• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Quick

Banned
Saw Godzilla last night. Enjoyed it.

giphy.gif

pringles

Baby Wings are done. :(

Oh well, at least they won it this year. Team is still good though, just a bad series for them.
I was hoping Mantha would get to play a few games with them, sucks. But Texas seems to be a great team and GR lost Marchenko and Almqvist which hurt a lot.

Offseason pretty much officially underway now, just have Val dOr Manthas to cheer for in the Memorial Cup.

K guys, prediction time.

What big names or semi-big names are going to be moved this off season?

I'm going to guess Spezza, Dustin Brown, and James Neal are all moved this off-season. Anybody got any other predictions?

Acid08

Banned
Tony Marinaro(some TSN guy?) is saying that Larry Robinson signed a three year deal with the Sharks. Said it's not to be a behind the bench coach though. DW did talk about expanding his role, guess he'll be more of a front office, big picture kind of guy. It's good news, glad he's sticking around. I hope he does continue to get hands on time with defensemen though, he did wonders for Demers and Braun.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
K guys, prediction time.

What big names or semi-big names are going to be moved this off season?

I'm going to guess Spezza, Dustin Brown, and James Neal are all moved this off-season. Anybody got any other predictions?

Who would take Brown? And why would LA move him? Don't see that happening. Spezza is likely.

Yes plz. My best guesses for target are Pens (new owner + early exit = better offer hopefully?), Ducks (early exit) and Leafs (no playoffs, no #1 C.

I just want us to move our pieces while they still have value. Kesler this offseason, Edler either now or at the deadline, he might fetch a better price if he recovers from the abysmal last season. Maybe Garrison/Bieksa, too. Hamhuis could fetch a ton for a team that needs a #1 D. Don't see us trading away any big offensive pieces.

I think Roman Josi, Niemi, Pavelski and Skinner get moved.

Josi plz. He's awesome. Josi-Tanev shutdown pairing for the next 8 years.

Don't we say that every time though? I'd love for nothing more than Kane to come back home, I've said that numerous times :(

Should have packaged Forsberg with some other forwards for him :(

Fucking McPhee.

Trade our most valuable prospect for another top 6 skill winger on the downturn of his career!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Would absolutely LOVE Josi but he'll be expensive and the Preds have no reason to trade him.

The pairing of him&Weber was basically the only thing the Perds had going for them all season (and Seth Jones not busting), so I don't see them trading him either, sadly.

ZeroGravity

If the Preds want to change the dynamic of their team and become more offensive...yeah, I could see them doing it. Got to give to get.

Washington needs to move on from Ovie, that +/- is killing them
Pittsburgh needs cap space and players, Malkin should be moved

Ovi is never getting traded and Malkin should never be moved, move Letang.

I'd trade Crosby before Malkin personally.

I wonder what San Jose would give up for Mike Green.

Ovi is never getting traded and Malkin should never be moved, move Letang.

I'd trade Crosby before Malkin personally.

And TSN needs things to talk about, they'll have 5 channels next year...FIVE....and no national NHL games....

I could see Pittsburgh dumping a lot of "key" players this off-season and making room for a guy like Kane. Letang, Neal, and Fleury via trade and Orpik + others through free agency. Don't know who they'd specifically trade for Kane but I could definitely see it happen.

Who would take Brown? And why would LA move him? Don't see that happening. Spezza is likely.

Didn't Buffalo really, really want Callahan in free agency/the trade at the deadline earlier? As a former Captain who can lead the team through a rebuild?

It seems to me that Callahan will stay in Tampa, and if he does I could see Buffalo making a run for Brown. From my limited viewings - and call me out if I'm wrong - it seems like Brown had a lackluster regular season and has seen a lesser role as the year went on and they got guys like Gaborik. He makes plays that is making his team pay and it seems like a guy like Kopitar or Doughty is ready for the Captaincy. Buffalo and Los Angeles have already made a trade or two in the last year or so, so it seems to me that they are alright trading partners.

Alexander Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, Dion Phaneuf

Pittsburgh won't trade Malkin after he pretty much carried the team in the playoffs and Crosby shit the bed. Ovechkin I doubt gets moved but who knows. Phaneuf is most likely but I still don't think it will happen.

Some people on hfboards Wild have thrown Green's name around a few times. I'm not 100% opposed to the deal but I just think that it would have to be cheap. Like two good-but-not-great prospects + maybe a 3rd rounder or something.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently Steve Spott will be an assistant coach for the Leafs next year, and DJ Smith (coaches the Generals) will be the Marlies coach.

Hah, I guess they didn't want to make a Eakins 2.0. I wonder how much influence he'll have and if he could take over. It's not a position I envy though; if Nonis is let go and Carlyle follows, whomever takes over may not want Spott as a head coach or even as an assistant.

Merguson

Banned
Apparently Steve Spott will be an assistant coach for the Leafs next year, and DJ Smith (coaches the Generals) will be the Marlies coach.

Seems strange. Spott had the opportunity to be an assistant to DeBoer with the Devils (when DeBoer was hired) but he preferred to stay and be the head coach of the Rangers. I thought he would prefer to be a head coach instead of an assistant.

If it's true, won't hear anything official until the Marlies playoff run is over, I imagine. He would help with inserting Marlies into the pro roster and know how to play them.

ZeroGravity

Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford 1m
BREAKING: #stblues announce three-year contract extension for Brian Elliott, meaning Ryan Miller will be moving on.
Not unexpected, I guess.

Three years, $7.5 million for Elliot.

.@jprutherford: BREAKING: #stblues announce three-year contract extension for Brian Elliott, meaning Ryan Miller will be moving on.

Miller will be UFA. Shorks maybe?

Edit: fuck you zero!

Top Bottom