• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

That gif is so depressing.

I've never been a Thornton fan but I agree, the despair on his face is haunting and I'd be happy never to see that gif ever again.

Extremely good player, but he just cannot elevate his game in the playoffs. The loss is on the whole team, but SJ really is gonna have to figure out what to do with him. He's never going to win a Cup as a #1 or even #2 center. Maybe towards the twilight of his career when he's not making much money he will be able to hop on a team on the cusp and push them over the top on the third or fourth line, that's the only way I see him doing it.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
I thought burrows contract was considered ok no? Guy had a terrible year sure but who didn't lol I'm not surprised about the other torts stuff.

Quick

Banned
Can't watch it until the weekend. I really wanted to see it day one. Not that I'd be waiting long, I'll probably watch it on Saturday.

Razorskin

----- ------
Elbow from hell

ow10yq9.gif

Quincey losing his helmet before the hit certainly doesn't help.

Most interesting thing there is Burns moving back to defense. That already makes the task of upgrading our D much easier. Leaves a huge hole in the top six though.

Meh. I know we got him for D, but I always felt he didn't live up to the hype being on D. He only seemed to have an impact when he got moved up. Now we're going to put him back? I'd rather get rid of him than put him back.

I wonder what the Wild could get for Kyle Brodziak at the draft?

Maybe Edmonton makes a play for him? They originally had him. Brodziak + 4th for Edmonton 2nd.

Plz.

Acid08

Banned
Meh. I know we got him for D, but I always felt he didn't live up to the hype being on D. He only seemed to have an impact when he got moved up. Now we're going to put him back? I'd rather get rid of him than put him back.
With Boyle leaving there's a hole on the right side and none of our prospects are good enough to step up. We already have to take care of the left side, moving Burns back immediately takes care of our right side problem and is a big upgrade over Boyle. If he just doesn't work out they can always trade him during the season.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
That was fucking awesome. That climax made my inner child die. My only disappointment in the movie was the fact that
There were only the MUTOs in the movie , I thought there were suppose to be other beasts like that giant worm?
. Regardless, it was fantastic for a monster movie, and I hated Pacific Rim for context. Godzillas roar in the theater is pretty awesome.

zroid

Banned
Latvia's 5th goal against USA (Girgensons) was amazing. He was tripped on the rush and shot the puck in while basically lying on his side.

Acid08

Banned
From DW, the major injuries:

Brent Burns – torn thumb ligament

Tomas Hertl – right knee “wasn’t all the way back” from original injury

Patrick Marleau – torn wrist ligament, oblique tear

Joe Pavelski – torn labrum in shoulder (has since had surgery)

Raffi Torres – had knee injected to play in the playoffs, underwent postseason “cleanup procedure”

Marc-Edouard Vlasic – upper body injury, knee injury

Quote from Boyle on leaving:

Bnt2VsyCMAAvHZD.png

Boyler :(

Acid08

Banned
Wilson also acknowledged that as bad as this season's exit was--blowing a 3-0 series lead to the Kings and being eliminated in seven games—it was merely connected to a trend. The Sharks, for all of their regular season success, have now lost four of their last five playoff series going back to the Western Conference finals defeat by Vancouver in 2011.

In the past, while making minor tweaks, Wilson has defended the Sharks' blueprint of "refresh and reset." But on Thursday, he used words he has not spoken before in relation to the team. He used the word "rebuilding" in terms of the months ahead. He used the word "cultural" in terms of why the Sharks have come up short so often.

Folks, you don't have to reading between the blue lines to read what this all means. Thornton and Marleau will be 35 before the start of next season. Stuart will be 35 in November. Niemi will be 31 in August. It will be interesting to see where Joe Pavelski, who turns 30 in July, fits into the package. Wilson affirmed that many of the veterans do have trade-restriction clauses in their current contracts, including the three-year extensions signed by Thornton and Marleau last winter, but said there are "flexibilities and windows" in all the deals.

Something tells me this team won't be super competitive next year.

Red_Man

Something tells me this team won't be super competitive next year.
There would have to be a major fuck up for them to not remain competitive. You can retool without diving in the stands. Niemi should be gone first, and foremost.

Acid08

Banned
There would have to be a major fuck up for them to not remain competitive. You can retool without diving in the stands. Niemi should be gone first, and foremost.
DW has never uttered the word "rebuilding" before. His language is completely different from the "retool and refresh" mantra from the lockout year when we got rid of Clowe and Murray. If Marleau and Thornton are gone it leaves a big hole in offensive production that I don't think will be replaced this season. They may make the playoffs but I'm not gonna hold my breath for a contender.

Fortunately we do have this solid younger core going forward. I hope DW can work some magic.

Red_Man

If he makes the right moves and gets the right pieces back, they could retool and be back to contender status within 1-2 years easily. All depends on what kind of market is out there for older guys of that calibre. It's hard to guess what they could bring in.

Acid08

Banned
If he makes the right moves and gets the right pieces back, they could retool and be back to contender status within 1-2 years easily. All depends on what kind of market is out there for older guys of that calibre. It's hard to guess what they could bring in.
They're signed to good contracts too. None of that long term garbage, might help in getting them moved for closer to their actual value.

Red_Man

Take Murray back before Bergevin can resign him, we'll give you a 2nd round pick and Louis Lebust.

Top Bottom