• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

The worst thing about it is that hes taking up valuable ice time from our younger and better dman, and its not like we can make him the 7th dman because sure as hell Meldick won't pay 2.5M to have someone not play.

Well you can't have too many rookies on D that was the problem this year. Cowen+Wiercioch as the 2nd pairing was as big of a disaster as you'd expect s they had 1.5y COMBINED NHL experience at the start of the season.

I think one of Cowen or Methot is gone, I don't want Wiercioch traded as he's a good puck mover. We have a bunch of prospects but not all of them will get a shot (sadly). Some are trade bait.

I'm just going to hope that Philoops somehow bounces back and plays better those 2 years(or goes on LTIR long term like Jason Smith did).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Best selling jerseys of 2013-14:

blb7eacccaallah3oiwd.png

A few interesting names on the list. I find #24 extremely hard to believe.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Seriously, who buys a Brad Richards jersey? He probably put in a huge order himself to inflate the numbers.

And not a single fuck was given all the way from Barbados. People renewed their season tickets etc.

Not sure if I want Murray with a full cap budget anyway LOL. He'd have signed Clarkson to even more money(if the rumor is true) and signed every aging Russian UFA.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously, who buys a Brad Richards jersey? He probably put in a huge order himself to inflate the numbers.

Seriously, Richards jerseys are ALWAYS in abundant stock at the Garden because nobody buys them.

When I see a Richards jersey more often than not it's a Winter Classic jersey from a couple seasons ago.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

The best part is, a lot of casual Sens fans read those blogs, so Melnyk's attempts to fool fans into believing that the team is actually spending won't work.

And not a single fuck was given all the way from Barbados. People renewed their season tickets etc.

Not sure if I want Murray with a full cap budget anyway LOL. He'd have signed Clarkson to even more money(if the rumor is true) and signed every aging Russian UFA.

I would be very surprised if season ticket renewals(and season ticket sales in general) are not down from last year.

Curufinwe

Claude Lemeiux's son Brendan could be a first round drat pick. Maybe NJ take him with the pity pick the league gave them.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=714885

Brendan Lemieux is a regular chip off the old block.

The son of former NHL player and three-time Stanley Cup champion Claude Lemieux considers himself a playoff performer. In other words, he's a forward who can make the big play and score the big goal when needed.

Sound familiar? It should. Claude ended his career tied for third with Joe Sakic on the all-time NHL list with 19 game-winning goals in the Stanley Cup Playoffs for three different teams.

Brendan certainly opened some eyes with some clutch goals and feistiness in his second full season for the Barrie Colts of the Ontario Hockey League in 2013-14, producing 27 goals, 53 points and 145 penalty minutes in 65 regular season games. He moved up 10 spots to No. 28 on NHL Central Scouting's final ranking of the top North American players eligible for the 2014 NHL Draft at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I was on vacation the last week so...

Brendan Shanahan eh?

Give me a few days and I'll come up with a hope post.

Fei

The Islanders have reportedly decided to keep their 2014 1st round pick, which is pretty fantastic news for Buffalo. Since 2008, the Islanders have picked in the Top 5 six out of seven years (5th, 1st, 5th, 5th, 4th, 15th, 5th).

Samyy

The Islanders have reportedly decided to keep their 2014 1st round pick, which is pretty fantastic news for Buffalo. Since 2008, the Islanders have picked in the Top 5 six out of seven years (5th, 1st, 5th, 5th, 4th, 15th, 5th).

Wow, image 2 top 5 picks in next years draft. You could very well draft a #1 centre (McDavid/ Eichel) AND a #1 Dman.

Samyy

Seems like foolish optimism for the Islanders. I really don't think they're going to be that much better next year.

Hmm well all they really need is a goalie. I imagine they'll go after one hard this off-season. Big money on Hiller maybe? I think offensively they are very strong, and their D is not terrible.

Red_Man

I think Islanders will be better next year, with a half decent goalie they'd be a bubble playoff team, along with a healthy Tavares. I don't see their pick being a top 5 one next season.

