• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Gross. I'm not a Vancouver fan but I hope they go with someone else. This feels like the Aquilinis are still reacting to 2011.

He's supposed to be good at drafting, though the Canucks have been so abysmal anyone would be better.

I don't think they'll go full Boston since their roster isn't built for that (at least until the Sedins retire) but they'll aim for a balanced lineup.

CREMSteve

Gaudreau doing freakish things in today's game against the Germans.

853700807.gif
853704722.gif
e49x34
e49zj9

Man, I love this guy.

. @GeorgeRichards: Actually was just told he is back. So hopefully something gets done soon. “@LuisBrunson: Is Dale back from Europe yet? #FlaPanthers”

¡DALÉ! This coach search should be wrapping up soon.

The Callahan interest seemed driven by speculation from the fans and sometimes the media, but it fit a logical narrative. The team could use someone like him, and he's a local. I don't believe they were persuing him at the deadline, but I'd expect them to make a solid offer this offseason.

Brown, actually, is also from the area (Ithaca is more central NY, but close enough). As much of a cunt Brown is, he's actually a good player near his prime that the team could build around. He'd certainly be an upgrade over pretty much every forward on the team right now.

I'm not sure what happened to Dustin Brown. He's been relegated to less playing time and he hasn't contributed much. There speculation he's someone the Kings will try to get rid of in the summer.

Giggzy

Did he get rewarded with that contract before or after the cup win? He had a decent year during that run but was playing above his abilities I think. Why you would offer that money to him is insane

Merguson

Banned
Trade Brown to the Sharks. The Sharks can finally have a captain who has led a team to the finals.

A real American hero for an American team.

Samyy

Did he get rewarded with that contract before or after the cup win? He had a decent year during that run but was playing above his abilities I think. Why you would offer that money to him is insane

Because grit, tenacity blah blah blah blah are incredibly overvalued in the NHL
Its exactly why Clarkson got the contract he did, apparently he was even offered more from Edmonton and Ottawa too.

Just needed more action sequences. Seriously, that
whole deal with the kid from the train was just duuuuuuuuumb. As were many other things.

Pacific Rim 2 pls thx

The kid on the train thing was one sequence. Maybe that's why it didn't bother me so much. Had it been a recurring thing, or had he been around longer, then I might've felt worse about it.

I don't know why, but every time I've seen that PR, it's dropped a bit more.

Because grit, tenacity blah blah blah blah are incredibly overvalued in the NHL
Its exactly why Clarkson got the contract he did, apparently he was even offered more from Edmonton and Ottawa too.

And this leads to the next pressing NHL Off-Season Question:

Which desperate GM throws 6m/8yrs at Ryan Callahan?

What has he done? I don't follow this asshole's career.

He won a Cup. He didn't really screw over his team. I'm joking about that. But he did sign an 8 year contract at $5.75million per year just last year and hasn't played up to expectations. He probably peaked well before he signed the contract.

8 year contract starts after this season ends. Maybe that's why they're shopping him. Right now he is a $3.175m hit

Probably expected a 50-60 point player. 20-25 goals.

This year has 15 goals 12 assists. Decent in the playoffs though.

The Callahan interest seemed driven by speculation from the fans and sometimes the media, but it fit a logical narrative. The team could use someone like him, and he's a local. I don't believe they were persuing him at the deadline, but I'd expect them to make a solid offer this offseason.

Brown, actually, is also from the area (Ithaca is more central NY, but close enough). As much of a cunt Brown is, he's actually a good player near his prime that the team could build around. He'd certainly be an upgrade over pretty much every forward on the team right now.

The whole "So and so is a player who's hometown is team X and he'll sign there on July 1st" rarely pans out that way.

What would be a ideal off-season for your team? This is short of trading for Crosby or things like that, think free agents, lesser players through trade (not marquee).

I'd be happy if the Avs re-signed O'reilly at 6, Stastny at 5.5. Sign Niskanen for around 5 and I'd be pretty happy, though he'd probably get more than that wherever he ends up .

