• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

calder

Fucking vendors. Ignore email for days, take forever to reply to phone requests, selectively answer in confusing/garbled bullet points to simple questions, then contradict earlier replies with every new conversation.

You'd think they gave us a half million dollars for this bullshit or something. And don't get me started on our vendor or record relations or the big companies like Cisco who legit don't fucking care if we live or die - those assholes at least are open and transparent in their total disinterest in their customers.

ShaneB

Happy Birthday to me. 33 years and wonder where the time went. Moved to Toronto 9 years ago and constantly wonder why I did it.

Anyways, have really been checked out of the conference finals, watch the games, but pretty half hearted, been watching the NBA conference finals a bit more in hopes of Warriors/Cavs being a good final.

Hope for 2 game 7's though, so go Blackhawks.

Happy Birthday fella. I'm 32 in about two weeks so I know the feeling. Where the hell has the time gone, and what did I do with it before I was a parent?

Quick

Banned
Fucking vendors. Ignore email for days, take forever to reply to phone requests, selectively answer in confusing/garbled bullet points to simple questions, then contradict earlier replies with every new conversation.

You'd think they gave us a half million dollars for this bullshit or something. And don't get me started on our vendor or record relations or the big companies like Cisco who legit don't fucking care if we live or die - those assholes at least are open and transparent in their total disinterest in their customers.

The cycle of futility.

zroid

Banned
Congrats Shorks. Not so much because of DeBoer but because Carlyle is out of the picture.
Someone pls hire Carlyle I need it to happen

I wonder if it's possible flip Edwing for an arm.

Maybe but I don't see it happening for various reasons. And he is close to having no-trade rights I believe.

I'm pretty firmly in the "hope this season goes well, but more importantly hope the young pitchers keep developing so they'll be a solid rotation next year" camp. Buehrle coming off the books next year will add a lot of flexibility too.

Quick

Banned
Happy Birthday to me. 33 years and wonder where the time went. Moved to Toronto 9 years ago and constantly wonder why I did it.

Anyways, have really been checked out of the conference finals, watch the games, but pretty half hearted, been watching the NBA conference finals a bit more in hopes of Warriors/Cavs being a good final.

Happy birthday, Shane.

Have you considered moving back home? You seem unhappy in Toronto, since you seem to keep questioning your move here. Not to sound like a jerk, but I'm just saying what I've been observing. Moving is easier said than done, of course.

ShaneB

Happy Birthday fella. I'm 32 in about two weeks so I know the feeling. Where the hell has the time gone, and what did I do with it before I was a parent?

Thanks, and yeah, the old saying that time just seems to fly by the older you get seems appropriate.

Happy birthday, Shane.

Have you considered moving back home? You seem unhappy in Toronto, since you seem to keep questioning your move here. Not to sound like a jerk, but I'm just saying what I've been observing. Moving is easier said than done, of course.

Moving back home isn't feasible, at least with how unstable the job market is in my small isolated home town. Lots of layoffs and just uncertainty for a lot of people.

I moved to Toronto as a sort of reset in my life, hoping for a jumpstart to something bigger and better, and it was good for a while, but reverted back to my old self in time. Now it's more a question of wondering where do I belong, and making that change. Also that fear again of such a big change, and admitting to myself I made a wrong choice and to correct it. Opened up yesterday to some of my closest friends about what is really going on, and admitted that I often feel like I hide away just to present the illusion that everything is ok when it's not.

RC

Banned
Thanks, and yeah, the old saying that time just seems to fly by the older you get seems appropriate.

Moving back home isn't feasible, at least with how unstable the job market is in my small isolated home town. Lots of layoffs and just uncertainty for a lot of people.

I moved to Toronto as a sort of reset in my life, hoping for a jumpstart to something bigger and better, and it was good for a while, but reverted back to my old self in time. Now it's more a question of wondering where do I belong, and making that change. Also that fear again of such a big change, and admitting to myself I made a wrong choice and to correct it. Opened up yesterday to some of my closest friends about what is really going on, and admitted that I often feel like I hide away just to present the illusion that everything is ok when it's not.

