• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Acid08

Banned
I didn't know about a recurring groin problem. Usually those are the things that can be addressed in the off-season.
Or, as is the case with Martin Havlat, they completely destroy your skating because the injury is constantly being re-aggravated. No amount of surgery is going to help him recover.

Erdrick

What the heck, it's the Ice Caps going to the AHL Finals? Awesome!

Man that is one long trek if it's Texas vs St John's.

I'm honestly more excited for this than the Stanley Cup final. I love seeing the Jets prospects in action. Hutchinson has been stellar. Although, I'm honestly ready for next year already. Such is the way of us fans of non-playoff teams...

Quick

Banned
What the heck, it's the Ice Caps going to the AHL Finals? Awesome!

Man that is one long trek if it's Texas vs St John's.

It's a pretty interesting schedule that pretty much solves the issue of time zones and, more importantly, cost.

The AHL has a 2-3-2 format for their games, which makes sense with them and how they build their schedule. St. John's does have the advantage of having 5 days of rest between games 3 and 4m though.

I just remembered that year where Chicago forgot to fax their qualifying offers to their RFA's.

Tallon gave that job to his assistant GM Stan Bowman...

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW

THAT SHREWD MOTHERFUCKER

Ohh not Etem tooooo... Noo noooo nope... I'm sorry.

But yeah, Ottawa apparently wanted Bones badly during the Bobby trade and wanted him to be a throw in. Nope.

Cake Boss

Banned
Ohh not Etem tooooo... Noo noooo nope... I'm sorry.

But yeah, Ottawa apparently wanted Bones badly during the Bobby trade and wanted him to be a throw in. Nope.

That quote feels so Ottawa, I'm stunned it didn't come directly from ownership or the front office through a local radio hit. Nick Bonino. Even if you assume there's another valuable piece in there, you are talking about an absolute disaster if the return is centered around a third-line center.

And let's not kid ourselves here. That's what he is. He was riding the percentage-gods to the tune of 49-points last season, a year where a lot of things fell favorably for him. He's a 47% career Corsi% player in which his team performs better with him off of the ice, and averages less shots per game in his career than Colin Greening by a fair margin. And, uh, he's twenty-six.

Etem better be part of the package Dasts or I will be mad.

ShaneB

I'm honestly more excited for this than the Stanley Cup final. I love seeing the Jets prospects in action. Hutchinson has been stellar. Although, I'm honestly ready for next year already. Such is the way of us fans of non-playoff teams...

It's a pretty interesting schedule that pretty much solves the issue of time zones and, more importantly, cost.

The AHL has a 2-3-2 format for their games, which makes sense with them and how they build their schedule. St. John's does have the advantage of having 5 days of rest between games 3 and 4m though.

Ah, didn't know it was a 2-3-2 format. That certainly helps that travel.

St John's vs Toronto would've been interesting just based on the history between the teams as the St John's Maple Leafs turned into the Marlies.

gaming_noob

Quick is not that great tbh
He is average, but thats all they need.

And Richards sucks this year.

I agree. But they're still big names in this league. It's so awesome that they were able to fit all these big names and still have over 13M in capspace (as per capgeek).

Socreges

Banned
LA Kings' team is stacked.

Doughty
Kopitar
Quick
Carter
Richards
Gaborik

Wtf...it's like somone's fantasy sports team.
Any championship team is normally built the same:

Toews, Hossa, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Crawford (eh)
Chara, Bergeron, Lucic, Kaberle, Thomas, Krejci

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
2 new pics from NHL 15

http://www.easports.com/nhl/news-updates-gameplay/article/nhl-15-arenas

nhl-15-arena-blog-header_656x369.jpg

nhl-15-joe-louis-arena.jpg

nhl-15-madison-square-garden.jpg

2 new pics from NHL 15

http://www.easports.com/nhl/news-updates-gameplay/article/nhl-15-arenas

http://vassets.ea.com/Assets/Resources/Image/nhl-15-joe-louis-arena.jpg[IMG][/quote]

BANNERS!!!!! Seriously though, they don't even have the dates on them. :/

Nor do they have the retired jerseys. Step your game up EA! We'll probably still be stuck with one ref on the ice too.

Edit: They do have the retired jersey's, just hard to see.

Edit 2: BUT THEY DON'T HAVE LIDSTROM'S UP!!!!

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
BANNERS!!!!! Seriously though, they don't even have the dates on them. :/

Nor do they have the retired jerseys. Step your game up EA! We'll probably still be stuck with one ref on the ice too.

Edit: They do have the retired jersey's, just hard to see.

Edit 2: BUT THEY DON'T HAVE LIDSTROM'S UP!!!!
I was seriously gonna post the banners.jpg with my post, haha.

Yeah, Lidstrom's not up there yet, maybe they can still add it before ship?

Also of note for the Joe, looks like they have the short benches that don't go past the blue lines! And 4 referee's finally!!!

