• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Samyy

Ah welcome back Smiley, come revel in our pain and misery.

In Leafs related news:

deW4rX8.png

My money is on Poulin and Louiselle.
Told you guys, we're fucked! :(((((

Whichever team lands Kasperi Kapanen is gonna be very lucky.

Wish it was us. If he isn't picked up by 10...
Oh boy oh boy oh boy.

Want ALL the Finnish players.

Bob Murray won't pick him though. Last time he went off the sheet we got Lindholm (stud) instead of Dumba55.

Very happy with that, even though I was sour on it in 2011

Stastny said himself he would take a hometown discount to stay.

(His hometown is St. Louis)

Like Lam said every player says these things. Avs have to solve D issues and that's going to cost money.

I don't take Stricklands word as anything close to fact, but Stastny is the only way the Blues solve their Center issue without losing Shattenkirk so I'm on board this train.

And apparently Weiss was injured from the get go this year but decided to tough it out.... :/

Well here's hoping that once he recovers (finally) this offseason, he can return to how he was in Florida and not the Weiss we saw earlier this year.

pringles

So now that I have had a nice break from NHL hockey, I am extremely terrified what is going to happen to this team in the offseason as both D and Z aren't happy about failing in the first 2 rounds the last few years. We also have a GM who can't make a good trade to save his life and a log jam of prospects at defense and forward.
I very much doubt anything crazy happens. It's good that Dats and Z are speaking up about being frustrated, Holland did a crap job of giving them any support the last few years. But Babcock sounds content with rebuilding the defense from within and I hope that's what they do. Quincey, Kindl and Lashoff need to be gone. Marchenko and Backman are both experienced from pro-leagues and should have no problem stepping into the NHL next season. Then there's Ouellet, Almqvist, Sproul and Jensen who should be battling it out for the #7 spot.

Though knowing Holland he will re-sign Quincey and overpay for Dan Boyle or some other over-the-hill d-man and think that makes us a contender.

And apparently Weiss was injured from the get go this year but decided to tough it out.... :/

Well here's hoping that once he recovers (finally) this offseason, he can return to how he was in Florida and not the Weiss we saw earlier this year.

Was Filppula the only C UFA this year that lived up to their price tag?

zroid

Banned
edit: wrong thread

I will salvage this post eventually, I promise!

------

Leafs 2nd rounder defenceman Matt Finn has been making some noise in the OHL playoffs as Guelph's captain. I think they eliminated Connor Brown's team ironically.

I very much doubt anything crazy happens. It's good that Dats and Z are speaking up about being frustrated, Holland did a crap job of giving them any support the last few years. But Babcock sounds content with rebuilding the defense from within and I hope that's what they do. Quincey, Kindl and Lashoff need to be gone. Marchenko and Backman are both experienced from pro-leagues and should have no problem stepping into the NHL next season. Then there's Ouellet, Almqvist, Sproul and Jensen who should be battling it out for the #7 spot.

Though knowing Holland he will re-sign Quincey and overpay for Dan Boyle or some other over-the-hill d-man and think that makes us a contender.

Unfortunately though it looks like Almqvist isn't in the picture for this team according to Khan (even though he had the 2nd most points on the Griffins). So he might go back to Sweden it seems.

gaming_noob

Ah welcome back Smiley, come revel in our pain and misery.

In Leafs related news:

deW4rX8.png

My money is on Poulin and Louiselle.
Told you guys, we're fucked! :(((((

I've read this tweet and reply several times and I do not understand what's going on. Can you please clarify?

Samyy

I've read this tweet and reply several times and I do not understand what's going on. Can you please clarify?

Apparently two sources inside the Leafs organization, when asked about coaching, said "who is better then Carlyle?" suggesting that they think Carlyle is currently the best option available.

gaming_noob

Apparently two sources inside the Leafs organization, when asked about coaching, said "who is better then Carlyle?" suggesting that they think Carlyle is currently the best option available.

Clueless organization.

The answer has always been Dallas Eakins
6qcgHw7.gif

Merguson

Banned
Everyone's been saying mixed things. The truth is that no one knows jack shit, because no one knows how Shanahan operates. He's the wild card here.

Whichever team lands Kasperi Kapanen is gonna be very lucky.

I wouldn't mind the Flyers trying to trade up for him. Our winger depth is pretty sad. Don't see it happening, though.

