• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Hello, Habs Fan here. I have to say The Habs did well without Price, you'd think the team would fall apart completely but nope Dustin kept the team alive..for the most part.I'm Proud of The Habs this year, They shutout Tampa and Beat Boston. Its all I can ask for even if they don't win the cup.

I guess ill cheer for Rangers For now.. But if Hawks get in, Nope.

A GM has to be graded on the accomplishments of the team he's assembled. Grabbing a couple guys who are trying to reform their careers (Hainsey, Gilbert, Raymond) for cheap is meaningless unless the team makes a good mark in the playoffs.

Who do people think the 2013/14 Worst GM award should go to? Snow? Nonis? Murray? Gillis? I'm hopelessly biased, but I think Nonis wins this easy. Maybe Gillis in a distant 2nd.

A GM has to be graded on the accomplishments of the team he's assembled. Grabbing a couple guys who are trying to reform their careers (Hainsey, Gilbert, Raymond) for cheap is meaningless unless the team makes a good mark in the playoffs.

Who do people think the 2013/14 Worst GM award should go to? Snow? Nonis? Murray? Gillis? I'm hopelessly biased, but I think Nonis wins this easy. Maybe Gillis in a distant 2nd.

McPhee.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Snow has to be a front runner, that awful Nino trade for Clutterbuck, and then the whole mess with Vanek and trading away Moulson. Just bad on every level.

Holland, stupid Legwand trade, stupid resigning Cleary, stupid, stupid, stupid...

Mentok

Banned
The award for worse GM should be named after Snow....

I don't get those saying Bergevin did nothing, he changed the dynamic of this team without having to give up anything. Spector believes now may be the time to look at Bourque trades, considering there may be interest after his playoff performance. I'd still say Ev.Kane would look good in a Habs jersey playing alongside both Gallys.

That would be so great. Get him away from sucking the Pens off on TV to destroying them from within.

He really wants to get close to Crosby I guess.

The award for worse GM should be named after Snow....

I don't get those saying Bergevin did nothing, he changed the dynamic of this team without having to give up anything. Spector believes now may be the time to look at Bourque trades, considering there may be interest after his playoff performance. I'd still say Ev.Kane would look good in a Habs jersey playing alongside both Gallys.

Nope, only 1 black man per team... Philly needs to abide by this rule and trade Simmonds to Detroit for the rights to Cleary.

Mentok

Banned
RT @DVEMike: Pierre McGuire has been telling associates he'll be in Pittsburgh today/tonight for 2nd GM interview w/Pens

HappeningBunker.jpg

I don't understand it, maybe Pierre is actually good at understanding the game, but he says some of the dumbest things I've ever heard an announcer say. It's like hiring Glen Healy as your next coach....

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I don't understand it, maybe Pierre is actually good at understanding the game, but he says some of the dumbest things I've ever heard an announcer say. It's like hiring Glen Healy as your next coach....

shhhh, just let them make the hire so we don't have to hear from him anymore!

Snow is obvious winner for Worst GM last year, but he doesn't have a long history of shit deals and did a good job locking up our young core. The Nino deal was his first big fuckup and the Moulson/Vanek fuckup his masterpiece. Getting Halak is a good start to repairing his reputation.

At least he didn't give away two stud goalies for nothing over the course of 8 months.

Mentok

Banned

Snow is obvious winner for Worst GM last year, but he doesn't have a long history of shit deals and did a good job locking up our young core. The Nino deal was his first big fuckup and the Moulson/Vanek fuckup his masterpiece. Getting Halak is a good start to repairing his reputation.

At least he didn't give away two stud goalies for nothing over the course of 8 months.

You're right, Snow hasn't been bad every year, Milbury really ran the team to the ground. I meant as the worse GM award in it's inaugural year (if it became a real award), should be named after it's winner, who was Snow this year.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Two starters AND they retained salary...!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Some Rangers news that belongs in here for a change.

The Rangers have signed goalie prospect Mackenzie Skapski to an ELC. He was the Rangers' 6th round pick last year, played for Kootenay in the WHL this season. Apparently Benoit Allaire is really high on him and thinks he could be NHL-ready in 2-4 years. We'll see.

cube444

RT @DVEMike: Pierre McGuire has been telling associates he'll be in Pittsburgh today/tonight for 2nd GM interview w/Pens

HappeningBunker.jpg

i9TdrpnPo6wqT.gif

Socreges

Banned
Snow by a landslide.

Just also realized the Isles are hanging on to their 2014 pick. Meaning Buffalo gets their 2015 pick. And if the Isles are in a lottery position a year from now, which they likely will be, holy fuck.

Lucky Buffalo fans (kinda)
Poor TeethMummy

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Snow by a landslide.

Just also realized the Isles are hanging on to their 2014 pick. Meaning Buffalo gets their 2015 pick. And if the Isles are in a lottery position a year from now, which they likely will be, holy fuck.

