• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Samyy

Montreal, Tampa, Boston, Columbus, Philadelphia, Islanders, all getting noticeably better, quickly. Leafs will need to do some work this off season to keep up.

Yes I don't think we can hope to make the playoffs next year with our current roster
I don't know what we could do in a single off season to fix much...

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The obvious solution is to bring in the Smith brothers from Detroit and Boston. #TeamMimico
You guys need gritty, power forward extraordinaire, Rene Bourque! 3 playoff goals in 4 games, that smells like character and clutchness to me.

We desperately need a top 4 RHD to play with Hedman. I expect Yzerman will address that with a trade at some point. We have too much forward depth right now, so Purcell is probably gone, and I expect teams will be asking for Kucherov and/or Killorn.

Don't think there are many teams willing to give up a guy like that.

Might have to look at a guy like Giordano instead or hope that Koekkoek is the man.

Sucks that Trouba was taken right before, he'd be the perfect guy for Hedman.

ZeroGravity

Been curious about this since obviously the story has died down since the trade deadline, but does Kesler still want out of Vancouver, or does the firing of Gillis change the situation?

Don't think there are many teams willing to give up a guy like that.

Might have to look at a guy like Giordano instead or hope that Koekkoek is the man.

Sucks that Trouba was taken right before, he'd be the perfect guy for Hedman.
Yeah, it's going to be a really hard thing to find, but at least we have the depth now to at least entertain getting a player like that. Still have my doubts about Koekkoek, but will be excited to see what he can do with a full year in the AHL next season.

Socreges

Banned
We desperately need a top 4 RHD to play with Hedman. I expect Yzerman will address that with a trade at some point. We have too much forward depth right now, so Purcell is probably gone, and I expect teams will be asking for Kucherov and/or Killorn.
Bieksa for Kucherov+, DONE

And I suspect Kesler still wants out. He's never struck me as a loyal guy that'd stick with an organization through tough times. Frankly, I don't blame him and wouldn't want it any other way. Trade the guy while he still has high value.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Take Franson...I dunno...for Palat?

A MAN CAN DREAM, DAMMIT!

Red_Man

Palat, Johnson, and Gallagher were the most important forwards in this series. Maybe GM's will stop discounting smaller guys sometime soon.

Kesler is the Canucks' best trade asset since Edler's play went off a cliff. The free agent pool for elite wingers is pretty small and even with the cap space from the Luongo trade you're still looking at questionable goaltending.

They won't be a Cup contender without Kesler but it's highly unlikely they will be one even if he stays.

Merguson

Banned
Leafs are probably waiting on the Penguins to fire Bylsma if the Penguins lose the series against Columbus so they can hire him, I bet.

ZeroGravity

So in addition to dislocating his elbow, Bishop had been playing with torn ligaments in his wrist since January and he'll need to have surgery. He should be ready for training camp.

After Bishop suffered dislocated elbow on April 8, he said Stamkos gave him a hug and Bishop almost started crying, knew he'd miss playoffs
:(

Red_Man

They won't fire Blysma, how the fuck can he be held responsible for Fleury being shit?
Media guys have said Byslma is on the hot seat if they get bounced in the first round, the amount of playoff failure they've had in recent years with their roster is unacceptable.

yyzjohn

Banned
Somebody want to wake up Shanahan? Haven't heard a fucking thing from him since that first day of media blitz. Fire someone for fuck sakes.

yyzjohn

Banned
Media guys have said Byslma is on the hot seat if they get bounced in the first round, the amount of playoff failure they've had in recent years with their roster is unacceptable.

That's the reason I don't want Byslma. He's always coached a roster full of stars, I'd like the Leafs to hire a coach who's taken a team of fucking nobodys and overachieved. There's a lot of coaches who can coach stars, see Randy Carlyle.

Red_Man

I dunno, goaltending has been shittaaaaaaaaaaaay.
Defense hasn't been much better for them either. He should be able to compensate for the goaltending with his roster, even last night on the tying goal no one was there to cover Dubinsky. Poor systems all around.

ZeroGravity

Hedman turned down Sweden to play in the Worlds. Guess he's still pretty pissed about being snubbed for the Olympics. Don't blame him.

Dreger is now claiming that he knows for sure that the Leafs expected Clarkson to be a 3rd line guy and chip in 15 goals a year.

Lord help us.

Hedman turned down Sweden to play in the Worlds. Guess he's still pretty pissed about being snubbed for the Olympics. Don't blame him.

I think Eric Staal did the same to Canada - to which Hockey Canada and, I hope, Hockey Ikea replied 'Meh, whatever.'

Socreges

Banned
Dreger is now claiming that he knows for sure that the Leafs expected Clarkson to be a 3rd line guy and chip in 15 goals a year.

Lord help us.
Doing his cousin a favour by 'leaking' bullshit out of his mouth hole?

And I feel bad for Staal. Plays for Canada in the WC, at least partly because it would help his chances for the Olys, gets injured, isn't selected.

Or was that two WCs ago?

Doing his cousin a favour by 'leaking' bullshit out of his mouth hole?

And I feel bad for Staal. Plays for Canada in the WC, at least partly because it would help his chances for the Olys, gets injured, isn't selected.

Or was that two WCs ago?

I think that was last year when Edler kneed him.

The Randy Carlyle era begins!

G7Z6eea.gif

Fei

Here are Fleury's save percentage in the last five years in the playoffs:

08-09 .908
09-10 .891
10-11 .899
11-12 .834
12-13 .883

That's 65 games with awful, awful goaltending. Shero should be fired before Bylsma for this alone. You have a team that has a chance win the Cup in any given year if they had even average goaltending, and you hamstring it with Fleury. I know the guy was a #1 overall pick, but he's just not a good goaltender.

This offseason is really just a game of "Who gets suckered into taking Feaster?"

I know Torts won himself no favors in Vancouver, but maybe if he's loud enough for long enough..

Top Bottom