• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

The transition from hockey to baseball is always the most jarring point of the year.

It doesn't help that at the beginning of the season the Angels either play like God's own team or a bunch of little league r-words, and never in between.

And let's be real baseball is fun in person and with a good crowd.

Quick

Banned
Jon Stewart tonight is a must watch. Guy is not holding back in his final weeks.

Jon talks about the shooting at Charleston.

I haven't watched The Daily Show consistently in probably a year or so now (cut cable), but you can always count on Jon Stewart to give you an honest reminder of how fucked up America can be.

I think it's funny anytime someone brings up Jon Stewart on Crossfire, labeling his show as a "comedy show", but it's really transcended that label. It's still comedy, but he can bring out some serious truths that no other actual news programs can and should bring up.

I'm not gonna jump on the "America sucks" bandwagon, since that's just not true. Speaking as a Canadian that's been to the US multiple times, it's so much more than a blanket statement like that. But he brings up such a good point that fighting extremism in the middle east or anywhere around the world is pointless when shit like what happened in Charleston happens semi-regularly.

I also think it's worth watching Obama's statement on the shooting. Not a whole lot more that hasn't been said, but he brings up how easily attainable guns are, and I'm reminded about how messed up that fact can be.

Concluding with Jon's statement, it's really fucked up that the Confederate flag still flies in Charlotte. It's such a slap in the face to the black community, to put it mildly. "Free speech" often pops up when people talk about flying the Confederate flag without any fucks given, and it's such a bastardization of the First Amendment.

You know what's fucked up? I see shit like hats or coasters with the Confederate Flag at CANADIAN TIRE. It's just sad and fucked up that the Confederate Flag symbol is still glorified by some small population in Canada, since Canadian Tire hasn't taken them off their shelves last time I was there. And what's more sad and fucked up is the people who buy them might not have any idea of the connotation the flag brings with it.

/Quick rant

Socreges

Banned
I also think it's worth watching Obama's statement on the shooting. Not a whole lot more that hasn't been said, but he brings up how easily attainable guns are, and I'm reminded about how messed up that fact can be.
Typical Obama capitalizing on the deaths of black people. Everyone should grieve. And do nothing else. Don't discuss race relations. Don't talk about gun control. Simply single out the one sick individual, blame him, and otherwise just be sad and care about black people for a few moments because otherwise we look unsympathetic, racist and partisan. It's sad. This is sad. Very sad. But you know what's sadder? The liberal obsession with turning tragedies into opportunities to promote their anti-freedom agenda. This moment, when the concerns are actually on people's minds and they might be motivated to see things change, is absolutely NOT the appropriate time to discuss gun control. You must grieve. And wait. Then when people have moved on to something less important, then we can have these conversations. In the privacy of our homes or something. Guns are good and no I'm not pandering to the NRA and gun lovers in order to ensure support from my political base second amendment freedom country music raised on a farm that's ridiculous.

Marvie_3

Banned
Typical Obama capitalizing on the deaths of black people. Everyone should grieve. And do nothing else. Don't discuss race relations. Don't talk about gun control. Simply single out the one sick individual, blame him, and otherwise just be sad and care about black people for a few moments because otherwise we look unsympathetic, racist and partisan. It's sad. This is sad. Very sad. But you know what's sadder? The liberal obsession with turning tragedies into opportunities to promote their anti-freedom agenda. This moment, when the concerns are actually on people's minds and they might be motivated to see things change, is absolutely NOT the appropriate time to discuss gun control. You must grieve. And wait. Then when people have moved on to something less important, then we can have these conversations. In the privacy of our homes or something. Guns are good and no I'm not pandering to the NRA and gun lovers in order to ensure support from my political base second amendment freedom country music raised on a farm that's ridiculous.
tee hee

ShaneB

I'm starting to miss hockey already. Tried to watch some baseball but it's just not my thing, way better than basketball though.

Watching baseball on tv in the summer is always a iffy proposition. I love baseball, but can't be bothered to sit and watch anywhere near a 162 game season in the summer time. It's why most will agree watching games live is a far better experience, but I hate the Rogers Centre, so it's why I've been more familiar with listening to games on the radio while outside in some fashion. I'll spend plenty of my summer nights now outside doing that or reading. And yes, I'm just happy the Jays are playing well, and praying it continues and they stay relevant.

In a week I'll be flying to St John's visiting some friends, can't wait for that. Also hitting a driving range after work today. First time I've been anywhere near playing golf in a few years.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I would go to a ton of Jays games if I lived in TO. Also watch quite a bit on TV. Not always paying super close attention, but it is always on.

Is MLB Gaf any good? Don't know if I can be bothered....

Calamari41

41 > 38
I would go to a ton of Jays games if I lived in TO. Also watch quite a bit on TV. Not always paying super close attention, but it is always on.

Is MLB Gaf any good? Don't know if I can be bothered....

I went in there during the playoffs last season, and it was pretty dire. This thread was moving like four times as fast, and the people who were participating were huge dicks for no reason.

I skimmed that LeBrun piece about Bernier and Kessel. He spoke to some 'executives' who told him the Leafs would need to eat more of Kessel's salary if they wanted to move him.

If the Leafs have to eat any of Uncle Phil's salary, they'd better bet getting something extremely valuable in return. If not, they should just keep him.

sounds like they need their own zroid.

zroid already does Leafs/NHL-GAF proud in the MLB threads.

dem

One week to go!

article_b04f13a8-1168-4f08-a1fc-42fbd486fc33.PNG

Kessel asking price too high

I underestimated his donut consumption...

I could never really get in baseball. It seems too slow for me, I guess, but it as a great "watch in the background" game for me. The level of coordination among the fielding team can be impressive though.

Cake Boss

Banned

CH3hQV0WoAA8uib.jpg

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Of course Kessel's asking price is super high.

I'd be disappointed if it wasn't. It's not like they're trying to ship out a 35+ year old guy, he's a guy just entering his prime.

calder

Reading a few TSN articles and accidentally dragged my eyes across some of the comments.. fuck me it sucks that Oilers fans suddenly exist again and they're acting up *already*.

I wonder if the upcoming 10th place conference finish is going to thin their herd yet again.
I hope they don't trade for Talbot, that could ruin everything

zroid

Banned

I'd be disappointed if it wasn't. It's not like they're trying to ship out a 35+ year old guy, he's a guy just entering his prime.

unlike Pha9 where the goal of trading him should mostly just be to move on and get cap relief, Phil should only be moved if they were getting valuable young assets and picks back. if other teams aren't comfortable with that then you don't trade Phil. Not this year at least.

Quick

Banned

If anything, the team is probably just getting a feel of how the market is right now.

Foggy

Days like yesterday/today would motivate me to move to Canada if it weren't such a daunting prospect. What a country this is.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Welcome to Detroit!

As for Glendale, is this move happening this offseason?

Depends. Preliminary hearing is on the 29th. Depositions/discovery occur throughout July and proceedings are like Aug7-14th or something.

Apparently the coyotes have yet to post the $250k bond.

If Leblanc feels there's a chance they will lose, he will sell, relocate and run.

B.D. Gallof ‏@BDGallof 17m17 minutes ago
Per NHL source, CHI currently asking for 1st rd pick, A-level prospect & top 6 forward on entry-level contract for Patrick Sharp #isles
Oh, there's just no way they'd get that.

Top Bottom