Lucky Buffalo fans (kinda)
Poor TeethMummy

Holy shit forgot about that. Next season we all need to step up and make sure TeethMummy is okay after every Islanders loss.

Samyy

Their goaltending gave them a .894 save percentage this year, no?
Even with league average goaltending they will be fine, at least not bottom 5.

zroid

Banned
Honestly there's only one explanation for why the Habs would lose to the Rangers after getting past the big bad Bruins. Not enough character, grit, and leadership.

Because Dave Nonis has an abundance of it, he's willing to part with some at a bargain basement price. David Clarkson for Rene Bourque.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly there's only one explanation for why the Habs would lose to the Rangers after getting past the big bad Bruins. Not enough character, grit, and leadership.

Because Dave Nonis has an abundance of it, he's willing to part with some at a bargain basement price. David Clarkson for Rene Bourque.

Sure.

If you eat $2 million of his cap hit.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Reminds me of CrazedArabMan's CPU trades in GM Connected. Good times.
Was there ever only a sim/GM league or was it always someone playing the games as well?

If it's pure sim and I might find one to join. I'd rather comp stomp than play against other people but a sim only league might be fun if only for the wacky deals.

MacAttack

Was there ever only a sim/GM league or was it always someone playing the games as well?

If it's pure sim and I might find one to join. I'd rather comp stomp than play against other people but a sim only league might be fun if only for the wacky deals.

The first few season's were sim only, but towards the end people were allowed to play head to head. We also had a sim league but I'm not sure that made it out of the inaugural season.

NHL 13 Sim Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486538

NHL 13 Versus Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491586

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The first few season's were sim only, but towards the end people were allowed to play head to head. We also had a sim league but I'm not sure that made it out of the inaugural season.
Any Milbury or Gillis-like hilarity or were the trades mostly ok?

I really dug Hockey Manager but it seemed to be missing something that made me prefer GM simming in the EA games.

Merguson

Banned
I enjoy hope_smoke's transcriptions of radio hits on Twitter but ye gods he's an odd one.

I don't understand how he can praise Burke while "crap" on the current management team. Burke brought in the current management team no? He trusted them right? Relied on them for hockey decisions?

MacAttack

Any Milbury or Gillis-like hilarity or were the trades mostly ok?

I really dug Hockey Manager but it seemed to be missing something that made me prefer GM simming in the EA games.

As Soc mentioned, I think Crazed tried to slip some lopsided ones through. The toughest part was moderating trades with the computer owners. Most player GMs were pretty conservative with trades IIRC. Communication was a little tough to manage as well since everyone had different times they played and the sim schedule made it difficult to manage how much time to allow for trades vs keeping the simming going so people didnt get bored waiting. Good times overall but ultimately EA's clunky interface made it less fun.

Socreges

Banned

NHL 13 Sim Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486538

NHL 13 Versus Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491586
Our sim league went through a good 6 or 7 seasons before we decided to end it with people actually playing some games.

I'd love to do it again, but I don't see myself owning a 'next gen' console for a while and I don't see us getting the amount of people we had (there were so many with 360s).

I don't understand how he can praise Burke while "crap" on the current management team. Burke brought in the current management team no? He trusted them right? Relied on them for hockey decisions?

Exactly. The entire front office and the coaching staff (who the dude loves to hate) were handpicked by Burke.

Burke's record as GM & Pres wasn't that great- even if you ignore the team's record. A few good trades, but average to bad FA management, spotty draft record and he never was able to address the team's lack of 1C, 1D or 1G across *4 years*. Put his frankly ridiculous public personality on top of that and it's no wonder the MLSE execs wanted him gone.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
As Soc mentioned, I think Crazed tried to slip some lopsided ones through. The toughest part was moderating trades with the computer owners. Most player GMs were pretty conservative with trades IIRC. Communication was a little tough to manage as well since everyone had different times they played and the sim schedule made it difficult to manage how much time to allow for trades vs keeping the simming going so people didnt get bored waiting. Good times overall but ultimately EA's clunky interface made it less fun.
Desperately trying to trade the heart of the Wings...dat Cleary. :'(
Our sim league went through a good 6 or 7 seasons before we decided to end it with people actually playing some games.

I'd love to do it again, but I don't see myself owning a 'next gen' console for a while and I don't see us getting the amount of people we had (there were so many with 360s).
I'd be PS4 only...oh well. I wish EA would bring PC back, but I imagine the only way they'd do it is through Origin with online all the time and a shit ton of DRM. I miss the fast loading and better graphics on the PC versions. They do have one up there I know (lol Dion version) but it's not the same.

ShaneB

I'd be PS4 only...oh well. I wish EA would bring PC back, but I imagine the only way they'd do it is through Origin with online all the time and a shit ton of DRM. I miss the fast loading and better graphics on the PC versions. They do have one up there I know (lol Dion version) but it's not the same.

Yesterday I was streaming a league game of my Madden 08 PC league. Crazy dedication the folks running the community all have. I imagine the same is there for the NHL 09 PC community.

Top Bottom