• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Entropia

No One Remembers
Good news?

Very good. Should've happened a couple years ago. Though the only potential downside is that we just hired from within, so obviously Francis is buddy-buddy with the players which may cloud judgement. I don't think that it will though.

Future of Kirk Muller as head coach still undetermined. I think they'll give him one last season under Francis.

Firesale for the Canes?

Skinner and Faulk the only untouchables?

Staal to Toronto for Clarkson+Franson?

If there's any Canes player right now that I'd almost guarantee will be moved this off season it's Cam Ward. The Staals, Skinner, and Faulk aren't untouchable either, though I don't see us as being in fire sale mode.

Players I want us to keep: E. Staal, J. Staal, Semin, Skinner, Faulk, Gerbe, Sekera, Khudobin.

You want to keep Semin? 4 more years at $7M per, and no NTC. Then again he's pretty much immovable.

Ward has two more years at $6.3M and an NTC. Don't see him waiving it to go to a non playoff team.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Trim the fat and bring in some finishers.

I love Bergie but he needs to go. Cola, Roy and Morrow need to be moved as well.

Allen had a great season in the AHL, I'd be happy with him in the #1 seat and Elliot backing him up. Hopefully he can play solid and won't collapse in the playoffs (like that's unfamiliar anyway).

Post-2012/13 Lockout epic 3rd period collapses?

Last year:
- Toronto's Game 7
- Boston's Game 6

This year:
- St. Louis' Game 6
- Dallas' Game 6

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I wonder where Miller is headed to if he's not resigned by the Blues. Back to Buffalo? ;)

Razorskin

----- ------
Looks like Flames got a new GM, assistant gm of Pheonix Brad Treliving.

C4UjVHK.gif

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If Miller wants a long term deal, he's probably not going to find one in Anaheim. Two really good young goaltenders already.
guys from TSN have said he doesn't want a long term deal, more like 3-4 years. He's already looking past his retirement in hockey.

Red_Man

3-4 at what price though?

Gibson could be the starter a year from now, if not sooner.
How so? He would need at least a season as a back up, he's played 45 games in the AHL and 3 in the NHL. They aren't going to throw him in the fire and make him play 65 games his first season.

ZeroGravity

How so? He would need at least a season as a back up, he's played 45 games in the AHL and 3 in the NHL. They aren't going to throw him in the fire and make him play 65 games his first season.
They already have Anderson though.

Either way, Gibson will be ready before the end of whatever deal Miller signs. If you're paying Miller for a year, it makes sense, but that's going to be a lot of money to spend on a goaltender if you go beyond that, when he isn't likely to be the starter in the very near future. And that's even if they feel Miller is much of an upgrade.

Samyy

They already have Anderson though.

Either way, Gibson will be ready before the end of whatever deal Miller signs. If you're paying Miller for a year, it makes sense, but that's going to be a lot of money to spend on a goaltender if you go beyond that, when he isn't likely to be the starter in the very near future. And that's even if they feel Miller is much of an upgrade.

I don't think Miller would take such a short-term deal. As much as he may wan't to go to California I feel like more money & term will be waiting for him with a team like the Islanders who desperately need goaltending.

ZeroGravity

I'd just be wary of signing Miller at this point if you're a contender, especially in the West. He's still a good goalie, but I don't think he's the same goaltender of four years ago who could potentially steal a series. He couldn't do it behind one of the better defensive teams in St. Louis.

Samyy

Yea but I can see the Islanders significantly overpaying Hiller/Miller to avoid giving up McDavid/Eichel to Buffalo.

Red_Man

Miller isn't going to the Islanders. He doesn't want to play much longer, he'll go to a contender. I don't know why everyone is assuming he's already gone from St. Louis, they're still a top contender and I think he's capable of taking a team to the finals.

Samyy

Miller isn't going to the Islanders. He doesn't want to play much longer, he'll go to a contender. I don't know why everyone is assuming he's already gone from St. Louis, they're still a top contender and I think he's capable of taking a team to the finals.