Happy Birthday buddy!

Would another change in scenery help get you out of that rut or do you see yourself repeating the cycle?

TUSR

Banned

Happy Birthday to me. 26 years and wonder where the time went.

Quick

Banned

What about a major city near your hometown? You'd at least be close to home without living there again.

Or perhaps a move further west?

I don't know. I'm still not quite sure what to do either. I'm at a job I don't really like, but it's a step up from where I was before.

In any case, I hope this year treats you well, and you find what you're looking for, Shane.

Quick

Banned

HBD TUSR.

You fucking said it. Goddamn man, yesterday I found out that a high school friend of mine died back in October and it feels like he and I were being idiots in English class a few weeks ago.

Same here.

I didn't know the guy well, but in high school, he was one of the druggies that always got in trouble, and we had a few classes together. Found out that he died. Not sure if he OD'd or if it was an accident or something.

Another guy from my high school in that guy's same circle of druggies apparently reformed and is back at school. So good for him.

Happy Birthday!!!

I'm moving to Toronto (hopefully) in a few weeks as well.

Kinda hoping for a change/reset as well.

Quick

Banned
Happy Birthday!!!

There's a bunch of guys over at the Toronto-Age thread that will be of help if you need to to know information.

Having met a majority of them + Smiley a few months ago at a meetup, they all seem like good people. In a hilarious twist, someone dropped a racist comment at Kave during the meetup and it wasn't Smiley. :lol

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
There's a bunch of guys over at the Toronto-Age thread that will be of help if you need to to know information.

Having met a majority of them + Smiley a few months ago at a meetup, they all seem like good people. In a hilarious twist, someone dropped a racist comment at Kave during the meetup and it wasn't Smiley. :lol

I still laugh when I think of this. IT WASN'T ME. :lol

ShaneB

Happy Birthday buddy!

Would another change in scenery help get you out of that rut or do you see yourself repeating the cycle?

A change of scenery is no doubt needed. My small town roots made me want to experience the city life, but it's taken me a while to realize I don't desire much of the city life, or at least the mass of people. I certainly like it here when it's easy to get around!

I mentioned before how I will be visiting some friends in St. John's at the end of June, and that will be a big help. Just the act of travelling, and as well as spending time with friends I miss very much.

Happy Birthday to you! I'm sure quite a few million people share our birth date.

What about a major city near your hometown? You'd at least be close to home without living there again.

Or perhaps a move further west?

I don't know. I'm still not quite sure what to do either. I'm at a job I don't really like, but it's a step up from where I was before.

In any case, I hope this year treats you well, and you find what you're looking for, Shane.

A major city near my home town doesn't exist, everywhere is far away from my hometown. West always seems like an option, considering the job boon is some places.

I suppose it's just the sense of feeling directionless. I remember years ago in a career counseling workshop I attended, I told myself at 30 I'd like have been settled into something stable, and I suppose I am in that situation now, but stability doesn't mean much when it feels stagnant.

Happy Birthday!!!

Thanks to you as well, hope your move/transition pays off for you!

Thanks for the outlet folks, perhaps I'm getting too philosophical.

You fuckers, I wanted to move from this shit hole to Toronto but the man said I didn't have enough experience.

Cunts

I'd actually pick Ottawa over Toronto. My wife did her undergrad there, I loved visiting.

I'd pretty much set up residence at the Royal Oak in the Glebe whenever I was there. Good times, I think.

Quick

Banned

giphy.gif

we got you, buddy.

Yawnier

Banned
A ton of my family from small town Newfoundland has moved out west (mainly southern ontario and alberta) over the last 15 years. Cod fishing industry collapse... no fun

There just isn't a whole lot of work out here in atlantic canada, I'm probably going to have to do the same thing when I'm done school.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
giphy.gif

we got you, buddy.

I got banned for that :(

Me and the family would love to move to Vancouver but I can't spare any organs so I can afford to live there.

I am hoping to get an offer soon and then I am out of this boring ass city.

