• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Calamari41

41 > 38
I unfortunately started playing New Vegas very soon after a second dozens-of-hours playthrough of 3, so the burnout kept me from getting too far.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Mine is still on the shelf, unplayed :(

It sounds amazing, but these days I prefer the quicker fixes, like Smash 4 or Splatoon.

yeah it makes me sad but I just prefer games that won't take me tons of time now. I just don't have as much time as I used to to devote to games.

I truly am becoming an old. :(

zroid

Banned
yeah it makes me sad but I just prefer games that won't take me tons of time now. I just don't have as much time as I used to to devote to games.

I truly am becoming an old. :(

I was having this exact conversation with my friend in the car last night lol

it ended with me saying "I'm getting too old"

Pikma

Banned
I was having this exact conversation with my friend in the car last night lol

it ended with me saying "I'm getting too old"
I used to think this the last time I got a job while still going to school, but going back to being an unemployed student fixed it. :p

Solo

Haven't played any games in 2 years. Don't get hyped for announcements like this anymore. The Last Of Us will likely go down as the final game I played.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Haven't played any games in 2 years. Don't get hyped for announcements like this anymore. The Last Of Us will likely go down as the final game I played.

Yeah my hype levels are virtually gone.

Mario Kart 8 was the last game I really got hype for and made me buy the system.

Heck it's the only game in the last 4 years that I've still gone back to after beyond a month.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm the same way with single player focused games. If there's some sort of goal to reach, I just feel like I absolutely have to devote so much time to it.

I can easily sink 50 hours into multiplayer games, but feel overwhelmed by a story that's going to take a few hours to finish.

I've put 13 hours into Splatoon so far, and none of it is from the single player mode.

Giggzy

I'm the complete opposite. Now that I'm growing older in age, I prefer single player games with a good story instead of multiplayer games (besides FIFA). I don't have the time or reactions to be good in MP anymore. Especially since I used to play CS 1.6 at such a high level. My personal expectations haven't lowered over time with where my skill once was, so now I just rage when I keep getting owned instead of accepting my mediocrity.

I haven't really played many games this year now that I think about it. Just BloodBorne and now loving TW3.

Merguson

Banned
I'm the same way with single player focused games. If there's some sort of goal to reach, I just feel like I absolutely have to devote so much time to it.

I can easily sink 50 hours into multiplayer games, but feel overwhelmed by a story that's going to take a few hours to finish.

I've put 13 hours into Splatoon so far, and none of it is from the single player mode.

I'm the opposite. I avoid MP games because I want to try out new experiences constantly. That's usually why MP-focused games never really hold my attention for long.

The last MP game that I liked was Halo 3 where I sunk a lot of hours into it.

I don't mind playing any SP game. I just do it by piecemeal since I don't feel like I have to devote a lot of hours at any particular time to a game.

Beleskey and Beauch both want to stay in Anaheim, but I'm not sure we can afford both. The way both were speaking yesterday seems like they're willing to be reasonable with their salary expectations. They've been here for a long time, through thick and thin, and don't want to leave knowing a cup is so close for this team.

I feel okay if we don't resign either one, but I'd rather keep bells if I had to choose.

We have $20 million to play with.

Priorities (not in order)
  • Sign Kesler to an extension, he's only here one more year then he's a UFA. Let's just get rid of the idea he can leave us for Detroit/Toronto next year)
  • Resign Silfverberg to a bridge contract, dude deserves it
  • Resign Etem (probably won't be pricey at all with how he's performed)

Getting Beauchemin to take a reasonable deal isn't too hard. The hard part is finding a spot for Beauchemin, he wasn't great in the WCF. Our top 6: Lindholm, Fowler, Despres, Wisniewski, Vatanen, Stoner. Josh Manson is solid and can earn a spot, but he's no Beauchemin.

Also forgot Lindholm only makes under 900k next year then is a RFA, need to sign him up too.