I've read a few negative reports about him (largely consistency related,) but doubt his stock will drop by a huge amount.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

You saw Weiss? Dude seemed invisible.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member

Well if Khan's insight is of any value, here's what he thinks/heard

- Detroit will go hard for a top 4 right handed D man
- They are also looking for a top 6 scoring winger
- They will not buy out Franzen, but may buy out Tootoo so he can get back in the NHL on another team
- Doubtful that Legwand will be back
- Alfredsson coming back is up to him
- Quincey will most likely NOT be re-signed
- Sheahan and Glendening will have to be up on the roster full time due to being out of waiver exemptions
- Jurco and Mrazek will probably start in GR next year
- Monster will probably be re-signed unless Detroit can find another veteran back up that they're comfortable with
- Mantha should challenge for a roster spot during training camp and preseason, but will most likely start in the AHL
- On defense, they probably need to move in one of their top prospects. Xavier Ouellet, who’s better defensively, is ahead of Ryan Sproul, Alexey Marchenko and Mattias Backman in the pecking order. Adam Almquist, no longer waiver-exempt, doesn’t want to play in Grand Rapids next season and doesn’t appear to have a future in the organization. He might return to Sweden.
- Andersson and Kindl are trade bait

If all of that news comes true, I would be fine with it.

Letting Bert, Cleary, Sammy, Quincey walk, trading Andersson/Kindl/Lashoff for draft picks, and signing a winger and dman in the off season would make me happy.

Would love to see the team roll something like this...

Z/Pavel/Nyquist
Franzen/Weiss/FA
Tatar/Sheahan/Jurco/Pulkinan/Mantha
Miller/Helm/Abdelkader
Glendening

Kronwall/FA
Ericsson/DeKeyser
Smith/Ouellet
Sproul/Marchenko

Howard
Gus

Well if Khan's insight is of any value, here's what he thinks/heard

- Detroit will go hard for a top 4 right handed D man
- They are also looking for a top 6 scoring winger
- They will not buy out Franzen, but may buy out Tootoo so he can get back in the NHL on another team
- Doubtful that Legwand will be back
- Alfredsson coming back is up to him
- Quincey will most likely NOT be re-signed
- Sheahan and Glendening will have to be up on the roster full time due to being out of waiver exemptions
- Jurco and Mrazek will probably start in GR next year
- Monster will probably be re-signed unless Detroit can find another veteran back up that they're comfortable with
- Mantha should challenge for a roster spot during training camp and preseason, but will most likely start in the AHL
- On defense, they probably need to move in one of their top prospects. Xavier Ouellet, who’s better defensively, is ahead of Ryan Sproul, Alexey Marchenko and Mattias Backman in the pecking order. Adam Almquist, no longer waiver-exempt, doesn’t want to play in Grand Rapids next season and doesn’t appear to have a future in the organization. He might return to Sweden.
- Andersson and Kindl are trade bait

If all of that news comes true, I would be fine with it.

Letting Bert, Cleary, Sammy, Quincey walk, trading Andersson/Kindl/Lashoff for draft picks, and signing a winger and dman in the off season would make me happy.

Would love to see the team roll something like this...

Z/Pavel/Nyquist
Franzen/Weiss/FA
Tatar/Sheahan/Jurco/Pulkinan/Mantha
Miller/Helm/Abdelkader
Glendening

Kronwall/FA
Ericsson/DeKeyser
Smith/Ouellet
Sproul/Marchenko

Howard
Gus

Screw it, let's trade our overflowing prospect pool for the re-uniting of Edler and Ehrhoff for our defense.

On the one hand, the Sharks lost to the Kings for a second year in the row. Everyone knew it would be a close series so it's not a huge choke. Canucks lost to the 8th-seeded Kings in 2012 and they won the Cup that year. They have the cap room and some good contracts (some are moveable if it comes to that) so they'll still be a good team for years to come.

On the other hand they haven't made the finals ever. So something needs to change.

Right now they have 16 players signed and $14M in cap space. Interesting that Pavelski and Couture don't have NTC's, but they're not going anywhere. I wonder if they'll buy out Havlat even though he only has one more year at $5M (and an NMC). They may need that space for a top-4 defenceman.

pringles

Unfortunately though it looks like Almqvist isn't in the picture for this team according to Khan (even though he had the 2nd most points on the Griffins). So he might go back to Sweden it seems.
He had like the 3rd most assists in the entire AHL. Kid is too skilled to not give a chance imo, but Babcock only wants big guys on defense I guess.
You saw Weiss? Dude seemed invisible.
Well, he hasn't played in months... back when he did, yeah he was invisible.

Sullivan wasn't running your power play? He was the power play "guru" in New York.

According to this article, it says Gulutzan runs the PP.

This year’s Canucks, led by the suspended John Tortorella, has assistants Mike Sullivan and Glen Gulutzan behind the behind. Gulutzan runs the power play. The Canucks are ranked 25th in the NHL, converting 14.7 per cent of the time, while generating the third-most shots at five-on-four.

If you keep reading it highlights the history of low-ranked power plays by both Sullivan and Gulutzan. Sad.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...er-play-in-loss-to-predators/article16480473/

Top Bottom