• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

gaming_noob

Halak traded to the Islanders for a conditional 4th. Good trade for the Isles, if they can sign him.

Damn...looks like Reimer won't be getting more than that this offseason. Looks like HFboard's proposal of Lupul + Reimer for the Jet's first round pick is off the table

I was talking about the Isles.

kucqr0U.jpg

RC

Banned
I'll miss Torts' honestly. Made the post game pressers worth watching. But that's about it.

Now hopefully my dream can come true, of Torts coaching the Leafs.

Merguson

Banned
Damn...looks like Reimer won't be getting more than that this offseason. Looks like HFboard's proposal of Lupul + Reimer for the Jet's first round pick is off the table

Halak was a pending UFA. You're not getting more than a conditional pick for that, pretty much. Reimer, on the other hand, is a controllable RFA.

I don't see Reimer getting more than a 2nd round pick, anyways. Just based on Bernier's return, which was a 2nd round pick and two roster players (in theory anyways, Frattin isn't one so far).

Stet

Banned
I'll miss Torts' honestly. Made the post game pressers worth watching. But that's about it.

Now hopefully my dream can come true, of Torts coaching the Leafs.

That's funny, since he was a little boy Torts has always dreamed of coaching the Leafs too.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Halak traded to Islanders

I worry because he's a UFA, but assuming we sign him, I like the deal a lot. If he doesnt sign, we flip him elsewhere for a 4th rounder I guess? Like that time we got Christian Ehrhoff and he refused to sign so we shipped him to Buffalo.

I hope he stays on though so I can say HALAKAMANAIA IS RUNNIN' WILD ALL OVER THIS ISLAND

I was talking about the Isles.

giphy.gif

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Of all the franchises it seems like Montreal is the only one who has it together and only a few years ago they finished bottom 5
That was a bit of a fluke season, but we also cleaned house completely. That's what other teams need to do, you can't leave assistant coaches and people like that behind.

Still some Habs fans who think we should have kept him over Price.

Acid08

Banned
Alright, gonna do my thoughts on the 13-14 Sharks.

Player grades:

Joe Thornton: Regular season-A, Playoffs-D
>You know what you're getting with him in the regular season. He's an assist machine and one of the most talented guys in the league. Playoffs he was mostly ineffective which is inexcusable for our captain. Thinking about it more, I don't think he has any kind of lack of drive or heart like the media likes to say. He just has made himself into a completely one dimensional player when he could be MUCH more. His shot is great, he's a good skater, and a gigantic body. He could be the best power forward in the entire league if he just did more than look for passes. Crashing the net and shooting more would make him into such a bigger threat. In the playoffs everyone on the ice knows he's going to stop up and pass even if there's nothing there so he's easily stopped. He's so predictable and it hurts the team.

Patrick Marleau: Regular season- A, Playoffs- B+
>Another amazing 30 goal season for Marleau, he's the definition of consistent. One of the best skaters in the league and his shot is still killer. Also our best defensive forward. In the playoffs he did well points wise and defense wise. Think he still ended up as a minus though because Couture was honestly dragging that line down at times. Still think he's one of our most valuable forwards.

Joe Pavelski: Regular season- A+, Playoffs- C
>Incredible season for Joe $. Never imagined him having a 40 goal season but he was lights out when we needed him to be with our injury troubles. Still like him at center more because he's just so fucking smart, maybe the highest hockey IQ on the team. Playoffs....no idea. There's no excuse for how bad he was on draws in Game 7. He's one of the top faceoff guys every year and it's baffling. But he was also one of the only guys getting dirty out there and trying to do everything he could to score. Can't say he wasn't trying his hardest and I love that about him. He earned his reputation for being clutch in the playoffs but got shut down here, wouldn't expect that to be the case forever. Our future captain hopefully.

Logan Couture: Regular season- B, Playoffs- D
>A slightly disappointing season all around for Logan. He was dealing for a hand injury for a while before he had to have surgery so I guess I can't fault him too much there. Still scored 20 goals and is our main shutdown center which he was still very good at. Also just a super smart player who could use like 10-15 more pounds of muscle. He was bad in the yoffs, wasn't able to shutdown Kopitar past the first few games. Looked hurt out there, we'll find out tomorrow if he actually was I guess. He seems to have the heart of a winner though so I'm not worried about him going forward, he's still getting better.

Tomas Hertl: Regular season- A, Playoffs- C+
>Story of the season for us, this kid is just fucking awesome. He gets into the shit areas on the ice and just makes stuff happen. So many moments where he's driving the play. He struggled a bit in the playoffs, not surprised since it was his first year and he had to play against the best defensive team in the league. It also doesn't help that he missed so much time because of injury, he would have no doubt been better with more games played. Still though, there were moments where he drove the net and just made shit happen. Love him, he's going to be so good.

