• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Silexx

"@LukePeristy: Meanwhile, in early July, the Leafs outbid Ottawa for Steve Ott, forcing the Sens to settle for Nikolai Kulemin."

Quick

Banned
"@LukePeristy: Meanwhile, in early July, the Leafs outbid Ottawa for Steve Ott, forcing the Sens to settle for Nikolai Kulemin."

giphy.gif

Steve Ott needs to return to Satan's toilet.

Merguson

Banned
To complete the saga, the Leafs will fire Carlyle mid-season.

We'll bring in a new coach and everyone will hate him.

Rinse and repeat.

Stet

Banned
This is great news. Now Carlyle won't be bogged down with assistant coaches who may not subscribe to his singular unified vision of a world consumed by fire and brimstone and its people eternally raped by demons.

yyzjohn

Banned
How do we stay as fans? How? It's like the organization is purposely trying to fucking rid themselves of any fans. I really need some crack.

I hate the notion that Carlyle winning a Stanley Cup automatically means he's a good coach and the right coach for the Leafs.

You know who else won a Cup? John Tortorella.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
MOTHERFUCKING SHANAPLANS!!!

START THE CHANT!!! HE'LL BE GONE BEFORE THE END OF THE SEASON!

I would assume they out him on a pretty short leash, and I wonder how much that playoff round last year factored in.

Or, maybe it's the ultimate plan to get McDavid and then ruin him a la Daigle.

This is pretty fucking amazing.

Shanahan's *first* significant move is to not only keep Carlyle, but extend the idiot for another 2 years.

Sure, the extension is really just the golden parachute - but is Shanahan that dumb not to realize what kind of message this sends to the fans?

Samyy

Because we've been doing that for the last five years?
Carlyle & mgmt hate Kadri and Gardiner, they'll be chased out ala Grabo and MacArthur or Carlyle will try to turn them into what he thinks they should be and they'll suck.

They are not Carlyle style players and this is now his team, think more Clarksons and less anyone talented.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
This is pretty fucking amazing.

Shanahan's *first* significant move is to not only keep Carlyle, but extend the idiot for another 2 years.

Sure, the extension is really just the golden parachute - but is Shanahan that dumb not to realize what kind of message this sends to the fans?

You're expressing surprise that Shanahan's decisions may send the wrong message to people? After his body of work over the last few years?

Merguson

Banned
Carlyle & mgmt hate Kadri and Gardiner, they'll be chased out ala Grabo and MacArthur or Carlyle will try to turn them into what he thinks they should be and they'll suck.

But they've indicated, and demonstrated in previous trades (Schenn-JVR), that they are only interested in youth in return.

I don't have any reason to believe otherwise. Unless they decided to start the veterans acquisitions now.

You're expressing surprise that Shanahan's decisions may send the wrong message to people? After his body of work over the last few years?

I didn't think he'd stumble this badly in his first move.

90% of the fan reaction I've seen/heard thus far has been overwhelmingly negative. I can't recall another staffing decision this unpopular with Leafs fans.

Quick

Banned
It's one thing for him staying another season, sure. But another thing to sign him to a 3-year extension.

But I feel like he won't finish that contract, and the management's lining it up as a nice severance package. He could end up getting the Ron Wilson treatment.

yyzjohn

Banned
So Shanahan's plan is to tank?

Tanking is only good if you're dead last and get McDavid. There's no way the Leafs are the worst team in the league, so that's not an option. We're just bad enough to not make the playoffs. Especially with the "system" that Carlyle plays. Holy fuck.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

McKenzie's right, whatever goodwill the Leafs org had earned with the Shanahan hire - and whatever the fans had toward Shanahan - is spent now.

omg Nonis is actually saying this was done because the Leafs played well for 48 games last year.

omg2 he's talking about Carlyle's successes in Anaheim

omg3 now he's saying that the coaches were responsible for the team 'running out of gas' because they had them playing too well on a Western road trip

Montresor

So Leiweke, Nonis, Shanahan, ownership, all of them are pretty much some of the worst decision makers in pro sports.

That piece of shit Leiweke is already planning a cozy retirement in California, isn't he? He talked quite a big game about not realizing the Leafs needed fixing, about bringing in players who can perform under pressure.

Well the players we have are perennial fucking losers that have no chance of playing any meaningful hockey after, say, 55 NHL games. Our coach is a gigantic jerk that thinks collapsing and allowing 50 shots per game and playing without any semblance of a cycle or decent possession is acceptable. And our terrible GM trades away 2nd round picks like candy. How are we going to grab gems like Bergeron, Subban, etc... without 2nd rounders? Our terrible GM got rid of a good possession player like Grabovski and spent it on a worth-less-than-nothing scrub like Clarkson. Oh, you wanted to be a Leaf since you were a kid, Clarkie? Wendel was your hero growing up? Here's a nice 7-year, $35million+ retirement package for doing fuck-all, a nice reward for scoring 20 points a season. Our terrible GM lets heart-and-soul pests like Komarov leave for nothing - who needs Komarov when we have "20-goal scorer" Wendel Clarkson? Our terrible GM lets MacArthur walk for nothing - I think we could have used his passion and skill this year, no? Our terrible GM basically subtracted Grabo, My Liege, and Komarov and replaced them with pure garbage forwards (Bolland included, made-of-glass scrub is asking for $5million a year? FUCK OFF). And we wonder why we are terrible year after year? Our terrible GM gave one of the worst, most overpaid captains in the league a $7million, 7-year extension? Good grief.

This is it for the foreseeable future. We are betting all our chips, going all in with this group of underachieving, incompetent blowhards. Our players suck, our coaches suck, and our management team sucks. Our alleged "saviour", Leiweke... his first significant move to "fix the Leafs" is to bring in a half-retarded former player who thinks there is nothing wrong with our players, our coaches, or management and to appoint him President Of Hockey Operations. Great job. Bravo.

Is Leiweke done patting his greasy back for "fixing" the Raptors? One first-round exit and he's "fixed" the Raptors? God forbid the Leafs stumble into the playoffs on the back of a huge lucky streak (opponents choking, opponents with major injuries, etc...). I'm sure Leiweke will declare the Leafs are "fixed" once they give MLSE 2 more playoff games of revenue. Then he'll cozy up in California, leave the cold bitter winters of Toronto forever, wipe his hands and declare a job well done.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just saw the Carlyle news......

ibvNNFAiGcDDn6.gif

ibvNNFAiGcDDn6.gif

ibvNNFAiGcDDn6.gif

So good. Although I do feel bad for my bros in Leafs-Age......how could management be this stupid?

zroid

Banned
Listening to Steve Simmons defend Carlyle on TSN1050 because it's easier to rage when you have something tangible to direct it at

Merguson

Banned
To be fair with the second round picks, we drafted Blacker, Ryan, Ross and Finn with them.

We need good scouts first. Otherwise, trade them all. We'll end up better off.

Samyy

Uhhh
Finn is highly touted though.
And Blacker is doing really well in the Duck's system, you know, after getting some ice-time.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Leafs using the 48 game season as a base for their expectations and systems is the most Leafs thing ever.

I want to laugh, but I know a four year extension for Therrien is sitting on Bergevin's desk.
Honestly, after seeing him change things up in the playoffs, I'm expecting it and am okay with it. Aside from using Murray, pretty much every coaching decision he's made in the post season has been a great one and he's kept up with both Cooper and Julien. I'm officially no longer on the #FireTherrien wagon, even if we lose this round.

Top Bottom