Fei

Now a possible outcome: Sabres worst team. Islanders win the lottery. Sabres get McDavid AND Eichel. I don't know what I would do.

ZeroGravity

Getting a goaltender isn't as easy as it sounds. You either gamble on someone unproven or get a veteran cast-off who wasn't good enough for a team better than the Islanders.

And I think their problems extend beyond goaltending. It's the same thing every year.

Fei

They could try and resign Moulson in the offseason, but he didn't seem to keen on returning. Seems like they missed him a lot.

Red_Man

And I think their problems extend beyond goaltending. It's the same thing every year.
They were doing really well until they traded Moulson, apparently he was huge in the room and moving him really fucked with everyone. Combine that with shoddy goaltending + Tavares going down, I don't think they took a step back. They have a lot of great, young talent.

ZeroGravity

They were doing really well until they traded Moulson, apparently he was huge in the room and moving him really fucked with everyone. Combine that with shoddy goaltending + Tavares going down, I don't think they took a step back. They have a lot of great, young talent.
Problem is you need good veteran talent to support that and players just don't want to go there. They're very similar to Edmonton.

Red_Man

Season highlights for De La Rose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0VHZraz1Nk

Just signed his ELC and is probably my favourite prospect right now outside of Beaulieu. Huge, two way center who was one of Swedens best forwards this year at the WJs.

Problem is you need good veteran talent to support that and players just don't want to go there. They're very similar to Edmonton.
I disagree, I think they're much closer to being a playoff team then people give them credit for. A lot of things went wrong for them this season, with the young guys on their team, I think they'll be fighting for a wild card spot next season.

Curufinwe

I disagree, I think they're much closer to being a playoff team then people give them credit for. A lot of things went wrong for them this season, with the young guys on their team, I think they'll be fighting for a wild card spot next season.

Only if they get a big upgrade in goal.

Samyy

And possibly Ekblad, Ristolainen, Zadorov and Myers roaming around.

Or it could be Hanifin, Ristolainen, Zadorov, Myers + McDavid/Eichel.

GAME OVER MAN

GAME OVER

And the Leafs just sign Bolland for 8 years
All those Euro names you posted will have zero character/grit/leadership so they won't be able to handle Mimico boy Davey Bolland

No but seriously I feel like every team in the division is getting better and the Leafs are just like -shrug-

Samyy

From what McKenzie said, he thinks there will be a decision by the end of next Saturday.

For what its worth, he said 10 on a scale of 1-10 how surprised he would be if Carlyle stayed.

I guess it comes down to:

- How well he can explain his strategy/decisions
- Players responses
- Availability of Replacements
- Randy's willingness to maybe change/try new things, take input from Shanny.

There is a universe where I see him staying. If he decides to completely abandon this system, agree to play younger players in favour of Orr/FML etc.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I guess it comes down to:

- How well he can explain his strategy/decisions
- Players responses
- Availability of Replacements
- Randy's willingness to maybe change/try new things, take input from Shanny.

There is a universe where I see him staying. If he decides to completely abandon this system, agree to play younger players in favour of Orr/FML etc.

So even on vacation I couldn't escape Leafs talk.

What I was told by another person (who was not drunk at the time) he stated Shanahan is going to get Mike Babcock was the next coach of the Leafs after his contract is up next season.

I laughed then cried on the inside.

zroid

Banned

What I was told by another person (who was not drunk at the time) he stated Shanahan is going to get Mike Babcock was the next coach of the Leafs after his contract is up next season.

raining_david_tennant_nosedrip.gif

Naw, I can't see it. There's way too much risk keeping him around. The moment the team starts playing like shit again - which will happen because Carlyle himself admitted he has no idea how to fix the problems he was instrumental in creating - the entire management group looks bad: Nonis, Leiweke and, especially, Shanahan.

Samyy

I woulda been like:

viewtopic.php

Top Bottom