• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Curufinwe

Maybe that guy the Phlyers hired will flame out in spectacular fashion!

Fei

I don't think I've ever seen a bad picture of Tim Murray. What a stud.

I still think Eichel was hyped up more than he should have been to make things more interesting with McDavid being a clear cut number 1. Eichel is still going to be great though.

Eh, why bother? There's been plenty of years where there's been a clear cut #1 without boosting up #2.

That's the one.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I still think Eichel was hyped up more than he should have been to make things more interesting with McDavid being a clear cut number 1. Eichel is still going to be great though.

Did you watch him play in the World Championships? He looked pretty dominant playing with men. I think he's closer to McDavid than you're giving him credit for.

Foggy

On a happier note, BJs signed Cody Goldbeeeeef to a 2-year $1.5mil extension. No idea what they see in this guy, but he's a cheap D-man so why not.

Quick

Banned
This has been me to some extent for the last few months. We got new projects at the same time that I started a 4-month professional course (nights and weekends). It's really forced me to be much better at time management, though, and take on better habits in general, in order to keep my stress at a reasonable level.

#1: Make sure you sleep well. No late night GAF or video games or Netflix.
#2: Remember - you'll be fine.

What is it you do in West Victoria?

I do admin work. Financial stuff.

One of my bosses came over and reassured that everything is okay. That was relieving.

I've been getting a good 8 hours of sleep, so I at least feel fresh in the morning. And I feel a lot better when I get to just drop this and go home.

Thanks again, guys. I don't mean to bog this thread down, but I just needed an outlet to type this all down. It's pretty theraputic. I will seek some help very soon.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Tony Granato to be asst coach of the Leafs? Fuck. I hope he's learned how to actually fucking coach cause I can't imagine a team more stacked than that Avs team and they still shit the bed.

Foggy

.....when did the other ones happen? During the draft lottery?

Not sure how I'm coming across, but the only thing I've done to besmirch the fine people of Buffalo is say that I'm not sympathetic when they lost the Cockwatch sweepstakes. Other than that, just my recent sarcastic claim that Buffalo is doomed forever eternal
hint: they're not, like not even close, like as far from doomed as possible
. What can I say, I'm just a loose cannon, a man on the edge, a ticking time bomb.

I do admin work. Financial stuff.

One of my bosses came over and reassured that everything is okay. That was relieving.

I've been getting a good 8 hours of sleep, so I at least feel fresh in the morning. And I feel a lot better when I get to just drop this and go home.

Thanks again, guys. I don't mean to bog this thread down, but I just needed an outlet to type this all down. It's pretty theraputic. I will seek some help very soon.

If you can't get to a therapist(you should still see one), then by all means vent away. I had a 6-months-of-hell job dealing with all sorts of anxiety and depression so I'm definitely sympathetic. Spending half your waking life in anxiety is nothing to take lightly. Everything is an opportunity and who knows, maybe in dealing with this you'll discover a new part of your life to appreciate as a means of coping with current problems.

We'll always be here to listen Quick.

Should You Need Us

zroid

Banned
Tony Granato to be asst coach of the Leafs? Fuck. I hope he's learned how to actually fucking coach cause I can't imagine a team more stacked than that Avs team and they still shit the bed.

Ferraro's brother in law?

Leafs Lunch / TSN broadcasts gonna be awkward

calder

I will seek some help very soon.

And we'll be here to gently remind you. Now that we know you have a day off next week (although, again, you do NOT need to wait for time off to go to a doctor ever) and you plan to go then we will be asking again.

calder

Just because zroid is easily one of my favourite nhl-gaf peeps, here is Pronman's mock draft.

The following is something we at ESPN Insider refer to as a "Grade A Mock Draft," which is unlike other mock drafts in which I use all the information at my disposal to try to predict a team's selections. In this case, I merely state which player I would take if I were in each team's position at a given slot, with the board having played out as it has. I take into account my personal draft board, organizational needs and structure.

This will be pretty similar to my actual draft board for obvious reasons, in that positional need in the NHL draft is less important than in the NFL or NBA draft due to the amount of time it takes to get to the NHL.

Detailed notes on the players mentioned -- and rationales for why some are regarded so highly -- can be found at my feature on the top 100 draft prospects.

1. Edmonton Oilers

Connor McDavid, C, Erie (OHL)
DOB: 1/13/97 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 190
2014-15 GP: 47 | G: 44 | A: 76

Best prospect since Sidney Crosby. Plug him into your top six next season, and watch him fly. A monkey could make this pick.

