• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Mentok

Banned
So who do we want to draft boys?

I agree, I just don't know who would trade for DD, even after he's rebounded. Combined with his marriage to Patches, it's an ugly mess.

It will be interesting to see how Bergevin handles this, it is pretty clear A.Gally will be the #1 C eventually. DD's value may never be higher.

I'd love to see Bergevin make a play for Kane in the off season.

Yup! That's the big one I think they can make a pitch for. Get him, another depth grinder guy that can play Therrien's system (there are some big bodied UFAs available) and a top 6-D man (not necessary, but always good to have helping out the new kids).

I also agree that DD will never look better, and he just can't take his game to a higher level. Trade him now, let AGally show what he's capable of and we're set. I mean AGally, Eller, Plek make a great top 3 C. Anyways, lots of question marks for this off-season. Bergevin has been good so far, but I wonder where he'll take this team?

Finally, 2 years for Therrien (with 3rd year option). Anything more is just crazy.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
They really should look for someone who's able to play with Subban for 28 mins a game. Gorges is alright, but he needs someone a notch better so he can do what he wants.

Finally, 2 years for Therrien (with 3rd year option). Anything more is just crazy.
Doesn't really matter if it's longer then 2 years, he won't last it.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Galchenyuk is 20. - BUST
Gallagher - 22. - MIDGET
Eller - 25. - SUCKS
Pacioretty - 25. - CRIPPLE
Price - 26. - WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AFTER THE INJURY
Subban -25. - DOESN'T PLAY THE RIGHT WAY
Beaulieu -21 - APPEARS TO BE FRENCH
Tinordi - 22 - I DON'T KNOW WHO HE IS SO HE SUCKS TOO

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
They really should look for someone who's able to play with Subban for 28 mins a game. Gorges is alright, but he needs someone a notch better so he can do what he wants.

Doesn't really matter if it's longer then 2 years, he won't last it.

Maybe Tinordi can be that guy, but even he isn't a perfect fit.

Hmmm, if only we could have drafted a great, left-handed defenceman in the same round that we drafted Subban so they could develop together and form one of the best first pairings in the league. Too bad we only had that one first round draft pick in 2007.

Samyy

Maybe Tinordi can be that guy, but even he isn't a perfect fit.

Hmmm, if only we could have drafted a great, left-handed defenceman in the same round that we drafted Subban so they could develop together and form one of the best first pairings in the league. Too bad we only had that one first round draft pick in 2007.

I hear there is that one Rangers D who has 10 points in the series or something? If only you guys had a guy like that eh?

Mentok

Banned
McDonut sucks...we need this guy:

RKenCjW.gif

Sign him stat!....oh wait....

Socreges

Banned
I hear there is that one Rangers D who has 10 points in the series or something? If only you guys had a guy like that eh?
He was great defensively, too.

Might be an obvious thing to say, but I haven't really heard it said about this series (not that I've had my ear to the ground)..... the Habs' lack of size cost them. They seemed pretty ineffective while cycling and defending the cycle. And they got knocked off the puck easily at times.

Mentok

Banned
He was great defensively, too.

Might be an obvious thing to say, but I haven't really heard it said about this series (not that I've had my ear to the ground)..... the Habs' lack of size cost them. They seemed pretty ineffective while cycling and defending the cycle. And they got knocked off the puck easily at times.

Therrien's system vs the players he actually has. Hard to dump and grind when your average guy is like 5'8". Weise was missed tonight for sure as he's an extra body that actually checks. That's partly why I'm hoping Gionta doesn't get re-signed. He's just not a strong player in a 3rd line role. Those $$millions can get used for a bigger/more intense player.

My buddy is convinced the Habs should trade for Marchand (he's a Bruin fan lol)...ummm yeeaaahhhh

Red_Man

Therrien was great against Cooper and even better against Julien, but couldn't handle AV's tactics or just plain refused to adjust to them. Whatever it was, it was a big part of why they lost. They never adjusted.

From twitter:

Vanek: 7 game playoff goal drought, 1 SOG or fewer in 11 of 17 postseason games

Socreges

Banned
Therrien was great against Cooper and even better against Julien, but couldn't handle AV's tactics or just plain refused to adjust to them. Whatever it was, it was a big part of why they lost. They never adjusted.

From twitter:
Seemed like such a great trade for a time, too.

Red_Man

Seemed like such a great trade for a time, too.
It was still a great trade, any time you can acquire a player of Vanek's calibre at the price Bergevin paid, you do it. You just noted how small they seemed this series, Collberg is just another tiny player. Hard to believe he's not playing with an injury or two either.

zroid

Banned
I'm sure if given the benefit of hindsight, the Habs would still have made the trade for Vanek.

He definitely helped them, just not when he was needed most, which is shitty. Wonder where he'll end up.

Socreges

Banned
Don't get me wrong. Still a good trade. Still worth doing. But it looked a lot different weeks ago when he seemed to be clicking. That's why I used emphasis

Red_Man

Patches and DD made it clear how difficult it was adjusting to Vaneks style of play, I don't really understand why he never put them back with those two after they had 20 games to develop chemistry with him.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Therrien's system vs the players he actually has. Hard to dump and grind when your average guy is like 5'8". Weise was missed tonight for sure as he's an extra body that actually checks. That's partly why I'm hoping Gionta doesn't get re-signed. He's just not a strong player in a 3rd line role. Those $$millions can get used for a bigger/more intense player.

