• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

yyzjohn

Banned
Can't believe they drag it out, actually go to arbitration and then cave in lol. What was the entire point of that? They told an arbitrator all his flaws and why he's not worth that money and then a few hours later they sign him. Good for Habs nation even though they did this half assed backwards.

zroid

Banned
At my cousin's wedding in Ottawa.

My aunt decided we should all stay in the same hotel so the rooms were booked together. All I knew was the address and the name "Residence and Conference Centre". Conference centre, eh... That sounds nice. Two bedroom suite? Even better.

Just got here...

... And it's a God Damn student dorm. ALGONQUIN COLLEGE Residence and Conference Centre.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Can't believe they drag it out, actually go to arbitration and then cave in lol. What was the entire point of that? They told an arbitrator all his flaws and why he's not worth that money and then a few hours later they sign him. Good for Habs nation even though they did this half assed backwards.
Bergevin has been a tough negotiator his entire tenure here, seems like he thought that PK & Meehan would cave to his final 8 year offer yesterday. After the meeting, he knew he had no choice but to give him what he wanted.

My aunt decided we should stay in the same hotel so the rooms were booked together. All I knew was the address and the name "Residence and Conference Centre". Conference centre, eh... That sounds nice. Two bedroom suite? Even better.

Just got here...

... And it's a God Damn student dorm. ALGONQUIN COLLEGE Residence and Conference Centre.
:lol :lol at least school is still out

Mentok

Banned

I don't see this as "caving in", they wanted Subban long-term. By all accounts, Subban's camp was looking around 8-8.5 mil for a short deal (one that would see Subban be a UFA, so like 2-3 years). The Habs wanted a long-term commitment, which means they had to pony up more. The way the league's going, his 9mil contract will be on par for the course for big-named players. Hell, look at how many players are in the 7-8 mil range that aren't as talented.

My aunt decided we should all stay in the same hotel so the rooms were booked together. All I knew was the address and the name "Residence and Conference Centre". Conference centre, eh... That sounds nice. Two bedroom suite? Even better.

Just got here...

Welcome to Ottawa! Sucks you're at Algonquin, that area's kind of a drag.

yyzjohn

Banned
I don't see this as "caving in", they wanted Subban long-term. By all accounts, Subban's camp was looking around 8-8.5 mil for a short deal (one that would see Subban be a UFA, so like 2-3 years). The Habs wanted a long-term commitment, which means they had to pony up more. The way the league's going, his 9mil contract will be on par for the course for big-named players. Hell, look at how many players are in the 7-8 mil range that aren't as talented.

Welcome to Ottawa! Sucks you're at Algonquin, that area's kind of a drag.

News was the Habs made an 8 year offer before arbitration and were turned down, most likely due to the fact the money was far less, so yes in the end they did cave. Subban said all along he wanted to commit to the Habs long term. They got it done, but it should have been handled way better than this.

Red_Man

His conference call has been rescheduled until 6 pm.

Hopefully this contract marks the beginning of a new period with Therrien. You can't not use your $9 M player like he used to and he can't bench him anymore either. Time for this team to be handed over to him and for him to be given the responsibility he should have been given before all this crap happened.

Mentok

Banned
News was the Habs made an 8 year offer before arbitration and were turned down, most likely due to the fact the money was far less, so yes in the end they did cave. Subban said all along he wanted to commit to the Habs long term. They got it done, but it should have been handled way better than this.

I agree it should've been handled better. They should've never let it get to the arbitration hearing.

Solo

Most of the time these long ass mega contracts end in tears, but I actually have a good feeling about PK's for 2 reasons:

- he hasn't peaked yet. He's still getting better and I don't think he'll plateau for another few years
- he's so goddamn egotistical, and in this case that's a good thing. He's a guy who wants to win and probably wants his number in the rafters. I don't see him resting on laurels or coasting now

Having said all that, it's nuts that Subban is now the highest paid Habs ever.......he's also the highest paid d-man ever now too, isn't he?

Red_Man

Some quotes from Subban's conference call:

I've always had a healthy relationship with management and Geoff Molson

It was an educational process for me. It was always respectful between the Canadiens and I. I learned a lot

This contract shows how the Canadiens feel about me so people can stop speculating how Canadiens feel towards me

If I could sign a 20 year contract with Montreal I would

A lot of people look at the arbitration hearing as something negative, but I don't see it that way.......there was never any doubt in my mind a deal would get done. Internally, there were no negatives.

I have more respect for Bergevin and Molson now than at any other point in my career after this

On Bergevin:

I'm disappointed in some of the things I heard about him after yesterday, he cares about the players and he cares about me. I really don't want to hear those negative comments towards Bergevin because he did a great job.

On Molson:

His input has been monumental to this whole process getting done

PK brought up his relationship with Molson quite a few times, and mentioned he had many conversations with him. Feels like Molson may have stepped in after the arbitration and forced Bergevin's hand a bit. He also made a point at making it clear there are no hard feelings and that this never went sour regardless of how drawn out it was.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Some quotes from Subban's conference call:

On Bergevin:

On Molson:

PK brought up his relationship with Molson quite a few times, and mentioned he had many conversations with him. Feels like Molson may have stepped in after the arbitration and forced Bergevin's hand a bit. He also made a point at making it clear there are no hard feelings and that this never went sour regardless of how drawn out it was.