Brent Burns: Regular season- B, Playoffs- F
>Burnzie is a dumb hockey player. This became readily apparent through the season and playoffs. Tons of talent and a fucking wild shot but his IQ sucks. He panics and makes bad passes, goes for hits at bad moments, and just didn't drive play as often as we needed. He is still extremely valuable when he's on but he really sucked shit in the playoffs. Don't see how management doesn't listen to offers or try to move him back to D.

Matt Nieto: Regular season- B, Playoffs- B+
>This kid was a total surprise. I knew he had really good potential going into training camp but there was no way he was making the NHL right away. Well he ended up being here because Torres and Burish were injured and immediately made an impact. Kid is fast as fuck and he uses his speed often. He started out being weak on the boards and generally just getting fucking crushed by other players and he got sent down to the AHL for a bit. Well he came back eventually because of more injuries and steadily improved every game after. By the time the playoffs rolled around he was holding his own on the boards, making great passes, and showed a great understanding of the game. Would say he was even more impressive than Hertl at points just because he played more and improved his game. He's going to hopefully be a productive top six winger.

James Sheppard: Regular season- B-, Playoffs- A-
>Had zero expectations from this guy from his inconsistent play last year. He started the year mostly the same but got regular time as our third line center after injuries and he really came into his own. He needs to work on his defensive game and faceoffs but he drives possession at a crazy level. Great surprise this year and he's still super young and can get better. He was our leading scorer in the playoffs and he certainly earned that, looked great in most of the games.

Tommy Wingoals: Regular season- B, Playoffs- C
>Breakout season, hope he'll be a bottom six staple for years to come. He's not the biggest guy but he plays such a physical and greasy game, always driving the net and smashing motherfuckers on the board. He was moving up and down the lineup for a while and each line he was put on became productive. Just a great forechecker and he can fill in on a top six line if needed. Playoffs weren't kind to him, he spent more time chasing hits than making plays.

Marty Havlat: Fuck off
>fuck this guy, retire already. Looks okay sometimes but has zero acceleration left in his skating. He got points because he let Wingels and Sheppard do work while he floated around the perimeter to scoop in garbage. #1 compliance buyout candidate.

Andrew Desjardins: Regular season- C, Playoffs- C
>Desi is a good fourth line center, nothing more and nothing less. He tries real hard. He punches faces sometimes. Is one of our top PKers and does well defensively. Only noticeable in those first two playoff games.

Mike Brown: Regular season- C, Playoffs- C
>A worse version of Desi except he punches stuff better. He's decent but nothing special. Also only noticed him in the first two playoff games.

Raffi Torres: Playoffs-C
>Raffi only played a handful of regular season games so I won't judge any of that. He was super effective those first two games then imo he was mismanaged. Should have been put up on the third with Pavs and Sheppard where he can be more effective. Otherwise he was decent.

Tyler Kennedy: Who the fuck?
>This guy plays for us?

Adam Burish: hahahahahahahahahaha
>hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Marc Edouard Vlasic: Regular season- A+, Playoffs- A+
>The studliest stud to ever stud. He is without a doubt a #1 defenseman in this league despite not being a huge point getter. His injury ruined any chances we had in the playoffs.

Justin Braun: Regular season- A, Playoffs, A-
>Another breakout season guy, Braun has been so amazing for us. He's going to be our legit #3 going forward, just needs to work on his offensive game.

Scott Hannan: Regular season- B, Playoffs- B
>About as solid as you can get for a bottom pairing guy. He gets burned sometimes but is mostly good in his role.

Dan Boyle: Regular season- D, Playoffs- F
>Boyle is done. Even before Lapierre concussed him he just wasn't the same. Terrible on the PP, awful defensively, skated the slowest I've ever seen, and constant mental gaffes. He had a decent stretch of games at the end of the season but completely lost it when the playoffs started. He won't wear a Sharks uniform again.

Brad Stuart: Regular season- F, Playoffs- F
>Fucking terrible so fucking terrible WHY IS HE SO TERRIBLE. #2 compliance buyout candidate. Slow, dumb, and probably racist.

Jason Demers: Regular season- B+, Playoffs- D
>Demers had a great season and led our d-core in points. Kept his play simple and his outlet passes rock. Wasn't taking any of the stupid as fuck penalties he was known for either. Then the playoffs come around and he reverts back to his old stupid self. Fingers crossed he chills the fuck out and comes back better than ever next season.

Matt Irwin: Regular season- C, Playoffs- B
>He struggled at points this season, too skittish with the puck and panics too easily. But he's overall pretty solid and his outlet passes are good. If he can develop into a good #5/6 I'll be happy. He had the impossible task of replacing Vlasic in the playoffs and actually did decently. Proud of him.

Antti Niemi: Regular season- C-, Playoffs- C
>Super disappointing season from him. But it's also hard to fully blame him because the defense didn't play all that well in front of him for stretches. It's a toss up whether he'll be here next season or not.