Nobody lives IN downtown Vancouver. We all live in the suburbs. Except RC, he hobo's around downtown

RC

Banned
Me and the family would love to move to Vancouver but I can't spare any organs so I can afford to live there.

I am hoping to get an offer soon and then I am out of this boring ass city.

Vancouver's overated anyhow.

I got banned for that :(

Nobody lives IN downtown Vancouver. We all live in the suburbs. Except RC, he hobo's around downtown

If dumpster diving's wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I live in London and love it. Not so small that there's nothing to do, not so big that I can't afford a big ass piece of property. Toronto and Detroit are both two hours away.

Thanks to you as well, hope your move/transition pays off for you!

Thanks. I am so bored of this town. It's got it's upsides but after living and growing up here it's time for a change. Toronto housing prices though .... barf.

It's more for my kid, all the exciting stuff for him is out of town. Toronto has way more for kids. My son is autistic but he loves stuff like amusement parks, zoo and the like. Ottawa got none of that.

Plus allergies are just driving me and wife crazy, Ottawa Valley collects all that pollen we probably spend a few hundred a year on anti-histamines.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Man, you guys are moving or wanting to move out of Ottawa just as things in this city are starting to get good.

There's the Lansdowne development, Zibi, LRT, Sens moving to Lebreton.

Admittedly, Ottawa was a black hole for fun in the 90s and 2000s, but it's actually becoming a proper "city" now.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

I thought he said something else until someone pointed out what he said. :(

Man, you guys are moving or wanting to move out of Ottawa just as things in this city are starting to get good.

There's the Lansdowne development, Zibi, LRT, Sens moving to Lebreton.

Admittedly, Ottawa was a black hole for fun in the 90s and 2000s, but it's actually becoming a proper "city" now.

Well Sens moving to Lebreton is not a 100% thing.

Ottawa is definitely getting better but I've traveled to other large cities so much and it's no contest.

I spent like a few months in California the past year and it was a total eye opener. I'd almost move there(still might) but I don't think I would ever feel at home there.

ShaneB

we got you, buddy.

Thanks Quick, trying to post less on gaf, but figure I could splurge on my birthday.

A ton of my family from small town Newfoundland has moved out west (mainly southern ontario and alberta) over the last 15 years. Cod fishing industry collapse... no fun

There just isn't a whole lot of work out here in atlantic canada, I'm probably going to have to do the same thing when I'm done school.

Yeah, as much fun as I hope to have visiting my friends in St Johns, the thought of moving there will eventually come up, and it's a tough job market, so just an all around confusing situation.

Happy birthday, folks. Have a good one.

Thanks!

Happy Birthday!

Thanks!

Thanks. I am so bored of this town. It's got it's upsides but after living and growing up here it's time for a change. Toronto housing prices though .... barf.

It's more for my kid, all the exciting stuff for him is out of town. Toronto has way more for kids. My son is autistic but he loves stuff like amusement parks, zoo and the like. Ottawa got none of that.

Plus allergies are just driving me and wife crazy, Ottawa Valley collects all that pollen we probably spend a few hundred a year on anti-histamines.

And here I am wondering what it's like to live in Ottawa since I have a cousin there and family that goes there regularly and talks about how great it is.

Understandable about your son though. When you become a parent they're all that matters really.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I wanna move to Montreal and do my PhD there :/
I've entertained the idea of moving there, but I have no idea how difficult it would be for someone who only speaks English to get up and place themselves there permanently.

And here I am wondering what it's like to live in Ottawa since I have a cousin there and family that goes there regularly and talks about how great it is.

Understandable about your son though. When you become a parent they're all that matters really.

It is a good place to live. It's nice and quiet with little crime and housing prices are cheap compared to larger cities. You want to have any serious fun you got to go to Montreal.

My wife has always hated it, she lived in big cities like LA and Boston before so Ottawa is a little village in comparison.

Since I lost my job a few months ago we decided to use this opportunity to move so I've been applying to jobs in Toronto since.

Top Bottom