2. Buffalo Sabres

Jack Eichel, C, Boston University (Hockey East)
DOB: 10/28/96 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 194
2014-15 GP: 40 | G: 26 | A: 45

The monkey could make this pick too, as Eichel would be the first overall pick in many of the draft classes of the past 10 years.

3. Arizona Coyotes

Mitch Marner, C, London (OHL)
DOB: 5/5/97 | Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 163
2014-15 GP: 63 | G: 44 | A: 82

There's a lot being said about this being a match, with Marner's "chemistry" with London teammate (and Coyotes 2013 draft pick) Max Domi cited often when discussing this scenario. He's the best prospect at this slot, chemistry or not. A first-team OHL All-Star, Marner is an elite puck handler and passer who skates well and isn't that bad off the puck. The Yotes have a lot of great forward prospects, but they need as much help as they can get up front.

4. Toronto Maple Leafs

Dylan Strome, C, Erie (OHL)
DOB: 3/7/97 | Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 187
2014-15 GP: 68 | G: 45 | A: 84

Much has been made of Strome's less-than-elite OHL playoffs, and while that was certainly not ideal, it didn't take away from a great season -- or his elite tool kit. If he was just awful in the postseason, it would have been a potentially different situation, but that wasn't the case. With this pick, Strome becomes one of the early foundations of the Toronto rebuild.

5. Carolina Hurricanes

Noah Hanifin, D, Boston College (Hockey East)
DOB: 1/25/97 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 205
2014-15 GP: 37 | G: 5 | A: 18

One could argue that the Hurricanes have done a lot to address young defensemen by taking Ryan Murphy and Haydn Fleury in the first round, and they have Justin Faulk, too. However, like any team picking this high, they need help everywhere, and there is a talent drop-off after the first five.

6. New Jersey Devils

Mathew Barzal, C, Seattle-WHL
DOB: 5/26/97 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 181
2014-15 GP: 44 | G: 12 | A: 45

I'm going into a full sprint to get to the podium to make this pick, because the Devils really, really need a top-end forward in their system. (They needed that guy two years ago, actually). Barzal is a dynamic playmaking center who was excellent in the second half of the season.

7. Philadelphia Flyers

Travis Konecny, C, Ottawa (OHL)
DOB: 3/11/97 | Ht: 5-10 | Wt: 172
2014-15 GP: 60 | G: 29 | A: 39

Konecny may not cause me to race up to the podium to make the pick because of his so-so production this season, but I'd be doing a light jog. He's a dynamic skater and puck handler, who is tough, plays his rear off, and is very smart. He has nearly every ability you want, other than size.

8. Columbus Blue Jackets

Zach Werenski, D, Michigan (Big Ten)
DOB: 7/19/97 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 214
2014-15 GP: 35 | G: 9 | A: 16

Werenski fits on a "best player available" level here, and also because the Blue Jackets' biggest organizational need is on defense. They've stocked up on young forwards between Alexander Wennberg, Marko Dano, Kerby Rychel, Sonny Milano and Oliver Bjorkstrand, but really could use a top-end guy on the back end. Werenski is that guy.

9. San Jose Sharks

Evgeny Svechnikov, LW, Cape Breton (QMJHL)
DOB: 10/31/96 | Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 205
2014-15 GP: 55 | G: 32 | A: 46

The Sharks have begun to stock up on young assets in their "rebuild," but overall the system is thin on those kinds of guys. I immediately go with the best player available on my board in this scenario, in the ultra-talented Svechnikov.

10. Colorado Avalanche

Lawson Crouse, LW, Kingston (OHL)
DOB: 6/23/97 | Ht: 6-4 | Wt: 212
2014-15 GP: 56 | G: 29 | A: 22

The argument here will be that the Avs need defense, and I considered taking Ivan Provorov, but frankly they need forwards, too. They have a lot of great young players, but don't exactly have a very deep roster, and do have someone like Chris Bigras coming on defense as a top prospect. They need to take best player available; on my board, that's Crouse.

11. Florida Panthers

Mikko Rantanen, RW, TPS (Liiga)
DOB: 10/29/96 | Ht: 6-4 | Wt: 209
2014-15 GP: 56 | G: 9 | A: 19

The first deviation from my draft board happens at 11, going with Rantanen instead of Pavel Zacha. The rationale is that Zacha typically gets value from playing center, but Florida is loaded down the middle for the future with Aleksander Barkov and Nick Bjugstad, not to mention Vince Trocheck and Rocco Grimaldi. Getting a natural winger like Rantanen is preferable.