Alex Stalock: Regular season- A+, Playoffs- A
>Great rookie year for Al, his puck moving skills are so sick. Could see him becoming a 1b soon. Did well in relief and in his start in the yoffs.

Coaches:
TMac once again failed to make adjustments when the other coach does. Robinson plays our shit vets more than Vlasic. Don't see how any of the coaches are here next year.

GM:
DW made a terrible mistake not upgrading the defense by the deadline. I'm sure he tried because there's no way a former Norris winning defenseman could think what we iced was Cup worthy. His job is safer than the coaches but he could also be done.

Anyway, sick of thinking about this team right now. A historic choke, unbelievable. Except it is believable. Fuck.

Alright, gonna do my thoughts on the 13-14 Sharks.

Player grades:

Justin Braun: Regular season- A, Playoffs, A-
>Another breakout season guy, Braun has been so amazing for us. He's going to be our legit #3 going forward, just needs to work on his offensive game.

Scott Hannan: Regular season- B, Playoffs- B
>About as solid as you can get for a bottom pairing guy. He gets burned sometimes but is mostly good in his role.

Brad Stuart: Regular season- F, Playoffs- F
>Fucking terrible so fucking terrible WHY IS HE SO TERRIBLE. #2 compliance buyout candidate. Slow, dumb, and probably racist.

Jason Demers: Regular season- B+, Playoffs- D
>Demers had a great season and led our d-core in points. Kept his play simple and his outlet passes rock. Wasn't taking any of the stupid as fuck penalties he was known for either. Then the playoffs come around and he reverts back to his old stupid self. Fingers crossed he chills the fuck out and comes back better than ever next season.

Coaches:
TMac once again failed to make adjustments when the other coach does. Robinson plays our shit vets more than Vlasic. Don't see how any of the coaches are here next year.

Anyway, sick of thinking about this team right now. A historic choke, unbelievable. Except it is believable. Fuck.

Gonna agree with what you mostly said about the others, but some of my thoughts on the above:

Justin Braun: Didn't think he played that well this year and it looked like he still had some lingering hand effects from last season. A lot of passes to nowhere and sketchy puck handling. What I loved about his rookie season was that he always shot the puck from the blue line and it was a fucking hard shot. I haven't seen much of the season.

Scott Hannan: I hate this guy so much. He plays defense like it's 1990's by slashing and hooking the shit out of everyone every time he gets burned by.

Brad Stuart: I have mixed feelings about this guy. Not terrible, but not great. A lot of unfortunate goals come from the puck bouncing off every part of his limb.

Jason Demers: My most hated guy on the Sharks. He'll have flashes of shutting down plays, but for the most part his dumb penalties overshadows the great stuff he has done.

Coach Todd McLellan: What frustrates me about this guy is he only rolls 2-3 forward lines. Not sure what he's telling his players to make adjustments, but it doesn't seem enough. I like the guy though, stern and takes full responsibility for everything.

Larry Robinson: Started to like him early in the season and saw immediate improvements to the PK, but the PP was always the same. Thornton holding onto the puck too long and trying to make pretty cross ice passes through traffic. Not giving the other guys enough opportunities to take charge of the PP unit when Thorntons PP unit aint doing shit.

Tyler Kennedy: Didn't the Sharks get this ManPigBear for "playoff performance"? I think he's an ok player, just didn't fit the Sharks system/team. Has a crazy quick shot. Maybe he was too ugly to play in the Playoffs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Curufinwe

I really feel bad for the Sharks fans. If we had blow that 3-0 series lead against Pittsburgh in 2012 I would have gone insane.

Lol Boyle did the same thing after Lapierre's cheapshot. Weird how these guys expect the players they injured would want to talk to them.
"I just wanted to talk about how much of a boner I got feeling your knee snap against mine"
Maybe they don't expect they would want to talk, but try to reah out and apologize none the less.
I'll never give Cooke the benefit of the doubt. He's probably just trying to keep his reform motif going.

Alright double post but whatever. Seeing as how this is the off-season thread I think it's only appropriate we have a Mario Golf roll call. My copy will be here tomorrow.

Tallon has his poker face on early. I don't believe a word he says about the draft until he is on the podium.

He did mention he was talking to candidates for HC and hinted he was close.

#Neckless

I havent even looked at any draft stuff yet but is there a clear #1 guy this year?

Not really, but as it stands now it is 1A and 1B with Ekblad and Reinhart. Considering our depth at C (Barkov-Bjugstad-Trochek-Pirri-Shore) I doubt Tallon would get Reinhart as a 3C. Ekblad is still my favorite for the #1. Watching and reading a lot on him he is excellent two way but in the latter half this year is really pushing the offense part of his game. He should go back to jrs 1 more year. Then we bring up Matheson at the same time for Matheson-Ekblad HNNNNNGGGG.

Top Bottom