• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Hossa still has two more years at $7.9M each before it drops off (not to mention the contract goes until forever). I don't think a team wants to be stuck with that.

Sharp would be a great addition to any team's top six. Imagine him with the Sedins? I wonder if Kesler would go to Chicago.

Acid08

Banned
Hossa still has two more years at $7.9M each before it drops off (not to mention the contract goes until forever). I don't think a team wants to be stuck with that.

Sharp would be a great addition to any team's top six. Imagine him with the Sedins? I wonder if Kesler would go to Chicago.
I thought it was reported that they were one of his six teams.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Wouldn't the Blackhawks get hit with penalties when Hossa retires due to the new CBA?

Acid08

Banned
Holy crap this interview answer from Pickles:

Q: After losing to the Los Angeles Kings in the
playoffs for two consecutive years now, it is
obvious that some changes have to be made.
Without pointing fingers, what are the
necessary, and what are the unnecessary steps
to take in order to avoid that next year?

A: Well, Doug has already started to do that;
he's gotten rid of Havlat and Boyle. Obviously
Doug wants to win, too, you know, his job might
be on the line as well, so he's making the
necessary steps in order to improve the team
and make sure this doesn't happen again

Pickles pointing those fingers, dude doesn't give a fuck. Would be super okay with him getting the C if Thornton were to be traded or stripped of it.

What have you heard? Most of the criticisms DW has had have been all about their on ice and locker room stuff. He hasn't had a problem moving players whose off ice activities were actually a big problem. Setoguchi was the most prominent example of that, he would get wasted most nights, was in a few fights downtown, and would be late/hungover at team meetings. And from what I've heard he's still doing some of that.

Just that Thornton maintained a property near the arena that was used by almost everyone for Caligula-like excesses after home games. The way the story was relayed to me it sounded like this was a big part of playing for the Sharks.

I don't put much stock in the story, but maybe there's some truth to it? Maybe after this embarrassment in the playoffs, the front office can justify shaking up the roster?

Just that Thornton maintained a property near the arena that was used by almost everyone for Caligula-like excesses after home games. The way the story was relayed to me it sounded like this was a big part of playing for the Sharks.

I don't put much stock in the story, but maybe there's some truth to it? Maybe after this embarrassment in the playoffs, the front office can justify shaking up the roster?

dZyb491.gif

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I don't know if any Habs fans caught Bergevin's presser today, but he was going out of his way to speak about leadership and how it's shifting in the room to the younger guys, and specifically pointed out Subban & Price. He directed it away from Gio, making it sound like maybe he won't be back, and went out of his way to pinpoint Subban. It would be amazing if they had the balls to give him the C. Also confirmed that Weise has a concussion, which is a surprise to no one.

I wonder if Gallant was in charge of special teams, if so, good riddance.
He was a part of it, I won't miss him at all to be honest. Hopefully someone takes JJ Daigneualt as well.

Red_Man

Some quotes regarding what I posted about the vets:

Bergevin said:
Eventually with teams, a change happens, I'm not saying we're disappointed with our veterans, but it's nice to see that your young veterans are taking an important role in the leadership of the team.

Bergevin said:
Those young players aren't old, but they're not young anymore,what they've learned, the way they played in the playoffs, for me the leadership of the team is slowly changing hands toward those players. That's very important for the future of the team.

Pleks, Gio, Gorges, Markov, all suffered quite a bit in that series against the Rangers, definitely sounds like he's pointing some fingers.

Florida is apparently really high on Nylander, hence wanting to trade down to draft him.

Canucks should grab him with their 6th overall. They should also STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM VIRTANEN.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
It's Howard Berger! C'mon guys.

Dude has been eating out of a trash can ever since he was let go by the Fan years ago. Starving for dem hits.

Mentok

Banned
Has this been posted? http://www.bergerbytes.ca/leafs-florida-blockbuster/

Howard Berger: Phaneuf + Kadri + 8th Overall for Jovanovski + 1st Overall.

Huge overpayment to get the first.

Lol if true.

I don't know if any Habs fans caught Bergevin's presser today, but he was going out of his way to speak about leadership and how it's shifting in the room to the younger guys, and specifically pointed out Subban & Price. He directed it away from Gio, making it sound like maybe he won't be back, and went out of his way to pinpoint Subban. It would be amazing if they had the balls to give him the C. Also confirmed that Weise has a concussion, which is a surprise to no one.

He was a part of it, I won't miss him at all to be honest. Hopefully someone takes JJ Daigneualt as well.

Yeah I saw his presser and was really happy with all that I heard. I loved that he said they still aren't considered a contender and need to make some changes. He said he wanted Gio back for the right price (I'm willing to bet Gio's gone though, as I can't see them wanting to pay him anything big).

Red_Man

Yeah I saw his presser and was really happy with all that I heard. I loved that he said they still aren't considered a contender and need to make some changes. He said he wanted Gio back for the right price (I'm willing to bet Gio's gone though, as I can't see them wanting to pay him anything big).
I wouldn't be surprised to see Gio stay for a much cheaper contract instead of having to move his family for another 2-3 year contract, it's just a huge relief hearing him speak about the leadership core moving towards the kids, and specifically Subban & Price.

My preference in terms of the draft:

Nylander
Ehlers
Fleury
Kapanen
Ritchie
Virtanen

In my dreams:
Reinhart

I'd probably have Kapanen and Ritchie above Fleury from what I know about them but I'll admit that isn't a whole lot.

My realistic top-five for the Wild:

Larkin
Fiala
Vrana
Milano
Scherbak

I like Dal Colle more than anybody else in the draft though. But the Wild have no chance of getting him.

And don't worry 19 & 21, there are plenty of Minnesota guys on my radar this year. Hardly any are worthy of going before round three, I'll admit it's a rough year, but I really like Zach Yon and hope the Wild get him in round 6 or 7.

Mentok

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised to see Gio stay for a much cheaper contract instead of having to move his family for another 2-3 year contract, it's just a huge relief hearing him speak about the leadership core moving towards the kids, and specifically Subban & Price.

Agreed, it's great that he recognized the core of this team! I've heard Gio may be interested in NJ, and they may be interested as well. Either way, I'm hoping that for Gio and Markov combined, we don't go too high. Especially in Gio's case, as there are better 3rd liners out there.

gaming_noob

Another Phaneuf trade rumor, this time from Josh Rimer:

On today’s Hockeybuzzcast, Josh Rimer reports of talk involving a trade the Maple Leafs and Carolina Hurricanes that would swap team captains Dion Phaneuf for Eric Staal.

The 29-year-old Phaneuf can be traded without limitation before his new seven-year, $49 Million contract goes into effect on July 1, while Staal has two years remaining on his current deal at $8.25 Million per season and has a no trade clause.

There has been speculation that new Canes GM Ron Francis is looking to make significant changes and started with the firing of head coach Kirk Muller, but players like Staal and goaltender Cam Ward, who have been with the club going back to their 2006 Stanley Cup Championship are reportedly on the block.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Mike-Augello/Phaneuf-Blockbuster-Banter/120/60386

If the Leafs don't have to add then they have to make this trade. I rather have 2 years of a declining Center than 7 more years of Phaneuf.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I'd be ok with that trade too

I think

Maybe

There'd be a chance we could reignite staal with our great wingers, too.

Samyy

Before a trade like this is made I hope management has a fucking plan for acquiring a first pairing dman because then we would have 0.

Top Bottom