• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get why anyone involved with running a hockey team would ignore advanced stats. They don't tell the whole story obviously, just like normal stats, but why wouldn't you use them in some capacity?

Probably hubris. Guys who follow the Leafs really closely say that this is a front office that sees itself - especially after 12/13 - as the smartest in the business. Hence their incredulity that fans and some media people would think that there are coaches out there who'd do a better job with the team than Carlyle has.

Socreges

Banned
I don't get why anyone involved with running a hockey team would ignore advanced stats. They don't tell the whole story obviously, just like normal stats, but why wouldn't you use them in some capacity?
Because it's difficult for people to admit that they've been wrong and have been behind the curve. You're giving anyone that wants you fired some very good ammunition; ie, you admit you didn't know what you were doing for months.

Got bored and played around with some roster configs on capgeek.

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($1.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Bo Horvat ($0.894m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)
Mike Santorelli ($1.500m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / David Booth ($4.250m)
Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Zac Dalpe ($0.605m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($3.500m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Ryan Stanton ($0.550m)
Yannick Weber ($0.715m) /

GOALTENDERS
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)
Jacob Markstrom ($1.200m)

BUYOUTS
Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.13% of upper limit)
Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,627,500; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,472,500

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So 5 goals 10 assists is all it takes to be a second line wing in Vancouver?

That reminds me, what line does Clarkson play on these days? By these days I obviously don't mean the playoffs, I didn't forget what team signed him.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Clarkson is the new Gomez, the contract other team's fans look to, to make themselves feel better about their shitty contracts.

gaming_noob

Looks like the Leaf's are keeping Carlyle based on Dregers comments again.

"Who is better?"

Fuck this shit.

If Carlyle is kept, then they're going to have to trade a few players....players who don't work well with his system. It most likely means Kulemin is gone too.

Kessel, Kadri, Lupul, Gardiner for Florida's first overall, Bjugstad, Upshall.

Razorskin

----- ------
This needs to be posted on every page.

FS46Ola.gif

Since Trotz wasn't officially sacked this will make him officially a free agent. Surprised really that Lavy jumped on a job before the WCs. Hopefully Tallon follows suit and new a HC shortly.

#Neckless

Samyy

Yes lets keep the hack coach and trade some great players to fit his system sounds like an A+ plan can't wait for mediocrity forever.

Samyy

There is a very realistic chance we finish near bottom 5 anyway with our current roster, it will be very hard for Bernier to replicate his performance this year given how this team plays defence.

I wonder how Lavy will change up the style in Nashville. They don't really have the most high octane offense so it will be interesting to see how they play in a more free form system.

I could see them making a run at a guy like Moulson in free agency.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
There is a very realistic chance we finish near bottom 5 anyway with our current roster, it will be very hard for Bernier to replicate his performance this year given how this team plays defence.

Nope, drive for 9th will be in full effect.

Samyy

wooo

Do you know if he's gotten dressed for the Marlies yet? I know they signed him but I was hoping to see him in these playoffs too.

It is very unlikely any of the OHL players that signed ATO's (Verghage, Herzog, Gauthier or Brown) will see any time at all. I think they all have shots at the team next year and this is just to give them any idea of how the team plays, facilities, etc.

Playoffs aren't a great time to have rookies playing their first games.

Laviolette apparently was heavily involved in recruiting Vinny back in June so maybe he can go to Nashville, too.

It is time to acquire the Jarnkrok, because we need all the centers.

But seriously, it would be great if Lavy still wanted Vinny and Vinny still likes Lavy's approach enough to waive.

Hmmm. Bobo was on air saying that Tallon was waiting to see if Carlyle was toasted in TOR. If Bobo is saying it...

Ducks-GAF tell me about his time as head of the flock.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Hey the drive for 9th in the East would probably still be good enough for bottom 10 in the league!

Connor Brown named OHL player of the year.

Western Canada would like to have a word with you. If this season has shown anything it's that we can beat the Leafs both in being good AND being bad.

Merguson

Banned
So Kypreos thinks there will be changes in the coaching staff. Doesn't know if just the assistants or Carlyle as well.

Also thought there will be a scouting revamp.

gaming_noob

Elliote Friedman:

17. Florida GM Dale Tallon said on Prime Time Sports last week that it's no guarantee the Panthers keep the first-overall selection in June. In a follow-up conversation, he was asked how far down the team would be willing to move. "We'll make the final decision in our scouting meetings, but probably between seven and 10," he said. What would it take for another team to get the top selection? "Also to be determined, but probably a young player who can help us."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2014/05/30-thoughts-sharks-in-rough-waters.html

:eek

Top Bottom