12. Dallas Stars

Pavel Zacha, C, Sarnia (OHL)
DOB: 4/6/97 | Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 214
2014-15 GP: 37 | G: 16 | A: 18

I probably would have put Provorov here with the info I had six months ago, given the lack of depth of left-handed D-men in the Dallas organization, but the very strong play of prospect Esa Lindell gives me reason to believe the Stars can at the least get an NHLer out of him, and maybe a good one. Zacha can play wing or center, although one projects him eventually to replace an aging Jason Spezza (in role, not necessarily expected production).

13. Los Angeles Kings

Ivan Provorov, D, Brandon (WHL)
DOB: 1/13/97 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 201
2014-15 GP: 60 | G: 15 | A: 46

The Kings have a few solid prospects on defense, but for the most part are pretty thin at that position in their org. Their forward situation isn't a ton better, but they have a few high-upside guys and depth on their AHL team. I have Kyle Connor ranked a spot higher than Provorov, but the difference is marginal.

14. Boston Bruins

Kyle Connor, LW, Youngstown (USHL)
DOB: 12/9/96 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 183
2014-15 GP: 56 | G: 34 | A: 46

The Bruins' system doesn't look pretty in general at the moment, and needs as much talent as it can get, so I go with my best player available. The big club needs defense more than forwards, but overall, I don't see a real pressing need that should translate to the draft pick, especially in the middle of the first round. Let's face it, at this point of the draft, whoever the Bruins pick isn't going to skate in Boston next season anyhow.

15. Calgary Flames

Oliver Kylington, D, Farjestad (SHL)
DOB: 5/19/97 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 181
2014-15 GP: 18 | G: 2 | A: 3

The last defenseman picked by Calgary in the first round who played a game for them was Dion Phaneuf, in 2003. While the Flames may have gotten a real value pick in 2014 in Brandon Hickey, overall they could use a shot in the arm on defense, and Kylington is the best player here as well to me.

16. Edmonton Oilers (from the Penguins)

Jeremy Bracco, USNTDP (USHL)
DOB: 3/17/97 | Ht: 5-9 | Wt: 172
2014-15 GP: 24 | G: 14 | A: 18

I hear the Oilers fans racing to their keyboards to type "Not another small forward!" But Bracco has played so well this season, and defends well too, showing the ability to overcome his size. He had a record-breaking season at the NTDP in terms of assists, being one of the most productive under-18 players in the program's history.

17. Winnipeg Jets

Daniel Sprong, RW, Charlottetown (QMJHL)
DOB: 3/17/97 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 192
2014-15 GP: 68 | G: 39 | A: 49

Sprong fits at this spot not only as my best player, but as a fit for the Jets' rebuild, given the top young players they've got at other positions: Jacob Trouba and Josh Morrissey on defense, Mark Scheifele and Nic Petan at center, and Nikolaj Ehlers and Adam Lowry at left wing. The right side hasn't been touched much thus far, although Joel Armia has a chance to play that side for them.

18. Ottawa Senators

Jeremy Roy, D, Sherbrooke (QMJHL)
DOB: 5/14/97 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 183
2014-15 GP: 46 | G: 5 | A: 38

The Senators' system is pretty light, but if you look at the organization's total young assets, there is a pressing need for a real top defense prospect. Cody Ceci has been fine-ish in the NHL, but after him, you get to above average but not great prospect Mikael Wikstrand and 25-year-old Chris Wideman. If he develops, Roy helps fill that void.

19. Detroit Red Wings

Erik Cernak, D, Kosice (Slovak Extraliga)
DOB: 5/28/97 | Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 203
2014-15 GP: 43 | G: 5 | A: 13

The Red Wings have built a very strong farm system, and while I'd argue they're lighter at defense than forward, this pick comes down to upside. Cernak is one of the biggest home run swings in the draft as a big, mobile, skilled, physical defenseman. There's uncertainty around him, but with depth in the pipeline, this is a great shot to take.

20. Minnesota Wild

Colin White, C, USNTDP (USHL)
DOB: 1/30/97 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 183
2014-15 GP: 20 | G: 4 | A: 13

I go off my board a few picks here due to the amount of good young players in the organization; in other words, the Wild can afford to be a little picky. Even with all their young forwards, they don't have a guy who really fits into the prototypical role of a good two-way center. White can be that prospect.

21. Buffalo Sabres (from the Islanders)

Nick Merkley, RW, Kelowna (WHL)
DOB: 5/23/97 | Ht: 5-10 | Wt: 187
2014-15 GP: 72 | G: 20 | A: 70

Best player available here for the Sabres. No reason to think about doing anything else, given the state of their NHL team. Merkley is 18th on my board, and has a ton of offensive upside although he's not the biggest player.

