• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Merguson

Banned
David Legwand signed with the Senators. $6 million over 2 years. Bryan Murray spending!!!

Wouldn't have minded him signing with the Leafs at that but whatever.

I can't help but overthink the O'Reilly situation. Kid is a huge part of what makes us successful, but the amount of money he's apparently asking for is not only crazy it's also detrimental to the structure of the team unless we start moving other players. Wilson, McLeod, Briere, Stuart and Hejda all come off the books next season and I guess we're in decent shape in that regard because as far as I'm concerned none of them get a raise and some of them will need to take a cut if they want to stick around. We'll need to sign MacKinnon in a few years if not sooner. Getting a fair salary for Barrie in the wake of the O'Reilly greed is the biggest concern right now I guess. Elliott can be shipped out. Sarich and Benoit seem to not be returning? I don't know.

Ugh.

TUSR

Banned
I can't help but overthink the O'Reilly situation. Kid is a huge part of what makes us successful, but the amount of money he's apparently asking for is not only crazy it's also detrimental to the structure of the team unless we start moving other players. Wilson, McLeod, Briere, Stuart and Hejda all come off the books next season and I guess we're in decent shape in that regard because as far as I'm concerned none of them get a raise and some of them will need to take a cut if they want to stick around. We'll need to sign MacKinnon in a few years if not sooner. Getting a fair salary for Barrie in the wake of the O'Reilly greed is the biggest concern right now I guess. Elliott can be shipped out. Sarich and Benoit seem to not be returning? I don't know.

Ugh.

what the hell is he asking for?

I swear whenever I type in a new FA signing's name into Google, the first result is "So and so would be an excellent fit for Oilers..." EDMONTON JOURNAL (blog).

How much does ROR want?

what the hell is he asking for?

His agent seems to think he's worth over 6.5 from the implications I've been hearing. It's a really weird situation because every time O'Reilly has spoken about the situation he says he wants to stay here and play for Roy, that he doesn't want to be anywhere else. Then when it comes to dealing with his fucking agent it seems like the opposite is true. It's also curious that both Barrie and O'Reilly use the same agency and neither have signed yet.

edit: Not to mention with all of the fucking insane UFA contracts that have been getting thrown around this week, I'm sure the eyes of who ever is actually responsible for the situation are as big as saucers cause he'll be UFA in 2 years.

TUSR

Banned
His agent seems to think he's worth over 6.5 from the implications I've been hearing. It's a really weird situation because every time O'Reilly has spoken about the situation he says he wants to stay here and play for Roy, that he doesn't want to be anywhere else. Then when it comes to dealing with his fucking agent it seems like the opposite is true. It's also curious that both Barrie and O'Reilly use the same agency and neither have signed yet.

His hit right now is 5. 6.5 isn't going to tear the team apart. Hes also only had 1.5 exception seasons.

His hit right now is 5. 6.5 isn't going to tear the team apart. Hes also only had 1.5 exception seasons.

It all depends on what Barrie wants and whether or not we can lock O'Reilly down long term. 2 years at 6.5 only to run into this again or have him leave is not going to work and I think that's ultimately what's holding everything back.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
An agents job is to get the most cash for his client. Obviously he's going to run him up, ROR could get $7 M easily.

TUSR

Banned
It all depends on what Barrie wants and whether or not we can lock O'Reilly down long term. 2 years at 6.5 only to run into this again or have him leave is not going to work and I think that's ultimately what's holding everything back.

If ROR gets 6.5/year, dread the Mackinnon renewal that will cost them if he plays like he did last year.

This whole cap situation is really fucking numbers and shit up. ROR will get over 7 if he tested FA.

Lanche have 2 options:

1) Pay ROR

2) Become Sens of the Rockies and watch all your homegrown talent leave because your club hates that good players want good contracts.

If ROR gets 6.5/year, dread the Mackinnon renewal that will cost them if he plays like he did last year.

That's what I'm saying about long term structural damage. Mac is gonna get himself paid and it's a tough situation when you've got O'Reilly with both hands out over a season and a half's worth of performance.
Lanche have 2 options:

1) Pay ROR

2) Become Sens of the Rockies and watch all your homegrown talent leave because your club hates that good players want good contracts.

Pretty sure the only person on roster unhappy with their valuation by the club is O'Reilly/his agent/dad?