My buddy is convinced the Habs should trade for Marchand (he's a Bruin fan lol)...ummm yeeaaahhhh
*barfs* how bout a Clarkson instead?

cube444

So Therrien gets ball washed for getting them to the ECF and then suddenly becomes dumb against the Rangers? Some of you guys are either delusional, dumb or just started watching hockey. The dynamics of the series totally changed after Price went down. Was Therrien supposed to channel his inner Patrick Roy and put on the pads?

You want to point blame? Look at Bergevin for adding and or keeping aging pieces. Gionta, Briere, Murray to name a few. Even Emelin and Markov looked suspect at the back end.

If anything, I applaud Therrien for taking that Habs team and making them overachieve.

Fei

Vanek is a pure goal scorer. Granted, he didn't score, but not sure what you expect with him on the fourth line or getting half his regular ice time. Not to mention Lundqvist didn't do him any favors.

I know the easy narrative is Vanek is lazy thanks to Don Quick, but look at Montreal's other top scorers for this series, too. I don't think their stat lines will do much for you either.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Vanek is a pure goal scorer. Granted, he didn't score, but not sure what you expect with him on the fourth line or getting half his regular ice time. Not to mention Lundqvist didn't do him any favors.

I know the easy narrative is Vanek is lazy thanks to Don Quick, but look at Montreal's other top scorers for this series, too. I don't think their stat lines will do much for you either.
Can't imagine another team paying the same amount for him after he disappeared at the end there.

Personally, I think they were just too drained from the Bruins series and Lundqvist and the support players won the series.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

We're basing his laziness off watching him. Even in the regular season he was still battling for pucks, in the post season he didn't do anything. I'm not sure how many games you watched but he was quite possibly the laziest player I've ever seen in a lot of games.

Maybe something is wrong with one of his hands because this pure sniper never took any shots.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
We're basing his laziness off watching him. Even in the regular season he was still battling for pucks, in the post season he didn't do anything. I'm not sure how many games you watched but he was quite possibly the laziest player I've ever seen in a lot of games.

Maybe something is wrong with one of his hands because this pure sniper never took any shots.
Maybe he was unhappy being on the 4th line? Though having fewer minutes may also explain an undisclosed injury.

yyzjohn

Banned
Can't rip the Habs at all. They got further than most expected them to, and I think if Price wasn't injured it could have made a difference. Sure Tokarski played well, but the team would be more confident knowing Price is there and can steal a game for them. Affects the entire team play.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Can't rip the Habs at all. They got further than most expected them to, and I think if Price wasn't injured it could have made a difference. Sure Tokarski played well, but the team would be more confident knowing Price is there and can steal a game for them. Affects the entire team play.
Besides one game, Tokarski kept them in it. I don't think you can pin goaltending on this when they couldn't score in the final game.

yyzjohn

Banned
Besides one game, Tokarski kept them in it. I don't think you can pin goaltending on this when they couldn't score in the final game.

Like I said, having a different guy in net makes the entire team in front of him play differently. Maybe the Habs take more chances with Price in net and it results in more scoring chances -- we'll never know at this point.

Not having Price changed how the Habs played. Tokarski was excellent, though. A sweep and beating the Bruins is nothing to scoff at.

Give the Rangers full credit though. After two seven-game series they looked like the fresher team.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
The beard is officially gone.

Ho-Sang would fit the Habs mould of highly skilled but undersized forwards.

What area do you think your team needs though? The goaltending seems set...

High ceiling, we need forwards with a lot of potential, but our best forward prospects already are fairly small.

Red_Man

Bergevin being up for GM of the year is such a farce.

Teams like Florida and Carolina signed top-pairing defensemen (Hainsey and Gilbert) for peanuts. Anaheim got their 2nd line centre (Perreault) for a 4th round pick. Ottawa signed their 1st line winger (MacArthur) for nothing.

Bergevin trades for a 4th line winger, under-performing diva and bottom pairing defenseman, and people are singing his praises? After all the other fuckups he had? (Parros, Briere, Murray)

It's a joke.
Way to undermine all those moves, Vanek was one of our MVPs going into the playoffs and was still tied for 2nd in goals on the team while paying almost nothing for him, Weise was one of our best forwards all playoffs in exchange for a guy who was traded twice and isn't even playing, and Weaver was brought in for a 5th round pick and one of our most stable D man and a beast on the PK. Parros, Briere, and Murray signings didn't cost him anything, and Briere was key in the playoffs, he deserves that nomination without a doubt.

Like I said, having a different guy in net makes the entire team in front of him play differently. Maybe the Habs take more chances with Price in net and it results in more scoring chances -- we'll never know at this point.
Exactly, it's not simply switching out the SV %'s of the two, the team never looked the same once Price was down. It's over now, and Rangers outplayed them regardless.

Top Bottom