• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, after seeing him change things up in the playoffs, I'm expecting it and am okay with it. Aside from using Murray, pretty much every coaching decision he's made in the post season has been a great one and he's kept up with both Cooper and Julien. I'm officially no longer on the #FireTherrien wagon, even if we lose this round.

It just feels like he's no longer holding players like Subban and Eller back instead of actively coaching them to be better, but I guess it's a step in the right direction.

I still feel like I'm seeing the bottom pairing too often, but then again Emelin is really inconsistent.

Merguson

Banned
Finn is supposed to be a gem pick, a smooth defenseman, no?

This is the Leafs we're talking about. He's already a bust.

In all seriousness, we might have the biggest scouting budget in the NHL. Why haven't we produced more NHLers? Obviously it takes patience but the last time we produced more than one full-time NHLer was 2006.

Just saw the Carlyle news......

Well it's good news for fans of other teams in the NE division I guess, a playoff spot will be opening up in February/march as the 18 wheeler starts heading for the edge of the cliff.

I don't even have it in me to do a LOLeafs for this ... seems no wonder who's in charge in Toronto it's the same WTF decisions made by the "braintrust".

Shanahan should do a video explaining the 2 year extension, that'd be worth watching.

OT: Fuck I loving having Google Play Music all-access in Canada, friggin' CRTC finally removed its head from its ass for a second.

Montresor

I think there are only five decent assets in the Leafs organization: Kessel, JVR, Rielly, Gardiner, Bernier. The only truly elite person there is Kessel. Everyone else (players, prospects, scouting staff, coaching staff, management, owners) range from mediocre to beyond terrible at their job. I know I said Finn was supposed to be a good prospect but we were ranked 29th out of 30th in prospect rankings.... =(

Samyy

I think there are only five decent assets in the Leafs organization: Kessel, JVR, Rielly, Gardiner, Bernier. The only truly elite person there is Kessel. Everyone else (players, prospects, scouting staff, coaching staff, management, owners) range from mediocre to beyond terrible at their job. I know I said Finn was supposed to be a good prospect but we were ranked 29th out of 30th in prospect rankings.... =(

We're ranked that low in prospect rankings because we do not have a single prospect that you could call remotely elite.

Finn is great, but that generally translate to "2nd pairing potential", our D depth is good, but again - they all project to be 2nd/3rd pairing guys. We do not have a single forward with elite top six potential, closest thing is Leivo which is kinda pathetic.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I don't comprehend how they can keep him on. After he's openly said he doesn't know how to address the teams problems and he coached them through their collapse this year. Unreal.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Well it's good news for fans of other teams in the NE division I guess, a playoff spot will be opening up in February/march as the 18 wheeler starts heading for the edge of the cliff.

I don't even have it in me to do a LOLeafs for this ... seems no wonder who's in charge in Toronto it's the same WTF decisions made by the "braintrust".

Shanahan should do a video explaining the 2 year extension, that'd be worth watching.

OT: Fuck I loving having Google Play Music all-access in Canada, friggin' CRTC finally removed its head from its ass for a second.

I've listened to more albums in the last three days than I have the year to date thanks to all-access.

Cake Boss

Banned
Burrows-Turris-Mackinnon
Hodgson-Kadri-Brouwer
Chimera-Scheifele-Ward
Huberdeau-Schenn-Read
Monohan

#1 CENTER KYLE TURRIS!!!

That 1-2 Center position is a preview for the Sens roster for next season :p
Spezza for Kadri

Hey Cake Boss what's worse? 2 years of Carlyle or 2 years of Chris Phillips?

FS46Ola.gif

OR

crosbybreakschrisphillips.gif

hahaha in Ontario united we stand ROFL

calder

Fuck it, I'm excited for the Worlds. And obviously Shuffles will be #1 C by the time they start the gold medal game - which they'll win 4-3 over Sweden.

Next season will be fascinating. Bernier is all but guaranteed to regress and have a save percentage between 910 and 915, which means if the Leafs give up as many shots as they did this past season they will be bottom 5 in goals against.

I don't comprehend how they can keep him on. After he's openly said he doesn't know how to address the teams problems and he coached them through their collapse this year. Unreal.

Friedman (sigh) has opined that this is Shanahan deciding to keep things as is while he assembles his own front office and coaching staff. Hopefully this means Nonis is under clear orders not to trade away the youth - and if has to, it's a youth for youth trade (ie, JVR for Schenn).

Samyy

Next season will be fascinating. Bernier is all but guaranteed to regress and have a save percentage between 910 and 915, which means if the Leafs give up as many shots as they did this past season they will be bottom 5 in goals against.

We already are tho

PJRTzv1.png

If the goalie guess worse we are a bottom 5 team hopefully!

gaming_noob

From HFBoards:

So Dreger said Leafs will be looking to bring in some veteran players upfront and defensively. Any guesses at who we may target? Maybe Willie Mitchell? Stephane Robidas would have been a good 1, but not likely anymore after his injury.

Carlyle AND the team's getting older? Too much

zroid

Banned
Brad Stuart and Joe Thornton. The veteran leadership the Leafs need in this time of turmoil.

Leafs need that veteran leadership and the Shorks need the character and grit that can take a team deep in the 'yoffs. Davey Clarkson's your man.

hahaha in Ontario united we stand ROFL

- Head coach living off a 48 game season
- Team relying on exceptional goaltending
- Questions at 1C
- Expensive underperforming winger
- Weak defence
- Awful ownership

We already are tho

And that was with Bernier posting exceptional numbers.

Carlyle AND the team's getting older? Too much

OTOH, the team needed veterans this year - especially with the h/c having zero credit with the players.

Acid08

Banned
Leafs need that veteran leadership and the Shorks need the character and grit that can take a team deep in the 'yoffs. Davey Clarkson's your man.
Oh no, we couldn't possibly take the Leafs' character and grit, it's too important to your team. We'll take the young troublemakers like Gardiner and Kadri, guys that disrupt the room with their youthful exuberance.

There have to be a couple GMs out there who think that Clarkson just needs a change in scenery.

Unfortunately, I doubt Nonis is capable of finding out who they are.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
There has to be a couple GMs out there who think that Clarkson just needs a change in scenery.

Unfortunately, I doubt Nonis is capable of finding out who they are.

I could see somebody take him at ~4m if the Leafs eat some salary, but even then they probably have to take some other shitty player in return.

Tanking is only good if you're dead last and get McDavid. There's no way the Leafs are the worst team in the league, so that's not an option. We're just bad enough to not make the playoffs. Especially with the "system" that Carlyle plays. Holy fuck.

Yet. Just wait till they trade Kadri for a 3rd round pick and a stay-at-home defenceman.

Smash88

Banned
I am baffled. I actually feel fucking bad that MLSE is returning to these bullshit calls.

2 years extension... I like to poke fun at the Leafs, but this is getting absurd. Almost JFJ level of absurd.

Top Bottom