's signing Chris Phillips, a player who is barely an NHL defenceman at this point in his career, to a 2 year deal.

Murray is just too loyal to old timers, and after blowing it with Alfie it was probably a PR move(odd one since most fans would want him gone I think).

Cake Boss

Banned
Murray is just too loyal to old timers, and after blowing it with Alfie it was probably a PR move(odd one since most fans would want him gone I think).

The worst thing about it is that hes taking up valuable ice time from our younger and better dman, and its not like we can make him the 7th dman because sure as hell Meldick won't pay 2.5M to have someone not play.

Look at this D log.

Weircioch
Cowen
Ceci
Gryba
Borocop
Cleasson
Wideman

Most are either already better than Philoops (Ceci, Gryba) or deserve more ice time to develop (Weircioch, Borocop) or at least deserve a chance to show their stuff (Cleasson, Wideman).

Top Bottom