Its more from St. Louis's perspective, are they really going to invest so much into Miller when they have Allen in the wings? Their core is young its not like they are going to need to rebuild soon.

Red_Man

Its more from St. Louis's perspective, are they really going to invest so much into Miller when they have Allen in the wings? Their core is young its not like they are going to need to rebuild soon.
They want to win a cup soon, they didn't give up what they did to not resign him. You can't rush Allen in there with expectations to win the cup in the next year or two, bring back Miller for 3 years and have Allen back him up, get your chances at the cup and move Miller at the deadline in year 3.

Miller, Hiller and Halak.

Reimer, Kuemper and Lehner.

Not a lot out there if you're looking to sign a veteran starter or take a run at a young RFA.

Cake Boss

Banned
Miller, Hiller and Halak.

Reimer, Kuemper and Lehner.

Not a lot out there if you're looking to sign a veteran starter or take a run at a young RFA.

Wouldnt surprise me to see someone offer sheet franchise goalie and Melnyk wouldnt be able to match because of budget reasons.

MacAttack

Seguin has just one goal in his last 28 playoff games, and just four goals in his last 46 playoff games after bursting out of the gate with three goals in his first two postseason games with Boston.
Not a good look, Tyler.

They want to win a cup soon, they didn't give up what they did to not resign him. You can't rush Allen in there with expectations to win the cup in the next year or two, bring back Miller for 3 years and have Allen back him up, get your chances at the cup and move Miller at the deadline in year 3.

It's more a protection of assets at this point. We have a decent shot at Nick Schmaltz or Ryan Mac with this year's first and no 1st next year. Our Center depth is literally nonexistent and if Stastny stays in Colorado we have shit for options without another big risky trade.

I can't fathom why Anaheim would sign Miller eithee other than it has been a rumor for eons.

FOOTE

Jeremy Rutherford (Stl Post) was on the radio today and mentioned that the feeling is that Stastny wants to stay in Colorado which isn't surprising. The Blues have to get at least a true number 2 center though. Through a trade or UFA, whatever, it has to get done thus summer. Losing Backes was much more than they could handle.

On the topic of Miller. I am not against signing him to a two or three year deal and allowing Allen to ease his way in to the starting job when the contract is up. I feel uneasy about throwing Allen right into the fire. I wonder if the Blues don't sign either Miller or Eliott, if they have interest in Hiller. Whatever happens is going to be interesting.

Jeremy Rutherford (Stl Post) was on the radio today and mentioned that the feeling is that Stastny wants to stay in Colorado which isn't surprising. The Blues have to get at least a true number 2 center though. Through a trade or UFA, whatever, it has to get done thus summer. Losing Backes was much more than they could handle.

On the topic of Miller. I am not against signing him to a two or three year deal and allowing Allen to ease his way in to the starting job when the contract is up. I feel uneasy about throwing Allen right into the fire. I wonder if the Blues don't sign either Miller or Eliott, if they have interest in Hiller. Whatever happens is going to be interesting.

We would have made a lot stronger argument for Stastny if we'd done anything this year. Hard to see now.

edit: Well shit. Minny just took the series to Game 7. Maybe not.

I'm only okay with Miller at a take it or leave it price after the draft, if only because we're right around pick 22 and should be able to get Schmaltz. We have to start building depth at C.

Fei

From listening to Miller for the last 18 months or so, I think the guy will take a sweetheart contract to have a shot with a real contender. I'd be shocked if he ended his career on an obscene contract for a perennial loser.

It ended badly, but it's easy to forget St. Louis ended the season decimated with injuries and then lost to Chicago - the defending Champ and one of the best franchises in the league.

Acid08

Banned

Take Niemi.

No, Dubbed, I expect you to take Guy Boucher.

I can't picture that with a Kodak.

.@GeorgeRichards: #FlaPanthers Dale Tallon: Barry Trotz is one hell of a coach.

DALÉ

Edit:
@hfialkov: Tallon said that Laviollete is on his list of potential coaching candidates #flapanthers

FUCK

Top Bottom