• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I've entertained the idea of moving there, but I have no idea how difficult it would be for someone who only speaks English to get up and place themselves there permanently.

When I was there on vacation I didn't have any problem at all with just English, but I also speak some French. Never had to use it though, everyone spoke English.

There's a bunch of guys over at the Toronto-Age thread that will be of help if you need to to know information.

Having met a majority of them + Smiley a few months ago at a meetup, they all seem like good people. In a hilarious twist, someone dropped a racist comment at Kave during the meetup and it wasn't Smiley. :lol

Yeah I think I will stop by that thread once I get an offer.

Nobody lives IN downtown Vancouver. We all live in the suburbs. Except RC, he hobo's around downtown

Yeah I know. I think I looked at prices for the burbs a while back and it was still holy shit territory. Maybe in a few years I'll see.

Smiley90

Yeah I think I will stop by that thread once I get an offer.

Yeah I know. I think I looked at prices for the burbs a while back and it was still holy shit territory. Maybe in a few years I'll see.

I pay 500.- a month for a roomy 2-bedroom apartment room, the whole apartment costs 1100 a month. Can't complain. Right next to the skytrain/metro and a mall within 5mins walking distance too.

RC

Banned
I pay 500.- a month for a roomy 2-bedroom apartment room, the whole apartment costs 1100 a month. Can't complain. Right next to the skytrain/metro and a mall within 5mins walking distance too.

I didn't know you were that close to Metrotown, we're practically neighbours!

Smiley90

Ill be out in Langley late June early July. Buy me drinks. ;)

How fitting that you'd be visiting the most hillbilly town in the Lower Mainland!

To be fair, Delta is probably more hillbilly

Silexx

Man, you guys are moving or wanting to move out of Ottawa just as things in this city are starting to get good.

There's the Lansdowne development, Zibi, LRT, Sens moving to Lebreton.

Admittedly, Ottawa was a black hole for fun in the 90s and 2000s, but it's actually becoming a proper "city" now.

Totally agreed.

I grew up here and love it here. I know it's not for everyone and depending on your interests, it's never going to hold a candle to the likes of Toronto or Montreal. But Ottawa is a greatly underrated city.

Fun tidit: Ottawa is getting the reputation of having quite the boardgame scene. There have been tons of shops and bars popping up that boasts about hosting gaming rooms on their premise.

zedge

How fitting that you'd be visiting the most hillbilly town in the Lower Mainland!

To be fair, Delta is probably more hillbilly
:lol so judgemental.

Although I saw more Cowboys in Maple Ridge than anywhere here. ;).

Have friends in Poco too. Trying to go to a Sounders game in Seattle while I'm out there also. July 3.

Razorskin

----- ------
Fun tidit: Ottawa is getting the reputation of having quite the boardgame scene. There have been tons of shops and bars popping up that boasts about hosting gaming rooms on their premise.

Where's the fun.

I've entertained the idea of moving there, but I have no idea how difficult it would be for someone who only speaks English to get up and place themselves there permanently.

You could get by without it, but you should learn it, depends on how much you'll deal with people on a day to day basis.

RevoDS

If you choose your area carefully, you should have no problem. Like, downtown or anything West of boulevard Saint-Laurent is mostly populated with people who are either bilingual or anglophones. Avoid the suburbs, the entire Eastern portion of the island along with the Plateau and you should get by without problems.

Nowadays, Montreal is almost evenly split between francophones and anglophones. Plenty of people don't speak French and get by, but you'll get the best experience if you aren't close-minded about it. I'm a native francophone and I just love the kind of language-mixing conversations I get with native anglophones or bilinguals. I love practicing my english and the opposite is true for many.

You can absolutely live in Montreal while speaking only english, but it doesn't mean you should remain that way.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Totally agreed.

I grew up here and love it here. I know it's not for everyone and depending on your interests, it's never going to hold a candle to the likes of Toronto or Montreal. But Ottawa is a greatly underrated city.

This

I love visiting big cities like Toronto, LA, New York etc, but I could never live there because the traffic alone would drive me nuts. Ottawa is perfect because both Montreal and Toronto are accessible as day trips(Toronto is a longer day but still :p).

Pikma

Banned
I don't want to move from San Diego, ever. And even less if it meant moving back to Texas, fucking hated living there as a kid. Life here is so damn comfortable, just hope I find a decent job once I graduate.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Where's the fun.

You could get by without it, but you should learn it, depends on how much you'll deal with people on a day to day basis.

If you choose your area carefully, you should have no problem. Like, downtown or anything West of boulevard Saint-Laurent is mostly populated with people who are either bilingual or anglophones. Avoid the suburbs, the entire Eastern portion of the island along with the Plateau and you should get by without problems.

Nowadays, Montreal is almost evenly split between francophones and anglophones. Plenty of people don't speak French and get by, but you'll get the best experience if you aren't close-minded about it. I'm a native francophone and I just love the kind of language-mixing conversations I get with native anglophones or bilinguals. I love practicing my english and the opposite is true for many.