22. Washington Capitals

Mitchell Stephens, C, Saginaw (OHL)
DOB: 2/5/97 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 183
2014-15 GP: 62 | G: 22 | A: 26

Similar in some ways to the Minnesota rationale, I'm looking at an organization that is going to have Alex Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom, Andre Burakovsky, Marcus Johansson, Evgeny Kuznetsov and Jakub Vrana playing on its roster for the foreseeable future, so I ask: Who is the big-minutes forward who is leaned on for the tough defensive minutes? Stephens is a great skater with skill who can provide that flexibility in the organization.

23. Vancouver Canucks

Anthony Beauvillier, C, Shawinigan (QMJHL)
DOB: 6/8/97 | Ht: 5-10 | Wt: 181
2014-15 GP: 67 | G: 42 | A: 52

Beauvillier is the best player on my board here, but also provides a skill influx for the Canucks' system. I was thinking that due to the amount of two-way players they have at forward, I should just look at pure offense, but a lot of the best forwards available like Beauvillier, Jansen Harkins, Timo Meier, Sebastian Aho, David Kase and Jake DeBrusk all can play in their own end too. Beauvillier brings the most offensive skill of them all, so he's the pick.

24. Toronto Maple Leafs (from the Predators)

Jansen Harkins, C, Prince George (WHL)
DOB: 5/23/97 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 181
2014-15 GP: 70 | G: 20 | A: 59

Adding Harkins to an org with centers like Strome and William Nylander may get some comments, but I think most of them have the flexibility to move off to the wing if needed. I haven't seen Strome play wing in a while, but the other two have done it successfully.

25. Winnipeg Jets (from the Blues via the Sabres)

Mitchell Vande Sompel, D, Oshawa (OHL)
DOB: 2/11/97 | Ht: 5-10 | Wt: 181
2014-15 GP: 58 | G: 12 | A: 51

Given the great young strength of its team and system, why not have Winnipeg take a shot at one of the biggest wild cards in the draft? Vande Sompel is a bona fide "rover" who can play seemingly every position well, and has done so this season -- skating as a forward and defenseman. He hasn't played goalie yet, although I won't put it past him.

26. Montreal Canadiens

Rasmus Andersson, D, Barrie (OHL)
DOB: 10/27/96 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 209
2014-15 GP: 67 | G: 12 | A: 52

The Habs could really use a natural center in their system, and barring a trade, taking another wing seems to be adding too much depth to that spot. The transition this season of 2013 first-round pick Michael McCarron from wing to center in the OHL may alleviate some of those issues, but we'll see if he can stick at the position in the pros.

27. Philadelphia Flyers (from the Lightning)

Timo Meier, RW, Halifax (QMJHL)
DOB: 10/8/96 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 209
2014-15 GP: 61 | G: 44 | A: 46

The Flyers' system is stacked on defense, and even with adding Konecny at the No. 7 pick, bringing in more offensive firepower is what they should be looking to do, especially if the talent lines up like it does here.

28. Arizona Coyotes (from the Blackhawks)

Sebastian Aho, LW, Karpat (Liiga)
DOB: 7/26/97 | Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 172
2014-15 GP: 27 | G: 4 | A: 7

Aho is a favorite of mine -- and I know I like him a lot more than the industry -- but I would have no issues taking a player like him toward the end of the first round. He's fast, skilled, smart and can play at both ends of the rink. Along with Marner at No. 3, he'd help continue the rebuild of Arizona's disastrous forward situation

29. Tampa Bay Lightning (from the Rangers)

Brock Boeser, RW, Waterloo (USHL)
DOB: 2/25/97 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 192
2014-15 GP: 57 | G: 35 | A: 33

Boeser fits into Tampa's plans in two ways. One, he complements all the high-skill small forwards the Lightning have with his power game and ability to play in the front of the net. Second, because he's a college-bound player (North Dakota), Tampa can wait three or four years on him, since so many of its core players will remain on the roster in the near future.

30. Anaheim Ducks

Jake DeBrusk, LW, Swift Current (WHL)
DOB: 10/17/96 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 176
2014-15 GP: 72 | G: 42 | A: 39

DeBrusk is the BPA on my board here, and for Anaheim -- which has a lot of good, young players in its pipeline at all positions -- this is simply the right (albeit boring) move to make. DeBrusk is a productive, highly skilled player who plays the game with intensity.

zroid

Banned

calder

This pic creeps me out.

To me that expression screams "fuck this noise never woulda bothered had I known I'd have to give up a third rounder, that's bullshit..."

And I'm sure we'd all agree, really hope the NHL fixes that stupid loophole this offseason because, as McKenzie and others have said on twitter, a lot of the teams that voted yes for the front office staff compensation rules did it on the assumption that it didn't apply to ppl who were fired.

Top Bottom