TUSR

Banned
That's what I'm saying about long term structural damage. Mac is gonna get himself paid and it's a tough situation when you've got O'Reilly with both hands out over a season and a half's worth of performance.

The Avs still have a bit of cap space left, 12-13 mill according to Cap Geek for this season. If the team is committed to paying good players good money then there shouldn't be a problem here. Signing ROR for 6.5+ has to be done, or else you will start to bleed talent.

The Avs still have a bit of cap space left, 12-13 mill according to Cap Geek for this season. If the team is committed to paying good players good money then there shouldn't be a problem here. Signing ROR for 6.5+ has to be done, or else you will start to bleed talent.

10 mil is what I think it's at

Duchene is locked up for $6M for the next 5 years. Pretty reasonable.
Landeskog is locked up forever at $5.5M. Also reasonable.

Then you've got Iginla, Briere, and Tanguay, who are making quite a bit but don't factor in their long-term plans.

Assume that MacKinnon is the real deal which means he'll get $6M or so in a couple years. If O'Reilly gets his $6.5M that's $24M for four top-6 guys. Compare it to Chicago, LA, Boston, and it's not that bad.

It might hurt their depth in the long run, and they'll likely need a No. 1 defenceman at some point if they want to be a serious contender, but I don't see a big O'Reilly contract hampering the team that badly.

Socreges

Banned

Ugh.
More important than Stastny?

calder

@ScottBilleck
A source tells me that the #NHLJets have “had a couple discussions” with 31-year-old RW Lee Stempniak. Ha 12G, 22A with CGY & PIT last year.

It's come to this - I get legit excited by the mere notion of the Jets talking to Lee Stempniak. I think he could be a good, inexpensive pickup, he had a really low PDO year last season and should be more productive offensively this year.

The Winnipeg WhiteOut came as a direct response to the "C of Red" when Winnipeg played Calgary in the 1987 playoffs. Calgary started the "C of Red" the previous season in their playoff series against the Oilers.

Hmm that sounds kinda familiar, but I remember the first Jets whiteout being during the regular season against the Habs (John Ferguson telling fans to dress up to match the dapper Montreal crowd), then the playoff thing a bit later. But I may have just imagined that as a child's coping mechanism due to moving from Manitoba to Calgary and back in the '80s.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Hmm that sounds kinda familiar, but I remember the first Jets whiteout being during the regular season against the Habs (John Ferguson telling fans to dress up to match the dapper Montreal crowd), then the playoff thing a bit later. But I may have just imagined that as a child's coping mechanism due to moving from Manitoba to Calgary and back in the '80s.

It's possible and even probable that Whiteouts happened on their own earlier, like I was saying with the Ducks. Maybe that playoff series was the first time the team officially tried to organize it. The dates I posted are the "official" dates according to the teams, but as we all know that doesn't necessarily mean anything. It just sets an upper limit on when it started.

yyzjohn

Banned
- I think Stastny was overpaid at 6.5, let alone 7.
- O'Reilly has even less of a resume than Stastny does and while he is the better player 6.5+ is a stretch right now.

Plus Statsny as a UFA and O'Rielly as RFA aren't the same thing. UFA will always get overpaid.

Socreges

Banned
- I think Stastny was overpaid at 6.5, let alone 7.
- O'Reilly has even less of a resume than Stastny does and while he is the better player 6.5+ is a stretch right now.
I agree that Stastny was overpaid. And I agree that O'Reilly doesn't have a meaty resume. But his demands are in line with his performance and the market (even as an RFA), I'd say. Avs would likely give in more easily if they didn't have such a difficult cap situation with so many young superstars.

I agree that Stastny was overpaid. And I agree that O'Reilly doesn't have a meaty resume. But his demands are in line with his performance and the market (even as an RFA), I'd say. Avs would likely give in more easily if they didn't have such a difficult cap situation with so many young superstars.

Yep. That's what makes it such a worry. Sakic is saying he wants O'Reilly long term so I'm hopeful something will be figured out. He said he's going to sign any offer sheet that comes along as well. I just hope it doesn't end up fucking us in the long run, cause we really need Barrie to stick around too. Maybe we can dump McLeod on someone.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
How do you even deal with that, massive lifestyle change I imagine? Cause fuck that shit man I'd be out trying to score some morphine or something.