You can absolutely live in Montreal while speaking only english, but it doesn't mean you should remain that way.
If I did move there, I'd for sure make an effort to pick it up, it's just a matter of getting by until I'm fluent enough to handle myself. It was pretty funny how quickly people could tell I didn't speak French when I was at the BC for the playoff game, I didn't even have to say anything.

If I did move there, I'd for sure make an effort to pick it up, it's just a matter of getting by until I'm fluent enough to handle myself. It was pretty funny how quickly people could tell I didn't speak French when I was at the BC for the playoff game, I didn't even have to say anything.

I speak some French but in Montreal they can usually tell I am not a native speaker and they switch to English anyway lol.

The only annoying thing I ever got is being in a group of people and they all prefer to converse in French. So if you're the only anglophone you're going to be sitting there nodding your head pretending you understand feeling like a complete idiot.

I had to sit through an entire day at work like this and it sucked, although a few people would make an effort and talk english with me for a while.

zedge

Langley's one of those places you only go to by mistake.

You guys are so hyperbolic. :p

Seemed fine when I was there. Just a big suburb really. Meh, its where were staying, not much of a choice. Its family on the Ex's side and they are awesome people. They have a big house with a hot tub too! Gonna be fun on Canada Day.

Smiley90

You guys are so hyperbolic. :p

Seemed fine when I was there. Just a big suburb really. Meh, its where were staying, not much of a choice. Its family on the Ex's side and they are awesome people. They have a big house with a hot tub too! Gonna be fun on Canada Day.

Yeah, only people from Langley would knowingly mix with Albertans

zedge thinks it's fine because it reminds him of home

they probably have cable, too

zedge

Yeah, only people from Langley would knowingly mix with Albertans

Isnt Smelly's GF from Calgary? ;)

zedge thinks it's fine because it reminds him of home

they probably have cable, too

Not really, too many white people. I live in NE Calgary, I'm a minority.

And yes to cable I think.. ;P Although I'll be in Vancouver lots.

On a serious note.. Where are the Canada Day firewoks in Van? And where is a good spot to see them?

Tabris

Nobody lives IN downtown Vancouver. We all live in the suburbs. Except RC, he hobo's around downtown

Speak for yourself ;)

Anywhere outside Vancouver is gross. Just get a bunch of roommates to live in Kits instead of that Burnaby garbage.

Oh, and most importantly...

son%252C%2Bnever%2Bgo%2Bto%2Bsurrey%25E2%2580%25A6.%2B.jpg

zedge

Speak for yourself ;)

Anywhere outside Vancouver is gross. Just get a bunch of roommates to live in Kits instead of that Burnaby garbage.

[IM]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MLVZrPk2Pd4/Tyg9YQZx05I/AAAAAAAAAEc/KfoGayBqfHM/w506-h750/son%252C%2Bnever%2Bgo%2Bto%2Bsurrey%25E2%2580%25A6.%2B.jpg[/IMG]

What about Richmond? Will be going to the night market for sure. :D

Tabris

What about Richmond? Will be going to the night market for sure. :D

Richmond is alright to go to for shopping, restaurants, asian culture stuff, playing snooker, and walking around Steveston (which is a poor man's seawall). Otherwise nope.

Pikma

Banned
So who all is grabbing Splatoon? I'm not sure if I can afford it at launch.
I'm getting it on Saturday, gonna play it with my barely functioning Gamepad until I can afford to fix it. I was going to wait but after the testfires no way I'm able to.

zroid

Banned
So who all is grabbing Splatoon? I'm not sure if I can afford it at launch.

I actually have an extra copy pre-ordered for $50 CDN (incl tax)... which would be like $40 for you? if that's more affordable

cross-border shipping would probably negate the savings anyway though

I actually have an extra copy pre-ordered for $50 CDN (incl tax)... which would be like $40 for you? if that's more affordable

cross-border shipping would probably negate the savings anyway though

I really appreciate the offer man but I've got some other things to take care of at the moment. We'll see what happens, I should have some commissions coming in soon to make up for things while I wait for a proper payday.

zroid

Banned
I really appreciate the offer man but I've got some other things to take care of at the moment. We'll see what happens, I should have some commissions coming in soon to make up for things while I wait for a proper payday.

no worries! I'm just going to return it anyways. I know some people are not thrilled with the $60 price tag ($70 here) so it almost feels like a waste to just get a refund.

RC

Banned
Speak for yourself ;)

son%252C%2Bnever%2Bgo%2Bto%2Bsurrey%25E2%2580%25A6.%2B.jpg

i'm an east Van guy through and through. Sure it's not as nice as the west side and further away from DT but at least there's no Indo Canadian gang violence there anymore.

Pikma

Banned
Any word on if the pro controller works with Splatoon? I know the game pad actually has functionality in this game but fuck I hate using that thing.
Nope, doesn't work, only for local multi for some dumb reason. Really hope they patch it in soon after launch.

Pikma

Banned
Holy shit, that FIFA thing's legit, didn't know CONCACAF was targeted too, that's great news

fuuuuuuuuuuuck
Yup, now imagine being stuck with a half broken Gamepad unless you either pay $100~ to fix it or buy a new one for $140~. That's me right now -_-

Top Bottom