• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
So Kypreos thinks there will be changes in the coaching staff. Doesn't know if just the assistants or Carlyle as well.

Also thought there will be a scouting revamp.

I'm not sure the scouting is that bad. They aren't as good as Sens or pull magic out like Detroit, but when they kept trading their picks, there is only so much youc can do.

Hmmm...wonder where it would go. Maybe he can take a player and next year's first from a team?

Cactus

Banned
I'm not sure the scouting is that bad. They aren't as good as Sens or pull magic out like Detroit, but when they kept trading their picks, there is only so much youc can do

The amateur scouts are fine, but I wouldn't shed a tear if the pro scouts are all replaced.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Wow if true:

Doug Maclean said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Holland and Babcock make a joint decision on Mike leaving. There is too much respect between the two....not a lot of love between Babcock and his players. People think there is, but there isn't. Babcock can't be a lame duck coach

Dreger mentioned last night how the relationship between Babcock and the Wing players may have run its course as well.

say what you want about Laviolette, he gave the Canes a Cup and lead the Flyers to the Finals with 2 goalies getting injured during the playoffs

Var

"The #Flyers will hold a press conference today at 11:30 a.m. to announce front office promotions."

Is it happening finally?

Edit: damn it Jello.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Frank Seravalli @DNFlyers

#Flyers have called a press conference for 11:30am to promote Ron Hextall to GM and Paul Holmgren to president.

IT'S HAPPENING!

First order of Hexy's rule. Get rid of that MacDonald contract.

Curufinwe

IT'S HAPPENING!

First order of Hexy's rule. Get rid of that MacDonald contract.

For all we know Hextall was the guy behind it. It's so funny hearing people go on about the MacDonald contract when two years ago guys like Wideman and Carle got even more money per season. Second pairing guys getting $5 million+ per season is nothing new.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
For all we know Hextall was the guy behind it. It's so funny hearing people go on about the MacDonald contract when two years ago guys like Wideman and Carle got even more money per season. Second pairing guys getting $5 million+ per season is nothing new.

...that is a possibility.

But MacDonald isn't a second pairing. He's a best at third pairing.

..or really should be playing in the AHL because he blows.

Also, I really couldn't see any other team paying him that much/that length of a contract.

Samyy

Everything about Macdonald, especially his advanced stats, show him to be nothing more then an okay #5/6.

If he's on your second pairing it speaks volumes about:
1) Your team's ability to judge talent.
2) Your depth at D.

Of course the Leafs suck at this too so I'm not trying to say anything bad about the Flyers, but its sad that teams refuse to embrace stats that can help them identify bad players so that they don't end up paying them shit tons of money.

Curufinwe

...that is a possibility.

But MacDonald isn't a second pairing. He's a best at third pairing.

Him and Streit were a much better second pairing than Streit and Grossmann when they got to play together. And he led the Flyers in ES TOI/G during the regular season playing on all three pairings at different times, and we were a better team for it. If we hadn't traded for him and kept Meszaros we wouldn't have made the playoffs.

He struggled against the Rangers but so did a guy as good as Couturier. They both seemed worn down by a very long season. During the regular season while playing for the Flyers MacDonald's Corsi numbers were not bad considering he spent most of his time playing with Luke Schenn and the often terrible second and fourth lines. The only defensemen who played with lower quality teammates was Gus.

Wow if true:
coaches have a shelf life unless you have a ton of player turnover. i would have never predicted Babcock to be the wings coach for more than a decade, so leaving after next season makes sense, especially if they want to keep Blashill.

there are rumors Babcock wants to coach UofM, and he's already mentioned being the assistant coach to Red Berenson there. I could see multiple NHL teams throwing him insane $, though.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
coaches have a shelf life unless you have a ton of player turnover. i would have never predicted Babcock to be the wings coach for more than a decade, so leaving after next season makes sense, especially if they want to keep Blashill.

there are rumors Babcock wants to coach UofM, and he's already mentioned being the assistant coach to Red Berenson there. I could see multiple NHL teams throwing him insane $, though.

Leafs would throw all of the money at him.

Merguson

Banned

Supposedly Babcock wants an extension now. Otherwise, he wants to leave. Doesn't want to be a "lame-duck coach" with one year left on his contract.

Curufinwe

Hextall saying all the right things about hanging on to picks, carefully developing players, and building around homegrown talent.

Lol... Homer joked that Hextall has a Flyers tattoo on his ass.

Supposedly Babcock wants an extension now. Otherwise, he wants to leave. Doesn't want to be a "lame-duck coach" with one year left on his contract.
he's been quoted specifically saying that he's ok with going year-to-year for now:

Babcock said he'd be content to work on a year-to-year contract and even joked he might become Red Berenson's assistant coach at the University of Michigan.

"I'm real comfortable with the owner and the manager; that's not a concern for me one bit," Babcock said. "When you're at the stage of your career that I am, I'm real comfortable with whatever they want. I want them to be happy. If they're not happy then I'm not happy. I have no problem. I can go year to year.

"I know Scotty Bowman went year to year sometime here and I'm real comfortable with that. I can get a job. I'm not worried about that. The owner is better than great to me. They do things right. They treat people right. The GM is a driven guy who can't stand losing and I like to be around ultracompetitive people."

Merguson

Banned
he's been quoted specifically saying that he's ok with going year-to-year for now:

Oh, interesting. Some of the analysts were saying otherwise. Babcock also has a history of doing the same thing with the Ducks. He didn't want to take the one-year extension Burke was offering.

Quit trying to take Babs from us guys!!!!

Take Holland instead

Edit: Apparently Babs in a recent interview with NHL.com mentioned that Backman (AKA: Lidstom V2) is someone they would like to have on the team next year and apparently he is really making a case for himself with his play with the Griffins right now. Also, can these playoffs get over so we can get to the draft/FA signings instead? I want to see Holland re-sign Cleary.

Curufinwe

Hextall: "Tell me one young player who was hurt with time in the AHL. I can tell you hundreds and hundreds that were hurt too soon in NHL."

Hextall on analytics: "That's where we're going. It's going to be a huge part of what we do going forward."

Daniel Traittersson, coach killer.

Eh, at least he also killed your team for last season too.

Hextall: "Tell me one young player who was hurt with time in the AHL. I can tell you hundreds and hundreds that were hurt too soon in NHL."

Hextall on analytics: "That's where we're going. It's going to be a huge part of what we do going forward."

Hextall with the Holland over-ripening approach!

Samyy

article_832bb086-c002-44dc-82f8-ccca59dde4d2.png

article_94a16f5a-364c-48a1-971e-6b9d7ff09c15.png

Gardiner is too valuable for us to lose.....

Top Bottom