Beleskey deserves a raise, but not sure how much of a discount he can take and how much we can give considering the other players we want to sign/extend.

edit: BTW Mario Kart 8 is Game of the Year material. So much fun. Kave_Man has taste. Not bad for a cat.

Socreges

Banned
The gf and I play NSMBU and MK8 on occasion. They've held our attention for almost an entire year, and we've rarely played games together otherwise. Pretty amazing multiplayer (and social) experiences.

For my part I only really play backlog games these days (ones I haven't completed already). I can't justify spending $50-$70 on a game anymore. Dark Souls is better than anything new out there anyhow.

I'm much more of a multiplayer person but it's been quite a long time for any mp game to come out that has held me for long. I'm VERY hopeful that Overwatch will be the next thing I latch onto for a long time but I don't know. It's hard to get me to sit down and play a single player narrative driven thing.

Giggzy

We have $20 million to play with.

Priorities (not in order)
  • Sign Kesler to an extension, he's only here one more year then he's a UFA. Let's just get rid of the idea he can leave us for Detroit/Toronto next year)
  • Resign Silfverberg to a bridge contract, dude deserves it
  • Resign Etem (probably won't be pricey at all with how he's performed)

Getting Beauchemin to take a reasonable deal isn't too hard. The hard part is finding a spot for Beauchemin, he wasn't great in the WCF. Our top 6: Lindholm, Fowler, Despres, Wisniewski, Vatanen, Stoner. Josh Manson is solid and can earn a spot, but he's no Beauchemin.

Also forgot Lindholm only makes under 900k next year then is a RFA, need to sign him up too.

Beleskey deserves a raise, but not sure how much of a discount he can take and how much we can give considering the other players we want to sign/extend.

edit: BTW Mario Kart 8 is Game of the Year material. So much fun. Kave_Man has taste. Not bad for a cat.

Agree with your priority list 100%. Kesler in his exit interview spoke extremely high words of this club, and said he won't leave until the team wins the cup, as he knows we're so close.

Kesler, who has one year left on his contract, says this team has what it takes to go all the way – something he wants to be a part of.

“This locker room is one of the closest locker rooms I’ve been in,” said Kesler, who before coming to Anaheim spent his entire career in Vancouver. “This team is a very close-knit family. I’m happy here. This team is going to be destined for great things. I want to be around for it.”

I'm still bitter losing the way we did (and three consecutive years in a row), but it's still a pleasant feeling to know that this team still hasn't reached its full potential. Good times ahead!

Agree with your priority list 100%. Kesler in his exit interview spoke extremely high words of this club, and said he won't leave until the team wins the cup, as he knows we're so close.

I'm still bitter losing the way we did (and three consecutive years in a row), but it's still a pleasant feeling to know that this team still hasn't reached its full potential. Good times ahead!

Haven't even considered what possible upgrades are out there. Maybe a free agent wants to play for a contender at a reasonable value on a short term contract? Our avocados are hand sliced. HAND SLICED.

I feel like we can stick with this group now and hope the experience makes them better for next year. Just need some tweaks. If a team wants to give up an elite defenseman we can make a trade too. Otherwise we wait it out for Lindholm to become that elite defenseman.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
finally going to crack open Splatoon today I think, didn't have a chance to yesterday

need to add yalls NNIDs, those I don't have already anyway

edit: sent friend requests to a bunch of you from the NHLGAF list

You can play with me and lamaroo.

I still like long games. I don't care how long they take me. I just go at my own pace. I don't tend to play a huge amount of games anyway. Next games I'm looking forward to are Persona 5 and Yakuza 5.

Jblanks

He also said a lotttt of teams have Provorov over Hanifin do that wouldn't be crazy.

Well he's also not really a reliable insider; if Bobby Mac or Dregs come out and say that then I'll believe it..

Really don't want to pass on Marner/Hanifin.

Socreges

Banned
Benning talking up Markstrom as being NHL-ready now. Not buying his confidence, but I think he'll serve fine as a backup for next season.

Please trade Miller, please trade Miller...