EDIT - Actually, wait, the benches DO go past the blue lines, boooo. Guess it's too hard to fit all the player models on the short bench or have to re-work a bunch of animation/scripting for line changes with varying bench lengths.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
MSG has banner dates but not the Joe?

All those banners probably chewing up texture memory

ACC banners are going to be lame, I can see it. All the honored/retired numbers have pictures on them and those players aren't covered under nhlpa

Shitty

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Lots of discussion today about Lafleur's comments......this is the guy who scored 4 goals in his first 29 games while Patches has scored 5 in his first 21. The criticism is beyond ridiculous.

I think Ray Ferraro is my favourite hockey analyst
Dude actually makes sense
I agree with you, but his input on the Ekblad today was pretty stupid. Saying it's okay if he turns out to be a 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman that plays for 10 years is just wrong, that's not what you want with a top 3 pick at all.

@jothib: According to Tony Marinaro TSN 690,the second destination of Andrei Markov is the @FlaPanthers, if no agreement is granted by @CanadiensMTL

DALÉ

Would be a great mentor for Kulikov and take some of the load off Campbell. Plus having Soup and Markov run the separate PP units would be glorious.

Quick

Banned
EDIT - Actually, wait, the benches DO go past the blue lines, boooo. Guess it's too hard to fit all the player models on the short bench or have to re-work a bunch of animation/scripting for line changes with varying bench lengths.

Authentic* arenas.

A few more things I'm curious about:

- Are they actually going back to having authentic coaches? I liked that with the PS2/Xbox/PC versions, but it was weird seeing the same coach on my team's bench when I was running a Dynasty/GM mode that's been going on for 10+ seasons. Being able to fire and hire coaches would be a cool feature, like in NBA 2K14.

- Will they have a Ray Ferraro model between the benches and/or somewhere at ice level? NBA 2K14 had a shitty-looking Doris Burke, but I appreciate the effort, at least.

They better get all of the ugly ass fans right for the pepsi center or this will all have been for nothing

Heard you did some motion capture up in Vancouver recently...

NHL 15 looks disappointing, the extra year didn't yield a significant difference, Thornton doesn't even look right.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Authentic* arenas.

A few more things I'm curious about:

- Are they actually going back to having authentic coaches? I liked that with the PS2/Xbox/PC versions, but it was weird seeing the same coach on my team's bench when I was running a Dynasty/GM mode that's been going on for 10+ seasons. Being able to fire and hire coaches would be a cool feature, like in NBA 2K14.

- Will they have a Ray Ferraro model between the benches and/or somewhere at ice level? NBA 2K14 had a shitty-looking Doris Burke, but I appreciate the effort, at least.
I doubt they'll have real coaches. Of course they could be saving that info for the Dynasty info to be released later. I was also wondering about having Ferraro in game and not just be a voice, but they haven't made mention of him physically appearing like Emmerick and Eddie O, so I'm going with a no on that one too.

Red_Man

NHL 15 looks disappointing, the extra year didn't yield a significant difference, Thornton doesn't even look right.
They've shown 3 screen shots......a little early to be shitting on it no? These kind of comments are why I don't read gaming side anymore.

They've shown 3 screen shots......a little early to be shitting on it no? These kind of comments are why I don't read gaming side anymore.

You can judge a lot by three screen shots, I'll withhold all judgment until I see more close ups though, or the game in action, but it's not looking great initially. Also, you know at E3 they're going to show some trailer with "Actual gameplay" that's nothing close to the actual product, I have to temper my expectations.

Red_Man

Also, you know at E3 they're going to show some trailer with "Actual gameplay" that's nothing close to the actual product, I have to temper my expectations.
I agree on both accounts, but at the same time, I'm going to wait until I see it in motion before I start developing an opinion on it, screenshots mean nothing in a sports game. Graphics are the last thing that matter in these games anyways, I'm more concerned about the physics, hitting system, stick handling, etc.

yyzjohn

Banned
Clarkson to TOR started off as a rumor as well.

Clarkson coming to the Leafs was more than a rumor it was pretty much expected by all. I'd hazard to guess there are more Leafs rumors than most other teams when it comes to trades. Pretty much everyone on the roster has been in someone's fantasy rumor trade. What % of these rumors are actually true though? 5%?

ZeroGravity

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Sources saying World Cup of Hockey now more likely to return in Sept 2016 rather than Sept 2015...
Nothing decided 100 percent but I think one of the World Cup ideas being discussed is having the whole tourney one city. Like a Super Bowl
Also hear NHL is leaning to only have 2 or 3 outdoor games next yr. Outside of Wash Jan 1, San Jose very much in mix to host a game as well

Quick

Banned
They really needed to cut down the outdoor games. Save what little novelty it has.

I wonder if NHL Revealed is coming back. It did a good job covering the Olympics and the Stadium Series games, as much of a rip off it is to 24/7.

Top Bottom