O'reilly-Duchene-McGinn
Landeskog-Stastny-MacKinnon
Tanguay-Hishon-Parenteau
McLeod-Mitchell-Talbot

Niskanen-Johnson
Hejda-Barrie
Holden-Eliott

Other names that would be nice would be Nikitin, maybe Markov for a couple years. It probably wouldn't happen as he would want to sign with a real contender, but Iginla would be awesome, we'd have to trade PAP to make room.

Anyway, iterested in what you guys would like to see on your teams.

Hahahaha I just met Mike Babcock in the bayward market.

Crazed am cry, will post pic once I get home.

Nice, did he tell you that your prized Swedish D-man is coming to Detroit too in a trade that will see you guys ending up with Kyle Quincey's rights?

Shit forgot there was a game. Shore apparently had an amazing SHG. I need to find this.

Huby still beastin I see.

853701601.gif

Daaaaaaaaaasaaaayyyyyyyuuuuuuuummmmmmm

That move is fun to use in drop in because kids don't expect it, also trying to shoot behind your back is a pain, Datsyuk and Bert made it look way too easy.

Cake Boss

Banned
Wtf is he doing there?

What did you say to him?

I just hi! Mike Babcock?? Shook his hand, can I take a pic and my girl took a pic of us and thats it.

He was with another guy, it looked like he was looking for a place to eat.

Edit: I felt bad for him cuz he has to go to Ottawa for some food, Detroit must be in bad shape.

How's the image for the Caps looking?

10. Boston's Peter Chiarelli might be getting lonely. It would be no surprise if he lost Benning and several sources indicate another valuable member of his staff, Don Sweeney, interviewed in Washington. (Chiarelli declined to comment).

11. Didn't expect to hear much about the Capitals until after the NBA Wizards were eliminated, which happened late last week to Indiana. There were a lot of conflicting rumours about their openings, but Sweeney was interviewed and it sounds like Nashville's Paul Fenton was too. (Glenn Healy reported last week Fenton also met with the Canucks). Of course, Shero's availability alters everything. If he'd stayed in Pittsburgh and Bylsma was out, the belief was Shero would chase Barry Trotz, since they worked together in Nashville. It sure makes sense for Washington, but as I write this, there is no evidence it is close to reality.

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke now

Kypreos "we heard that Trotz was interviewing in Washington today"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke now

Kypreos "spoke to somebody who knows Trotz well and that person told me he would look at the Canucks and not see much upside in that roster"

T0gNEcF.gif

Trotz is going to suck so so so so much.

Really don't think that all. He is very underrated. He's played to his roster's strengths, years when NSH was more deep on fwds he ran a pretty good offensive system. Dude is also good at plugging in kids to niches too. You think Hornquist, Legwand etc have the career they have under different coaches?

What would be a ideal off-season for your team?

Anyway, iterested in what you guys would like to see on your teams.

Tallon said he about 30mil to burn and he wants to bring in 5 vets. I don't think Gabbo makes it FA so I want Tallon to throw lettuce at: 1. Moulson
2.Niskanen
3. Vrbata/Callahan
4. Legwand
5. Mez

Also if Tampa does not qualify Lindback I wouldn't mind to take him for 2 years while we get a new prospect (hopefully Demko in the 2nd round). Buyout Kopecky and trade Flash so it could look like:

Moulson-Barkov-Boyes/Vrbata/Cally
Hubey-Bjugs-Boyes/Vrbata/Cally
Bergy-Pirri-Upshall
Hayes-Legwand-Shore
Barch

Campbell-Niskanen
Kulikov-Gudbranson
Mez-Ekblad/Petrovic
Robak

Luongo
Lindback

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

We could've had Claude Giroux simply by picking the player with the most points available?

fucking hell...

fun little mind experiment, though it's obviously missing the big "maybe we also suck at developing players" factor. :p

They should repeat this for a team that actually drafted well, just to see if a potatoe would fare worse there. e.g. the Wings.

We could've had Claude Giroux simply by picking the player with the most points available?

fucking hell...

fun little mind experiment, though it's obviously missing the big "maybe we also suck at developing players" factor. :p

They should repeat this for a team that actually drafted well, just to see if a potatoe would fare worse there. e.g. the Wings.

Dat late round awesome diamond in the rough prospects!

Top Bottom