Calamari41

41 > 38
Haven't even considered what possible upgrades are out there. Maybe a free agent wants to play for a contender at a reasonable value on a short term contract? Our avocados are hand sliced. HAND SLICED.

I feel like we can stick with this group now and hope the experience makes them better for next year. Just need some tweaks. If a team wants to give up an elite defenseman we can make a trade too. Otherwise we wait it out for Lindholm to become that elite defenseman.

When it comes down to it, we really don't need to make any major moves. Maybe a tweak here or there, but the group we have now would be playing in the SCF tonight if one of those marathon OT games had gone the other way.

zroid

Banned
When it comes down to it, we really don't need to make any major moves. Maybe a tweak here or there, but the group we have now would be playing in the SCF tonight if one of those marathon OT games had gone the other way.

AKA don't Shork yourselves

Samyy

Barzal > Strome

there I said it.

Could be entirely possible, Barzal was ranked #2 a while ago, not that he deserves to be there now but he could have been a top 5 pick had he not gotten injured.

His production was really intriguing given he has like no one to play with.

RC

Banned
Benning talking up Markstrom as being NHL-ready now. Not buying his confidence, but I think he'll serve fine as a backup for next season.

I'm sure Benning will trade a goalie, it just won't be Miller.

I haven't played an SP game since beating Dragon Age a few months ago. Trying to get into Fire Emblem Awakening though.

I've been spending more time playing MP games with friends.

ShaneB

Other than Madden, my games played over approximately the same time frame is completely barren. Got rid of my old consoles after they collected dust for years and traded in for a Maddenstation 4... and then went and sold that after realizing I'd never play it for much of anything else, sold the 2 Last of Us codes that came with it as well.

The XCOM 2 news is cool, but I just don't get excited for games these days. Just the last thing I should be focusing on. I suppose I am wondering about that Joe Montana football game if it comes to pc or even exists, but other then that just feels like lots of other stuff I'd rather be doing than playing games. I get an itch to play some Civ, but every time I think to load a game, I say nah...

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I haven't had much time to play in a while, but Witcher 3 has got its grip on me. After 56 hours in Project Eternity, 30 hours in Witcher 2 I'm now at 88 hours of Witcher 3 and not done yet... Will definitely finish with 100+ hours played

Calamari41

41 > 38
My time for gaming isn't ultra-limited, but it's limited to the point where I get incredibly impatient if I find myself sitting there listening to people talk for too long rather than playing. Which basically means that I play Nintendo and Souls games primarily these days.

I want to play Witcher 3, but I think I'm too bad at those games. I got wrecked in the combat tutorial for Witcher 2 and quit shortly thereafter.

My time for gaming isn't ultra-limited, but it's limited to the point where I get incredibly impatient if I find myself sitting there listening to people talk for too long rather than playing. Which basically means that I play Nintendo and Souls games primarily these days.

I want to play Witcher 3, but I think I'm too bad at those games. I got wrecked in the combat tutorial for Witcher 2 and quit shortly thereafter.
This one isn't as hard as the Witcher 2 and I played on the hardest difficulty in both.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
The last story based game I bought was Bayonetta 2. I ended up playing the first game for about an hour, and haven't gone back to it sadly.

calder

I found the combat in Witcher 2 to be terrible and horribly explained, and the tutorial level was fucking Bloodborne-level hard for me. Just a really bad first hour for W2, it killed the whole game for me.

It's much better in W3 and I found it fun from the beginning. It's definitely not as frustrating.

Socreges

Banned

*high-five*

Do I need to read up on the stories of the first two before I jump in?

I've never played the Witcher 1 and it only had a handful of characters refrenced that I didn't know from 2. I think the game is much more enjoyable knowing what happened in the Witcher 2. Additionally, Witcher 3 has a character glossary that gives character background.

Is this basically Vancouver's Price or Halak Situation?

I hope they don't trade Eddie. Ryan Miller Sucks though.

Top Bottom