Caffeine helps a bit. It's tough. I'm a teacher and I'll slur words/write the wrong letter on the board on occasion when I've got the aura. It's a real pain.

Acid08

Banned
Lol @ this shit:

10423821_10152332354792669_8370935366653063229_n.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The Sens will trade him back to the Wings next year after realizing they can't afford him with the Bobby Ryan contract extension.

I'm sure Holland would give up another top prospect and high pick for him.

Socreges

Banned
Lol @ this shit:

10423821_10152332354792669_8370935366653063229_n.jpg
The eagle breaking the stick seems like an accurate metaphor.

As much as Americans love to hate on hockey, though, seeing FOX News lose their minds over the unprecedented popularity of the World Cup in the US has been truly unique.

The eagle breaking the stick seems like an accurate metaphor.

As much as Americans love to hate on hockey, though, seeing FOX News lose their minds over the unprecedented popularity of the World Cup in the US has been truly unique.

To be fair, everyone in the US is going to go back to forgetting about Soccer once this is over until the next one.

Socreges

Banned
The problem is more people are watching MLS. Attendance is up and they are starting to offer more money to players.
Yep. Which relates to increased ratings for the WC. And so forth.

Frankly I'm shocked that CrazedArabMan dislikes soccer. He always seemed like a perfect caricature of rural America. But then there's that popular expression "Cling to your Gun, Thump your Bible, and Love the Beautiful Game." :/

Yep. Which relates to increased ratings for the WC. And so forth.

Frankly I'm shocked that CrazedArabMan dislikes soccer. He always seemed like a perfect caricature of rural America. But then there's that popular expression "Cling to your Gun, Thump your Bible, and Love the Beautiful Game." :/

I don't technically dislike soccer, not really a fan of watching it but I did enjoy playing, was actually pretty good goalie during PE and playing with friends in middle/high school. But of course I fell in love with hockey and that pretty much ended any other involvement with other sports and now my sport life is pretty much playing hockey whenever I can or watching it. If I was truly the redneck, gun loving, Bible thumping, Tea Party'n, Fox News loving son of gun you believe me to be, I would probably be into NASCAR or Football, but both of those have no appeal to me.

Real Talk: Soccer seems to lean more towards the cities in the US from what I have seen, rural stills seems to be more baseball or football.

Plinko

The problem is more people are watching MLS. Attendance is up and they are starting to offer more money to players.

You forgot to put quotation marks around the word "more." It's not that much. Plus, ratings will fade back to normal soon. Soccer has tried for decades to catch on here. It just doesn't work. Americans want action and scoring. Paying to watch a 100-minute 0-0 draw is infuriating. It's too boring.

And before "but baseball!", the only reason baseball has decent ratings is because of it's national history (aka drawing in old people) and it's still a relatively popular youth sport. Soccer is picking up a bit in that area, but it won't be comparable to the big 3 leagues in the US for decades.

Samyy

MLS has like .5 billion dollars in revenue.
Regardless of how fast they grow, even if they grow really fast relative to other leagues in America, there is no way they even come close for many many years.

Its not like they are going to double, triple revenues overnight, that in itself could take a decade. The NHL has like 3.5-3.7billion and that is also going to grow at the same time (12% over the last year). Any type of meaningful convergence is a while away.

You forgot to put quotation marks around the word "more." It's not that much. Plus, ratings will fade back to normal soon. Soccer has tried for decades to catch on here. It just doesn't work. Americans want action and scoring. Paying to watch a 100-minute 0-0 draw is infuriating. It's too boring.

Ratings will probably go up with the new TV deal that starts next year. The MLS will get regular time slots across 3 or 4 channels, as well as close to $90 million per season up from the $18 million per season they were getting up to now (according to the wiki I just read).

More cash means more and better DPs, better coaches at the academies, better managers at clubs. The product is improving and will continue to do so.

Say what you want about Spezza, that Sens lineup does not look good without him.

Team will be better defensively without him. He was brutal and he took down everyone who was on the ice with him. Who knows if offense will be enough, depends on the final roster.

Maybe he will do better in Dallas under Ruff.

Wow much signing

Such spenders

So offense

I'm taking it as a sign that it's time to follow the CFL.

Top Bottom