Wow, those quotes provide a lot of insight into what happened at the negotiations.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
About damn time they got Subban signed. Seems in line with with Bergevin's contract strategy. Go to arbitration with a lowball offer, sign them to a contract worth more than the player was asking in arbitration.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I kinda like how we went from

"What they won't give Subban his money, pay the man!"

to

"Dayumn that's a lot of money, Habs are idiots!"

I love it!

Solo

It is an overpayment, but that's what it takes to lock your top players up in the modern NHL.

He's making $2.5M MORE than the 2nd highest paid guy on the team, Carey Price.

Red_Man

It's not an over payment at all. New era of contract, everyone trying to use Weber and Doughty etc doesn't work.

pQYaVqp.gif

That breakaway goal against the Bruins in the playoffs is legitimately one of the greatest hockey moments for me personally.

Solo

It's not an over payment at all. New era of contract, everyone trying to use Weber and Doughty etc doesn't work.

He's making more than Crosby. I know the deal was signed in a different "era", but still.

That breakaway goal against the Bruins in the playoffs is legitimately one of the greatest hockey moments for me personally.

If I never see another Habs game in person again, I can still always say I was at that game. I still remember my buddy beside me screaming like he'd been shot at Eller to pass the puck to PK :lol

Red_Man

He's making more than Crosby. I know the deal was signed in a different "era", but still.
His cap hit is higher than Corsby but he's not making more money than him. Also Crosby is signed for 12 years, and signed in a different period of contracts and is at a different position. You can't compare the contracts. Even if you believe he's being overpaid now, he'll be underpaid by year 3-4 with the way the cap is going up.

If I never see another Habs game in person again, I can still always say I was at that game. I still remember my buddy beside me screaming like he'd been shot at Eller to pass the puck to PK :lol
That's a pretty incredible moment to have been at. I lost my shit and made a scene when I watched it, but I would have given anything to have been there. At the BC, playoffs, against the B's and it's PK that gets a breakaway goal. Amazing moment.

Solo

His AAV is higher than Crosby's, it's just that Crosby has a front loaded contract. I'm just saying, I love the guy and glad he's ours for presumably his career now, but I think the reality is you have to pay yopur guys like this or they'll drag you to UFA and get it somewheres else.

And yes, the Bell Centre fucking EXPLODED at that. Most electric sporting moment Ive witnessed.

TrueGrime

Good for PK. I think he deserved it definitely.

In either case, MB has escape the fire and now the owness is on PK to perform at that level!

Red_Man

Just give him the C now. He thrives on the attention, give it to him. He performs every time he steps on the ice and should be a lifer.

Over the past two seasons, 13 #Habs have played min. 300 ES minutes with Subban. Every one had a worse Corsi% without him. Every single one.
That's ridiculous.

ZeroGravity

Bishop said everyone wants a long-term deal, but this is fair. "Think I've still got to prove myself. Don't want to be a one-hit wonder."

Bishop: "I want to be even better this year." Said didn't want to ask for too much, thought it was a "fair deal on both sides."

#TBLightning Bishop said it was a "very smooth" negotiation, didn't want to have contract hanging over his head during season, focus on game
Good guy Bishop, no drama here.

$9 million is a lot of money. I wonder how much this has an effect on getting a deal done with Barrie, he's still got a whole lot to prove. I really hope he doesn't spend much time around O'Reilly. :|

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Just give him the C now. He thrives on the attention, give it to him. He performs every time he steps on the ice and should be a lifer.

I expect it'll either be PK as Captain or they'll go without a C this year and give it to him next year. Pleks is a possibility, but I'm not sure he A) wants the position and B) has the personality for it. Markov has turned down the captaincy before so I don't see him taking it now.

Red_Man

I expect it'll either be PK as Captain or they'll go without a C this year and give it to him next year. Pleks is a possibility, but I'm not sure he A) wants the position and B) has the personality for it. Markov has turned down the captaincy before so I don't see him taking it now.
Prust has done a few interviews and made it sound like a Captain will be chosen. I agree with the Pleks stuff, and I know both him and Markov prefer not to have that spot light on them. PK really is the best option right now, and after giving him this contract, Bergevin & co should be confident enough to hand him the C.

Curufinwe

It is an overpayment, but that's what it takes to lock your top players up in the modern NHL.

He's making $2.5M MORE than the 2nd highest paid guy on the team, Carey Price.

Giroux makes $3m more than Streit. Players that score lots of points will get their money.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Guardians of the galaxy... Just watched it.

After it was finished I regretted not walking out. It had absolutely no plot. Pretty with some charming moments ... Easily the worst movie Marvel Studios has made.

I will have to revisit the movie at a later date to see if it grows on me. The movie doesn't really show you anything and reverts to one sentence explanations as the origins to every character and entity in the movie. Very very little character development.

Sigh...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Dopey gonna Dopey.

I just call it as it is. I was excited to see it since it was announced. I don't go to theatres alone or go on opening weekends, but for this i made an exception.

It was a turd and I LOVED all the previous marvel movies.

Top Bottom